• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So there has been a development in the uni application process........

I DIDN'T GET IN TO PORTSMOUTH
but they have given me an unconditional offer for engineering and technology

They said from my statement they believed that this is more suited to what I want to do....

I'm gonna have a good read of the brief and talk to a few buddies that do it

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

They said from my statement they believed that this is more suited to what I want to do....

Keep your options open certainly, but you don't have a definite career goal in mind as it is, so maybe engineering would be just as good as CS. Exciting times for you.

8bit

Knows the Score

That's not a bad result,
Engineering
is a stable trade and it's a good discipline to learn.
I'm a time served Engineer, BTW.

Definitely do your homework on that to make sure the course they've offered is something that you really want.

Qasiel

I wish my Uni had offered me a more suitable course from reading my statement.

Rubbish King

Keep your options open certainly, but you don't have a definite career goal in mind as it is, so maybe engineering would be just as good as CS. Exciting times for you.
Pretty much my thought process
That's not a bad result,
Engineering
is a stable trade and it's a good discipline to learn.
I'm a time served Engineer, BTW.
My only reservation is that there is a helluvalot more advanced mathematics, apart from that I do see some sense in why they have given me this course..

I wish my Uni had offered me a more suitable course from reading my statement.
What did you do?
Definitely do your homework on that to make sure the course they've offered is something that you really want.
Definitely.

Blink Me

What other Unis have you applied to? I'm hopefully doing a Masters in September and have picked Birmingham, Newcastle and York as my choices.

Mikeside

Have a real think about the course they've offered, is there somewhere that people review the courses? You don't want them putting you on a stinker that's going to waste your time for your uni years.

If it looks OK and you think you'll be able to use it for a career you want to do... I'd probably take it.

Qasiel

What did you do?

Computer Systems Engineering. Ended up being a mish-mash of programming and Web design (I wanted to move more into networking). However, I did discover a massive interest in Web programming, which is a field I'm moving into, job-wise, very soon.

Portsmouth, Cardiff, Nottingham, Bangor and East London

No dice

If you can try and visit some of these places. I have no idea when they have Open Days but they're good to go to. You can get a feel for the place and you might get a taster lecture from someone in the faculty, who'll give you something better than a text on paper description of what you'll be doing and could answer some questions too.

Rubbish King

EDIT: After reading over the email I got sent it seems I read too far into it, seems I was just underqualified for Computer Science, wish I'd read it through properly... the foundation year would enable me to do most of their tech degrees though ^_^ every cloud n all that

EDIT 2: If I take the foundation year, I could then choose to move and reapply to a higher ranking university... I think the main jist of this is that I'll be getting my Math up to scratch.. for the most part, I'm feeling pretty gutted but atleast it's not all bad

cynostic

EDIT: After reading over the email I got sent it seems I read too far into it, seems I was just underqualified for Computer Science, wish I'd read it through properly... the foundation year would enable me to do most of their tech degrees though ^_^ every cloud n all that

EDIT 2: If I take the foundation year, I could then choose to move and reapply to a higher ranking university... I think the main jist of this is that I'll be getting my Math up to scratch.. for the most part, I'm feeling pretty gutted but atleast it's not all bad

Sounds like a decent result from a possibility. Engineering is great - i'd highly recommend it and you can go MANY places with it. Foundation years are also fantastic. Is it a HNC/HND? I had to do something similar before my engineering degree as doing it part time and working in the industry at the same time (Civil engineering, though).

All fairly good to really good unis there. I'd hit Portsmouth personally. Couple of graduates I work with went there and it's high up on the ranking tables last time I checked. Of course depends on your travel arrangements and things obviously :)

But I guess you want to push things more to the technology side of things?

Rubbish King

Sounds like a decent result from a possibility. Engineering is great - i'd highly recommend it and you can go MANY places with it. Foundation years are also fantastic. Is it a HNC/HND? I had to do something similar before my engineering degree as doing it part time and working in the industry at the same time (Civil engineering, though).

All fairly good to really good unis there. I'd hit Portsmouth personally. Couple of graduates I work with went there and it's high up on the ranking tables last time I checked. Of course depends on your travel arrangements and things obviously :)

But I guess you want to push things more to the technology side of things?
After a coffee, a packet of hobnobs and a good look at the course I think I'm quite happy with this outcome. I think I will wait until the end of April to see what other offers come my way and if nothing like this comes up, I'll take this. It's probably better in a way as I think an extra year to brush up on my academics could really help me, I don't think I'm going to struggle with it so it means I can put a good amount of time into recreational programming and experimenting, Portsmouth has a good success rate and around 85% of graduates for the course come out with decent work in the first six months and over half of that in engineering.

There is also the option of reapplying to uni once I have done the foundation year, which means I could potentially get into an even better uni, that's not my plan, it's just another pro to it ^^

Thanks for the advice & encouragement fella :)
Yo thanks for the reply to my post in the Sad images thread, Ninj.
That thread was brutal on my soul.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Tash, once you are at a university it is a lot easier to switch courses to something that is closer to what you want to do. Don't actually agree to do something you don't want to do because it is no guarantee, but once you are in the university they want to keep you there.

NinjaBoiX

Can't stop listening to this
Good man, great cover of a fantastic song.
Yo thanks for the reply to my post in the Sad images thread, Ninj.
Oh.

Um, you're...welcome?

6wiLvlE.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sorry folks. My musical taste kind of stopped at Noel Coward and the Beatles.

No, that's an overstatement. Count in Fleetwood Mac and Deep Purple.

But it all goes a bit dead after that.

RedShift

Saw a filming of Pointless today. If anyone wants to seem like a smartarse to their family/flatmates, in the upcoming sports celebrities episode the last city being struck by lightning is
Shanghai
and one of the pilgrimage sites is
The Bodhi Tree
. Both Pointless answers.

Sorry folks. My musical taste kind of stopped at Noel Coward and the Beatles.

No, that's an overstatement. Count in Fleetwood Mac and Deep Purple.

But it all goes a bit dead after that.

I'd rather listen to these than most of the stuff that gets posted in here.

Saw a filming of Pointless today. If anyone wants to seem like a smartarse to their family/flatmates, in the upcoming sports celebrities episode the last city being struck by lightning is
Shanghai
and one of the pilgrimage sites is
The Bodhi Tree
. Both Pointless answers.

We played the Pointless board game last Christmas. It's pretty good.

Basically, it's just the same as the show. You have to do the countdown thing yourself with a cardboard cutout though, which is a bit naff. You'd think they could make a little electronic one.

RedShift

We played the Pointless board game last Christmas. It's pretty good.

Basically, it's just the same as the show. You have to do the countdown thing yourself with a cardboard cutout though, which is a bit naff. You'd think they could make a little electronic one.

Ha yeah I've got one of those. Love Pointless too much.

It's pretty fun to see live. Bradley what's his name from the Chase snuck in from next door during the switch between rounds and sat in Richard's chair.

Ha yeah I've got one of those. Love Pointless too much.

It's pretty fun to see live. Bradley what's his name from the Chase snuck in from next door during the switch between rounds and sat in Richard's chair.

It's ace :)

I'd like to go to a recording, just to see Richard stood up.

SteveWD40

Bought a 32GB iPad Air as an early birthday pressie to myself...find out both FTL and Hearthstone should hit iPad next week.

/allmydicks

Qasiel

So the PS4 that mate of mine got me showed up today. Guess he wasn't joking.

That said, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day now!

Rich!

hm

going through UCAS to apply for a media course, and got to the reference part

aw fuck. I never know who to put here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom