• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really want to say a lot, mainly because I don't want to seem like a madman, but I probably should ask, right? It's certainly worrisome, or worrisome enough for me to post it here I guess.

I don't really know any of his close friends. I wouldn't call myself one, he's a bit of an odd one. It's a weird thing because as far as I know he does seem to have a fair amount of buddies from other places (flatmates, old society friends and stuff); basically, people who I figure would have noticed if he was up to that kind of thing.

Still. He doesn't really ever get into detail about it, I swear I've tried grilling him on a mystery scar or something before and he refused to get into it. Just assumed that was him being "mysterious" or some shit, like I say he's an odd one.

Well, third year of uni and that so stress is a factor, but if he is doing what I think he's doing than he's been doing it a long time, so it's probably other reasons. I don't think he does drugs, or drink that much. Like I say, not exactly his BFF here, we just share a pathway on our course.

It's surprising how many people don't notice, trust me. In fact the people closest to you tend to be the ones less likely to notice.

He may not want to talk about it, but then he might open up to someone not close to him, it's often easier to tell your problems to a stranger. If you feel comfortable doing it, wait until no one else is in earshot and just ask if he's ok, and if he'd like to talk about anything. Just don't "grill" him, he wont respond to that.

And it's doubtful to be anything to do with drugs or drink.

SuperSah

Banned
GAF, Galaxy Note 3 is a fucking god-send.

This thing POWERS through anything I throw at it. Games? No sweat. 1080p YT clips? Loaded in a flash.

It feels so good to have so many apps open with none force-closing. That 3GB of RAM is incredible.

And.. that 1080p screen, jesus god, it's beautiful.

That is all!

Symphonia

Banned
It's surprising how many people don't notice, trust me. In fact the people closest to you tend to be the ones less likely to notice.
So true. I'm close to a few people at work, and yet none of them know about my depression. In fact, there's only person there who does, and she's in Human Resources, so she can't say anything to anyone without facing a lawsuit from me.

This thing POWERS through anything I throw at it. Games? No sweat. 1080p YT clips? Loaded in a flash.

It feels so good to have so many apps open with none force-closing. That 3GB of RAM is incredible.

That is all!

I see your Dad bought you a phone after all then!

NinjaBoiX

Tell a teacher

Shit, good idea. (You mean lecturer though :V)
This is your best bet Coldman. He seems like a tough nut to crack based on what you've told us, maybe a respected authority figure is just the confidante he needs.

At the very least, it'll be brought to the attention of the faculty.

Edit: congrats on the phone Sah. I remember you saying Pops was holding out on you. S3 too? Nice!

Enjoy it mate.

So true. I'm close to a few people at work, and yet none of them know about my depression. In fact, there's only person there who does, and she's in Human Resources, so she can't say anything to anyone without facing a lawsuit from me.

Oh, actually I was talking about self harming, in reference to Coldman saying he's surprised the guys friends haven't noticed the cuts.

This is your best bet Coldman. He seems like a tough nut to crack based on what you've told us, maybe a respected authority figure is just the confidante he needs.

At the very least, it'll be brought to the attention of the faculty.

I'm not sure, I don't think having a teacher question him about it is such a good idea.

Symphonia

Banned
Oh, actually I was talking about self harming, in reference to Coldman saying he's surprised the guys friends haven't noticed the cuts.
But the two can be, and most likely are, connected. In a way, though, I'm glad nobody has noticed my depression. The only reason HR knows are because of my medical history and the fact that any medicine bought on to the site need to be run through them. Naturally, questions about why I'm on anti-depressants are bought up.

But the two can be, and most likely are, connected. In a way, though, I'm glad nobody has noticed my depression. The only reason HR knows are because of my medical history and the fact that any medicine bought on to the site need to be run through them. Naturally, questions about why I'm on anti-depressants are bought up.

Not necessarily. Plenty of people self harm for reasons other than clinical depression.

He may not want to talk about it, but then he might open up to someone not close to him, it's often easier to tell your problems to a stranger. If you feel comfortable doing it, wait until no one else is in earshot and just ask if he's ok, and if he'd like to talk about anything. Just don't "grill" him, he wont respond to that.

And it's doubtful to be anything to do with drugs or drink.

Yeah, I'll definitely try and talk to him. Not sure I wanna bring it up with a lecturer, I know one who'd be perfect for it but it just sounds like a bit of a recipe for disaster without even approaching the guy in question first.

It's fucking freaking me out to see him walking around with his arms like that anyway, so I kinda just wanna get it cleared up for that selfish reason. :lol

NinjaBoiX

I'm not sure, I don't think having a teacher question him about it is such a good idea.
Yeah, it's not ideal. Unless he's really friendly with them, it might actually make things worse, being put on the spot like that. It would be much better coming from a friend, but that doesn't really seem to be an option.

It's a pickle Coldman no doubt, but fair play for looking out man.
Yeah, I'll definitely try and talk to him. Not sure I wanna bring it up with a lecturer, I know one who'd be perfect for it but it just sounds like a bit of a recipe for disaster without even approaching the guy in question first.

It's fucking freaking me out to see him walking around with his arms like that anyway, so I kinda just wanna get it cleared up for that selfish reason. :lol
Yeah, at least try talking to him direct first. If you really have no other choice, grass him up!

Good luck buddy, update us.

Yeah I think this is your best bet. Even if he's not responsive to you, that fact that someone has noticed might be enough to make him stop. If his answer ring alarm bells or he refuses to talk and keeps on doing it, then would be the time to involve a lecturer.

SuperSah

Banned
Edit: congrats on the phone Sah. I remember you saying Pops was holding out on you. S3 too? Nice!

Enjoy it mate.

Note 3, actually. Thing's a monster!

Thanks a lot, I well and truly appreciate it. After all this waiting, it's finally happened and I'm not restricted in communication.

Thanks again, it's a beautiful device.

I don't have sources to hand but doctors have always stated that most self-harm (read: not all) stems from depression and, in some cases, anxiety. Again, this is not my opinion.

I'd be interested to read those sources when you can find them, as although clinical depression can be a cause of self harm I have never heard it referred to as the main cause for most self harm. Also speaking from experience none of the people I know who self harmed were clinically depressed. It's important never to assume anything with cases like this as misdiagnoses can do more harm than good.

Jordan

Why, oh why, did I think it would be a good idea to go all out at the gym tonight feeling like shit with man flu. I feel like death and breathing seems like a chore at the moment. Forgot my gloves too, so I have 6 blisters on my hands :(

Gif to make me smile:

iiQHnjL96kspu.gif

Edit: SuperSah, are you able to claim that £50 play voucher or was that US only?

That is all!

I can't wait to get a new phone- my Galaxy S1 has succumbed to the 'crash and restart' bug. Even a factory reset only fixed the issue for a few days. Kind of puts me off an S3 as their are rumours all the s-series are affected by this problem sooner or later.

SuperSah

Banned
Edit: SuperSah, are you able to claim that £50 play voucher or was that US only?

It didn't alert me of a free voucher. Where should I be looking?

I can't wait to get a new phone- my Galaxy S1 has succumbed to the 'crash and restart' bug. Even a factory reset only fixed the issue for a few days. Kind of puts me off an S3 as their are rumours all the s-series are affected by this problem sooner or later.

That sucks, what do you intend to get?

Honestly, despite Note 3 being a massive 5.7", it doesn't FEEL that big. Two hours of continuous use including tons of downloads only used 20% battery. That can last daaaays with moderate use, I imagine.

That is all!
Nice! Happy for you bro.

Jordan

Honestly, despite Note 3 being a massive 5.7", it doesn't FEEL that big. Two hours of continuous use including tons of downloads only used 20% battery. That can last daaaays with moderate use, I imagine.

Had a quick look, it is US only. Sorry dude. When I went to get my phone, I walked in the shop and I told the people there "I want a note." and the guy was like, here... have a look at a note... now look at my iPhone. "CUNT!" I walked out with an iPhone :(

I'd be interested to read those sources when you can find them, as although clinical depression can be a cause of self harm I have never heard it referred to as the main cause for most self harm. Also speaking from experience none of the people I know who self harmed were clinically depressed. It's important never to assume anything with cases like this as misdiagnoses can do more harm than good.
Fucking this. Let the doctors deal with.

SuperSah

Banned
Had a quick look, it is US only. Sorry dude. When I went to get my phone, I walked in the shop and I told the people there "I want a note." and the guy was like, here... have a look at a note... now look at my iPhone. "CUNT!" I walked out with an iPhone :(

Aw, that sucks. I remember they used to give away free £50 play vouchers too! It's alright, I'm trying to learn my way around the OS. I'm really impressed with how realistic blacks look on that screen. How comes you chose an iPhone instead?

Nice! Happy for you bro.

Cheers man, appreciate it. :)

Jordan

Aw, that sucks. I remember they used to give away free £50 play vouchers too! It's alright, I'm trying to learn my way around the OS. I'm really impressed with how realistic blacks look on that screen. How comes you chose an iPhone instead?

Cheers man, appreciate it. :)

I text with one hand, admittedly whilst driving occasionally (I know, I know. I'm sorry, I am getting better at ignoring my phone//Using Siri) the Note was just too big for my ickle hands and I had an iPad already, I had previously owned iPhones and I already paid shit loads for apps and what not. Just seemed like a waste of money moving to Android after investing so much in iOS.

Was so adamant I was going to get the Note at the time, and then left the shop with my head in shame like I got an iPhone. I had one of the original Android phones and it was terrible, guess it sort of soured my experiencing with Androids... and iPhones just work.

IRQ6ttgl.jpg

I do not miss that fucking thing.

Symphonia

Banned
Again, this isn't me who has stated this, I'm just going by what I've read.

And by what I've learned by my own personal experiences.

Symphonia

Banned
Also, it doesn't look like I'll have my iPhone back in time for the meet so I might be relying on an old Nokia brick to keep in touch with people, etc. I should be able to use my SIM using an adapter so if I get lost, expect a call. Or just listen out for the high-pitched wailing noise coming out of nowhere.

SuperSah

Banned
I text with one hand, admittedly whilst driving occasionally (I know, I know. I'm sorry, I am getting better at ignoring my phone//Using Siri) the Note was just too big for my ickle hands and I had an iPad already, I had previously owned iPhones and I already paid shit loads for apps and what not. Just seemed like a waste of money moving to Android after investing so much in iOS.

Was so adamant I was going to get the Note at the time, and then left the shop with my head in shame like I got an iPhone. I had one of the original Android phones and it was terrible, guess it sort of soured my experiencing with Androids... and iPhones just work.

IRQ6ttgl.jpg

I do not miss that fucking thing.

Oh wow. I have small hands but man, this 5.7 inch screen beats a 3.5 inch one any day. That 1080p makes it worth it. I think it's also because it's near edge-to-edge so Samsung didn't really make any excess chassis, so it's slim as hell.

My case should be here tomorrow. It's going to make life easier travelling on Friday. It boots up Maps in like 3 seconds flat. It helps that LTE is pretty speedy.

I've used it for almost 3 hours now, and it's on 74% battery. God damn.

I'm not too sure. Outside of the S3, what could I reasonably get for a sub £20 a month contract? The new Sony phone is out of the question, HTC? Any good these days?

SuperSah

Banned
I'm not too sure. Outside of the S3, what could I reasonably get for a sub £20 a month contract? The new Sony phone is out of the question, HTC? Any good these days?

HTC is pretty good, despite their skin. HTC One is a beast too. What about Nexus 5 or Moto G?

I been on this phone for 3.5 hours straight and it's on 65%. Could use this all day!

No. HTC are wank.

Get the Z1, Z Ultra, S4 or Note 3 if you are looking at high end.

Thought as much. Explains why they've dropped off the radar. All lovely phones you've suggested, but far too pricey- I'm looking for sub £20pm and the S3 is the only one that fits the bill ( I can get by nicely on unlimited texts, 300 mins and 500mb). No way I can justify buying the phone outright in my temporary current job either.

jimbor

Banned
Why, oh why, did I think it would be a good idea to go all out at the gym tonight feeling like shit with man flu. I feel like death and breathing seems like a chore at the moment. Forgot my gloves too, so I have 6 blisters on my hands :(

Gif to make me smile:

iiQHnjL96kspu.gif

You should forget your gloves in the future too bro. No need

Fuck Buttons is so fucking good. Slow Focus. Top 5 albums of the year, easily. I've heard plenty of electronic music from recommendations, but nothing that is that massive, primal, mind-expanding, and needs to be used in sci-fi movies stat.

8bit

Knows the Score
Fuck Buttons is so fucking good. Slow Focus. Top 5 albums of the year, easily. I've heard plenty of electronic music from recommendations, but nothing that is that massive, primal, mind-expanding, and needs to be used in sci-fi movies stat.

It's a great album, I suggest you also check out Blanck Mass from last year if you haven't heard that. It's just Benjamin John Power of Fuck Buttons and a little more electronic. Oh, and their Glastonbury set was ace.

I've also enjoyed the output by Autechre, Oneohtrix Point Never, Broadcast, Haxan Cloak & Boards of Canada this year although those might be a bit further away from

I had a dream last night in which I purchased a Vita with Tearaway. It was magical until I awoke without one to love and cherish. I think this is my star in the east, my sign of something magical and biblical approaching. Congratulations Dave: your subliminal messages about the Vita are working on a subconscious level.

That much I'm certain on. Thought it was a good idea at first but probably just too complicated.

There's also the student mentoring services, welfare units, your SU VP Welfare Officer? Quite a few places to ask about what is the best course of action.

I had a dream last night in which I purchased a Vita with Tearaway. It was magical until I awoke without one to love and cherish. I think this is my star in the east, my sign of something magical and biblical approaching. Congratulations Dave: your subliminal messages about the Vita are working on a subconscious level.

Your dream is my reality. :p

The game is really fun though. I probably would've finished it by now, but I keep making costumes!

BZ9mONUIQAALEal.jpg

d6ad8904cdd5f73c9bb7a143ce7cad9e69ef6b05.jpg

http://tearaway.me/u/gevurah22

I too am tempted to get a Vita.

But I want a baby more.

Although I will need something to occupy my time when I'm off on maternity leave.....

Hey, if Gaf wants to get me a present when I have my kid, a Vita would be lovely thanks.

Not necessarily. Plenty of people self harm for reasons other than clinical depression.

I know someone who had the weirdest scars all over her arms - it turned out she was kinky and did all sorts of painful sounding shit - she was quite up front about it (after a few drinks)

But yeah I wouldn't alert the authorities or anything - there could be numerous reasons for those marks

SteveWD40

I too am tempted to get a Vita.

But I want a baby more.

Although I will need something to occupy my time when I'm off on maternity leave.....

Hey, if Gaf wants to get me a present when I have my kid, a Vita would be lovely thanks.

Mine is coming this week (along with both LBP and Tearaway), I am getting it because we are (at some point in the next 2 years) having a baby.

Suspend feature, play anywhere, it's a console made for parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom