• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I always find it hard to just post Happy Birthday because it sounds kind of impersonal due to the way improvements in communication has made it so easy to post. So I've kind of waffled on to bulk this post up so it doesn't quite come of as mindless.

Happy Birthday sploatee.

Thanks beebeegeebee (that is always how I read your name in my head! Don't worry about being mindless, monks spend years trying to do that)

Ta muchly! Sorry I didn't MK last night, I was needed at home at quite short notice.

S'alright. I used the opportunity to rank up a bit (Major now, woo!), since you and dapper were both quite a bit ahead of me. I think I might have caught up to you now, but daps is probably still way off in the distance.

I'm glad I stuck with MK. I wrote it off at first (apart from the awesome music), but there's something addictive about getting the materials for that sliiiiiightly better gun.

Ordered a new PS4 headset btw (payday today!) so hopefully I'll be able to hear you and daps (and Ninj?) next time we play

NinjaBoiX

I'm going to be so far behind you guys on Merc Kings, I've never had it on! I'll still play though.

lol, wot a n00b
I always find it hard to just post Happy Birthday because it sounds kind of impersonal due to the way improvements in communication has made it so easy to post. So I've kind of waffled on to bulk this post up so it doesn't quite come of as mindless.

Happy Birthday sploatee.
Haha, that's so BGBW that is.
Sod this for a game of Strip Canasta, I'm gonna see about going round a mate's house some time soon and cooking up some kind of mix-tape.
Good man!

Listening to jimbor's tonight, then Rob's as he's just put it up.

Rob's will be wall to wall punk with at least two Bomb The Music Industry! tracks. Calling it now.

I'm going to be so far behind you guys on Merc Kings, I've never had it on! I'll still play though.

lol, wot a n00b

Haha, that's so BGBW that is.

Good man!

Listening to jimbor's tonight, then Rob's as he's just put it up.

Rob's will be wall to wall punk with at least two Bomb The Music Industry! tracks. Calling it now.

...motherfucker. I was genuinely thinking of opening and closing it on BtMI!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What dog do I have to suck off to get access to everyone's lovely tuneage?

My dog/me

PM me your dropbox email addy and I'll add you in.

Looking forward to hearing the remaining mixes, I know Jimbor usually teaches me a thing or two about old people music and I see Rob(ot) post in the cool music threads all the time. Wins.

NinjaBoiX

You'll get pwned Ninj, but you should still join us. For the lulz.
Sounds about right.
...motherfucker. I was genuinely thinking of opening and closing it on BtMI!
You wouldn't be the first chief.
I see Rob(ot) post in the cool music threads all the time. Wins.
Yeah, the first time I talked to him was in here (OT3 maybe?) about Dinosaur Pile-Up, I became intrigued with the man. He's thrown some good stuff my way.

He's a bit of a grumpy twat, but knowingly so! :p

Mint handle too.

NinjaBoiX

Sploatee this O Superman track is amazing.
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't dig it. :/ Class tape in general though, that was the only one I wasn't feeling.

I liked the melodies and stuff and the vocoder sound wasn't super obnoxious or anything, it was mainly that "ah ah ah ah ah ah" repeating the whole way through that put me off.

I'm really easily irritated by repetitive sounds, even though I love Daft Punk, kings of the 10 second loop, go figure.

One of the worst offenders, as much as I love them in general is:

Public Enemy - She Watch Channel Zero

When it gets to that chorus:

"SHE WATCH-SHE WATCH-SHE WATCH-SHE WATCH-SHE WATCH-SHE WATCH-SHE WATCH-SHE WATCH"

ARGHHH!

stop-stop.gif

edit: AW yiss 212
+1

8bit

Knows the Score
I've made a mixtape and posted it over on my blog : http://globalvariables.net/audio.out/2014/04/29/butyouregettingdryer/

It wasn't directly for this but coincidentally timed, however I'm particularly pleased that I've been able to restore the old posts from 2006-2009 ish when I actually had an audience and I'm kind of enjoying reading my old posts.

502x538xcassette.jpg.pagespeed.ic.eqj7lkq7ck.jpg

To be fair I don't think any of you really care for early 90s techno/pop/indie crossover stuff but I had fun dammit!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've made a mixtape and posted it over on my blog : http://globalvariables.net/audio.out/2014/04/29/butyouregettingdryer/

It wasn't directly for this but coincidentally timed, however I'm particularly pleased that I've been able to restore the old posts from 2006-2009 ish when I actually had an audience and I'm kind of enjoying reading my old posts.

To be fair I don't think any of you really care for early 90s techno/pop/indie crossover stuff but I had fun dammit!

That was a good read man. Downloading your mix now for an hours worth of the kind of music I found vaguely threatening as a child.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jimbor you chunt, I downloaded the zip of your mix folder without checking only to find a stingy text file. You London centric bastard and your expectation of mobile internet.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Look forward to hearing it!

You never post here anyyyway

sorry sploat, you just got benched

That's alright. I'd bench myself for cheez.

ps thanks everyone, this is the most birthday wishes I've ever got in my whole life! So great big <3 to you all, I feel very warm and fuzzied!

NinjaBoiX

8bit, page bookmarked, I will check it out, added to the queue!

Jimmy's tape, proper good. Really eclectic and I liked nearly all of it. Plenty of new stuff too. Favs:

Nas - Life's A Bitch
Baio - Sunburn Modern
Todd Terje - Inspector Norse
Nick Cave - What Must Be Done
James Brown - Down and Out In New York City
Giorgio Moroder - Tears
Jamie xx - Far Nearer
Massive Attack - Karmacoma) Bumper Ball Dub)

It's probably the tape that appealed to my usual tastes the most, really enjoyed it. I very nearly put that Nas track on mine but chose something else at the last minute. Absolutely loved the Baio track, and that a cappella MJ track was a classy close. Damn that kid could sing!

Ads randomly played throughout (Spotify pauper here), I thought you'd put the weirdest skit in the world on you mix the first time it happened.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
8bit, page bookmarked, I will check it out, added to the queue!

Jimmy's tape, proper good. Really eclectic and I liked nearly all of it. Plenty of new stuff too. Favs:

Nas - Life's A Bitch
Baio - Sunburn Modern
Todd Terje - Inspector Norse
Nick Cave - What Must Be Done
James Brown - Down and Out In New York City
Giorgio Moroder - Tears
Jamie xx - Far Nearer
Massive Attack - Karmacoma) Bumper Ball Dub)

It's probably the tape that appealed to my usual tastes the most, really enjoyed it. I very nearly put that Nas track on mine but chose something else at the last minute. Absolutely loved the Baio track, and that a cappella MJ track was a classy close. Damn that kid could sing!

Ads randomly played throughout (Spotify pauper here), I thought you'd put the weirdest skit in the world on you mix the first time it happened.

I have been listening also. It's good but 4 hours 40. Come on man, give us 50 mins of gold!

AcridMeat

Banned
Right my terrible piece of garbage that I love is being uploaded. Did the tags and everything, ignore the track numbers in the title of the files, just put em into whatever player and sort by album and it should be good to go.

I forgot a set list doc in the rar but I'll quickly get that up just in case.

Now to get on with others'. Came in at 61 minutes hope that's okay.

edit: One of the songs is a shit rip (128kbps mp4) from years ago, but it doesn't sound that bad you'll see.

edit 2: NinjMinj I already discussed O Superman with you on whatsapp. Basically if you can get past that repetitiveness it's really something.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
so I've declared war on my friend from college and have decided to desecrate pictures of him as part of my masterplan, anyone with MS Paint or photoshop?

NinjaBoiX

Tash...

Edit: hang on, this is just some shenanigans with a current pal? Go for it, sounds like a laugh.

I thought this was that ongoing feud with your old mate from school. Carry on.

Ok I'm done.

I tried to give it a bit more variation than just 40 minutes of pop-punx, so there's a bit of that, some more indie-ish stuff, some xhardxcorex, a tiny bit of emo and some acoustic. And Bomb the Music Industry. And then a fair chunk of pop-punx.

16 songs, but only 46 minutes, a few of them are only a minute and a half so I thought it wouldn't be too much.

Also the metatags are probably fucked, sorry about that

EDIT: OH GOD WHY IS IT ADDING THE ALBUM ART FOR EVERY SONG BUT ONLY ON THE INTERNET

It's not showing up in my Dropbox folder

Help

You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living would you?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
so i am currently on the train to Southampton for an assistant managers meeting, even though i am not an assistant manager. hmm.
what's on your agenda today britgaf?

It's a day all to myself today. So going to go to piccadilly records, get some comic books, mibbe some new earrings and then might pop into a gallery. Then home to a big comfy chair.

so i am currently on the train to Southampton for an assistant managers meeting, even though i am not an assistant manager. hmm.
what's on your agenda today britgaf?
Work, then go to Manchester to wait for a flight to Belgium so I can go to Groezrock AW YEAH

It's a day all to myself today. So going to go to piccadilly records, get some comic books, mibbe some new earrings and then might pop into a gallery. Then home to a big comfy chair.

If you like punk/hardcore at all or are vegan, you should check out V Revolution just down the road
*totally not just pimping it out 'cause I'm friends with the guys who started it*

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yuck

I've got to do some coursework...
dImyJ.gif

why don't you fill in the OP questionnaire so people can take the michael

ha, I've spent most of this week organising coursework for sending to boards. SO COMPLICATED. When this job gets hard it gets fucking mental.

Anyone here been watching Fargo on 4? Shit be badass.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Work, then go to Manchester to wait for a flight to Belgium so I can go to Groezrock AW YEAH

If you like punk/hardcore at all or are vegan, you should check out V Revolution just down the road
*totally not just pimping it out 'cause I'm friends with the guys who started it*

So if I walk in and say 'I Know Robot ninja hornets" I'll get free food and records ? Is that what you are saying.

I'm reminded of a time I went to a Britgaf meet. We were metting in a pub. I follow directions to the pub. Look around inside, don't see anybody I recognise so I go up to the biggest cluster of young people I see and say "Gaf?" and get blank stares. "Y-you from the thread?" I ask. Nothing.

Did a cool 180 and walked away.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Listening to the Jed tape while out and about. It's good, this one. Nothing I don't like. I don't even mind Conor Oberst! I think if I had to pick early faves it would be Boris Bike, Tall Ships and the Bill Callahan one. It's very epic! Oh the Cave In song is marvellous too. Mikeside you are up next, once I've given this one a good few more listens.

ps the Parachute for Gordo BBC session vids are great.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Listening to the Jed tape while out and about. It's good, this one. Nothing I don't like. I don't even mind Conor Oberst! I think if I had to pick early faves it would be Boris Bike, Tall Ships and the Bill Callahan one. It's very epic! Oh the Cave In song is marvellous too. Mikeside you are up next, once I've given this one a good few more listens.

ps the Parachute for Gordo BBC session vids are great.

Aw yes, that's just what I needed today, tiny little ego massage! Glad you enjoyed it, I was worried it was a bit too heavy in retrospect but I think it's balanced and the heaviness is just super enthusiastic as opposed to dark and evil sounding. It's fizzy. With mixtapes I try to go for emotional whiplash, so in this one I tried to go loud, fast and jubilant until the turn, at which point the Callahan turns it introspective and calm, while still trying to keep it light and fun.

I loooove that Bill Callahan tune, if you get chance check out his new album Dream River, it's really stunning. And I chose the Cave In specifically for Mike since he'd never heard them before, I picked up the vinyl for it last week and it's godly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom