• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Poet

Banned
You...
May have missed the point.

Although I'm guessing, from my extremely limited interactions with you, that the heavier and/or aggressive end of rock and/or roll isn't your preferred musical choice.

It was a joke, I cant listen to them right now, at work.

But yes its not entirely my scene. There are some tracks/bands I can listen to though. Wouldn't automatically dislike anything based on genre.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It was a joke, I cant listen to them right now, at work.

But yes its not entirely my scene. There are some tracks/bands I can listen to though. Wouldn't automatically dislike anything based on genre.

Sorry, I didn't mean to judge/offend! I was joining in with the joke hence the similar structure! It should of sounded more "pub banter" than "rock snob", but posts are difficult to add tone or inflection to. Sorry!

Imma crawl under my rock.

The_Poet

Banned
Sorry, I didn't mean to judge/offend! I was joining in with the joke hence the similar structure! It should of sounded more "pub banter" than "rock snob", but posts are difficult to add tone or inflection to. Sorry!

Haha, don't worry bud! No offence taken, I was worried you might have taken me the wrong way in the first place!

While we're on the topic of mid-00s post-hardcoreish stuff, what are some other good bands? I've got Hundred Reasons, Hell Is For Heroes, Reuben, Million Dead and ATDI covered but have difficulty finding anything other than those

EDIT: Just as an extra point, the more riffage the better. Fucking love me some good riffage.

Lirlond

Theres a real good fad in mashup culture right now thats all about mixing Juicy with a slow acoustic track and I gotta say it always sounds amazing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
While we're on the topic of mid-00s post-hardcoreish stuff, what are some other good bands? I've got Hundred Reasons, Hell Is For Heroes, Reuben, Million Dead and ATDI covered but have difficulty finding anything other than those

EDIT: Just as an extra point, the more riffage the better. Fucking love me some good riffage.

Not sure on genre but what about that Dismemberment Plan record? Think it's called Electricity and I or some such.

Also the Archers of Loaf album White Trash Heroes might be up your street . There's a song on it called Fashion Bleeds that I used to listen to on repeat.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Jawbox, Far, Drive Like Jehu, Botch, Fugazi, Slint, Rodan, And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, Oxes, Big Black (more 80s), Jesus Lizard, Q & Not U, Scratch Acid, Six Finger Satellite, Shellac, Unwound, The 90 Day Men, Rapeman (more late 80s), June of 44, Oxbow, Polvo, Don Caballero... that's all I can think of at the moment.

Not sure on genre but what about that Dismemberment Plan record? Think it's called Electricity and I or some such.

Also the Archers of Loaf album White Trash Heroes might be up your street . There's a song on it called Fashion Bleeds that I used to listen to on repeat.

Awww, Archers of Loaf. I have a couple of tracks of theirs. I've always meant to dig deeper with them.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Jawbox, Far, Drive Like Jehu, Botch, Fugazi, Slint, Rodan, And You Will Know US By The Trail of Dead, Oxes, Big Black (more 80s), Jesus Lizard, Q & Not U, Scratch Acid, Six Finger Satellite, Shellac, Unwound, The 90 Day Men, Rapeman (more late 80s), June of 44, Oxbow, Don Caballero... that's all I can think of at the moment.

And second trail of dead for sure. One of the best gigs I've ever been to and I got to hug a sweaty bandmember.

As long as you're not crawling in your skin it's fine.

I've been listening to weird little electro artists all day and now that I'm fully interfaced with the beeps and boops I feel I cannot fully appreciate the feral twanging of bits of wood with strings attached.

Sorry guys didn't mean to transcend.

The_Poet

Banned
As long as you're not crawling in your skin it's fine.

I've been listening to weird little electro artists all day and now that I'm fully interfaced with the beeps and boops I feel I cannot fully appreciate the feral twanging of bits of wood with strings attached.

Sorry guys didn't mean to transcend.

The humans do not understand the beauty of a well timed and well executed beep

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
And second trail of dead for sure. One of the best gigs I've ever been to and I got to hug a sweaty bandmember.

Hell yes. I saw them at Reading and they obliterated the place in every sense.

My biggest musical claim to fame is that my wife hugged Steve Albini after a Shellac gig.

The_Poet

Banned
I would say Alpha but people might think we're talking about that half-baked Espionage game by Obsidian

1366840959720.png

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is it bad that I've heard of none of these bands/songs?

Depends, how old are you and what sort of music are you into? This is English post hardcore bands from 10 years ago, even at the time not many people knew who they were!

Ah right. Doesn't sound like I'd get on with them. Were they on TGI Friday once?

Look up Soapbox Rally at least, it's like New Noise but English and two minutes long.

I just listened to the record on my homeward commute, was a lovely trip down memry lane. Hometown heroes represent!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I would probably consider that lot the canon of my early 20s. I would also add Refused, Get Up Kids, Rival Schools and Far/onelinedrawing/New End Original to get the full "Jedeye Sniv is 22 years old" effect.

And I now love Sploats 17% more cos she's a Trail of Dead fangirl. Fuck yeah!

Edit: Cave In and Jimmy Eat World too.

Vex Red and Caretaker to complete the Aldershot set as well. Except Vex Red didn't age well, and nobody heard of Caretaker (PFG/Shellac fans may enjoy it though).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I would probably consider that lot the canon of my early 20s. I would also add Refused, Get Up Kids, Rival Schools and Far/onelinedrawing/New End Original to get the full "Jedeye Sniv is 22 years old" effect.

Vex Red and Caretaker to complete the Aldershot set as well. Except Vex Red didn't age well, and nobody heard of Caretaker (PFG/Shellac fans may enjoy it though).

La la la prince can't hear you la la la la

Aw shucks. I'm fickle though. I probably forgot about the gig the next day and started listening to I dunno Hear'Say or something

Mikeside

oh man I used to love Vex Red.
I had the Caretaker EP but I think I listened to it twice. Think I'd like it a lot more now than I did back then.

I think This is Menace is worth a listen to too - a lot of members of those kinds of bands collaborating on a pretty decent (if wildly inconsistent) record.

Look up Soapbox Rally at least, it's like New Noise but English and two minutes long.

I just listened to the record on my homeward commute, was a lovely trip down memry lane. Hometown heroes represent!

Amusingly, I'm 22 and I listened to Soapbox Rally on the way in to work. This is like some sort of weird film timelapse thing.

In response to your suggestions: outside of Cave In, Vex Red and Caretaker I'm already into all those bands. Cave In sound exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though. I see what you mean about Vex Red not ageing well, but they're not awful. I'll check out Caretaker next. Thanks dood!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I feel like I'm just that little bit too old for these bands. Peak time for my interest in guitar bands was 1991 - 2000. After that I discovered Bitches Brew and decided that impenetrable jazz fusion was the music of transcendence. I've tried to go back to guitar bands but my mind is almost wedged shut to "rock bands" now. There are exceptions though. I think the chances increase by a lot if the band's roots are in stoner rock. That's my theory, anyway.

But I remember this wave of bands like Vex Red and Hundred Reasons just slamming up against my firmly shut mind door.

Mikeside

Amusingly, I'm 22 and I listened to Soapbox Rally on the way in to work. This is like some sort of weird film timelapse thing.

In response to your suggestions: outside of Cave In, Vex Red and Caretaker I'm already into all those bands. Cave In sound exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for though. I see what you mean about Vex Red not ageing well, but they're not awful. I'll check out Caretaker next. Thanks dood!

There's a great band in London called Caves who you should check out, they're a lot of fun. Balsy and incredibly good live too.

Confusingly, I saw them support Laura Stevenson.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You're 22? Brb, just recontextualising everything I thought I knew about you.

I can think of a few more things that you might dig - Deep Elm did a comp back in the early 00s called Emo is Awesome / Emo is Awful that might be up your alley.

There was a band called Groop Dogdrill who did a record called Every Six Seconds that was really incredible, big rock and roll inspired riffs all over the placid you can't get hold of these PM me and I'll hook you up.

Cave In are wonderful, Jupiter is their best record IMO (big riff on my mix was from that).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

NO PROBLEM GLAD I COULD HELP

razum frasum damn youth of today razum frasum don't know they were born razum frasum with yer skinny jeans and yer razum frasum

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
NO PROBLEM GLAD I COULD HELP

razum frasum damn youth of today razum frasum don't know they were born razum frasum with yer skinny jeans and yer razum frasum

Hahahahahahaha! Yeah Robot what about my recommendation! Stick it up your upskill!

You know your last paragraph describes almost exactly my internal monologue today, minus everything but razum frazum. Srsly I feel if I tipped my head to one side, liquid brain would just pour out.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahahahahaha! Yeah Robot what about my recommendation! Stick it up your upskill!

You know your last paragraph describes almost exactly my internal monologue today, minus everything but razum frazum. Srsly I feel if I tipped my head to one side, liquid brain would just pour out.

Yowzer. What's up with your brain?

I'm grumbling like that most days to be fair.

I think you went too deep brah. It scared ME even! So dense. I'm gonna work though the list shortly though.

I... I was just trying to help. I'M A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

/fakemelodrama

Also: LISTEN TO SPLOAT SHE HAS GOOD TASTE OUTSIDE OF PRINCE WHICH APPEARS TO BE HER FATAL CHARACTER FLAW BUT THATS OKAY ARCHERS OF LOAF ARE AN INTERESTING BAND

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yowzer. What's up with your brain?

I'm grumbling like that most days to be fair.

I... I was just trying to help. I'M A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

/fakemelodrama

Also: LISTEN TO SPLOAT SHE HAS GOOD TASTE OUTSIDE OF PRINCE WHICH APPEARS TO BE HER FATAL CHARACTER FLAW BUT THATS OKAY ARCHERS OF LOAF ARE AN INTERESTING BAND

Thanks! Woken up by E in tears from the pain. Had to help her get dressed and she had to wear winter boots because her feet has swollen so much, which meant more tears and basically mini breakdown at 6am. It's fair to say I really didn't give two hoots about work today and have spent the whole day desperately trying to find distraction and failing which means now I'm just about on the cusp of another self hate cycle. Sigh.

But.

I did buy some PRINCE records and some more D&Q comics. And some sushi. And tomorrow is Friday, so not long until weekend. Which will prob be another weekend in :'( but at least with new distractions. And maybe another BBQ.

real adult life is basically utter shite sometimes.

/Overshare ends.

There's a great band in London called Caves who you should check out, they're a lot of fun. Balsy and incredibly good live too.

Confusingly, I saw them support Laura Stevenson.
Haha, yeah I know Caves. Pretty great, though I can't quite get past Lou's voice. Also Minty's hair has gone scary. And I believe you mean Bristol :p

And it's not that weird that they were supporting Laura, I mean she was in Bomb the Music Industry and married Mike Campbell from Latterman (best fucking band ever by the way). She's pretty big in the punk scene yo.

You're 22? Brb, just recontextualising everything I thought I knew about you.

I can think of a few more things that you might dig - Deep Elm did a comp back in the early 00s called Emo is Awesome / Emo is Awful that might be up your alley.

There was a band called Groop Dogdrill who did a record called Every Six Seconds that was really incredible, big rock and roll inspired riffs all over the placid you can't get hold of these PM me and I'll hook you up.

Cave In are wonderful, Jupiter is their best record IMO (big riff on my mix was from that).

Ha, How old did you think I was?

I've heard a few of the Deep Elm Emo Diaries compilations which are pretty great, not heard that one though. One of them does have early Above Them though, who were fucking great. Their newest album's alright, but I much prefer pretty much everything they did before. But Inside I'm Dancing was a great EP.

Listening to Groop Dogdrill on Youtube. I am into this.

EDIT: FOR THE REST OF YOU. I WILL LISTEN TO THEM SOON.

Mikeside

Haha, yeah I know Caves. Pretty great, though I can't quite get past Lou's voice. Also Minty's hair has gone scary. And I believe you mean Bristol :p

And it's not that weird that they were supporting Laura, I mean she was in Bomb the Music Industry and married Mike Campbell from Latterman (best fucking band ever by the way). She's pretty big in the punk scene yo.

Ahh fair enough - every time I've seen them they've been in London!

Yeah, she's in the punk scene, BTMI and everything, but her solo show is her singing sadly with a guitar. To have Caves play just before her was baffling as fuck.

Not that I didn't love every second of it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He's doing it in purpose now ;P

Wait, are you pro-Prince or anti-Prince?

I could never get into his stuff

I view him like I view Queen. Respect the talent and the songwriting but I never want to listen to it. Ever.

Thanks! Woken up by E in tears from the pain. Had to help her get dressed and she had to wear winter boots because her feet has swollen so much, which meant more tears and basically mini breakdown at 6am. It's fair to say I really didn't give two hoots about work today and have spent the whole day desperately trying to find distraction and failing which means now I'm just about on the cusp of another self hate cycle. Sigh.

But.

I did buy some PRINCE records and some more D&Q comics. And some sushi. And tomorrow is Friday, so not long until weekend. Which will prob be another weekend in :'( but at least with new distractions. And maybe another BBQ.

real adult life is basically utter shite sometimes.

/Overshare ends.

Oh, man. That is not a good way to start the day by any measure. Sorry to hear that, Sploat. Give E my love (not like that really helps).

Explain D&Q NOAW

Hystzen

Defeated that succubus and got the job so now a suit working in Manchester
we both got it so now to try and get the girl next

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
He's doing it in purpose now ;P

I view him like I view Queen. Respect the talent and the songwriting but I never want to listen to it. Ever.

Oh, man. That is not a good way to start the day by any measure. Sorry to hear that, Sploat. Give E my love (not like that really helps).

Explain D&Q NOAW

Is ok. Will pass on. These things happen, hopefully due an 'up' after these 'downs' but dang if I ain't questioning whether it's really bloody worth it.

8bit has it! Amazing amazing comic books. It's just magic finding a publisher that has your exact sensibility.

Prob http://www.drawnandquarterly.com/

Best wishes to E, sploatee! Did you get the Resogun Heroes thingy?

Thanks, will pass on (she's tramadol ed out at the mo).

Nope, well not yet. Pixel Junk Shooter is my go to arcadey game at the moment. Which was partially a result of your recommendation! It's not perfect but it is fun to zone out to. And cross save is nice too.

8bit

Knows the Score
Is ok. Will pass on. These things happen, hopefully due an 'up' after these 'downs' but dang if I ain't questioning whether it's really bloody worth it.

8bit has it! Amazing amazing comic books. It's just magic finding a publisher that has your exact sensibility.

Thanks, will pass on (she's tramadol ed out at the mo).

Nope, well not yet. Pixel Junk Shooter is my go to arcadey game at the moment. Which was partially a result of your recommendation! It's not perfect but it is fun to zone out to. And cross save is nice too.

I had to stop with that for a bit as the hot/cold stuff was causing me some confusion. Need to go back though, I'm such a gadfly gamer. Didn't realise crosssave worked on it.

Anyway, comicswise I got New Lone Wolf & Cub 1 today in the post. I've been looking forward to this for years. Read the original drip feed first in 87 or so, then in full 13 years later and now there's a sequel (ignoring the Lone Wolf 2100 stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom