• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
btw jackben Jeremiah sux
FYtRwCD.gif

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on your definition of good I reckon.

Borderlands 2 is as much fun as stabbing your ears with a pencil

You no likey? Whyzat?

Played 1 a bunch but could never get into 2. dunno why, also found the game as painfully unfunny as ever. like the gaming equivalent of watching a big bang theory marathon.

Borderlands 2 has actual jokes though. Y'know, rather than a series of references with a laughter track.

Tiny Tina, Claptrap and Handsome Jack were hilarious. I don't care what anyone says.

I loved the music too.

Not reached TT yet but Claptrap is great.

Reknoc

Borderlands 2 has actual jokes though. Y'know, rather than a series of references with a laughter track.

I find describing them as jokes a bit generous. Though an early quest with claptrap did make me smile a little, just a shame it involved claptrap.

I think my main problem with BL2 is that it feels needlessly big and even with a vehicle a chore to travel through. For a loot game the pace just feels too slow.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I find describing them as jokes a bit generous. Though an early quest with claptrap did make me smile a little, just a shame it involved claptrap.

On the whole they follow the Set-Up/Punchline formula, so I think it's fair to say they are jokes. Whether they are good or bad jokes is down to you, of course.

I find the whole thing rather charming, although I could do with about 90% less jokes hinging on the word "poop".

I think my main problem with BL2 is that it feels needlessly big and even with a vehicle a chore to travel through. For a loot game the pace just feels too slow.

Ah. You see, I quite like the gameplay flow. Frantic shooting coupled with methodical scavenging works fine for me. Then again, the only "loot" game I've played is the Destiny Beta, which was (in retrospect) a bit shallow and po-faced for my liking.

NinjaBoiX

I was maybe overselling BL2 slightly with "hilarious", but it's certainly funny. Some of Handsome Jack's lines toward the end got a really good belly laugh out of me. I'd suggest you just really wanted to dislike it or are maybe just incredibly hard to please if you didn't chuckle at least a couple of times.

But to be honest I think it's more the voices, especially characters like Tiny Tina. Her lines aren't especially funny if you just read them from a page, but her delivery really sells it with her slightly manic inflection hip-hop tinged vocabulary.

Her lolloping gait, psychotic tendencies and boastful swagger only add to her charm. Loved her design too:

tbvYXov.jpg

She's one of my favourite characters from last gen.

jimbor

Banned
I was maybe overselling BL2 slightly with "hilarious", but it's certainly funny. Some of Handsome Jack's lines toward the end got a really good belly laugh out of me. I'd suggest you just really wanted to dislike it or are maybe just incredibly hard to please if you didn't chuckle at least a couple of times.

But to be honest I think it's more the voices, especially characters like Tiny Tina. Her lines aren't especially funny if you just read them from a page, but her delivery really sells it with her slightly manic inflection hip-hop tinged vocabulary.

Her lolloping gait, psychotic tendencies and boastful swagger only add to her charm. Loved her design too:

tbvYXov.jpg

I think Cyanide Strike has stolen Ninj's log in deets

Reknoc

On the whole they follow the Set-Up/Punchline formula, so I think it's fair to say they are jokes. Whether they are good or bad jokes is down to you, of course.

I find the whole thing rather charming, although I could do with about 90% less jokes hinging on the word "poop".

Ah. You see, I quite like the gameplay flow. Frantic shooting coupled with methodical scavenging works fine for me. Then again, the only "loot" game I've played is the Destiny Beta, which was (in retrospect) a bit shallow and po-faced for my liking.

Yea I'm not sure I'd consider the gameplay all that frantic especially the gunplay. I'll be interested to know if you still feel the same around 20 hours in (if you're not already)

Edit: actually to be fair I think I may just have had enough of borderlands after the first game which is why the second game has soured me.

Edit2: I think I would have liked the game better if I could have played as the first games siren again since her ability was the best.

NinjaBoiX

I think Cyanide Strike has stolen Ninj's log in deets
Hey man, I just thought the little scamp was funny and a cool character; plus she is a strong female role model for 13 year old psychopaths everywhere.

I didn't want to read her a bedtime story or get her to call me "daddy" or anything.

*shudders*

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I'm not sure I'd consider the gameplay all that frantic especially the gunplay. I'll be interested to know if you still feel the same around 20 hours in (if you're not already)

Edit: actually to be fair I think I may just have had enough of borderlands after the first game which is why the second game has soured me.

Edit2: I think I would have liked the game better if I could have played as the first games siren again since her ability was the best.

Nah, I've only just got to Santctuary! Never played Borderlands myself, just saw it on sale for a fiver. I don't really play that many FPS games.

I'm playing Zer0, focusing on melee, which seems counter-intuitive considering one of the game's big selling points is it's crazy arsenal of guns. XD

tbvYXov.jpg

She's apparently voiced by Ashly Burch of "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playing?" fame.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So potentially the last day we can make fun of Scots before they can accuse us of being racist. Therefore, you should probably mock them extra hard today to get it out of your system.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Has anyone taken their driving theory test recently? I've got mine tomorrow and the hazard perception thing is just bananas!

I feel like I'm getting marked down for being too perceptive or something. Nerves are definitely kicking in.

And, in the spirit of an independent Scotland:

The UK Government has said that Scotland could end up as a Third World country if they vote for independence.

I don't know if things will improve to that extent, but you never know.

Volotaire

Has anyone taken their driving theory test recently? I've got mine tomorrow and the hazard perception thing is just bananas!

I feel like I'm getting marked down for being too perceptive or something. Nerves are definitely kicking in.

And, in the spirit of an independent Scotland:

The UK Government has said that Scotland could end up as a Third World country if they vote for independence.

I don't know if things will improve to that extent, but you never know.

This is key in who and what is saying this. No doubt there will be a very sharp correction in the first few years. After that, it depends how much of the assets and liabilities of the UK are delegated to Scotland, their finances and currency issues.

This is key in who and what is saying this. No doubt there will be a very sharp correction in the first few years. After that, it depends how much of the assets and liabilities of the UK are delegated to Scotland, their finances and currency issues.
I suspect you may have thought this was a serious thread for a moment...

SKINNER!

Banned

Take that shit to the referendum thread. We do jokes here.

A scotsman walks into a bar. Doesn't leave

SmokyDave

So potentially the last day we can make fun of Scots before they can accuse us of being racist. Therefore, you should probably mock them extra hard today to get it out of your system.
Pretty sure they can already accuse us of being racist. Certainly Scottish travellers can.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I bet the remainders of the IRA are reet pissy about this independence vote though. If they'd just been a bit less bomby they could have got in on this democracy thing properly.

I'm looking forward to Scotland not being on the BBC weather map any more too, I find I know far too much about their weather. That Carole Kirkwood is biased yo, she always starts on Scotland "it's raining" yeah I know

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
BBC News is reporting several teams of workmen have been spotted attempting to separate Scotland from the main land with handsaws.

Pretty sure they can already accuse us of being racist. Certainly Scottish travellers can.

Are they really a different race? They're just like us (or, more accurately, you lot) but with funny accents and a skirt/entrails fetish.

Hystzen

Man TGS is actually dropping some good stuff for a change.

First Scotland next Ireland this is how the UK dies

has no opinion really on Scotland they want be a peacock and fly we got to let them

Today is already a day of impossible things, seeing as a new FFXV trailer dropped, so yeah I think Scotland might pull off a Yes vote

don't wanna jinx it, like

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Square can literally do no wrong. They still haven't released this vaporware revised game or even announced a release date, but they drop a trailer and they got players eating out of the palm of their hand.

SmokyDave

I feel bad that I absolutely couldn't give a shit about any potential dissolution of the union. I'm English, I'll always be English and it will always be England that I care about. Our neighbours are lovely people, but I don't really care if we're in a little club together or not.

I feel like I'm being short-sighted and missing a myriad of potential consequences and ramifications, but I just can't imagine how any of this is going to affect my day to day life in any perceptible way.

Are they really a different race? They're just like us (or, more accurately, you lot) but with funny accents and a skirt/entrails fetish.
You can twist the '76 race relations act all over the place.

Square can literally do no wrong. They still haven't released this vaporware revised game or even announced a release date, but they drop a trailer and they got players eating out of the palm of their hand.

And people say the FF brand has no power these days. There were people on the gaming side pre-ordering the Steam version of FFXIII. FFXIII.

Son Of D

And people say the FF brand has no power these days. There were people on the gaming side pre-ordering the Steam version of FFXIII. FFXIII.
But if the sales of FFXIII Trilogy on Steam are high then Square Enix will bring the older games that are missing as well as XV to PC!

Yeah screw that, I'll just pick up FFIII and IV some day on PC and hope that VI, IX and XII get released there.

Volotaire

I've only completed FF1 and played parts of FF2-6/ Never played past 7. I've always been looking to get back into FF, and the new one spikes my interest.

But if the sales of FFXIII Trilogy on Steam are high then Square Enix will bring the older games that are missing as well as XV to PC!

Yeah screw that, I'll just pick up FFIII and IV some day on PC and hope that VI, IX and XII get released there.

XII emulated is pretty special. I don't think all the ideas for the game are fleshed out from the 10 hours I've played to date, but I imagine they'll build on that in XV?

I've only completed FF1 and played parts of FF2-6/ Never played past 7. I've always been looking to get back into FF, and the new one spikes my interest.

I've had VIII since about the year 2000 and never finished it. One day.

Edit: just realised I haven't posted in this thread for weeks! How is everyone?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Does anyone want to buy my EGX tickets? I have one for Thursday and one for Friday. I'm not feeling too well so not going to be able to go. :(

NinjaBoiX

Does anyone want to buy my EGX tickets? I have one for Thursday and one for Friday. I'm not feeling too well so not going to be able to go. :(
Aww mate, that sucks for you, I know you were really looking forward to it. We'll catch up soon bro, a friend in need's a friend indeed (a friend with weed is better).

Super busy with work this week and I'm back in Sunderland next weekend, but I'll give you a shout first week of October, we'll go for tea and cakes or summink.

:p

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ta folks. Yup, brain packed in again. Sigh. At home playing Destiny pretty much 24hours in order to stop thinking.

Ninj, sounds good. Hopefully be up and about again. At mo I'm basically signed off and a recluse.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Isn't the Steam version of IV the dogshit DS version (pc-ified)?

I would kill for IX on Steam (and yes, I know about emulation). I don't know why that game gets such a bad reputation; it is adorable. Just a bit slow.

Milchjon

Oy Britgaf, help me out:

I will be spending 10 days in the UK soon. In autumn (d'oh). Mostly in Newcastle (d'oh x2)

Anyhow, I'll arrive in Edinburgh and then make my way down.

1) What's the most scenic way to travel from Edinburgh to Newcastle? Take the train? Is there a coastal line?

2) What do I absolutely have to check out in Edinburgh? I'm a boring tourist, I like nice views, pretty cities, walking around and good beer.

3) How would I best spend a week in the Newcastle area? Any worthwhile day trips? Any must sees in Newcastle?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom