• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qasiel

If you like it, do yourself a favour and read the comics, they're some of the best Batman stuff ever, and head and shoulders above most stuff from that era.

And no spoilers but Joker most definitely has a big impact by the time the story ends...!

I'll second that. I'm currently working my way through the NML series and it's pretty fantastic.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'll second that. I'm currently working my way through the NML series and it's pretty fantastic.

Yeah I re-read it a few months back and was blown away by how it holds up. I think a big part of the strength (other than the superb Bob Gale/Alex fuckin Maleev intro arc) is that once Greg Rucka comes on full force the storytelling and character-driven nature of it is really pushed to the front. So instead of traditional bat-stuff of villains being eeeeevil, you have stuff with Gordon and his wife arguing, or Harvey's obsession with Renee and then the stuff with Helena a bit later on too. Turned it from dumb superhero stuff into a damn decent drama by the end.

Qasiel

Turned it from dumb superhero stuff into a damn decent drama by the end.

Exactly. Superhero books are often about trying to prevent the big cataclysms from happening, so when it actually happened it was a good take on how Gotham pulls together and the struggles that take place.

I wish I'd made the effort to read No Man's Land.

I had a philosophy teacher who was using it as a way to get us thinking about that social contract and "man in the state of nature" period of thought occupied by people like Hobbes, Rousseau and Locke.

If you like it, do yourself a favour and read the comics, they're some of the best Batman stuff ever, and head and shoulders above most stuff from that era.

And no spoilers but Joker most definitely has a big impact by the time the story ends...!

giphy.gif

Exactly. Superhero books are often about trying to prevent the big cataclysms from happening, so when it actually happened it was a good take on how Gotham pulls together and the struggles that take place.

It's the stuff that should have been in Dark Knight Rises!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They do exist!
nkM86jI.jpg

Yes. Yes this evening will be adequate.

Mikeside

The context of this is important to our understanding.

Where have you been today? A Nursery? A Cancer Ward? A Zoo? A Synagogue?

I'm at work, so: colleagues, delivery drivers, Dell representatives, customers and a guy from some office supply company who wouldn't fuck off when I said we're not taking his shitty leaflets.

I'm going to save my rage up an torture some civilians on Infamous tonight instead.

I'm at work, so: colleagues, delivery drivers, Dell representatives, customers and a guy from some office supply company who wouldn't fuck off when I said we're not taking his shitty leaflets.

I'm going to save my rage up an torture some civilians on Infamous tonight instead.

I always go evil the first time if I get a choice

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah they do.

Are you on my PSN friends list?

PSN: SmokiestDave

Sent.

The greatest self portrait ever made. SALUTE

SALUTE'd. I never liked British comics much beyond tie-in franchise stuff as a nipper, so don't mind the american comic thread leaking into here. Comic Shops were a revelation to me when I discovered them around like 12 years of age. I've been checking out kinda cool small English press stuff like NOBROW though recently.

Haha awesome! What games did you get to go with it?

Got Resogun ready to go from PS+ and Ground Zeroes. Infamous is on the way, but won't get to play it til Monday because I'm off to spend some time with Momma Pie and Beans for Mother's Day weekend.

Which might serve as a reminder to some thread peeps. Never forget Mother's Day. Scars happen.

Mikeside

A fair few of us will be in the dog house as we'll be spending mothers day hungover in Sunderland.

I got my mum a cringey card, a mug and a balloon to offset the guilt and I'll arrange for some flowers to be delivered, I think

8bit

Knows the Score
Is this the infamous love in? Got the neon powers last night, I haven't seen anything quite as eye watering in game since space giraffe.

Hystzen

Is this the infamous love in? Got the neon powers last night, I haven't seen anything quite as eye watering in game since space giraffe.

Congrats on getting Neon now you never need change powers again. They made Neon so OP it crazy plus of good karma when get paragon you get endless sprint which makes travelling map a breeze

Hystzen

Was cooking sum foolz on Battlefield last night, decided to fiddle with the audio on the PS4 and realised that with headphones plugged into the Dualshock 4 I could get all the game audio to come out of headphones plugged into the controller. Never knew you could do that.

I don't know why this was a revelation to me, it makes perfect sense. Made the game much more enjoyable as well despite all the bugs.

I love BF4 even though first time I'm getting rubber banding badly is with new naval strike add on. Other then that had no real issues with Ps4 version

AcridMeat

Banned
On BBC 6music Lauren Laverne has a segment on her show called Memory Tapes where a listener gets to pick their own playlist. Today a man made a playlist for his friend who was born deaf but can now hear music after 40 years due to getting cochlear implants.

This is a video of her hearing for the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iznPCR4CB3E

Article about this woman:
http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/heartwarming-video-of-woman-hearing-for-the-first-time#image-rotator-1

This deserves more love. That video brought happy tears to my eyes.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Was in the local Coroner's Court today. Interesting experience. Coroners courts don't seem to have the strict rules about representation that other courts do, so you don't need to be a proper solicitor or anything - basically if the bloke in charge thinks you'll have something interesting to say he'll let you say it.

So I did of course.

And it seemed to go down reasonably well - to the extent that I'm more or less bound (I think the polite word the Coroner used was "expect"!) to be there for subsequent hearings.

Curious the way the formality of court proceedings settles the nerves. The best part is that once you have started they let you finish, so it is entirely unlike business meetings where people are clamouring for attention all the time and muttering in the corner and you're always scared of whoever is in the chair. The whole thing was beautifully run. Very slick.

Horrible temporary courtroom though. It felt initially like I was due for a dressing-down from the temporary committee of a particularly ill-appointed and faded golf club.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A fair few of us will be in the dog house as we'll be spending mothers day hungover in Sunderland.

I got my mum a cringey card, a mug and a balloon to offset the guilt and I'll arrange for some flowers to be delivered, I think

Yup! I'm gonna give my mum a shout out from the stage, I figure that makes us even. And some gin. She loves gin.

Blink Me

Meh.

Desperate Dan is now most relevant to me since it was apparently a big influence on Frank Quitely's Superman design. Otherwise those comics felt like they were too young for me even when I was 7.

It was always the artwork more than the stories which were the draw of the Beano and Dandy I always felt. Especially Ken Reid, Leo Baxendale and Dudley Watkins.

8bit

Knows the Score
Meh.

Desperate Dan is now most relevant to me since it was apparently a big influence on Frank Quitely's Superman design. Otherwise those comics felt like they were too young for me even when I was 7.

Have you ever seen Electric Soup? It was kind of a Glaswegian Viz, and the lead strip was Frank Quitely's take on the Broons, the Greens.

Dudley D. Watkins drew the Broons (among other stuff for DC Thomson such as Desperate Dan & Dennis The Menace) for years and the influence is apparent (IMO) on Quitely's work.

I know what you mean about feeling too old for the Beano/Desperate Dan while at a young age, Jed.

Personally I also always felt too middle class for stuff like the Bash Street Kids.

8bit

Knows the Score
I know what you mean about feeling too old for the Beano/Desperate Dan while at a young age, Jed.

Personally I also always felt too middle class for stuff like the Bash Street Kids.

There was another school based strip like this IIRC, but with kids in uniform. And I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking of the rival Posh Street School.

The Jocks & the Geordies was more my level.

1371334-jocks_and_geordies_super.jpg

Some interesting stuff here, but I still can't quite find what I was looking for.

http://lewstringer.blogspot.ch/2012_12_01_archive.html

Whizzer_and_Chips.jpg

troll1.jpg

MAGS2014.jpg

Qasiel

The only comic I read as a kid was Sonic Comic, and even then, only like 3 issues.
It was pretty much shit.

Oh man, I thought Sonic The Comic was pretty rad although I, too, only read a few issues. The only thing I really remember was a strip detailing a "Day in the life of Doctor Robotnik".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom