• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
Yeah Jed.

I like you The Poet. You're the future. And what a bright future it is.

ohstopityouplz.png

You're not so bad yourself spoat!

jimbor

Banned
Is it wrong to be slightly envious of the teenage jihadis going away to fight? Actually having somewhere to channel your disillusionment must be quite nice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funny thing about those chinner charts is that tash and mike are nowhere near the top in the post ranking for this thread.

SteveWD40

Is it wrong to be slightly envious of the teenage jihadis going away to fight? Actually having somewhere to channel your disillusionment must be quite nice.

Well, it depends on how you look at it, you could argue they are being hoodwinked. Poor, disenfranchised young men, usually ashamed of their love of Western decadence who get recruited to join up to a cause who will then use them for their own political gain.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it depends on how you look at it, you could argue they are being hoodwinked. Poor, disenfranchised young men, usually ashamed of their love of Western decadence who get recruited to join up to a cause who will then use them for their own political gain.

Take the "ashamed of Western decadence" bit out and you've got every army in the world's recruitment method.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.
Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

0KMJZA1.jpg

jimbor

Banned
Well it certainly doesn't speak highly of your current circumstances, let's put it that way.
My current life circumstances are pretty peachy, merely remembering my youth.

True but most of them will probably be too dense to realise. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

SmokyDave

Such an amazing poem.
Certainly is. I spent a while re-reading some war poetry a while back (and some inspired by the Troubles) and I'm yet to find anything that quite compares to Dulce et Decorum est.

I might have to punch you for your lazy and cheap appropriation of the work Cheezmo. You could've at least overlaid the text on the image so it was all internet-hip.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Certainly is. I spent a while re-reading some war poetry a while back (and some inspired by the Troubles) and I'm yet to find anything that quite compares to Dulce et Decorum est.

I might have to punch you for your lazy and cheap appropriation of the work Cheezmo. You could've at least overlaid the text on the image so it was all internet-hip.

If I was a pompous English grad (which I am), I'd describe it as ' coruscating '. It's just righteous.

The_Poet

Banned
I think 'The Soldier' by Rupert Brooke is my favourite war poem:
IF I should die, think only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

The imagery is so patriotic.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think you mean the south and YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT US!!!

I have walked amongst your people and observed their ways. They are a strange breed with funny accents and bizarre terms for mealtimes.

I have concluded that if we can agree both a currency union and for London to take all of the UK's debt and absorb it into its rotting heart, I will be voting for Northern Independence on [insert date of Scottish Referendum].

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
BGBW is getting heated trying to educate these foolish posters who dare to besmirch the ritual of sharing internet memes.

The_Poet

Banned
I have walked amongst your people and observed their ways. They are a strange breed with funny accents and bizarre terms for mealtimes.

I have concluded that if we can agree both a currency union and for London to take all of the UK's debt and absorb it into its rotting heart, I will be voting for Northern Independence on [insert date of Scottish Referendum].

How will the north survive without cornish pasties?

There was a really hot guy on the tube home. Vest top, huge biceps covered in tats, big green eyes, stubbly beard, I was literally swooning. And I was stood right by him at the end of the carriage, so every time someone wanted to get off I had to practically push myself into him to let them past. Hnnngggggggg.

Really hope he's on the same train tomorrow :D

There was a really hot guy on the tube home. Vest top, huge biceps covered in tats, big green eyes, stubbly beard, I was literally swooning. And I was stood right by him at the end of the carriage, so every time someone wanted to get off I had to practically push myself into him to let them past. Hnnngggggggg.

We should use this inspiration to write a screen play for a Brit Gaf romcom.

jimbor

Banned

That's sexual harassment, mane.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BGBW is getting heated trying to educate these foolish posters who dare to besmirch the ritual of sharing internet memes.
Actually I just think a lot of people are naturally unfunny and really should be prevented from attempting jokes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
While there are a lot of examples that fit such a description, you're unfortunately hundreds of years too late for that, B. If you ever get a hold of a time machine though, you should try heading things off just before the development of the printing press.

misandry, plz.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While there are a lot of examples that fit such a description, you're unfortunately hundreds of years too late for that, B. If you ever get a hold of a time machine though, you should try heading things off just before the development of the printing press.
Well to continue this elitist train of thought, before websites had "meme generators" to add text to an image you had to have a small amount of brain cells to know how to use a graphics programme. This small bit of brain power also meant you likely knew how to construct a joke. I'm not saying early Internet was home to the kings of comedy, it's just that there was a small entry barrier that did prevent halfwits from trying. Basically today everyone thinks they are a comedian and that's the fastest way to ensure a lot of unfunniness.

But seriously a lot "funny" image macros are literally stating a situation and the joke is you relate to said situation. It's funny because it's true.

Of course I realise I'm not the best person to act elitist about humour since my sense of humour is basically on another planet compared to most.

You must be fun at parties.
Well lucky for me parties don't usually consist of people swapping image macros they made on imgur around. Just drinks and card games.

The_Poet

Banned
Well to continue this elitist train of thought, before websites had "meme generators" to add text to an image you had to have a small amount of brain cells to know how to use a graphics programme. This small bit of brain power also meant you likely knew how to construct a joke. I'm not saying early Internet was home to the kings of comedy, it's just that there was a small entry barrier that did prevent halfwits from trying. Basically today everyone thinks they are a comedian and that's the fastest way to ensure a lot of unfunniness.

But seriously a lot "funny" image macros are literally stating a situation and the joke is you relate to said situation. It's funny because it's true.

Of course I realise I'm not the best person to act elitist about humour since my sense of humour is basically on another planet compared to most.

Well lucky for me parties don't usually consist of people swapping image macros they made on imgur around. Just drinks and card games.

gaWhrVB.jpg

All seriousness, I think its more just a case of growing up and sense of humor changing. Stuff I found funny a few years ago is terrible now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom