• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

The Northeners will be up around midday to answer your questions Milchjon. They're sleeping off a hard night of being Northern at the moment.

I'm listening to Boy in Da Corner and realising it's still a great album so I'm no use to you.

NinjaBoiX

Oy Britgaf, help me out:

I will be spending 10 days in the UK soon. In autumn (d'oh). Mostly in Newcastle (d'oh x2)

Anyhow, I'll arrive in Edinburgh and then make my way down.

1) What's the most scenic way to travel from Edinburgh to Newcastle? Take the train? Is there a coastal line?

2) What do I absolutely have to check out in Edinburgh? I'm a boring tourist, I like nice views, pretty cities, walking around and good beer.

3) How would I best spend a week in the Newcastle area? Any worthwhile day trips? Any must sees in Newcastle?

Thanks in advance!
Depends what you like, but the quayside is quite pretty if you fancy a walk, the Hancock Museum is worth a look, or the Laing Art Gallery if that kind of thing floats your boat. I dunno man, there is all kinds to do but it's hard to narrow it down without context.

Night out wise: The Head of Steam, Trillians, Pitcher and Piano, Revolution, Victoria 22, Bijoux and The Mushroom are all pretty good. The Mushroom has the longest bar I've ever seen!
The Northeners will be up around midday to answer your questions Milchjon. They're sleeping off a hard night of being Northern at the moment.

I'm listening to Boy in Da Corner and realising it's still a great album so I'm no use to you.
Toddla T was DJing at Mint Lounge last night, it was Ballin' so hip-hop, jungle and drum and bass. He was well good, and played this that I haven't heard in ages:

UNKLE - Guns Blazing (Drums of Death Part 1)

Holy fuckballs, I nearly did a backflip when I heard those drums booming out of the sound system. Such a fucking tune!
except you're probably more Northern as per the stereotype than any of us

yes even Ninj
BXmPcV4.jpg

SmokyDave

Toddla T was DJing at Mint Lounge last night, it was Ballin' so hip-hop, jungle and drum and bass. He was well good, and played this that I haven't heard in ages:

UNKLE - Guns Blazing (Drums of Death Part 1)

Holy fuckballs, I nearly did a backflip when I heard those drums booming out of the sound system. Such a fucking tune!

Dude, that's fucking weird. I fired up Psyence Fiction last night and listened to Guns Blazing, Nursery Rhyme and, best of all, Celestial Annihalation. So good.

SKINNER!

Banned
2) What do I absolutely have to check out in Edinburgh?

Head to Edinburgh Waverley Station
Take the next 30 minute train to Glasgow
Enjoy

Serious answer: it's a shame you came now as Edinburgh had the Fringe festival last month and it was pretty cool. But anyway, might as well check out Edinburgh Castle, Scott's Monument, Arther's Seat if you're into hiking/hillwalking. Princes Street if you're into shopping. Royal Mile for the interesting cobbled roads and tourist trap stores. St Andrews square for old architecture and monuments. Lothian Road has the Cameo Cinema. Great, lovely indie cinema that is not far from where Sean Connery was born and Tarantino was there when Pulp Fiction was released. Lothian Road also has some nice bars and restaurants. So does George Street but it's probably a bit pricey considering it's close proximity to Princes Street.

Just go to Glasgow..

NinjaBoiX

Dude, that's fucking weird. I fired up Psyence Fiction last night and listened to Guns Blazing, Nursery Rhyme and, best of all, Celestial Annihalation. So good.
Haha, small world! I hadn't heard it for a while, and it was just such a weird tune to hear in a club, I just wasn't expecting it. The vocal delivery on Guns Blazing is ridiculous, he enunciates with such anger and conviction:

"Lost at the crossroads and intersection,
Should've wore a vest for chest protection,
Slug fill you to capacity, someone at the dance,
Someone with the hand velocity of Butch Cassidy,
Bitch niggas with the audacity to blaspheme,
Got yourself caught up in a motherfuckin' tragedy,"

And the production on that part at 3:36 (we keep it wild, you know we wild) roasts my chestnuts.

Kind of an obvious choice maybe but Bloodstain is my favourite track on the album. I remember hearing it for the first time on my bro's Walkman in the car going to France, I just thought it was the most gorgeous tune I'd ever heard. Screw it, might as well link:

UNKLE - Bloodstain

That scratch on the vocal at 5:07 is flawless. Just utterly flawless.

Based Shadow.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My band got stung with a £250 Low Emission Zone charge for going to london, wtfffffff. That's fucking robbery when we never even knew what that was to begin with. Utter cunts.

Milchjon

Head to Edinburgh Waverley Station
Take the next 30 minute train to Glasgow
Enjoy

Serious answer: it's a shame you came now as Edinburgh had the Fringe festival last month and it was pretty cool. But anyway, might as well check out Edinburgh Castle, Scott's Monument, Arther's Seat if you're into hiking/hillwalking. Princes Street if you're into shopping. Royal Mile for the interesting cobbled roads and tourist trap stores. St Andrews square for old architecture and monuments. Lothian Road has the Cameo Cinema. Great, lovely indie cinema that is not far from where Sean Connery was born and Tarantino was there when Pulp Fiction was released. Lothian Road also has some nice bars and restaurants. So does George Street but it's probably a bit pricey considering it's close proximity to Princes Street.

Just go to Glasgow..

Depends what you like, but the quayside is quite pretty if you fancy a walk, the Hancock Museum is worth a look, or the Laing Art Gallery if that kind of thing floats your boat. I dunno man, there is all kinds to do but it's hard to narrow it down without context.

Night out wise: The Head of Steam, Trillians, Pitcher and Piano, Revolution, Victoria 22, Bijoux and The Mushroom are all pretty good. The Mushroom has the longest bar I've ever seen!

Thanks guys.

Might check out Glasgow too. Think I have the time, who knows if I have the money...

My band got stung with a £250 Low Emission Zone charge for going to london, wtfffffff. That's fucking robbery when we never even knew what that was to begin with. Utter cunts.

Didn't want to say on Facebook cos I know Johnny can get a bit touchy but there are lots of signs letting you know well before you enter the low emission zone

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Didn't want to say on Facebook cos I know Johnny can get a bit touchy but there are lots of signs letting you know well before you enter the low emission zone

This is true, but how are you supposed to even know what they mean? "This is a low emission zone", ok what does that mean? "Too late, you're in it now, £250 please"

Is really fucked up considering all the people who go to london once in a blue moon and would have no real reason to even know it was a thing until it's too late.

£250 (or £500 and then £1000) is an insane amount of money for such a minor infraction as well.

Eh, probably can't come to the meet next week now because of this, that's my spending money for October gone before I even got paid :(

This is true, but how are you supposed to even know what they mean? "This is a low emission zone", ok what does that mean? "Too late, you're in it now, £250 please"

Is really fucked up considering all the people who go to london once in a blue moon and would have no real reason to even know it was a thing until it's too late.

£250 (or £500 and then £1000) is an insane amount of money for such a minor infraction as well.

Eh, probably can't come to the meet next week now because of this, that's my spending money for October gone before I even got paid :(

Most people probably don't go to London in a van though. If you don't know what it is you should check first as soon as you see the sign.

Don't get me wrong it's really shitty and I feel bad for you, and if it means you can't come to the meet well then that blows. But you can't use the didn't know what it was as an excuse, because you could have easily looked it up to check but chose not to.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Most people probably don't go to London in a van though. If you don't know what it is you should check first as soon as you see the sign.

Don't get me wrong it's really shitty and I feel bad for you, and if it means you can't come to the meet well then that blows. But you can't use the didn't know what it was as an excuse, because you could have easily looked it up to check but chose not to.

As I say, by the time you see signs it's too late anyway, you're in it. It's not so much that we chose to ignore signs but more that we didn't know it was a thing in the first place. Is it really incumbent on people to google every unfamiliar sign they see? Do I need to google "retarded traffic laws" for every town I go to, or just london? How would I know to look this up ahead of time if we didn't even know it was a thing?

Even the advice as to what vehicles are charged is unclear (having checked this morning) since our van sits somewhere weird on the scale. tbh, if I had even known about it ahead of time I wouldn't have thought we were liable, not a lorry or classic white van/minivan. Apparently it's a Vannette.

But yeah, my bum stings and I'm a bit fucking bitter after this. And this is just one charge, chances are we might get another one since we were there two days. Because that's fair, obviously.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'll be honest, I've seen those low emission signs but have never bothered to look into them.

I do agree that the places I've seen them don't exactly give you much option but to enter them.

Every road entering London has them on way before the zone, and you will always have the option to turn off before you enter it.

It's not a way to make money or a pointless scheme, it's to reduce pollution in London by not allowing old, filth spewing larger vehicles in. I think it's a good thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I stand corrected, though I'm not exactly the best person to talk about road matters seeing as a I don't drive so a lot of the time I'm not even paying attention to road signs.

SmokyDave

Every road entering London has them on way before the zone, and you will always have the option to turn off before you enter it.

It's not a way to make money or a pointless scheme, it's to reduce pollution in London by not allowing old, filth spewing larger vehicles in. I think it's a good thing.
I think it's a good thing because it means that classic and vintage car rallies can now start and end somewhere that isn't London.

I do feel bad for owners of classic cars that have to live down there though.

NinjaBoiX

Wow, really?

I agree that it has positive side effects, but let's be honest, financial gain is the primary concern. They're just playing off the fact that they can put a nice little green bow on yet another tax.

I think it's a good thing because it means that classic and vintage car rallies can now start and end somewhere that isn't London.

I do feel bad for owners of classic cars that have to live down there though.

I'm pretty sure cars are still excluded at the mo

Wow, really?

I agree that it has positive side effects, but let's be honest, financial gain is the primary concern. They're just playing off the fact that they can put a nice little green bow on yet another tax.

Financial gain was not the primary reason for introducing the low emission zone. If it was there would be far easier ways to make more money from road users entering London. It was introduced to encourage the most heavily polluting larger vehicles to become greener.

People bang on about climate change and how the government aren't doing enough to combat it, but when they do do something people moan because it has an adverse affect on them! Can't win.

Just seems like another excuse for people to slag off London to me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

If it wasn't about money then the fees wouldn't be on a sliding scale from £250-1000. Charge us a £100 and we'll say "lesson learned", charge £250 and we're a bit shocked. We're lucky there's three of us to split the costs, I don't know how most people can find a spare £250 in a given month, it's literal highway robbery.

This isn't even slagging london off either, it's bewilderment at an overzealous punishment.

NinjaBoiX

Financial gain was not the primary reason for introducing the low emission zone. If it was there would be far easier ways to make more money from road users entering London. It was introduced to encourage the most heavily polluting larger vehicles to become greener.

People bang on about climate change and how the government aren't doing enough to combat it, but when they do do something people moan because it has an adverse affect on them! Can't win.

Just seems like another excuse for people to slag off London to me.
I'm agreeing with you that it's a good thing for the environment but anyone saying that making money isn't the main reason for taxation is deluded.

If it wasn't about money then the fees wouldn't be on a sliding scale from £250-1000. Charge us a £100 and we'll say "lesson learned", charge £250 and we're a bit shocked. We're lucky there's three of us to split the costs, I don't know how most people can find a spare £250 in a given month, it's literal highway robbery.

This isn't even slagging london off either, it's bewilderment at an overzealous punishment.

I know you weren't slagging off London dude. I agree the fines are hefty but they are primarily aimed at companies, a smaller amount to them would be loose change, and probably cheaper to pay than getting their vehicles up to code.

It's the ULEZ bollocks that's threatening classics. No more London to Brighton if that takes hold :(

Ah, I knew they were talking of adding cars at some point but thought it would be a long way off. Both my cars would be affected by this. Not that I drive into central often, we mostly just go around.

It's not fine, it's shit!

ba dum tish

Lolz. I do hope Johnny successfully appeals it, if you should get a warning for your first offence you might be ok.

NinjaBoiX

Are you disputing the meaning of 'tax' or 'fine', or are you saying they're the same thing?
Neither, I'm suggesting that in the context of the current discussion, whether or not their primary reason to exist is to raise money, the distinction between the two is a semantic argument.

Neither, I'm suggesting that in the context of the current discussion, whether or not their primary reason to exist is to raise money, the distinction between the two is a semantic argument.

Can't see how it is when there is no dispute of their meaning and their meanings are quite clear and not the same thing

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You can tell Ninj is getting ready for an internet fight because he used both the words "context" AND "semantics", that's the online equivalent of taking your coat off and throwing it on the floor

RiggyRob

Wow someone is on the warpath this afternoon. This and no independence for Scotland...

I forgot that happened - 8bit, post if you're okay.

Welcome Week's over, and I'm feeling both excited and nervous about this year. Feels like being a fresher all over again.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I wanted a Scotland yes just because it would have greatly upset the powers-that-be. The BBC especially would have been fucking gutted to lose all that money.

"But devolution, and special powers/concessions!"

Yea, that was definitely part of the dialogue prior to the vote. The reality is that Cameron will just smile and wave, pat a few Scottish politicians on the head and call it a day.

At least now BGBW can still make Scottish jokes without being racist.

NinjaBoiX

Can't see how it is when there is no dispute of their meaning and their meanings are quite clear and not the same thing
Semantics don't just relate to language though, there are logical semantics relating to implication, supposition, etc too.

I'm just saying responding to the argument:

"Taxes are mainly there to get money out of you"

With:

"It's a fine though"

Is like answering:

"You shouldn't have drunk so much vodka then you wouldn't have a hangover"

With:

"It was whiskey though"

The basic crux of the argument is the same regardless of the specifics.
You can tell Ninj is getting ready for an internet fight because he used both the words "context" AND "semantics", that's the online equivalent of taking your coat off and throwing it on the floor
Haha, I just use whatever words come into my head. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just clear and concise innit.
No lie, if you're out after midnight you will see A LOT of girls falling over.
And the occasional short, handsome bald man.

I'm just saying responding to the argument:

With:

"It's a fine though"

I think this is where wires are crossed. The argument was not

If that was the argument I would have totally agreed with you.

The argument was whether the LEZ was mainly there to get money out of you.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
CHEEZMO™;130754678 said:
I've been saying for years we should build a wall around London.
Exactly. And put a roof on it too, seal it up nice and tight, just to be safe. Definitely no sneaky emissions getting in after that.

NinjaBoiX

I think this is where wires are crossed. The argument was not

If that was the argument I would have totally agreed with you.

The argument was whether the LEZ was mainly there to get money out of you.
Well I happen to think that's the case with the LEZ too, it just so happens that they have cuddly, socially acceptable environmental concerns in which to frame it.

But you know, opinions and stuff.
CHEEZMO™;130754678 said:
I've been saying for years we should build a wall around London.

Exactly. And put a roof on it too, seal it up nice and tight, just to be safe. Definitely no sneaky emissions getting in after that.

Would be like a dutch oven of death. I like this idea.
Haha, nothing like a dose of levity to clear the air.

So to speak.

*ahem*

Well I happen to think that's the case with the LEZ too, it just so happens that they have cuddly, socially acceptable environmental concerns in which to frame it.

But you know, opinions and stuff.

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but the only way the LEZ makes any money is by people failing to comply to it.

It's like saying seat belts laws were primarily introduced to make money, the safety aspect of them was just an afterthought to make them socially acceptable.

Which seems pretty daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom