• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Red Dead Redemption is where it's at. Amazing game. Top 3 of the last generation.

In fact, R*'s open worlds are always incredible to simply be in.

Not even GTA III? I found that to be a significant installment.

Red Dead sounds interesting , but I don't really care for what I've seen of GTA. It's just not my kind of power fantasy. That's pretty reductive, isn't it? Crime drama just doesn't really appeal to me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Haha! That review was balls. Nah, I just enjoyed it. I thought Niko was cool and Roman was really sweet. Didn't like Packie, mind. That guy was a dick.

And he has a surprisingly racist name coming from a UK studio. Why wasn't he called Paddy? That's an authentic Irish name. Packie is just... dodgy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Red Dead sounds interesting , but I don't really care for what I've seen of GTA. It's just not my kind of power fantasy. That's pretty reductive, isn't it? Crime drama just doesn't really appeal to me.

Red Dead's overall story is brilliant. It makes a few necessary concessions to gaming (like I mentioned earlier) but they are easy to overlook when the rest of the package (graphics, THE MUSIC, the voice acting, multiplayer etc.) is damn near perfect.

It also has one of the best DLCs of all time.

And he has a surprisingly racist name coming from a UK studio. Why wasn't he called Paddy? That's an authentic Irish name. Packie is just... dodgy.

They knew exactly what they were doing, cheeky bastards.

I feel weird that I have no interest in GTA at all. I thought GTA 1 was fun enough back in the day, but I find open world games don't grab me. They always feel like a bunch of average mechanics stapled together across a map full of pointless collectibles.

I'll never forget playing the original GTA multiplayer against a mate back on 1997 internet. We didn't even have 56k modems, only 33.6kbps . You actually had to type the other person's phone number in.

It was incredibly laggy but still a lot of fun.

Reknoc

While we're all fellating the R* shaft I just wanna chime in that Bully was a really big surprise for me. Wasn't expecting much when it was first shown because it looked like a jank GTA clone, but a lot of effort was put into it and made really good use of the setting. Probably one of my favourite R* games.

NinjaBoiX

GTA 2 still GOAT GTA.
VXXUutH.gif

You got a perdy mouff
ninjaboix-more-transpatudu.png

R* North's best games are Lemmings and Unirally.

Space Station Silicon Valley > all
EBB6yKb.jpg

SmokyDave

That owl-lady wat gif is blowing my mind.

No, that's Paddy.
Nah, it's Packie as well. Like I said, see Patrick Bonner for one prominent example. It's a colloquial Irish shortening of Patrick (just as Paddy is).

I think Paddy would've been a much dodgier choice, personally.

I feel weird that I have no interest in GTA at all. I thought GTA 1 was fun enough back in the day, but I find open world games don't grab me. They always feel like a bunch of average mechanics stapled together across a map full of pointless collectibles.

I feel it's worth making a case for GTA when it comes to the open world... the amount of effort Rockstar go to is staggering. All the way down to the subtlest things, like your phone/car radio losing reception when you go through tunnels or pedestrians running to shelter when it starts to rain, things like that. When it comes to creating a living world, Rockstar blows pretty much everyone out of the water. It's one reason the inFamous games have always felt lacklustre to me; the world is so shallow, barely attempting to pretend the city is real.

As for GTA IV, Packie was the shit, liked him a lot. His frigid sister can go die though
literally, I felt so torn up when Roman got shot and felt nothing but a mild sense of relief when it happened to Kate instead the second time round
. Although, the game seemed to force you into having Jacob be your best mate though when I would much rather have Packie or Brucie or Dwayne be your go to guy.

GTA IV's cast sometimes had some interesting stuff to say though; I would contend that Dwayne is actually one of the best characters to come out of the series. It makes me sick to believe that there are people in this world that chose Playboy X over Dwayne.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Roman was the big sloppy heart of an otherwise deeply cynical game. I never turned down a meet up with him. He reminds me of one of my best friends.

Roman was the big sloppy heart of an otherwise deeply cynical game. I never turned down a meet up with him. He reminds me of one of my best friends.

AMURKIAN TEETIES!

Yeah I loved him. Somehow his character's connection as family actually meant something to me, no game has been able to achieve that since.

SmokyDave

Although I think R* make the finest open worlds by some measure, Saints Row: The Third is top of the pile for me. I fucking love that game dearly.

Red Dead's overall story is brilliant. It makes a few necessary concessions to gaming (like I mentioned earlier) but they are easy to overlook when the rest of the package (graphics, THE MUSIC, the voice acting, multiplayer etc.) is damn near perfect.

It also has one of the best DLCs of all time.

They knew exactly what they were doing, cheeky bastards.

Sexy John Marston riding a unicorn was quite possibly my happiest gaming moment ever

Skele7on

Banned
I quite literally just had a scottish £10 note refused in a pub.

I would also like to add mcdonalds in Surbtion who gave me said note, FUCK YOU.

Although I agree it isn;t legal tender, was just too tired this morning when buy my mcdonalds breakfast.

Reknoc

Although I think R* make the finest open worlds by some measure, Saints Row: The Third is top of the pile for me. I fucking love that game dearly.

2 for me, 3 had a lot of really cool shit but 2 just felt way more... complete. Didn't like that so many story missions were activities and that the activities themselves didn't have their own story stuff.

But on the other hand DDTing the shit out of people never got old.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I haven't done that since the first week I've viewed it, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXfiSU_wqE

Oatabix? Where? WHERE!?

Someone at my work said "sweetabix " in response to me saying "bosh job done ." He is now my favourite person.

Daps fair enough on the GTA. I'm bound to try it at some point next year when I catch up on all these ps4 games.

I just want to mention how good LBP Vita is. So much love was put in that game. It's just amazing. So sad that nobody bought it and nobody plays it online. It was the reason I bought a Vita in the first place all those years ago (😄) and it's still the best big game on it. Poor Tarsier and Double 11.

Chinner

Banned
I think Chinner is really overrated. All he does is come in, pick on the same people and then leave. I don't get it. Maybe I had to be around in OT1 or something.
i suppose you could say the same about nintendo games.

anyone getting cod or impressions? i havent played one since mw2 (5 years ago) and im quite tempted.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
i suppose you could say the same about nintendo games.

anyone getting cod or impressions? i havent played one since mw2 (5 years ago) and im quite tempted.

That's a crap comeback and you know it.

Some friends want me to get the new CoD but Ghosts was so crap I'm not really that bothered.

Ashes

Banned
So I'm going to watch Interstellar tomorrow at the BFI at 5:30am.
I work the graveyard shift, so I've watched films at 'odd' times before. But this is by far the earliest.
Yes. You're right. It was a mistake. I thought I was booking 5:30pm. :p
But I think it might be an experience for the books.

edit: And yes my friend pulled out already. And yes it was they who figured out I'd booked it wrong. :p

IK,R?

Haha! I can imagine.

Can't for RDR2. Better have that switch mechanic from GTAV so I can reenact The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. :)

Wait what? There going to be a Red Dead 2? Hold on

Edit: oh ok, nothing confirmed just rumours but it is likely. Won't quite be the same without John Marston though.

Shurely RDR2 would have to be set later than 1914 (or whatever year the first one ended)? How would that work? I thought one of the themes of the first one was that the Wild West had pretty much come to an end at that point. I mean,
you drive around in a car firing a gatling gun at one bit in RDR don't you?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I'm going to watch Interstellar tomorrow at the BFI at 5:30am.
I work the graveyard shift, so I've watched films at 'odd' times before. But this is by far the earliest.
Yes. You're right. It was a mistake. I thought I was booking 5:30pm. :p
But I think it might be an experience for the books.

edit: And yes my friend pulled out already. And yes it was they who figured out I'd booked it wrong. :p

Ha, well played for following through with it, it'll be an experience if nothing else.

I'm going to see it (at night). Excited for it, but I read an article about it and fear I know too much about what's going to happen. That said, I've always wanted a film about this so I'm still looking forward to it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Shurely RDR2 would have to be set later than 1914 (or whatever year the first one ended)? How would that work? I thought one of the themes of the first one was that the Wild West had pretty much come to an end at that point. I mean,

Well there must have been some old west folks getting used to living in cities, that could be interesting. Fish out of water stuff.

Well there must have been some old west folks getting used to living in cities, that could be interesting. Fish out of water stuff.

I guess, and I really enjoyed the Blackwater area of RDR. It felt really different to the rest of the game leading up to that point to finally be in civilisation.

But John Marston was a relic in RDR. You know, I think those "Government" guys make a point of it even. I just can't see how they could make a sequel where you play as (presumably) his son in the same style.

I'd still buy it though, obviously :p

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what? There going to be a Red Dead 2? Hold on

Edit: oh ok, nothing confirmed just rumours but it is likely. Won't quite be the same without John Marston though.

Oh god it is so sad that this will never happen :'(

BELIEVE.

Maybe it'll be a prequel of John Marston in his gang days?

All the story beats that would go into that were kind of sort of if you squint and hold it upside down at arms length already covered in The Lost & Damned DLC for GTAIV, I thought.

They could set whenever they wanted. Earlier would be better. Civil War could be cool. The Frontier Days spanned quite a bit of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom