• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Stormtrooper is going to start writing slash fiction about you two.

Ahhh, right. I see. Gotcha. I understand what has been said. I have read and interpreted the information and terms. I am up to speed on the conversation. I comprehend the aforementioned discussion with 100% clarity and I have no remaining questions or queries.

NinjaBoiX

I like your username!
Me too! Reminds me of:

Cs5BKRW.jpg

Fuck it:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mysteries

"Take it away Nick!"

:D

love that band, so it was definitely an inspiration.

also stormtrooper, if you are going to include me in romantic fanfiction, can you at least portray me accurately? i am a loud and disappointing lover.

NinjaBoiX

Just listened to dapper's tape, it's was definitely entertaining, lots of funky bass and stuff. After seeing Com Truise up there I had a feeling it was going to have a bit of an electro vibe.

If I'm honest I didn't dig it as much as I'd hoped though. I knew it would be very electro, I just didn't figure it would be quite so disco too with the squelchy 80's synths and stuff. It's just not really my bag.

I did like these tracks though:

Com Truise - Karova
Xtrafunk - Infinite
FM Attack - a Million Miles Away
Yppah - R.Mullen
Com Truise - Closed

I really liked the Yppah track, easily my favourite. Is it about Rodney Mullen? Massive kudos points if so, the dude's a living legend. -1 point for two tracks by the same artist though, mix tape faux pas so it is. ;)

I'd say the same thing I said about Mike's too, more variety would've been cool. I enjoyed listening to it though and I got introduced to Yppah, so it's all good.

Have you heard the Hed Kandi compilations? I think you'll dig.

Highly recommend ypahh ninja (the name is just happy backwards) and I did anticipate you'd like that track. Glad you at least enjoyed some of it, squelchy base is my thing at the moment but some of my tracks were pushing it and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

NinjaBoiX

Nice one daps.

yppaH - Happy

UmpOi.gif

I didn't see that at all! I'll check out some more stuff, I like.

BGBW's tape was hugely enjoyable. Very camp, loads of fun. Just a load of classics really, can't go wrong! Some favourites:

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Dancing In The Street
The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
J. Geils Band - Centefold
Kool & The Gang - Ladies' Night
The Seatbelts - Waltz For Zizi
Another Bad Creation - Playground (Castlevania Mashup)

The last track man, WTF in the best possible way! I could be a minge about having heard nearly all of the stuff but you made an entertaining tape with plenty of variety and I like the majority of the tunes you put on there.

Good stuff mane.

The cover art is the best of the bunch too, a masterpiece. I'm actually going to post it for posterity:

CivXoRH.jpg

I'll check out jimbor's Spotify mix tomorrow.

NinjaBoiX

Happy Birthday sploatee!

Your present from me is a little dollop of joyous tunes:

Bad Manners - Lip Up Fatty

Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady

Dub Pistols - Cyclone

CPCuxTy.jpg

:D
Nah, there was a Bolero Red '67 Camaro in Sainsbury's car park. Really well looked after. Made my day.
This is why I love Dave.
What's all this mixtape nonsense. Are there rules? How long? Where are they all?

I may do one if I can be bothered. So probably not.
This is why I love Rob.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Listened to BGBW's mix last night. As Ninj said it was actually a delightful listen, had the mrs bobbing and whooping at a few tracks (I do believe Ladies Night caused a stir) and was generally a very pleasurable way to spend an hour. And it didn't get creepy at all, I commend you on your restraint and working to please an audience.

Also gave Madame Sploat's mix a proper focussed bus listen this morning, I liked it even more the send time. Again, that transition from O Superman to Like a Ship is just CRUSHING - I'm not familiar with Laurie Anderson at all and don't know anything about the context of the song but it is so depressing at a deep inner soul level. I can't tell if the mechanical, electronic petrochemical arms are supposed to be a good thing but I didn't get the impression. It felt like being a baby raised by people wearing masks. Very claustrophobic. The transition into the next song is such a relief, all those jubilant human sounds. I love a good crowd-sing and that gospel, hold nothing back vibe really jars up against O Superman in the best way. After that the Banks song is just a feels palette cleanser, much appreciated (and also I've never heard the word "cunt" quite that many times in a song)

Dug the rest. The dueling sounds of Lonely Woman were neat, was expecting something more smooth jazz with that title. I really liked the bluegrass type song after the Derek and Clive, I'd say of everything that's the song that I liked the most for my own personal tastes. But I enjoyed the whole thing, and found it a challenging (in my world that's good) listen.

What's all this mixtape nonsense. Are there rules? How long? Where are they all?

I may do one if I can be bothered. So probably not.

Do it! You have decent taste, I'd be interested in seeing what you do. We're currently sharing a dropbox drive, if you want in then PM me your dropbox username and I can add you to the share so if nothing else you can raid our goodies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Happy Birthday, Sploatee!

(Did I get it right this time?)

Good call on the Laurie Anderson. I need to get that Dropbox stuff on the go. These playlists will work on my phone, right?

Does anyone really want to watch Dad's Army with new actors?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27188386

:(

Really why do they do this (apart from the money, obs)? Do they really think they're going to improve on the original?

It's like when they remade the Pink Panther film. Who's the arse who said, "Y'know, I don't think Peter Sellers quite nailed the role of Inspector Clouseau"?

Edit: Happy bday Sploats

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Really why do they do this (apart from the money, obs)? Do they really think they're going to improve on the original?

It's like when they remade the Pink Panther film. Who's the arse who said, "Y'know, I don't think Peter Sellers quite nailed the role of Inspector Clouseau"?

It's because people are idiots. Idiots who are more likely to engage with something they're already familiar with. Solution - let's kill all the idiots. We would solve world hunger, overpopulation, Sky Living and DMAX all in one fell swoop. Who's with me??

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Glad people liked the cover. Was worried it could be seen as a sacrilege to "deface" that album.

As for Dad's Army - the biggest problem I see is the lack of familiarity with the setting. The original was written not too long after WWII so the writers were aware of what life was like at the time. Instead of writing from experience I fear the new writers will basically base it off the original (and other WWII shows) and just emulate the feel. Also being written so close to the time meant the humour of the original was very much in line with the setting. If it is a cinema release there is always the chance they'll be writing this for the wider audience meaning they'll try to jazz it up with modern jokes which would be out of place in a WWII setting.

As for Dad's Army - the biggest problem I see is the lack of familiarity with the setting. The original was written not too long after WWII so the writers were aware of what life was like at the time. Instead of writing from experience I fear the new writers will basically base it off the original (and other WWII shows) and just emulate the feel. Also being written so close to the time meant the humour of the original was very much in line with the setting. If it is a cinema release there is always the chance they'll be writing this for the wider audience meaning they'll try to jazz it up with modern jokes which would be out of place in a WWII setting.

All you need to know is that its being directed by Oliver Parker (Johnny English Reborn, St Trinian's) and written by Hamish McColl (Johnny English Reborn and Mr Bean's Holiday) to get a sense of this remakes quality.

All you need to know is that its being directed by Oliver Parker (Johnny English Reborn, St Trinian's) and written by Hamish McColl (Johnny English Reborn and Mr Bean's Holiday) to get a sense of this remakes quality.

So, Rowan Atkinson as Captain Mainwaring?

It's because people are idiots. Idiots who are more likely to engage with something they're already familiar with. Solution - let's kill all the idiots. We would solve world hunger, overpopulation, Sky Living and DMAX all in one fell swoop. Who's with me??

It's a radical solution, but I think this is just the kind of fresh thinking we need. I'm voting Sniv on 22nd May.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Happy Birthday sploatee!

Your present from me is a little dollop of joyous tunes:
QUOTE]

Thanks Ninj!

Anyway, happy sploatee birthday! Which sounds a bit racy.

Thanks 8bit! I'm very racy, can't you tell? I'm going to have TWO pots of tea today.

Also gave Madame Sploat's mix a proper focussed bus listen this morning, I liked it even more the send time. Again, that transition from O Superman to Like a Ship is just CRUSHING - I'm not familiar with Laurie Anderson at all and don't know anything about the context of the song but it is so depressing at a deep inner soul level. I can't tell if the mechanical, electronic petrochemical arms are supposed to be a good thing but I didn't get the impression. It felt like being a baby raised by people wearing masks. Very claustrophobic. The transition into the next song is such a relief, all those jubilant human sounds. I love a good crowd-sing and that gospel, hold nothing back vibe really jars up against O Superman in the best way. After that the Banks song is just a feels palette cleanser, much appreciated (and also I've never heard the word "cunt" quite that many times in a song)

Dug the rest. The dueling sounds of Lonely Woman were neat, was expecting something more smooth jazz with that title. I really liked the bluegrass type song after the Derek and Clive, I'd say of everything that's the song that I liked the most for my own personal tastes. But I enjoyed the whole thing, and found it a challenging (in my world that's good) listen.

I'm so chuffed you're getting into it! I'm not sure how O Superman is meant to be taken, but I find it desperately sad too. It feels like a sister to Talking Heads' 'Once in a Lifetime' - all early 80s futurism. I keep using the word eerie but it is so eerie! There's so much space in the track and everything is so synthesised. It's really cold but it still connects. Gush gush gush. It's also weirdly catchy (I found myself singing the first bit to myself this morning).

Great about Lonely Woman too. I love it when you get brass duelling with each other and its in that minor key but it sounds tough- it was originally going to be a Fela Kuti track but it was 12 minutes long.

Happy Birthday, Sploatee!

(Did I get it right this time?)

Good call on the Laurie Anderson. I need to get that Dropbox stuff on the go. These playlists will work on my phone, right?

You did get it right! 21 today. Should do, I think? Mikeside's actually worked for me and so did Hyszten's. Just working through them now. Once I've listened to those three I'm going to take the next random batch!

GuPNwao.jpg

Happiness ahead I hope sploatee, best wishes.

Thanks! DEATHS ARE COMING

Ta muchly! Sorry I didn't MK last night, I was needed at home at quite short notice.

Happy birthday sploat! Hope it's an awesome one for you x

Ta Mush! Off to Blackpool (once I've had a brew) to treat mummy Sploat to a shopping day. She's very easily pleased so it should be quite easy! x

PS can you tell who has discovered multi-quote? I'm gonna do a little dance, make a little noise (is that on BGBW's playlist ho ho ho etc etc etc)

This is why I love Rob.
<3
Do it! You have decent taste, I'd be interested in seeing what you do. We're currently sharing a dropbox drive, if you want in then PM me your dropbox username and I can add you to the share so if nothing else you can raid our goodies.

I do have some ideas of what I could put on it that would flow together well
though I'm guessing a few things I'm thinking of will garner a "the fuck is this" reaction
, so it's a possibility. Username's just the email address right? I've used Dropbox like...twice, so I'm not the most familiar with it >_>

Also happy barfday sploat!
Hopefully not an actual barfday 'cause that's just displeasant

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
<3

I do have some ideas of what I could put on it that would flow together well
though I'm guessing a few things I'm thinking of will garner a "the fuck is this" reaction
, so it's a possibility. Username's just the email address right? I've used Dropbox like...twice, so I'm not the most familiar with it >_>

Also happy barfday sploat!
Hopefully not an actual barfday 'cause that's just displeasant

Yep, just your email addy. Show us the inside of your head, man!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ugh why? I like Bill Nighy and Toby Jones but obviously nothing will beat the original.

Happy birthday sploatee!

Original was lowest common denominator crap from an era where people didn't know any better and were pleased by pretty much any flickering images beamed into their living rooms. This will likely be lowest common denominator crap in an era where I can completely ignore it.

I feel like we're better off as a culture these days.

Slowdive

Banned
Original was lowest common denominator crap from an era where people didn't know any better and were pleased by pretty much any flickering images beamed into their living rooms. This will likely be lowest common denominator crap in an era where I can completely ignore it.

I feel like we're better off as a culture these days.

Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of the original but I do like it. I just don't see the point in remaking it.

That's cool Tash, I don't mind not being the favourite. Mum's are never the favourite because we scold you when you're naughty, but it's all for your own good, just seeing the man you're becoming is reward enough for me.

Also sploat is fast catching up with Dave and phi as my favourite.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That's cool Tash, I don't mind not being the favourite. Mum's are never the favourite because we scold you when you're naughty, but it's all for your own good, just seeing the man you're becoming is reward enough for me.

That there is the post of the day.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I always find it hard to just post Happy Birthday because it sounds kind of impersonal due to the way improvements in communication has made it so easy to post. So I've kind of waffled on to bulk this post up so it doesn't quite come of as mindless.

Happy Birthday sploatee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom