• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
jesus christ, koalas are terrifying.

I bet they're like that friend everyone has who is totally cool and friendly 95% of the time, gets on with pretty much everyone. However when something irks them, RIP in peace to whoever pissed them off.

New topic for a new page: is it weird that I've never had any inkling to go to a weekend long music festival? The idea of live music and getting wasted sounds awesome, but the medieval living encampment with thousands of other people with no showers puts me right off.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I feel you there, Papa BGBW, I just found it slightly amusing that you would bother to try and educate the masses in such a way. It can become grating as a veteran webby surfer to see these kinds of things so prolific in social media, but remember that it's probably all new to most people so it seems a lot more funny/interesting despite the fact that earliest ancestors of these half-jokes such as caturday cats have been around for decades now.

Let the digital plebs have their bread and macro circuses while we sip wine from our ivory tower of dapperbandit jokes.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Memes do change how you think a bit though.

Today I was doing something at work and thought "ooo that's good" and that meme of "that's good. That's damn good " popped in my head.

I guess it's just communication changing. Young people actually say "hashtag lol" and such.

Americans seem to have drop the ed from everything. How dare you call me bias! I am so hype for this. Etc.

Language and thought change with time. Because thought is possibly a product of language and language now includes all of these wonderful Memes and internets. I don't capitalise half of These Words. My phone does it for me. Because it is bloody crazy.

And at the end of the post, she realises it actually isn't relevant. Is there a link to the thread?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Good points, sploat. Language does influence thought, in a very profound way. Which is why different languages can and do have such a powerful effect on the cultures that use them and why Orwell's doublethink is a real thing.

And the discussion we are talking about takes place in that kermit the frog thread.

Edit: Link here

jimbor

Banned
I bet they're like that friend everyone has who is totally cool and friendly 95% of the time, gets on with pretty much everyone. However when something irks them, RIP in peace to whoever pissed them off.

New topic for a new page: is it weird that I've never had any inkling to go to a weekend long music festival? The idea of live music and getting wasted sounds awesome, but the medieval living encampment with thousands of other people with no showers puts me right off.
Not weird at all. If you want to be surrounded by middle class cunts getting off their faces there are cheaper options out there.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Good points, sploat. Language does influence thought, in a very profound way. Which is why different languages can and do have such a powerful effect on the cultures that use them and why Orwell's doublethink is a real thing.

And the discussion we are talking about takes place in that kermit the frog thread.

Thanks. I'm completely lost. But it looks like it might be the same kind of humour you see in things like Michael Bay films and stuff like Ride Along aka not funny (just dumb, as in really genuinely upsettingly jock-dumb) humour.No sir I don't like it.

Not weird at all. If you want to be surrounded by middle class cunts getting off their faces there are cheaper options out there.

Definitely agree on the cheaper part. I was wondering before if I should just go to one say next year on the off chance I enjoy it. Then I saw the price, and thought that I'd rather see several acts live in an arena or something for the same amount, and I wouldn't have to burn my clothes like a heathen of old if I went to a festival.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Job interview tomorrow for a brand consulting company in Manchester should be interesting. Had a meeting today with the receptionist giving me more details about job and she is smoking hot with a infectious laugh.

Do not, whatever you do, ask them what a brand consulting company does and how it can afford such swish offices. That's why I didn't go into advertising and did computers instead, which was probably a better move at the time.

As far as I can tell, conspiracy is a really hard one to get proof beyond reasonable doubt for. Whether it's likely she knew, the proof wasn't there.

Not any more it wasn't. That's the thing about a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice charge - you can get out of it two ways: (a) if you didn't do it, and (b) if you did it really really well.

Is it wrong to be slightly envious of the teenage jihadis going away to fight? Actually having somewhere to channel your disillusionment must be quite nice.

Well yeah, it must be. But you could get more-or-less the same effect in Lincolnshire.

Skegness.

At least, I'm pretty sure I quoted this post in order to say "skegness" in response - but I have lost the context a bit. Senior moment.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Must be some sort of record. Weston-super-Mare has been (loosely) in the news three times in one weekend.

Once for the parachutist dropping onto a pensioner.

Once for the little kid up to his shoulders in the mudflats being ticked off by his mum.

And once in the Saturday Telegraph News Quiz, Question 6 "What has recently been voted the sexiest beach in the world? (Hint: it is not Weston-super-Mare)". Look genuine news is fair enough. Gratuitous sideswipes not. Bah Humbug.

Lovely weather though.

jimbor

Banned
Definitely agree on the cheaper part. I was wondering before if I should just go to one say next year on the off chance I enjoy it. Then I saw the price, and thought that I'd rather see several acts live in an arena or something for the same amount, and I wouldn't have to burn my clothes like a heathen of old if I went to a festival.

If you absolutely must do one, I'd say do one abroad. Before I got too old for that shit, I went to Exit in Serbia. Guaranteed hot weather, cheap booze and bookended with a trip to Budapest. Good shit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Morning.

Memes do change how you think a bit though.

Today I was doing something at work and thought "ooo that's good" and that meme of "that's good. That's damn good " popped in my head.

I guess it's just communication changing. Young people actually say "hashtag lol" and such.

Americans seem to have drop the ed from everything. How dare you call me bias! I am so hype for this. Etc.

Language and thought change with time. Because thought is possibly a product of language and language now includes all of these wonderful Memes and internets. I don't capitalise half of These Words. My phone does it for me. Because it is bloody crazy.

And at the end of the post, she realises it actually isn't relevant. Is there a link to the thread?

This may be of interest.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I was thinking on the drive down to Southampton that you need to start giving me some kind of street team tasks to get the word out a bit more

Yeah it's not a bad idea! tbh I don't even know what a street team does. Do you just accost cool looking kids and say TRY THIS!! ? Evangelistic fans such as yourself are the lifeblood of any band, much appreciated. You should totally remind us about your secret present when you see us play next too, I think Johnny has it in the box.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This is familiar! This, Saussure, Pinker and Chomsky gave me many a wild night back at uni.
Honestly, it was wild.

Wild. Love a bit of Chomsky. He manages to articulate incredibly complicated ideas in a way that even I can sort of kind of nearly almost not really but I'll pretend anyway understand.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Pinker sounds like the one who would pass out first, then get pink eye.

He was the cool kid. Always had one eye on the mass market.

Wild. Love a bit of Chomsky. He manages to articulate incredibly complicated ideas in a way that even I can sort of kind of nearly almost not really but I'll pretend anyway understand.

Have you ever read Derrida? He was my idol in my early 20s (one of the very few people with a background a bit like mine) but blimey is his writing impenetrable.

Mikeside

Yeah it's not a bad idea! tbh I don't even know what a street team does. Do you just accost cool looking kids and say TRY THIS!! ? Evangelistic fans such as yourself are the lifeblood of any band, much appreciated. You should totally remind us about your secret present when you see us play next too, I think Johnny has it in the box.

Basically that, giving out shit, doing the merch for you, hassling people to listen, signups for a mailing list etc

Looking forward to secret present! I'll hassle you on the 18th

It might still be the case but at my last year in university somehow everyone simultaneously discovered memes and started making ones relevant to the university. This spread and I'd see it all over people's facebook feed at different unis in places like Plymouth, Canterbury, etc. So naturally all my friends picked up on it too.

There was this kind of awkward situation where I'd find people talking about and sharing their own edits of Courage Wolf and Bachelor Frog and all these other image macros from 2007/2008 that they had never seen and I was already familiar with from stumbling across 4chan in my mid teens.

In general though, I've found "webspeak" or whatever you want to call it creeping into my pattern of speech. I've had to resist the temptation to say "lol" numerous times and I've occasionally described something to a friend as "pretty based" and seen him trying to figure out what the hell I'm talking about.

It would be funny/nightmarish if in the future audiences at a standup comedy show loudly and briefly said "LOL" after a joke instead of actually laughing. Maybe that's where we're heading.

SKINNER!

Banned
There was a high school kid at our baseball club that couldn't stop referencing internet memes and jokes and nobody had any clue what he was on about. Even went as far as describing gifs in detail to put his point across. People thought he was just bizarre. Only attended like 4 training sessions anyway. Said he wanted to be a video game designer and constantly plays on Steam....He's probably a gaffer.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Basically that, giving out shit, doing the merch for you, hassling people to listen, signups for a mailing list etc

Looking forward to secret present! I'll hassle you on the 18th

I like all of those ideas, you're hired! I've been working on the Press Pack this week, got a fun and original design for it. Gotta get some of those column inches before we're too old to cover any more.

I will make sure Johnny beings the secret present with him :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Have you ever read Derrida? He was my idol in my early 20s (one of the very few people with a background a bit like mine) but blimey is his writing impenetrable.

Yeah. I think I read Grammatology at Uni. It went right over my head. I used to think that if I couldn't understand something I was reading all I needed to do was figuratively batter my head against it until it made sense. Didn't work. I got Roland Barthes though, he's a relatively nice and easy read.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
"lol" has entered my vocabulary, mostly as a sardonic acknowledgement of something that was funny but not funny enough to actually laugh at, and also to denote cruel laughter. "I've got cancer" "lol"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He's probably a gaffer.

I want you to picture this scene. A man in a white suit, red shirt and hat is sitting at a desk. As he stands up the camera zooms out. Keeping his focus on the viewer at all times he slowly spreads his arms slowly as the screen fades to red. This is exactly what this situation reminds me of.

I want you to picture this scene. A man in a white suit, red shirt and hat is sitting at a desk. As he stands up the camera zooms out. Keeping his focus on the viewer at all times he slowly spreads his arms slowly as the screen fades to red. This is exactly what this situation reminds me of.

I'm sorry BGBW my mind can't picture things that slow.

Picture that gif where Captain America tilts his head and says "I understood that reference."

Well, I am feeling the OPPOSITE of that gif right now if you get the reference.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm sorry BGBW my mind can't picture things that slow.

Picture that gif where Captain America tilts his head and says "I understood that reference."

Well, I am feeling the OPPOSITE of that gif right now if you get the reference.

lol / rofl / lmao / lmfao / dead

One meme I do hate is "/thread ". I also hate " [x] thread? [x] thread. "

SKINNER!

Banned

QUZZzBm.gif

I wonder if Johnny has a present for me in his box

you forgot Conan

Would not smang

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I wonder if Johnny has a present for me in his box

Would not smang

If you mean a sticker then sure :p

Dang Soturi, weather really has got ya flustered eh?

I just listened to a podcast with a lady with a very nice voice talkin bout wankin. Home time is sooooo loooooooong awayyyyyyyyyy... (pod is This Week in Jackin and is amazing beeteedubs)

If you mean a sticker then sure :p

Dang Soturi, weather really has got ya flustered eh?

I just listened to a podcast with a lady with a very nice voice talkin bout wankin. Home time is sooooo loooooooong awayyyyyyyyyy... (pod is This Week in Jackin and is amazing beeteedubs)

I know, I can't work out if it's a good thing or a bad thing

Hystzen

Interview went well got to advance to stage 2 which happening tomorrow. Like being in The Apprentice this shit so far had 3 meetings so far. Also kind amusing how underdressed I was did not expect walk into a office where people rolling in Hugo Boss suits and I just smart casual. The boss didn't mind though so suppose that all matters

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Interview went well got to advance to stage 2 which happening tomorrow. Like being in The Apprentice this shit so far had 3 meetings so far. Also kind amusing how underdressed I was did not expect walk into a office where people rolling in Hugo Boss suits and I just smart casual. The boss didn't mind though so suppose that all matters

Good luck!

(I have a Hugo Boss suit which I wear for interviews and scary meetings)

Depends how the tap of relief floweth. I think I've been annoying mrs H this past few weeks but I'm flustered and she's fit, I'm getting nothing done.

Easily the worst thing about being bored at work.

This is so true. I have had some umm good times umm since the start of the summer.

Hystzen

On topic on the frisky ness from heat I do get where people not seen the not GF for 2 weeks and man get what people mean

Wonder when people refer to an animal being "in heat" they refer to this

i doubt it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom