• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Before the days of smartphones I used to draw a map of where I wanted to go on a small bit of paper and put it in with my bus pass.

And when I say before the days of smartphones I really should say I still do it to this day.

CHEEZMO™;90775226 said:
I remember when I only had 4 channels on the telly.

You are far too young to remember this.

I on the other hand do remember this.

I also remember when if you didn't know something, you had to wait until you were home and look it up in a book.

CHEEZMO™;90775226 said:
I remember when I only had 4 channels on the telly.

I used to piss off my parents by turning the TV over to channel 5 to see the looping preview segment before it launched. Also in that era: SMTV Live and the first episode of Pokemon. Life was good.

I just about remember when there were only 3 channels...

ok, so I was 2, but still!

I was 9 months old.

im-so-old.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I used to game on my SNES Control Deck on a black and white TV.

Well to be correct it was in colour, but it was so old that the colour picture was blurry so to get a better picture I had to sacrifice colour. I would also have to manually tune it all the time.

SKINNER!

Banned
Morning fellow britgaffers! Had my first baseball practise yesterday. Got my own personal catching mitt since I'm the only leftie in the team. Perfected my swing in one session too but didn't get much of a chance to thump the ball hard since we were indoors in a sports hall of a bizarrely well-funded public (free) catholic school. Really need to practise catching with my right hand...and invest in a groin cup :X

f0rk

Have to be in Stockholm for work all next week as well, stuff like this is pushing me towards getting a 3DS.

Maybe I'll bring my Vita this time and see if I actually play it. The hardware is great but it just doesn't have the same library of super high quality games. Gucamelee and Splunkey are both really good but nothing compares to the main Nintendo games, especially now the 3DS has some history behind it.

Have to be in Stockholm for work all next week as well, stuff like this is pushing me towards getting a 3DS.

Maybe I'll bring my Vita this time and see if I actually play it. The hardware is great but it just doesn't have the same library of super high quality games. Gucamelee and Splunkey are both really good but nothing compares to the main Nintendo games, especially now the 3DS has some history behind it.

You could always pick up Tearaway since it's meant to be the first 'must have' on the Vita.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I just about remember when there were only 3 channels...

I remember that too, because at the time I was working for Granada TV trying (and eventually succeeding) to get the advertising sales system to work for multiple channels. It was a somewhat strange startup because Equity blocked live actors from appearing in Channel 4 ads over some rights issue or other, so all the ads were displays or cartoons for about a year.

Seems like the remote past now.

In my childhood there were only two channels.

I remember that too, because at the time I was working for Granada TV trying (and eventually succeeding) to get the advertising sales system to work for multiple channels. It was a somewhat strange startup because Equity blocked live actors from appearing in Channel 4 ads over some rights issue or other, so all the ads were displays or cartoons for about a year.

Wow that's really bizarre! I never knew that. Always learn something interesting from phisheep.

f0rk

You could always pick up Tearaway since it's meant to be the first 'must have' on the Vita.

This is a good shout. I'm flying back for the weekend so I'll so if I can pick it up on PSN.

Reading the reception to Zelda and 3D World makes them both sound pretty great. On this weeks Bombcast the part they talked about these games got me way more interested in Nintendo than the previous hour or two did about next gen consoles. The whole 'recreating nostalgia' thing isn't something that always gets me but Pokemon and Zelda (I think it was Seasons) were some of my first gaming experiences and between those and Mario isn't hard to think of a better initial collection of games for a console.

jimbor

Banned
Is CS alive? Maybe he's tied naked to his bed at home, his date having robbed him blind. That would seem par for the course.

Mindwipe

Similar thing happened when Channel 4 first launched their online simulcast - Equity threw a paddy, so C4 ended up having to blank all the adverts and just have the shows for about a week while it got hashed out.

Good times.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
God damn, Cards Against Humanity is a great game. Just played it for the first time with my girlfriend and her brother and sister-in-law. Then they invited their conservative parents to play...

It was awkward and hilarious.

Symphonia

Banned
So I can catch a train directly from Birmingham to London Euston, then a short bus ride and bam, I'm at Big Red. Just need to make sure I don't miss the train. And that I don't forget to get off at London Euston.

So I can catch a train directly from Birmingham to London Euston, then a short bus ride and bam, I'm at Big Red. Just need to make sure I don't miss the train. And that I don't forget to get off at London Euston.

Euston is the last stop, so you should be fine that end! What time you looking at getting there?

Symphonia

Banned
Euston is the last stop, so you should be fine that end! What time you looking at getting there?
There's a few trains I can catch. I'll probably catch the 14:50 service, though, arriving at London Euston at at 16:15, meaning I can slowly make my way to Big Red to meet you there.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

That bit at least is easy. There's a bloke walks along the train and wakes you up. It's really helpful.

SuperSah

Banned
Hi SuperSah, don't think we have conversed before.

Hadn't read enough of the thread to pick up the parental stuff there.

Even so, I'd suggest (because there's a flavour from what you say that maybe you're not getting a phone because you are considered to be safe where you are since you are not going out) that you buy yourself a map, get out of the house and damn well go exploring somewhere. Only so far as you are comfortable of course.

If your Dad questions it, show him you've got a map and that you know how to use it - and then ask the phone question. These things need pushing sometimes.

But don't just hang around waiting, because chances are it will not happen.

I've been there and done that. Been the wayward kid, been the nervous kid, been the troublesome kid; been the protective father, been the pushy father, been the let-it-go father. Met a bunch of other parents as well and some of them are definitely strange, but mostly nowhere near (by at least an order of magnitude) as strange as their children make them out to be.

Main thing is "I don't have a phone" isn't the important point. The important point is "I'm not allowed out unless I have a phone and I don't have one and have been promised one blah blah ...."

It's the not allowed out bit that worries me. Not the phone bit.

Focus on that.

Thanks.

By the way, are you an actual Barrister or is that tag just for kicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom