• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

BritGAF, I've got the best opportunity of my life laid out in front me, that thousands have missed out on, but the chances of success look so minute from where I'm stood.

I'm at the turning point and what's in front of me will be either everything or nothing. I'm scared of failing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Awwwww yes! Go gurl! You haven't even scratched the surface. You might actually cry.

Sitting in my office feeling quite chuffed with myself, got loads done today, now have a temporarily clean desk. I think that means I can bog off early. Gawd bless my job.

Enjoy!

I'm going to have to try it, aren't I?

I did watch Indie Game: The Movie and thought Phil Fish got a bad wrap from the interwebz.

I love the way it lets you connect the plot and the concepts together yourself. So far for me, it started off quite standard-ly and the last few hours have been full of moments where something clicks and the world gets a bit bigger.

Me too btw. I like him. I'd much rather have 100 of him than that bigmouth jock type who laid into him.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I love the way it lets you connect the plot and the concepts together yourself. So far for me, it started off quite standard-ly and the last few hours have been full of moments where something clicks and the world gets a bit bigger.

Me too btw. I like him. I'd much rather have 100 of him than that bigmouth jock type who laid into him.

I'll take a look... if I can drag myself away from Dark Souls 2. I'm in too deep!

I think a lot of people mistook his undeveloped social skills with arseholery. He came across as pretty thoughtful (given enough time), if anything.

NinjaBoiX

Anyone who hasn't watched Indie Game: The Movie really should, it's properly excellent. Phil Fish seemed like a nice guy, just under a shitload of pressure. I really felt for him when his build of Fez kept crashing at that show.

Also Meat, I'm working my way through EpicNameBro's Dark Souls 2 Let's Play. I like Marcus man, he has a very calming way about him and really knows his stuff.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Also Meat, I'm working my way through EpicNameBro's Dark Souls 2 Let's Play. I like Marcus man, he has a very calming way about him and really knows his stuff.

I saw his lore stuff for DS1 (I know, I know, super-geeky). He lives and breaths that stuff. He knows his shit. I think he worked on the DS2 guide with some other dude.

Have you got DS2 yet? It's initially unimpressive, especially graphically, but it doesn't take long for it to get it's claws in you. It isn't quite at the level of DS1 as an overall package (although a lot of people seem to brush over the problems that game had), but it is still very, very good. I've got Ground Zeroes and Titanfall sitting on my cabinet hardly touched. XD

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, he lives and breathes Dark Souls. He worked on the guide for FromSoft with The German Spy I believe he's called. But no DS2 yet mate, I'm waiting for news of the PS4 port.

I fancy Titanfall too, Bluepoint did a sterling porting job by all accounts.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, he lives and breathes Dark Souls. He worked on the guide for FromSoft with The German Spy I believe he's called. But no DS2 yet mate, I'm waiting for news of the PS4 port.

I fancy Titanfall too, Bluepoint did a sterling porting job by all accounts.

You could always get it on ye olde sexbox. We could buddy up like Cagney and Lacey! Bagsy I play Cagney!

It's a wee bit buggy (Titanfall) and the game itself isn't exactly what you call deep, but, man, the way you can move around a level is super impressive.

NinjaBoiX

Mike, there appears to be an issue with your playlist brah. I just tried to download it and only track 1 & 7 are there.

Fix this shit Mikeside!
You could always get it on ye olde sexbox. We could buddy up like Cagney and Lacey! Bagsy I play Cagney!

It's a wee bit buggy (Titanfall) and the game itself isn't exactly what you call deep, but, man, the way you can move around a level is super impressive.
Yeah, Trooper has been on about doing some jolly co-operation too. I just have so much to be playing mate, I'm in no rush to buy more games! I very nearly picked up AC4 today but held off. I'll give them a bit longer, see what they're doing about a port. Otherwise I'll just grab the XBawx version.

And yeah, Titanfall looks much fun as the pilot, I love running all over the map in multiplayer games, sneaking around the flanks to get a drop on fools. It's why I love Battlefield so much more than CoD, so much scope for using the geography to your advantage. Titanfall seems like just my bag.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Where's Mush? I'm getting maternal feelings watching all these gaming hookups. I wanted to talk to GAF mum about it.

8bit

Knows the Score
BritGAF, I've got the best opportunity of my life laid out in front me, that thousands have missed out on, but the chances of success look so minute from where I'm stood.

I'm at the turning point and what's in front of me will be either everything or nothing. I'm scared of failing.

Go for it!

The Butthole Surfers said:
Daddy?
Yes son?
What does regret mean?
Well son, a funny thing about regret is, that it is better to regret something that you have done than it is to regret something you haven't done.

And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend be sure to tell her... SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN.

Jordan

Would you rather regret doing something? Or regret something you didn't do?

Regardless of the outcome, just go for it with your chin held high and fight to make it work :)

Edit: Beaten by 8bit... Don't post for months, feel the need to post and get beaten like Rihanna... I quit.

8bit

Knows the Score
Would you rather regret doing something? Or regret something you didn't do?

Regardless of the outcome, just go for it with your chin held high and fight to make it work :)

Edit: Beaten by 8bit... Don't post for months, feel the need to post and get beaten like Rihanna... I quit.

Aw, don't be like that! I'll delete my post!

NinjaBoiX

Just listened to Hystzen's mix, sorry man, wasn't really feeling it. It was a bit too emo for me prophetically enough! Might as well be honest.

I do like NIN - Closer, Chems - Hey Boy Hey Girl and QOTSA - Feel Good Hit of The Summer though.

Also woah, the ghost of Jordan appears!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Go for it!

Yep. You have to go for it. Failing hurts but there's no point being afraid of it. It's like rain or needing the loo , it just happens sometimes. Pull your socks up, get your head together and dive in!

Oh and 8bit, best start to an album ever!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

Do it, I'm going to university this year and I have days where I think it could be the worst decision ever, I'm banking like 50,000 on it but hey

#YOLO

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Do it, I'm going to university this year and I have days where I think it could be the worst decision ever, I'm banking like 50,000 on it but hey

#YOLO

I responded to your request for a response but you didn't respond to my response! I think that's very rude.

Mikeside

Mike, there appears to be an issue with your playlist brah. I just tried to download it and only track 1 & 7 are there.

Fix this shit Mikeside!

Set it to upload after work yesterday. I got home at 9pm.

I've been here all day, looks like I might get home by 8. I'll try to get it sorted then.

I'm actually so stressed right now I could cry and I just found out I'm not getting a bonus for no reason whatsoever.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Britain's Got Talent?

8bit

Knows the Score
Didn't any of you click on my Dvorak youtube post earlier this week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10DqPbbUuw

B-Classic presents The Classical Comeback: a new music video format that gives classical music the same recognition as pop and rock music by combining the timeless emotion of classical music with the visual talent of a contemporary director.

Follow this project on: http://classicalcomeback.com
More about B-Classic on: http://www.b-classic.be

Directed by Raf Reyntjens
Choreography by Ari & Miu (Waveya)

Music:
Dvorak - Symphony NO 9 in E-Minor
From the new world - Smetana The Moldau
IV Allegro con fuoco.
Herbert Von Karajan & Wiener Philharmoniker
Deutsche Grammophone - Universal Music

tumblr_n4l32gVISf1qa0a1wo1_500.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
Saw that video a couple days ago 8-Bit. It's an interesting idea, didn't think the choreography was that great.
Anyone who hasn't watched Indie Game: The Movie really should, it's properly excellent. Phil Fish seemed like a nice guy, just under a shitload of pressure. I really felt for him when his build of Fez kept crashing at that show.
I saw it about a year or two ago and honestly I thought Phil Fish wasn't presented very well. He came across as whiny and a bit of a dick, and the fact they didn't represent the other guy in that conflict at all really made it hard to swallow for me.

Now the Team Meat guys, I felt for. Especially the guy who would just sit in a diner alone at 4am wondering what the hell he was doing with his life. Made me really happy the game was such a big success for him. Both of them, the other guy is awesome. That, and they were building that game in a small beach town a couple hours from here.

edit: Sent an application and yesterday and have a phone interview Monday. Oh shit. I hope this sore throat is gone by then. Fuck I hate phone interviews.

8bit

Knows the Score
Saw that video a couple days ago 8-Bit. It's an interesting idea, didn't think the choreography was that great.

I saw it about a year or two ago and honestly I thought Phil Fish wasn't presented very well. He came across as whiny and a bit of a dick, and the fact they didn't represent the other guy in that conflict at all really made it hard to swallow for me.

Now the Team Meat guys, I felt for. Especially the guy who would just sit in a diner alone at 4am wondering what the hell he was doing with his life. Made me really happy the game was such a big success for him. Both of them, the other guy is awesome. That, and they were building that game in a small beach town a couple hours from here.

Yeah, it's not that great but it's an interesting idea.

As to phil_fish, he needs to think before talking (or typing as the posts below might indicate) He doesn't come across very well as he seems to blurt stuff out without thinking. Shame really as he is pretty sharp.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=13227

Phone interviews!

I've got one on Tuesday with ein hoch sprechen Deutscher Frau who didn't seem to understand me very well today while trying to arrange it so I think this might be tricky.

NinjaBoiX

Set it to upload after work yesterday. I got home at 9pm.

I've been here all day, looks like I might get home by 8. I'll try to get it sorted then.

I'm actually so stressed right now I could cry and I just found out I'm not getting a bonus for no reason whatsoever.
Aww mate, that sucks!

No pressure mate, just letting you know it didn't upload proper like. Breathe deep Mikey!
Britain's Got Talent?
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10DqPbbUuw
Nice. *o*

edit: Sent an application and yesterday and have a phone interview Monday. Oh shit. I hope this sore throat is gone by then. Fuck I hate phone interviews.
Oh yeah, the Team Meat guys are cool. Well, Edmund is, Tommy seems a little odd. I loved the part where they are talking on skype and Tommy falls asleep.

Really good doc, enjoyed it a lot.

Good luck with the interview buddy!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I can't tell if that was brilliant or really really stupid. And the ending is all PSYKE!! You listened to old people music!! which was odd. It's a neat idea though, now that I think about it, it would be awesome to watch slowmo acrobatics or something cut to some classical music. I felt a bit weird watching that.

Maybe it's because I have pretensions of being an arty type, but I liked Fish all the way through that movie. Yeah he was tortured and a bit of a dick with it but (and this was before having played the game myself) it was obvious he had made something truly special and to my mind deserved to be a bit pompous about it. The sheer scale and complexity of Fez is remarkable, and to pull it off with the elegance and style in which he did it on his very first proper game. Damn, I'll forgive a lot for that. Musicians and actors can be divas, I think an auteur like Fish is allowed a bit of leeway.

That movie is really incredible though and I'm so glad they chose those three games.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah, it's not that great but it's an interesting idea.

As to phil_fish, he needs to think before talking (or typing as the posts below might indicate) He doesn't come across very well as he seems to blurt stuff out without thinking. Shame really as he is pretty sharp.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=13227

Phone interviews!

I've got one on Tuesday with ein hoch sprechen Deutscher Frau who didn't seem to understand me very well today while trying to arrange it so I think this might be tricky.
He's been entertaining to listen to in Giantbomb coverage, their GDC streams in particular. He does get overzealous online and it comes across poorly. I think he'll find a happy medium for his work because he's a great designer. Hopefully something that doesn't have as much of a spotlight, or avenue for him to get hostile.

I'm a bit nervous to be honest because I bombed my last one. At least I've got the weekend to prep for this one.
I can't tell if that was brilliant or really really stupid. And the ending is all PSYKE!! You listened to old people music!! which was odd. It's a neat idea though, now that I think about it, it would be awesome to watch slowmo acrobatics or something cut to some classical music. I felt a bit weird watching that.

Maybe it's because I have pretensions of being an arty type, but I liked Fish all the way through that movie. Yeah he was tortured and a bit of a dick with it but (and this was before having played the game myself) it was obvious he had made something truly special and to my mind deserved to be a bit pompous about it. The sheer scale and complexity of Fez is remarkable, and to pull it off with the elegance and style in which he did it on his very first proper game. Damn, I'll forgive a lot for that. Musicians and actors can be divas, I think an auteur like Fish is allowed a bit of leeway.

That movie is really incredible though and I'm so glad they chose those three games.
True, I agree. The biggest thing was the one sided nature the documentary presented the scuffle with his partner. Not necessarily the fault of Fish himself, but he was presented poorly as a result in my opinion.

The other thing I'll say about Indie Game, they chose two games that were bound to be indie darlings. Ever since they were first shown off there was massive hype behind SMB and Fez, so while the struggle of the development was real, the entire time I was thinking in my head, well this is going to make you a boatload of money. I know Meat was worried about if people would actually like it, and being so close to a project definitely makes it difficult to gauge that, but it was bound for success.

If they had followed something that was more of a struggle to get noticed by the public, and see how it played out then, it would have given a better view on indie development.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

You should post in my thread about auteurs in games [shameless plug]. I have to reply to it at home because it's all very thoughtful.

And +1 btw. Fez is a work of art. I don't really care about the gamer greenhouse. But I will read his posts later :p

Where's Mush? I'm getting maternal feelings watching all these gaming hookups. I wanted to talk to GAF mum about it.

I'm here! I've been lurking and skim reading but I've been so busy in work this week I've barely had time to respond to anything.

Maternal feelings are the best :)

How is everyone? What's everyone up to this weekend?

I've got my mate coming round to watch Star Wars OT tomorrow cos she's never seen any of them. We're also going to be making welsh cakes and planning our comic book.

NinjaBoiX

Oh yeah, BritGAF Mercenary Kings troupe!

When are you guys next playing? Tonight's no good, but I'll play with you guys over the weekend if I'm around.

When are you guys next playing? Tonight's no good, but I'll play with you guys over the weekend if I'm around.

It basically just seems to be whenever we're all online and Sploatee sends round an invite.

My schedule this weekend is basically "Watch skysportsnews and get a haircut", so I'll be available most of the time.

Questions about the mixtape/dropbox

Okay, so I have all my tracks, got them in the order I want them in and I have the cover art.
All the audio files are mp3s since I don't use iTunes and literally everything on there was downloaded nefariously. The image is just a jpg.if that matters.

It's all in one folder and I don't know if there's anything else I need to do with it before I put it in the dropbox (and if there's anything special I need to do then). Also, if all my files come out jumbled I'd be very grateful if Mike or Jed or some other operator from the other side of the Matrix could work their magic and get it all in order; I've actually structured it so it is a problem if the tracks don't appear in the order I sorted them in.

EDIT

The way it is at the moment I think the album art that got downloaded with some of these tracks is displaying and I'd rather you all saw my artistic endeavours when you finally listen to it.

Thanks in advance wizards.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I'm around and about this weekend but tomorrow got hair appt, going cinema and out for lunch and then might be with Mrs Splt, Sund Mrs Splt is cooking me fried chicken and making cookies!

Going to try and do some arty stuff this weekend too (maybe bit of knitting too)and have a comic book to read. But no doubt I will be online. You don't need me to send an invite around though, just go for it and I can always drop in. Tango Yankee!
---

PS you can now enjoy "A Really Nice Conservatory" (the name changed again). Go forth and enjoy!!!! I will be listening to your tapes over the next week!

PPS Sheep I didn't reply to your post ages ago - I will listen to whatever you put together!

NinjaBoiX

Just listened to Mikeside's tape, pretty nice vibe, very upbeat and melodic. Bonus points for never having heard most of the stuff on there, new music is best music!

If I have a minor compliant I would've liked a bit more variety in the way of genres and stuff, eclectic tapes are the way forward.

Favourite tracks:

Wolf Alice - Fluffy
Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!
Shadowboxer - Juniper
Brand New - I Will Play My Game...
Jimmy Eat World - A Praise Chorus
Radiohead - All I Need (obvs!)

Nice work Mikey boy. I'll definitely check out some more Wolf Alice and Shadowboxer stuff.

OFf4ivi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom