• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm voting UKIP.

giphy.gif

Wow. So Katie has already started designing some characters, and fuck me are they good. She has a very disturbed mind, I'm so excited! Just need to come up with story ideas based around the characters now.

Mikeside

Just listened to Mikeside's tape, pretty nice vibe, very upbeat and melodic. Bonus points for never having heard most of the stuff on there, new music is best music!

If I have a minor compliant I would've liked a bit more variety in the way of genres and stuff, eclectic tapes are the way forward.

Favourite tracks:

Wolf Alice - Fluffy
Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing!
Shadowboxer - Juniper
Brand New - I Will Play My Game...
Jimmy Eat World - A Praise Chorus
Radiohead - All I Need (obvs!)

Nice work Mikey boy. I'll definitely check out some more Wolf Alice and Shadowboxer stuff.

OFf4ivi.gif

There's not much Shadowboxer, they're my friend's band, but if you want I'll send you the EP and the live session they did - infact, you're the YouTube king, check these out, all from that session:

Word of a Stranger
Dancer
Price Tag (Jessie J Cover)
Time (Chase and Status Cover)
Wallflowers

Wolf Alice are probably my favourite band right now - they've got 1 EP and 2 singles out, with another EP on the way. They're pretty fresh and exciting, I think. Gutsy, feelsy girl rock. Exactly my jam.

NinjaBoiX

Ballin'.

Educational and funky fresh.
There's not much Shadowboxer, they're my friend's band, but if you want I'll send you the EP.
That's pretty cool, nice one chief.
Lush, reminds me a bit of Lamb's later stuff. The drummer got some skills man.
Wolf Alice are probably my favourite band right now - they've got 1 EP and 2 singles out, with another EP on the way. They're pretty fresh and exciting, I think. Gutsy, feelsy girl rock. Exactly my jam.
It is tasty jam like, I like to spread it thick.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Have downloaded all the mixes ready for listening. Played Ninj's to Ellie this morning, thumbs up again. Sploatee is first up, listening to the first song now, unsure of what to expect from this wild ride. Loving the liner notes however, very swish. And I appreciated your approach to ID Tags, made me chuckle.

I haven't done a mixtape but it'd probably be something like:

Blur - Beetlebum
Radiohead - Electioneering
Inspiral Carpets - Lost in Space Again
Travis - Indefinitely
Genesis - Entangled
Amy Winehouse - Valerie
Franz Ferdinand - Eleanor Put Your Boots On

A classic example of trying to do something clever, but having to compromise everything to do it, to the detriment of the final product.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Have downloaded all the mixes ready for listening. Played Ninj's to Ellie this morning, thumbs up again. Sploatee is first up, listening to the first song now, unsure of what to expect from this wild ride. Loving the liner notes however, very swish. And I appreciated your approach to ID Tags, made me chuckle.

Hope you enjoy!

Tell me what you didn't like!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hope you enjoy!

Tell me what you didn't like!

Oh you! Nah it was lovely stuff. Obviously a bit different from our usual oeuvre but some very interesting/pretty/funny stuff. I particularly liked O Superman into Like a Ship, I thought it was a really good juxtaposition, gave me feels. Good stuff, will listen again fo sho. I'd say the only song I didn't really dig would be la neon because of the constant key changing towards the end, but that's a personal weird dislike. The rest, while challenging to our plebby tastes was enjoyable, and I was always interested to see what the next mad tune would be.

Mike's mix was typically Mike, we enjoyed it in chez Sniv. Ellie called him a soppy bugger. There wasn't super much on there that I'm not already familiar with, so it gave me nostalgia feels and kept me interested and entertained all the way through. Ellie cringed a bit at the shadowboxer vocals and I castigated her, that song is pretty good despite the girlrock operatics. Mother was interesting, never heard that before and it had a good energy to it. Reminded Ellie that she liked Idlewild, that's a win.

Dapp's mix was the weirdest of the day for us since we don't listen to anything like this usually. What is it, electro funk or summat? The hour passed quickly and while I'd be hard pressed to note whether a song had just ended or started I did enjoy it all and was never tempted to skip or move on. And when you've just spent all day listening to mixtapes, that's quite an acheivement. Was an enlightening look into the suave neon landscape of your mind.

NinjaBoiX

Just listened to sploatee's mix tape, good fun, really diverse. I hadn't heard any of it bar 212 as well, bonus. I really liked the red ones:

The Coasters - Brazil
Salvatore Adamo - Le Neon
Sarah Jarosz - Song Up In Her Head
Pastor T.L. Barrett - Like A Ship
Azealia Banks - 212 - her flow be cray

The only track I wasn't so keen on was the Laurie Anderson one. It reminded me a bit of Hide & Seek by Imogen Heap with the vocoders, I'm just not a big fan of the style. The Alfie Noakes skit was really good though, lol.

8bit

Knows the Score
If you like the track underneath Azealia Banks' potty mouth, it's Lazy Jay - Float My Boat : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA6d27dwLDY

cunts

(See also Lone - Pineapple Crush : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3HPKH3w9so which was used for Liquorice IIRC,but is an amazing 2012 version of 1992's house music.)

And as to the Laurie Anderson track, dunno if it's the same for Sploatee but this is a reminder of the 80s/Cold War vibe that most of you guys probably missed. I was frozen the first time I heard that, not sure it's got the same gravitas these days.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any of you twats enjoy watching Gogglebox?

I watch it. I think 'enjoy' is a strong word maybe. I enjoy shouting at it, that much is true. Some of the people make me super cringe. Some are funny but most it's just like "argh wtf go away". I really don't like that one fake tan northern girl. She has this very specific thing that I call "angry/incredulous stupidity". She's so dumb and everything new or different or outside her wheelhouse (which is most things) horrifies her. It's all in her eyes, this uncomprehending distaste for the world around her.

It annoys me when everyone is getting really excited over some guff like Britain's Got Talent because it makes me realise how easily pleased most people are, and I find that scary. This is good enough for you??

Vashetti

Banned
I watch it. I think 'enjoy' is a strong word maybe. I enjoy shouting at it, that much is true. Some of the people make me super cringe. Some are funny but most it's just like "argh wtf go away". I really don't like that one fake tan northern girl. She has this very specific thing that I call "angry/incredulous stupidity". She's so dumb and everything new or different or outside her wheelhouse (which is most things) horrifies her. It's all in her eyes, this uncomprehending distaste for the world around her.

It annoys me when everyone is getting really excited over some guff like Britain's Got Talent because it makes me realise how easily pleased most people are, and I find that scary. This is good enough for you??

Ah you mean the Moffat girl? She is truly dense. What's amusing is that she looks nothing like her parents, it's like a stranger sat opposite them on the couch.

Surely you must despise Mrs. Michael? Her love affair with Nigel Farage and Russell Brand is truly a terror to behold. She even thinks nurses aren't academic.

Leon and June are fabulous. Steph and Dom are fabulous. Chris and Stephen are fabulous.

Edit: here's Rev. Kate leading a flashmob at a wedding she was hosting

Where do you live and what do you play?

Brighton/guitar
I realise it's not going to happen but I like putting the absolute minimum amount of effort in 'cause then I can still complain about not having a band

Any of you twats enjoy watching Gogglebox?

I enjoyed the super posh guy who was basically Rowley Birkin from The Fast Show because I didn't know that sort of person actually existed, but that's pretty much all I've seen of it.

Mikeside

Oh you! Nah it was lovely stuff. Obviously a bit different from our usual oeuvre but some very interesting/pretty/funny stuff. I particularly liked O Superman into Like a Ship, I thought it was a really good juxtaposition, gave me feels. Good stuff, will listen again fo sho. I'd say the only song I didn't really dig would be la neon because of the constant key changing towards the end, but that's a personal weird dislike. The rest, while challenging to our plebby tastes was enjoyable, and I was always interested to see what the next mad tune would be.

Mike's mix was typically Mike, we enjoyed it in chez Sniv. Ellie called him a soppy bugger. There wasn't super much on there that I'm not already familiar with, so it gave me nostalgia feels and kept me interested and entertained all the way through. Ellie cringed a bit at the shadowboxer vocals and I castigated her, that song is pretty good despite the girlrock operatics. Mother was interesting, never heard that before and it had a good energy to it. Reminded Ellie that she liked Idlewild, that's a win.

Dapp's mix was the weirdest of the day for us since we don't listen to anything like this usually. What is it, electro funk or summat? The hour passed quickly and while I'd be hard pressed to note whether a song had just ended or started I did enjoy it all and was never tempted to skip or move on. And when you've just spent all day listening to mixtapes, that's quite an acheivement. Was an enlightening look into the suave neon landscape of your mind.

SOPPY BUGGER????

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Oh you! Nah it was lovely stuff. Obviously a bit different from our usual oeuvre but some very interesting/pretty/funny stuff. I particularly liked O Superman into Like a Ship, I thought it was a really good juxtaposition, gave me feels. Good stuff, will listen again fo sho. I'd say the only song I didn't really dig would be la neon because of the constant key changing towards the end, but that's a personal weird dislike. The rest, while challenging to our plebby tastes was enjoyable, and I was always interested to see what the next mad tune would be..

Bon! My favourite is the Josephine Foster track. I absolutely LOVE that song.

Just listened to sploatee's mix tape, good fun, really diverse. I hadn't heard any of it bar 212 as well, bonus. I really liked the red ones:

The Coasters - Brazil
Salvatore Adamo - Le Neon
Sarah Jarosz - Song Up In Her Head
Pastor T.L. Barrett - Like A Ship
Azealia Banks - 212 - her flow be cray

The only track I wasn't so keen on was the Laurie Anderson one. It reminded me a bit of Hide & Seek by Imogen Heap with the vocoders, I'm just not a big fan of the style. The Alfie Noakes skit was really good though, lol.

Glad you enjoy! Shame about Laurie Anderson, but such is life. I love your front cover! I showed Emma. We chuckled.

Edit: and cool at you liking Le Neon! That was what my dad used to play to me when I was just a child. Mini sploat used to dance around the living room! It's such a happy song.

If you like the track underneath Azealia Banks' potty mouth, it's Lazy Jay - Float My Boat : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA6d27dwLDY

cunts

(See also Lone - Pineapple Crush : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3HPKH3w9so which was used for Liquorice IIRC,but is an amazing 2012 version of 1992's house music.)

And as to the Laurie Anderson track, dunno if it's the same for Sploatee but this is a reminder of the 80s/Cold War vibe that most of you guys probably missed. I was frozen the first time I heard that, not sure it's got the same gravitas these days.

It reminds me of Sept 11, eerily. All that stuff about "Here come the planes. They're American planes, made in America" and "Hold me in your petrochemical arms" and "When there's no more justice, there's always force." I just find it really, really eerie and sad.

---

We're watching Snakes on a Plane! I intend on posting pictures of wot I got for my birthday in a minute too.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Happy birthday, Sploatee!

Ta Meaty! Is not until Tuesday, but I'm not in Manc on Tuesday so E moved it to this weekend!

I can't get image uploading to work and it's too late to be faffing, but I got a lovely teapot with strainer, a special portable mug with strainer-type thing for tea at work, some very fine tea, a lovely Balenciaga perfume and a book of unnerving images called "images not to masturbate to". I also got short hair now. It's sort of assymetrical but not in a Haircut kind of way. I'll just smush it up in the morning anyway.

PS My bloody phone doesn't recognise any of your mixes as albums. So I'm going to have to make own playlists etc. Jed - yours is first up because my phone recognises your album but for some reason won't put them all together.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I * think* it's because I didn't tag it as a compilation, if you do that in iTunes it should hang together better. Fingers crossed!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I * think* it's because I didn't tag it as a compilation, if you do that in iTunes it should hang together better. Fingers crossed!
I fixed that when I played it yesterday, but if someone downloaded it before I did that they'll have all your songs seen as different entires. (Actually this applied to some of the others as well) A bit dumb that songs with the same album name but different artists are treated as separate albums by default.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It's interesting that you found the songs blended together like that. There's a similar sound going through it but perhaps the common beat signature going through it added to that feeling. It's what I meant by my mix being a packet of skittles, different flavours but all the same thing. BGBW said something similar. I actually put some thought into order of the tracks.

Starting and ending with Com Truise tracks which are inherently slower and more contemplative. I had to go with the first track for that sample at the beginning. The last track "Closed" has always made me think of the journey home after a great night out.

From tracks 2 to 4 it's funk at gradually picks up pace to ease you in. 5-7 is...I don't know what genre it is. Electro-neo disco-funk? Tracks 8 and 9 slow down for the finish and are again more contemplative. Track 10 sticks out as it doesn't sound like it was composed by someone wearing a keyboard necktie. Just a last feel good song before the end.

Also the last sentance in your quote made me smile. I think hearing someone else's music is a good window into a person's disposition.

Did people get the reference in the cover art/title by the way?

NinjaBoiX

The only tapes i haven't heard yet are daps and BGBW's. I'll give them a whirl tonight.

And yeah daps, I got your cover art gag. Classic episode!
Mercenary Kings posse! I might be online tonight...anyone about?
I may well be buddy, I'll give you a shout innit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Excellent! How's britgaf today? It's v quiet... I've got tomorrow and Friday off and hopefully quite a quiet afternoon, so I'm feeling good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Excellent! How's britgaf today? It's v quiet... I've got tomorrow and Friday off and hopefully quite a quiet afternoon, so I'm feeling good.

Even the whatsapp is quiet today, BGAF obviously being a bit more productive than usual (present company excluded).

I currently have 15 boxes of exam papers to open, it's making me anxious. Need to make space to store them first. Arrgh!

8bit

Knows the Score
Publicist Max Clifford found guilty on 8 counts of indecent assault. Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

I am interested in whether or not he was sitting on a timebomb as insurance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom