• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
V for Vendetta covers the basics of the gunpowder plot right?

I remember learning about that in year 2 of school, don't they teach that now?
Yep, teaches everyone that Guy Fawkes was the sole man in charge of the whole thing and that he was a hero of the people and his aim was to assassinate the government because they were mean.

Holy shit, Chinner mentioned me in a post! He never posts in here anymore, but he comes in with a drive by post and I'm in it! I feel totally honoured :D

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think Chinner is really overrated. All he does is come in, pick on the same people and then leave. I don't get it. Maybe I had to be around in OT1 or something.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Finally, Nintendo stopped teasing MM and decided to put out.

This year, Nintendo saved all gaming! I'm going to have to get a 3DS again at some point.

I've become the thing I hated. Wherever you are, Noffs, I hope you are happy. I have become a Nintendbot.

I've even started playing Danganronpa on my Vita. I'll be watching anime next :'(

This year, Nintendo saved all gaming! I'm going to have to get a 3DS again at some point.

I've become the thing I hated. Wherever you are, Noffs, I hope you are happy. I have become a Nintendbot.

I've even started playing Danganronpa on my Vita. I'll be watching anime next :'(

sploatee-chan please, you're supposed to BritGAF's Japonophobe-in-Chief

EDIT

But if you're abandoning you're principles in this way maybe we can talk about Persona!

lO3FYXm.gif

Reknoc

yes, good

goooooooood

don't watch anime though its crap

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm sorry, how is releasing a game that has already been released going to save gaming?

I'm referring to Nintendo throughout the year rather than just MM. The games, the attitude and the general demeanour.

Oh, and gaming probably doesn't need saving, either. It's just been lovely for me.

sploatee-chan please, you're supposed to BritGAF's Japonophobe-in-Chief

EDIT

But if you're abandoning you're principles in this way maybe we can talk about Persona!

lO3FYXm.gif

I did reinstall it but my save hadn't been uploaded to PS+. So something like 50 hours of time lost. I'm not restarting it. 😢

yes, good

goooooooood

don't watch anime though its crap

I wish I was smart enough to put in an anime reference but all I know is senpai. So I'll just say senpai!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That's too bad. Also I was really hoping your reply would display more vexation, clearly I must try harder.

Sorry!

Ok.

GGGRRR JAPAN IS A XENOPHOBIC SEXIST HOMOPHOBIC AND BACKWARDS LOOKING ISLAND AND HAS THE WORLDS WORST NEWSPAPERS INC THE DAILY MAIL AND THE SUN AND HAS KATIE HOPKINS AS A COMMENTATOR AND CARES MORE ABOUT VACUOUS CELEBRITIES THAN PEOPLE'S GODDAMN LIVES! AND HATSUNE MIKU WTF

Sorry!

Ok.

GGGRRR JAPAN IS A XENOPHOBIC SEXIST HOMOPHOBIC AND BACKWARDS LOOKING ISLAND AND HAS THE WORLDS WORST NEWSPAPERS INC THE DAILY MAIL AND THE SUN AND HAS KATIE HOPKINS AS A COMMENTATOR AND CARES MORE ABOUT VACUOUS CELEBRITIES THAN PEOPLE'S GODDAMN LIVES! AND HATSUNE MIKU WTF

ahhhh that's better

EDIT

Have at ye with Wintery Tuneths!

The Head and the Heart - Down in the Valley

I wish I had a fireplace and something I could wittle as I listen to this one

Eh, who cares? I loved the game and barely remember any of that shit. It's all about standing on top of a crane and sniping fools driving along the freeway.

As a open-world muckaround I enjoyed it immensely, but whenever I try to get through the missions, the deplorable characterisation of literally every single character wore me down. It's not a pleasant world to be in. Kudos to you for being able to put that to the back of your mind, but it just left a horrid taste in my mouth.

Also throwing grenades at traffic is way funnier.

Yeeeeeee, played it a ton last night on steam.

Its such an improvement and so much new content. I've had to force myself to not look things up about it as I don't want to ruin its surprises until I put in a good amount of hours.

I played it a ton on PS4 and Vita. At first I didn't really get it, and was actually wondering whether I was enjoying myself, but after a couple of play throughs I was hooked (and ended up staying up too late - I hate that!).

I've heard there's 500 hours worth of stuff in the game? I'm not sure I see myself playing it quite that long, but yeah I also want to discover as much stuff as I can before I resort to looking things up (which I probably will do eventually).

Ask me again after GTA V drops (again).

Can't wait to play it on t'Vita.

Looking forward to that too. I didn't play it the first time around, so it'll just be like a new game for me! I'll probably pick it up after New Years though, pretty busy between now and Christmas.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People complete the missions in GTA? Every time I see someone play it, it's just cheatcodes and destruction.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
the deplorable characterisation of literally every single character wore me down. It's not a pleasant world to be in.

Deplorable as in none of them are likeable? That's kind of the point, I think. I don't think it's necessary to like a character to be able enjoy them and their antics. Tommy Vercetti was a stone cold cunt but I enjoyed Vice City.

Michael and Trevor are fairly complex individually and have an interesting and well drawn relationship. There are definitely some missteps throughout the game (Trevor reuniting with Michael for the first time was a massive let down), but on the whole I think R* did really well.

Then again, Niko's my favourite GTA protagonist, so what do I know?

Also throwing grenades at traffic is way funnier.

This is correct.

The_Poet

Banned
I played it a ton on PS4 and Vita. At first I didn't really get it, and was actually wondering whether I was enjoying myself, but after a couple of play throughs I was hooked (and ended up staying up too late - I hate that!).

I've heard there's 500 hours worth of stuff in the game? I'm not sure I see myself playing it quite that long, but yeah I also want to discover as much stuff as I can before I resort to looking things up (which I probably will do eventually).

I got 100% on the original and steam says I played about 250 hours (bloated by keeping the game open while doing other things, so more like 100-150 hours). I can believe there's 500hrs worth of content in this one.

The creator said he was disappointed at how quickly the community "solved" the original in terms of finding all its secrets, and he wanted Rebirth to takes months/years to solve

Deplorable as in none of them are likeable? That's kind of the point, I think. I don't think it's necessary to like a character to be able enjoy them and their antics. Tommy Vercetti was a stone cold cunt but I enjoyed Vice City.

Michael and Trevor are fairly complex individually and have an interesting and well drawn relationship. There are definitely some missteps throughout the game (Trevor reuniting with Michael for the first time was a massive let down), but on the whole I think R* did really well.

Then again, Niko's my favourite GTA protagonist, so what do I know?

I know they weren't meant to be likeable - Rockstar built its empire on shitty worlds filled with shitty people, but there's something about the way GTA V's characters turned out that I feel went a step too far. I think it's the abusive nature of Trevor, to be honest. Franklin felt a little flat, and Michael's relationship with his family was just depressing. Niko was a pretty messed up guy, but he at least had family, you know? So you're left with a character that's sort of just there and two other characters who are just ridiculously oppressed and hateful in equal measures. It's just not enjoyable, even on a dramatic level.

I think it's the problem with everything being so well defined nowadays. Like you say, Tommy Vercetti is an awful person but he's also not that well characterised.

I dunno. I really liked Sleeping Dogs story. Majority of the characters there are terrible people, but the struggle was much better defined and engaging, I felt.

The problem with Rockstar's characters is that they don't fit the actual gameplay.

Joe Marston is a badass you don't mess with, doesn't suffer fools gladly; will do absolutely anything NPCs ask him to after a bit of aggressive posturing because reasons.

Trevor hates Michael, discovers his secret, hates him more, threatens to kill him numerous times, they both still work together because something or other.

Rockstar try to make strong characters but they always end up subservient to others because at the end of the day someone has to tell the player what to do for a dozen hours.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I know they weren't meant to be likeable - Rockstar built its empire on shitty worlds filled with shitty people, but there's something about the way GTA V's characters turned out that I feel went a step too far. I think it's the abusive nature of Trevor, to be honest. Franklin felt a little flat, and Michael's relationship with his family was just depressing. Niko was a pretty messed up guy, but he at least had family, you know? So you're left with a character that's sort of just there and two other characters who are just ridiculously oppressed and hateful in equal measures. It's just not enjoyable, even on a dramatic level.

I think it's the problem with everything being so well defined nowadays. Like you say, Tommy Vercetti is an awful person but he's also not that well characterised.

I dunno. I really liked Sleeping Dogs story. Majority of the characters there are terrible people, but the struggle was much better defined and engaging, I felt.

I liked 5's story, the way I saw it was R* looking at these different levels of cuntbag. So you have street level with F, M living the upper middle class nightmare and then T being an agent of chaos in their world. To me, the story was equal measures about Franklin trying to climb in a world without social mobility, and Michael having the world's most fucked up mid-life crisis. Trevor is the devil, a disruptive influence on any life he touches. I thought the comedy/sickening violence line with Trevor was very carefully trodden. As the player, you often come away feeling a bit like Wade. That scene where he kills those folks in their apartment was incredibly chilling and a wonderful piece of narrative dissonance. For a good while afterwards, I hated Trevor. I like that element of doublethink involved.

John Marston was my favourite character ever I think. Everything about him was perfect, his looks, his clothes, his voice, his attitude. I think I was a little bit in love with him.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, Franklin was devoid of any personality but the other two, particularly Trevor, had a few things going on.

Trevor is terrifyingly erratic, massively abusive to those around him, and incredibly violent. At the same time, he shows moments of genuine vulnerability: refusing to
help kill Michael
, his unerring loyalty to his friends and to Michael’s kids (more so than even their own dad), and how he is post-game with
his mother
, etc. There are other moments like that. It’s a weird balance they struck and I find it kind of interesting how they’ve off-set the cartoon levels of his psychopathy with an almost child-like naivety about certain things.

I found the push and pull between him and Michael (I ain’t got time to go into his deal) pretty compelling myself. That scene in the
graveyard
was played out really well, IMO. I’m not saying its Shakespeare or Scorsese by any stretch of the imagination, but as far as the recent glut of video game writing goes, they’re some of the more interesting characters.

The problem I have with the writing in R* open world games is that they have too fit it to kind of the missions they want people to play, and in places it can unfortunately be painfully apparent that’s exactly what they did. I think the otherwise magnificent RDR’s weakest moments can be attributed to that.

The problem with Rockstar's characters is that they don't fit the actual gameplay.

Joe Marston is a badass you don't mess with, doesn't suffer fools gladly; will do absolutely anything NPCs ask him to after a bit of aggressive posturing because reasons.

Trevor hates Michael, discovers his secret, hates him more, threatens to kill him numerous times, they both still work together because something or other.

Rockstar try to make strong characters but they always end up subservient to others because at the end of the day someone has to tell the player what to do for a dozen hours.

That's true about Joe (wait, it's John, isn't it?). It's kind of hard to rationalise why he does everything every NPC asks, but I can personally let that slide as a concession to gaming.

Trevor, on the other hand, won't kill Michael because he loves him. Even at the end, when he has a legitimate reason to do so, he won't kill him. They are in an abusive relationship. There's no dissonance there. A lot of people say one thing and do another.

NinjaBoiX

R*'s writing and characterisation is well above par for the industry, I don't get the hate. Maybe not quite as good as Naughty Dog at their best, but I can't think of many other studios that could contend with them in that regard.

Reknoc

I liked Michael and Trevor but the game didn't really do enough with them, it did even less for Franklin. GTAV's story was like trying to make sandwiches with a loaf of bread but only having one of those tiny little jam pots the have in cafes.

Wouldn't have even minded if not for the fact that the most interesting idea the game had was tied to the story, and it only had 3 of them, and 1 of them was just a tutorial for a mechanic that clearly didn't matter.

"Hey if you use the same characters in heists their abilities will level up and it might be worth using them in later ones... psych there's only 2 more heists and you're gonna get perfect stated characters in stranger encounters anyway oooooooh wellllllllll"

I bought GTA V recently on PS3, played it a little and haven't played it since. I don't think the open world GTA formula is as exciting as it used to be. Definitely feels like I'm playing a PS2 game.

The FPS perspective is more than welcome to me though, may have to check that out on PC.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Michael and Trevor but the game didn't really do enough with them, it did even less for Franklin. GTAV's story was like trying to make sandwiches with a loaf of bread but only having one of those tiny little jam pots the have in cafes.

Wouldn't have even minded if not for the fact that the most interesting idea the game had was tied to the story, and it only had 3 of them, and 1 of them was just a tutorial for a mechanic that clearly didn't matter.

"Hey if you use the same characters in heists their abilities will level up and it might be worth using them in later ones... psych there's only 2 more heists and you're gonna get perfect stated characters in stranger encounters anyway oooooooh wellllllllll"

Yeah, GTAV isn't without it's issues: No defined antagonists, poor last third of the game, lack of heists (and lack of rewards), lack of character in Franklin etc.

It's still a stonking game when it was awesome (and it frequently was).

I bought GTA V recently on PS3, played it a little and haven't played it since. I don't think the open world GTA formula is as exciting as it used to be. Definitely feels like I'm playing a PS2 game...

...from the year 8000 AD, maybe. :D

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I feel weird that I have no interest in GTA at all. I thought GTA 1 was fun enough back in the day, but I find open world games don't grab me. They always feel like a bunch of average mechanics stapled together across a map full of pointless collectibles.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I feel weird that I have no interest in GTA at all. I thought GTA 1 was fun enough back in the day, but I find open world games don't grab me. They always feel like a bunch of average mechanics stapled together across a map full of pointless collectibles.

Red Dead Redemption is where it's at. Amazing game. Top 3 of the last generation.

In fact, R*'s open worlds are always incredible to simply be in.

Not even GTA III? I found that to be a significant installment.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I bought GTA V recently on PS3, played it a little and haven't played it since. I don't think the open world GTA formula is as exciting as it used to be. Definitely feels like I'm playing a PS2 game.

The FPS perspective is more than welcome to me though, may have to check that out on PC.

As someone who is replaying San Andreas, I've got to say you're fulla shit on that. The quantum leap between SA and 5 is ridiculous. PS3 GTA5 feels like a PS4 game more like it.

As someone who is replaying San Andreas, I've got to say you're fulla shit on that. The quantum leap between SA and 5 is ridiculous. PS3 GTA5 feels like a PS4 game more like it.

The AI is the biggest difference for me. Perhaps I need to explore the game further than a few hours, goes without saying really.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The AI is the biggest difference for me. Perhaps I need to explore the game further than a few hours, goes without saying really.

The changes they made to the AI in 5 (police park up way further away, much more accurate shots) did kinda annoy me but I got used to them. It's an unfortunate reality of gaming that AI is usually pretty low down the list of priorities for devs and console manufacturers.

But the world of GTA5 is beyond ridiculous, it might well be the most realistic and detailed environment in any video game ever. The roads, man. R* kill at making realistic roads. Ever so slightly curved, showing the signs of wear and tear and past roadworks. The way the setting sun reflects off the tarmac... it's a thing of beauty.

Playing SA again reminded me that the countryside is pretty much just a mile of jaggy triangles. 5's rolling hills and ridiculous jumps are just gaming heaven for me (caveat: I must have spent at least 200 hours on GTA5 over the past year, it's my GOAT)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The changes they made to the AI in 5 (police park up way further away, much more accurate shots) did kinda annoy me but I got used to them. It's an unfortunate reality of gaming that AI is usually pretty low down the list of priorities for devs and console manufacturers.

But the world of GTA5 is beyond ridiculous, it might well be the most realistic and detailed environment in any video game ever. The roads, man. R* kill at making realistic roads. Ever so slightly curved, showing the signs of wear and tear and past roadworks. The way the setting sun reflects off the tarmac... it's a thing of beauty.

Playing SA again reminded me that the countryside is pretty much just a mile of jaggy triangles. 5's rolling hills and ridiculous jumps are just gaming heaven for me (caveat: I must have spent at least 200 hours on GTA5 over the past year, it's my GOAT)

Don't forget the flip-flops that flip. And flop. All night long, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom