• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Well, mine is all albumed and I've changed the cover art to something I made and and it's all numbered properly and everything.

----

Just to say. I cracked the code in Fez! I can't wait to write it all out and work out what it means. I absolutely love this game. It's definitely in my top 3 bestest games ever not including all the obvious ones. My other ones are flower and tearaway.

Hystzen

I reckon if you edited the file names themselves it would make life a lot easier. That said, it might import into iTunes just fine. I'm just anal about these things.

It was the files themselves on hardrive sorted it out and re uploaded made it easier for people

NinjaBoiX

What the fuck is a tag and how does it differ from the name? I even went to the effort of Wikipedia for ID3 tags but it made little sense to me. I thought you said this was straightforward Jed?

I literally just labelled them using the "rename" option from the drop down box and named them like I do YouTube links:

1. Artist - Track
-
13. Artist - Track

When I opened it in dropbox it was all in the right order, there was just a load of album art dumped at the bottom for some reason.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What the fuck is a tag and how does it differ from the name? I even went to the effort of Wikipedia for ID3 tags but it made little sense to me. I thought you said this was straightforward Jed?

File name is the name of the file i.e. chucklevision_themesong.mp3
Tags is the data your digital music player of choice will read and then display when playing the file i.e song name, album name, artist, year etc.

Basically it doesn't matter if you name your files song1.mp3, song2.mp3 etc if they are tagged correctly your player will display the right info.

NinjaBoiX

File name is the name of the file i.e. chucklevision_themesong.mp3
Tags is the data your digital music player of choice will read and then display when playing the file i.e song name, album name, artist, year etc.

Basically it doesn't matter if you name your files song1.mp3, song2.mp3 etc if they are tagged correctly your player will display the right info.
Ah, OK. That makes sense.

I have no idea how to do it. As I say, I tried to follow Jed's video but he must have things set up differently or something because nothing worked/was the same.

It's awesome being a technotard.

Hystzen

I'm kind of surprised honestly that people no idea how use iTunes. It pretty much needed for music players or iPhones. It like the Nintendo Wii of last gen super casual anybody can use it compared to windows media player

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well, mine is all albumed and I've changed the cover art to something I made and and it's all numbered properly and everything.

----

Just to say. I cracked the code in Fez! I can't wait to write it all out and work out what it means. I absolutely love this game. It's definitely in my top 3 bestest games ever not including all the obvious ones. My other ones are flower and tearaway.

No lie, Fez actually helped me in my current job. There is a specific puzzle... I will not spoil it too much but suffice it to say it encourages you to think of a book as a solid shape made of cross sections in three dimensions. The trick to the puzzle stuck with me and I've used it to come up with a 10x more efficient way of making place labels for exams.

GOTF.

I literally just labelled them using the "rename" option from the drop down box and named them like I do YouTube links:

1. Artist - Track
-
13. Artist - Track

When I opened it in dropbox it was all in the right order, there was just a load of album art dumped at the bottom for some reason.

It sounds like you are guilty of over-researching that. You want to "GET INFO" in iTunes and that's it, you do not need to know the history of ID tags :p

Nae sweat brah.

I'll sort your tags tonight brah

I'll race you.

NinjaBoiX

I'm kind of surprised honestly that people no idea how use iTunes. It pretty much needed for music players or iPhones. It like the Nintendo Wii of last gen super casual anybody can use it compared to windows media player
I know how to use iTunes. As in, add music, make a playlist, etc. That's all I've ever needed. And whenever I rip a CD, it just shows up with all the right info and art automatically.
I'll sort your tags tonight brah
Cheers fella, you and Jed can fight over it.
It sounds like you are guilty of over-researching that. You want to "GET INFO" in iTunes and that's it, you do not need to know the history of ID tags :p

Nae sweat brah.
If I could import it to iTunes I'd do that!

Also, as a side note, if I try to "play in iTunes" from Explorer it's having none of it for some reason. :| Works fine in media player. It should be notice that Pats' laptop is pretty well fucked at this point.

As for ID3 tags, I just didn't even know what they were. BGBWikipedia put it in layman's terms for me.

I'm still gathering tracks for my mixtape, along the way encountering vague insecurities about the standards of my taste as I go along. Oh well. I'll still do it. I may even flex my MS paint muscles and do a cover as it sounds like some of you have done that.

I'll probably be finished with it on the weekend.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm still gathering tracks for my mixtape, along the way encountering vague insecurities about the standards of my taste as I go along. Oh well. I'll still do it. I may even flex my MS paint muscles and do a cover as it sounds like some of you have done that.

I'll probably be finished with it on the weekend.

I'll tell you what, I'll remake my playlist and throw in a gaming track or something, thus everyone can feel good that they did not contribute the worst track.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'll tell you what, I'll remake my playlist and throw in a gaming track or something, thus everyone can feel good that they did not contribute the worst track.

I don't know about worst (my taste is impeccable) but my mix has the most pointless track on it fo sho.

Quite proud of this one, I will listen to it for some time to come. The first half is a bit more blustery than I anticipated, I meant to only put three loud songs to start but ended up with 6, and then gutted the second half of the mix and re-did almost all of it. I feel it's not only a good summation of my tastes but also reflects my thoughts and feelings about music in general.

High fuckin art.

NinjaBoiX

Complete absence of Hayley and the Dweebs from mine, I thought better of it. I very nearly put one on purely because it was probably expected, but I didn't want to interrupt the avalanche of awesome with their twee, emo stylings.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
No lie, Fez actually helped me in my current job. There is a specific puzzle... I will not spoil it too much but suffice it to say it encourages you to think of a book as a solid shape made of cross sections in three dimensions. The trick to the puzzle stuck with me and I've used it to come up with a 10x more efficient way of making place labels for exams.

GOTF.

With you totally - the concept, the symbolism, the way the story is shown and not told, the music...

NinjaBoiX

I might have to give Fez another go.

There is loads I liked about it, most of the things sploatee just mentioned, but I just got myself so hideously lost. It was some part with a lighthouse, and I couldn't for the life of me work out how to progress.

Aha, open the map!

*Huge mess of lines and cubes.*

0077_8za3.gif

*off*

I have zero patience with games, that probably doesn't bode well for Fez. I'll probably try it again, it's just all the warp doors and stuff, it's so confusing man.

What's the recommended length again?

One of the things killing me at the moment is deciding whether or not to put a track that lasts 6 minutes in or not

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
With you totally - the concept, the symbolism, the way the story is shown and not told, the music...

Oh lordy yes the music! So beautiful. The Tetris puzzle made me so excited when I figured it out - I remember because I was supposed to be eating dinner and then I cracked the code and sot all hype.

I might have to give Fez another go.

There is loads I liked about it, most of the things sploatee just mentioned, but I just got myself so hideously lost. It was some part with a lighthouse, and I couldn't for the life of me work out how to progress.

Aha, open the map!

*Huge mess of lines and cubes.*

0077_8za3.gif

*off*

I have zero patience with games, that probably doesn't bode well for Fez. I'll probably try it again, it's just all the warp doors and stuff, it's so confusing man.

Yeah, it requires immense patience and for you to stick with it at times where you're hopelessly lost. The map is a work of minor genius IMO. remember, the entire game is a three dimensional world viewed by 2d beings. The same goes for the map, the directions of the lines correspond to the view in the main game world. When it clicked it was like somebody turned the lights on for me. Ooooooooh!

edit: the warp doors are fairly easy though - at the end of a 'world' there will be the warp door which will take you back to the main hub. It will later allow access to each of the other worlds too (from a different in-game direction, or side of the cube). Again, getting the hand of the geography is probably the biggest challenge of the game. But it's soooooo elegant and awesome.

One of the things killing me at the moment is deciding whether or not to put a track that lasts 6 minutes in or not

Normal album length I guess? 40-60 mins? Last year I did a double album for it though.

NinjaBoiX

Jed, I'm listening to yours right now. The first track is immense! These riffs are so PPHHAAATTTTT!!!

But I have no idea who these people are, it's just a list of tracks.

And yeah, I'll try an envision the Fez map the way you described next time, see if I can wrap my teeny tiny mind around it.

Mine is 13 tracks, 44 mins.
Mines called (486) Days of Mikeside - Official Soundtrack

It'll make you all weep
Brackets make titles better.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jed, I'm listening to yours right now. The first track is immense! These riffs are so PPHHAAATTTTT!!!

But I have no idea who these people are, it's just a list of tracks.

And yeah, I'll try an envision the Fez map the way you described next time, see if I can wrap my teeny tiny mind around it.

Mine is 13 tracks, 44 mins.

Brackets make titles better.

ITS IN THE ARTIST INFO YOU LUDDITE MOFUCKA haha

off top of my head the artists are:

Alpha Male Tea Party
Tall Ships
Shellac
Desaparecidos
Saul Williams
Cave In
Bill Callahan
Devics
Jamie Lenman
Los Camps
Broken Social Scene
M Ward
Kyuss (lol)
Low

It's basically a mix designed to get Mikeside to show me his anus.

NinjaBoiX

So I've got to go and look for it each time in properties or whatever? Lol, ID3 tags. :p

I just listed them with the artist in the same body of text. I'm sure someone will tell me I've done it wrong, but whatever, I'll just upload it and let someone fix it!

If you can add some art while your at it, just use the MF Doom cover cos it's mint.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I've got to go and look for it each time in properties or whatever? Lol, ID3 tags. :p

I just listed them with the artist in the same body of text. I'm sure someone will tell me I've done it wrong, but whatever, I'll just upload it and let someone fix it!

If you can add some art while your at it, just use the MF Doom cover cos it's mint.

noooooooo, if you import them into iTunes the artist/album/title/track info should all be there for you. So when you play it on your phone it should work.

I hope lol

also, MF DOOM FUCK YEA

NinjaBoiX

Cool, I've done that, and yeah, it's showed up! Fuck you cover art too. :D

I also did it with mine, and sure enough, they're all over the place.

i think they may need ID tagging.

derp

I'm going to try and do it before I upload, I can't be beaten at the final hurdle!

Edit: all the info appears to be right, the tracks just want tagging with the right numbers.

Hystzen

I was going have 3 versions of playlist that changes the final song like a bioware game having 3 endings.

Instead I went true bioware and removed choice and put all 3 on at the end because choices don't matter

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I was going have 3 versions of playlist that changes the final song like a bioware game having 3 endings.

Instead I went true bioware and removed choice and put all 3 on at the end because choices don't matter

Ha classy man :) I had the same issue, tried about 5 Bright Eyes songs for the end but went another direction eventually, the irony of the title jumped out at me.

NinjaBoiX

lol
Ha classy man :) I had the same issue, tried about 5 Bright Eyes songs for the end but went another direction eventually, the irony of the title jumped out at me.
Yeah, I knew I wanted to end on a Bjork tune, and I knew which one. But then when I was finished, I wanted to change it to Pagan Poetry (my favourite Bjork track) but it felt a bit downer. Then I toyed with Hyperballad, but it was too obvious a choice and a bit too energetic for a closer. Then I put It's In Our Hands but changed my mind and switched back to the original one!

The little bit at the end is just a perfect close; a bit strange but utterly gorgeous. That's her music in a nutshell really.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Eeek. If any of you get to the end of mine, I'll have done well. :-/

It starts off with an oud duet. Then you've some 1950s vocal pop, a Schubert song with crazy guitar, some free-ish jazz, French pop, Peter cook and dudley Moore, O Superman and then some gospel and azaelia banks and then it finishes with this gorgeous south Korean pop ballad from the early 70s.

Enjoy!

Muhahahahahahahaha

most important thing I love listening to it so I don't care

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Eeek. If any of you get to the end of mine, I'll have done well. :-/

It starts off with an oud duet. Then you've some 1950s vocal pop, a Schubert song with crazy guitar, some free-ish jazz, French pop, Peter cook and dudley Moore, O Superman and then some gospel and azaelia banks and then it finishes with this gorgeous south Korean pop ballad from the early 70s.

Enjoy!

Muhahahahahahahaha

most important thing I love listening to it so I don't care

Awesome, I can't tell if you're an evil genius or just evil, but I thank you in advance for making my iPod more diverse ;)

Saeed is one of the best dudes out there brit-gaf

I'm listening to bittersweet tunes. Such a gorgeous track.

If you have a dropbox PM mikeside to get in on some awesome mixtapes.

That goes for everyone btw, even if you're not submitting feel free to come ransack our record collections. Even the anti-clique are allowed.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Awesome, I can't tell if you're an evil genius or just evil, but I thank you in advance for making my iPod more diverse.

It's ok. I really put a of thought into it and the artwork blah blah blah so I hope people enjoy it. It's all quite listenable I hope! There's only one or two where people might take the p out of me.

I'm totally looking forward to hearing yours and everyone elses!

NinjaBoiX

Right, just finished Jed's mix, really liked it. It flowed well and had a good mix of genres and styles.

Favourite tracks:

Alpha Male Tea Party - Boris Bike Briefcase Man
Tall Ships - Gallop
Desaparecidos - Anonymous
Saul Williams - List Of Demands
Bill Callahan - Ride My Arrow
Devics - Catch
Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline)

The red ones in particular really stirred my beans. Lol at the 1 second Kyuss track!

Hystzen

It's ok. I really put a of thought into it and the artwork blah blah blah so I hope people enjoy it. It's all quite listenable I hope! There's only one or two where people might take the p out of me.

Nah brah the more varied the better imo i be putting it on ipod when sorting it out later

This time not done a mixture only got 2 songs that different genre but went for more telling a story about my 3 year relationship so went for songs that fitting the tone instead.

AcridMeat

Banned
If you have a dropbox PM mikeside to get in on some awesome mixtapes.

That goes for everyone btw, even if you're not submitting feel free to come ransack our record collections. Even the anti-clique are allowed.
Ah shit I gotta take care of some things but I'll PM him my dropbox all the same. Sploatee's sounds interesting so want to check it out.

Is there a deadline here?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Right, just finished Jed's mix, really liked it. It flowed well and had a good mix of genres and styles.

Favourite tracks:

Alpha Male Tea Party - Boris Bike Briefcase Man
Tall Ships - Gallop
Desaparecidos - Anonymous
Saul Williams - List Of Demands
Bill Callahan - Ride My Arrow
Devics - Catch
Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline)

The red ones in particular really stirred my beans. Lol at the 1 second Kyuss track!

aw yeah dat peer validatation :) glad you enjoyed brah! I'd say they're prob my favourite too, you got taste.

NinjaBoiX

OK, mine is up, and I'm assured by Mr Sniv that the ID tags are now in the correct order.
Saeed is one of the best dudes out there brit-gaf

I'm listening to bittersweet tunes. Such a gorgeous track.
Nice man!

Is that another tune sampling Bjork - It's In Our Hands? I could swear it is.

Now make a playlist.

And shorty is canny damn cool like.

Nonsense man, I'll listen to anything once!

(I bet it's cool. Azealia Banks out of nowhere, BOOM!)
aw yeah dat peer validatation :) glad you enjoyed brah! I'd say they're prob my favourite too, you got taste.
Was good shit mane.

AcridMeat

Banned
Nah no deadlines really. And even better, now we have a mint BritGAF share folder.
Cool! Will have to work on one then.
.Nice man!

Is that another tune sampling Bjork - It's In Our Hands? I could swear it is.

Now make a playlist.

And shorty is canny damn cool like.
As it turns out, that's the original that Bjork sampled. I found it by looking up the nujabes track on whosampled to find the original. It's great.

I miss my travel bro ninj.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

*raises hand*

Besides, if I did a mixtape it would be all Noel Coward, Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, Earl Scruggs and Ava Gardner - plus a few more up-to-date stuff like Kenny Rogers and CPE Bach.

If it don't work on a Nokia 5140 I don't understand it.

So probably not a good time to ask what "whatsapp" is! I suspect it may be irrelevant to me.

Edit: Last time I did a mixtape it was on real (-to-reel) tape. Didn't go down all that well in the '70s either: too much Chris De Burgh.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
*raises hand*

Besides, if I did a mixtape it would be all Noel Coward, Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, Earl Scruggs and Ava Gardner - plus a few more up-to-date stuff like Kenny Rogers and CPE Bach.

If it don't work on a Nokia 5140 I don't understand it.

So probably not a good time to ask what "whatsapp" is! I suspect it may be irrelevant to me.

Edit: Last time I did a mixtape it was on real (-to-reel) tape. Didn't go down all that well in the '70s either: too much Chris De Burgh.

Sheep I want to hear your mix. It sounds amazing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Nonsense man, I'll listen to anything once!

(I bet it's cool. Azealia Banks out of nowhere, BOOM!)

Ta! In my first draft I made it full of good songs but I decided I couldn't trust those songs as I hadn't known them long enough. So I only put on songs that I've really liked for at least a year. And that one made it!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sheep I want to hear your mix. It sounds amazing.

Just a quick check Sploat, do you mean the one with too much Chris de Burgh (and incidentally Moody Blues) or the other one?

Probably best I could do is string together whatever I can find on Youtube, as my collection has over the years been burgled twice and deliberately culled thrice - leaving mostly Johnny Cash and a few tapes of a Male Voice Choir with me in it (you can spot me on the tape because I'm the only tenor that remembers the words).

Oh. Forgot to mention Steeleye Span.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Phi, I should've put some Django on my mix.

I forgot you were a fellow fan.

More than a fellow fan. I'm two handshakes away from Django Reinhardt the same way I am two handshakes away from Albert Einstein. That is my (very minor) claim to fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom