• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
I don't know, could be. Looks quite flash for a fan project though. Maybe actually watch it first before you decide?

(It's two minutes long and you replied inside a minute.)
Because I saw it the other day, mate. I was undecided then, I'm undecided now. The Youtube channel the video is uploaded to has no other videos on it, and was created the same day the video was uploaded. The name is completely unrelated to SW, too. I can't see the trailer anywhere else, either. Just going by what I've seen, brah.

For all I know, it could be real. I hope not, though.

NinjaBoiX

I'd be surprised if there wasn't more of a fanfare for it, but at the same time it doesn't look super low rent.

I dunno, it's probably fake, but it looks fairly legit at the same time.

mkuHNxW.jpg

i love that after the awful incidences of jurassic park 1-3, someone thought that a new, bigger island with a dangerous genetically modified dinosaur would go swimmingly well.
how are they getting financed?

SuperSah

Banned
Hey hey hey. Unconditional offer from Bournemouth University.

Will definitely insurance it provided York gives me the place after the interview. :3

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
i love that after the awful incidences of jurassic park 1-3, someone thought that a new, bigger island with a dangerous genetically modified dinosaur would go swimmingly well.
how are they getting financed?
"We'll do a better job than those other guys...and the guys before them...and the ones before that..."

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ok second interstellar viewing. Now I'm familiar with the topography of it, it was far more coherent. I think it's Nolan's best. In so many of his films he's very careful with his message; everything has an opposite and he'll hedge all the the way to ambiguity. In this one he's really expressing his feelings for once I think. I found it really moving. I'm not sure it's what people expected from the current major-domo of big action, but the more I chew it over in my head the more it really resonates with me.

This doesn't mean it's flawless - there's some bits where an extra five minutes (especially near the end) would've really helped it. I also think theres a couple of scenes where the dialogue is a little bit too "director speaking" rather than "character speaking".

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I thought iInterstellar would have benefited from some more editing to be shorter around the Matt Damon part, which felt drawn out but that might have just been because
I predicted the 'twist' the second they got there and saw the broken robot
. The use of ambiguity throughout the film was good, and the ending felt pretty close-ended to me. Not sure what else they could have shown at the end that would not have felt like patting the audience on the head.

I'm afraid of watching it again because while I enjoyed my original viewing, just discussing it with friends and thinking back on it the tapestry of the plot is already beginning to unravel at the edges. This seems to be a recurring theme for me with Nolan films (Inception got worse and worse every time I watched it).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I thought iInterstellar would have benefited from some more editing to be shorter around the Matt Damon part, which felt drawn out but that might have just been because
I predicted the 'twist' the second they got there and saw the broken robot
. The use of ambiguity throughout the film was good, and the ending felt pretty close-ended to me. Not sure what else they could have shown at the end that would not have felt like patting the audience on the head.

I'm afraid of watching it again because while I enjoyed my original viewing, just discussing it with friends and thinking back on it the tapestry of the plot is already beginning to unravel at the edges. This seems to be a recurring theme for me with Nolan films (Inception got worse and worse every time I watched it).

I don't really watch it literally - I'm quite prepared for the story to make emotional rather than logical sense and I found the film so much better knowing the events in advance and what ideas they were trying to put across.

I'm not accusing you of this - but it's something I overhear sometimes - where people see the film as something to outsmart. I accept that there needs to be an internal coherence for it to prolong that suspension of disbelief but I prefer ideas films just to go for it and speculate away. I'm the one person who thinks AI is actually a really interesting science fiction film because it's about ideas at the expense of everything else. Subtext > text for me is always the thing.

It's why when anyone tries to read my writing or flick through my art books none of it makes any sense! I just don't care about the little details like a plot!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Ok second interstellar viewing. Now I'm familiar with the topography of it, it was far more coherent. I think it's Nolan's best. In so many of his films he's very careful with his message; everything has an opposite and he'll hedge all the the way to ambiguity. In this one he's really expressing his feelings for once I think. I found it really moving. I'm not sure it's what people expected from the current major-domo of big action, but the more I chew it over in my head the more it really resonates with me.

This doesn't mean it's flawless - there's some bits where an extra five minutes (especially near the end) would've really helped it. I also think theres a couple of scenes where the dialogue is a little bit too "director speaking" rather than "character speaking".

He always feels like someone good at expressing a message or theme in his work, but can't write/direct characters for shit. The Prestige is the one film (maybe Memento, it has been a while) where it feels like the characters are speaking as characters rather than tools for delivering the tone of the scene or film.

I think he's a great blockbuster director because in the moment his films are enjoyable to watch (even TDKR is brilliant mid-experience) and he creates the feel of spectable very well. But when you look back on it critically his films have huge holes. Be they plot-holes, poor dialogue or terrible action direction.

But the Prestige, the goddamn Prestige...

Oh and congratulations SuperSah!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
He always feels like someone good at expressing a message or theme in his work, but can't write/direct characters for shit. The Prestige is the one film (maybe Memento, it has been a while) where it feels like the characters are speaking as characters rather than tools for delivering the tone of the scene or film.

I think he's a great blockbuster director because in the moment his films are enjoyable to watch (even TDKR is brilliant mid-experience) and he creates the feel of spectable very well. But when you look back on it critically his films have huge holes. Be they plot-holes, poor dialogue or terrible action direction.

But the Prestige, the goddamn Prestige...

Oh and congratulations SuperSah!

Yea, congrats Sah!

Like I say, I'm not that bothered by plot holes or the literal events on screen. I like aesthetics, allegory and ideas. I'm quite happy watching pure art films just as much as narrative cinema.

Do you really think he didn't direct Matthew McCoughnahey (sp) well? I thought interstellar was all about the characters and I thought that although they were broadly drawn they were also relatable and interesting.

He's making a film about family, home and time. I think he explores those ideas pretty well and visualises them in an incredible way. I'm not really bothered by the science or the Logic of it. I trust him as a director to be giving me the experience he wants and I'm happy with that.

To go a bit further - it's why I love Fez so much or even things like Bayonetta 2 - I get the sense of the author behind it creating something personal and true to themselves. It's why I think games like Infamous and Assassin's Creed are puerile dreck - games made my committee with tired tropes instead of substance, making empty noise instead of speaking. If I don't feel like I'm connecting with the people behind the game / film / 'art' then it's completely binnable to me.

Symphonia

Banned
Just came online to a ton of messages in my inbox. I never get any usually so I was confused why. Apparently my compassion and sincerity in a few threads has been appreciated by many members, and they wish me well. It's stupid but things like that make my day.

n_n

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think you're right about emotional logic, sploatee. Pretty sure that in itself is a big theme in Interstellar. It's just hard to shut off the critical part of my brain sometimes even if it gets in the way of enjoying a movie. Especially hard when a lot of the technology and science fiction concepts are so interesting to me. For what it's worth, I really liked McCoughnahey's character in this one though I don't know how much of that is Nolan's influence and how much is just Matt's ability to play really lovable characters. Ever since Dallas Buyers Club I've seen the dude in a whole new light.

Also vcassano The Prestige is my favorite Christopher Nolan film and your analysis of his work in general is great. It sort of set sup his mission statement for all the movies he makes too: deep down, the audience doesn't want to every twist all figured out even though they might desire to know the truth. At the end of the day, we want to be fooled.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think you're right about emotional logic, sploatee. Pretty sure that in itself is a big theme in Interstellar. It's just hard to shut off the critical part of my brain sometimes even if it gets in the way of enjoying a movie. Especially hard when a lot of the technology and science fiction concepts are so interesting to me. For what it's worth, I really liked McCoughnahey's character in this one though I don't know how much of that is Nolan's influence and how much is just Matt's ability to play really lovable characters. Ever since Dallas Buyers Club I've seen the dude in a whole new light.

Also vcassano The Prestige is my favorite Christopher Nolan film and your analysis of his work in general is great. It sort of set sup his mission statement for all the movies he makes too: deep down, the audience doesn't want to every twist all figured out even though they might desire to know the truth. At the end of the day, we want to be fooled.

Yeah. Being honest, as soon as it finished it felt like half of the people in the cinema were moved and half were like "nah. It's nonsense guff." I think over time the hype will die down and people will be able to take it for what it is and judge it for that, rather than it being the next from The Greatest Filmmaker On Earth and Visionary Director of Inception.

I think The Prestige is good but it's more a demonstration of how good a craftsman he is than anything else. I need to see it again though. The Batman films were ok but got a bit too baggy for me as the trilogy went on (I even think The Dark Knight could be half an hour shorter) and Memento is good but it's another tech demo to me. It's been an awfully long time since I've seen it though. Interstellar and Inception are the two I connected with and I prefer the cosmic-ness (maan) of Interstellar.

It's probably a bit left brain right brain or something, too. I lack common sense and sensible ness to such a level I once got lost on my own street. E sorts out all that life stuff for me!

Oh oh also - the scene
which intercuts him leaving Murph and the takeoff countdown
is one of the most incredible scenes I've ever seen in a film.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Like I say, I'm not that bothered by plot holes or the literal events on screen. I like aesthetics, allegory and ideas. I'm quite happy watching pure art films just as much as narrative cinema.

Me too. I like films that achieve what they set out to do. Where I differ is I think both textual and subtextual heavy films have their place. I value both equally and I adore films that meaningfully balance the two. I like films as disparate as Inland Empire, The Avengers, La Jetee, Rango and Memento, to name a few random ones off the top of my nogging.

Some films, like Memento for instance, have that nice balance between text and subtext. It had a really interesting subtext about identity and reality via a lens of semiotics and symbology. However, because of the nature of the film, if the carefully plotted narrative had holes, the film would fall apart (it doesn't). There is a big emotional centre to the film too, which I think often gets swept to the side. Surely people can relate to Leonard and his desperate quest for truth in a world of lies, one that it turns out he's built for himself (Existentialism unbound!!!).

Pedantic questions like how Bruce Wayne got back to Gotham or why the cops don't have beards at the end of TDKR, are absurd (EDIT: in isolation). Fun to point out, but hardly the mark of a bad film. TDKR is a romp and it doesn't really matter. However, if there are a perfect confluence of poor choices that conspire unwittingly to bring you out of the film (something most films aren't trying to do), whether that film is an Art House dream-logic masterpiece or a Blockbuster romp, that's a failure on the part of the movie, a la stuff like Into Darkness or TDKR; the latter of which has a ton of more important issues with it than men's hygiene and inexplicable travel arrangements.

Or summink.

Symphonia

Banned
I can send you threatening letters to balance things out if you want, cyanide.
I'd love it if you did, babe. Here's some ammunition for you. I asked in the dating thread but I'll ask here, too.

I've never been good at approaching women unless we're in a bar and I've had a drink, or if it's been over the internet. My last two relationships started on Tumblr. But approaching a woman for the first time in real-life is something I'm terrible at. I have zero confidence. I have a stammer, I'm not overly attractive, I'm out of shape, and my depression/anxiety puts people off. How do I go about approaching a girl? I saw one today (who I've seen around regularly) but bottled out of talking to her. I want to try a more traditional method of meeting someone but I've no idea how.

jimbor

Banned
I'd love it if you did, babe. Here's some ammunition for you. I asked in the dating thread but I'll ask here, too.

I've never been good at approaching women unless we're in a bar and I've had a drink, or if it's been over the internet. My last two relationships started on Tumblr. But approaching a woman for the first time in real-life is something I'm terrible at. I have zero confidence. I have a stammer, I'm not overly attractive, I'm out of shape, and my depression/anxiety puts people off. How do I go about approaching a girl? I saw one today (who I've seen around regularly) but bottled out of talking to her. I want to try a more traditional method of meeting someone but I've no idea how.

I find my elephant impression always breaks the ice.

Mikeside

Firstly, there's no reason you being depressed/anxious should even come up when you're meeting somebody new. Be positive and you'll meet positive people. People worth meeting.
Be negative and you'll meet negative people. People who need to cheer the fuck up and take life less seriously.

You just need to find a way to start liking yourself more. When you can think of a few reasons you really like you, that's when you can figure out how to show your positives to other people.

I will also note that you've not been incredibly receptive to the advice of others in the past, so I hope you're in a more positive place where you can take things in the best spirit.

Symphonia

Banned
I will also note that you've not been incredibly receptive to the advice of others in the past, so I hope you're in a more positive place where you can take things in the best spirit.
I definitely am in a better place. I was explaining to Musha earlier this week that I wish I'd realised sooner you were all just looking out for me and trying to help me. I truly do appreciate it all, though. I've come to realise now that being negative and keeping everything bottled up only ends in isolation. I learnt that the hard way, trust me.

And cheers for the advice, you and jimbor. Depression doesn't really come into it until a later date, but my anxiety is obvious when you're face to face with me. That's something O'm working on, though. And jimbor, I can do an excellent elephant impersonation with my 'trunk', giggidy.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Do you really think he didn't direct Matthew McCoughnahey (sp) well? I thought interstellar was all about the characters and I thought that although they were broadly drawn they were also relatable and interesting.

He's making a film about family, home and time. I think he explores those ideas pretty well and visualises them in an incredible way. I'm not really bothered by the science or the Logic of it. I trust him as a director to be giving me the experience he wants and I'm happy with that.

To go a bit further - it's why I love Fez so much or even things like Bayonetta 2 - I get the sense of the author behind it creating something personal and true to themselves. It's why I think games like Infamous and Assassin's Creed are puerile dreck - games made my committee with tired tropes instead of substance, making empty noise instead of speaking. If I don't feel like I'm connecting with the people behind the game / film / 'art' then it's completely binnable to me.

I'm with you on the first part - I couldn't care less about the science of films and can easily accept logical leaps. As I say I think he captures the visual, blockbuster experience very well - I always make a point to watch his films in the cinema because they are great for that. I was seriously excited during TKDR despite there being numerous problems with it.

Interstellar was his best film since The Prestige; I do think it is good and does the visual/thematic delivery very well. It just gets too convoluted and the characters don't bridge that gap well enough. They are still too Brechtian to be likeable. It is very much like (a better) Inception - the 'twist' element is too complex and takes centre stage with the character. But McConaughey is far more likeable in his role than the Inception cast who felt very disconnected from the audience. How much of that is on Nolan, I don't know or care, really.

Personally I do like that there is a blockbuster where you can see the authorship so clearly. That's one of the reasons I liked GOTG so much - despite being a shitty comic book movie it had that James Gunn style.

The Prestige and Memento work because though the characters are archetypal, they have room to breathe and be more than just that. It is also a perfect execution on his twist-based approach. The rest of his films lack the clarity and elegance of those two, getting too muddled up in silly comic book stuff or overly complex sci-fi (for me, Blade Runner is the perfect execution of sci-fi.

I always see Nolan as a showman, not a storyteller.

Put it better than me ;)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Me too. I like films that achieve what they set out to do. Where I differ is I think both textual and subtextual heavy films have their place. I value both equally and I adore films that meaningfully balance the two. I like films as disparate as Inland Empire, The Avengers, La Jetee, Rango and Memento, to name a few random ones off the top of my nogging.

Some films, like Memento for instance, have that nice balance between text and subtext. It had a really interesting subtext about identity and reality via a lens of semiotics and symbology. However, because of the nature of the film, if the carefully plotted narrative had holes, the film would fall apart (it doesn't). There is a big emotional centre to the film too, which I think often gets swept to the side. Surely people can relate to Leonard and his desperate quest for truth in a world of lies, one that it turns out he's built for himself (Existentialism unbound!!!).

Pedantic questions like how Bruce Wayne got back to Gotham or why the cops don't have beards at the end of TDKR, are absurd (EDIT: in isolation). Fun to point out, but hardly the mark of a bad film. TDKR is a romp and it doesn't really matter. However, if there are a perfect confluence of poor choices that conspire unwittingly to bring you out of the film (something most films aren't trying to do), whether that film is an Art House dream-logic masterpiece or a Blockbuster romp, that's a failure on the part of the movie, a la stuff like Into Darkness or TDKR; the latter of which has a ton of more important issues with it than men's hygiene and inexplicable travel arrangements.

Or summink.

That makes sense.

I'm with you on the first part - I couldn't care less about the science of films and can easily accept logical leaps. As I say I think he captures the visual, blockbuster experience very well - I always make a point to watch his films in the cinema because they are great for that. I was seriously excited during TKDR despite there being numerous problems with it.

Interstellar was his best film since The Prestige; I do think it is good and does the visual/thematic delivery very well. It just gets too convoluted and the characters don't bridge that gap well enough. They are still too Brechtian to be likeable. It is very much like (a better) Inception - the 'twist' element is too complex and takes centre stage with the character. But McConaughey is far more likeable in his role than the Inception cast who felt very disconnected from the audience. How much of that is on Nolan, I don't know or care, really.

Personally I do like that there is a blockbuster where you can see the authorship so clearly. That's one of the reasons I liked GOTG so much - despite being a shitty comic book movie it had that James Gunn style.

The Prestige and Memento work because though the characters are archetypal, they have room to breathe and be more than just that. It is also a perfect execution on his twist-based approach. The rest of his films lack the clarity and elegance of those two, getting too muddled up in silly comic book stuff or overly complex sci-fi (for me, Blade Runner is the perfect execution of sci-fi.

I always see Nolan as a showman, not a storyteller.

Put it better than me ;)

Hmmmmmm. I can completely agree with you, but I guess it's as simple as this film actually engaging me on an emotional level and then everything flowing from there. This one just felt like something more to me . But, you know, I also loved Prometheus.

I like Blade Runner, but it's no 2001!

jimbor

Banned
Watch Bladerunner. The film is a fantastic piece of cinematography and social commentary.

I haven't watched 2001: Space Odyssey, Aliens (2), Predator, Godfather, Jaws, Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction (or any Taratino film), etc.
Sounds like you've seen as many films as that Wolf of Wall Street fan.

Son Of D

Watch Bladerunner. The film is a fantastic piece of cinematography and social commentary.

I haven't watched 2001: Space Odyssey, Aliens (2), Predator, Godfather, Jaws, Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction (or any Taratino film), etc.

What? Fix that immediately. Just ignore Godfather 3 and the Jaws sequels.

Admittedly I haven't seen Aliens but I do plan on fixing that as soon as possible.

Vashetti

Banned
That feeling when your wages have come through \o/

I think I got my tax refunded too, as these wages are pretty much double what I was expecting. A nice early Christmas present there.

Plus due to get housing benefit paid on top. Life feels good right now.

Considering in the past week I have had just £20 in my bank and lost access to my card, felt like we were about to run out of money.

As far as dignity, taste and general self respect are concerned, some of the posts pertaining to films in this thread have forced my hand. I will not name names but some of you have been demoted to mere acquaintances, others are little more than shabby embarrassing strangers to me now. I turn my back on you.

Also im 24 now yaaaay!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Happy birthday dapper!

(Yes, I snatched the easy message first so now I don't have to think of clever way to say it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom