• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Skele7on

Banned
Having a big house-warming-BBQ-thing this weekend. Gonna fucking piss it down obviously, but whatever. We have a ton of burgers, a ton of sausage, a ton of chicken-and-chorizo-and-pepper kebabs, chicken wings, big mushrooms, ribs AND I'm doing a pork shoulder in the slow cooker so people can shove some pulled pork on their burgers and hot dogs. And obviously nibbles (popcorn, sexy italian herby potatos, pasta, doritos and my HOME MADE pico de galo) and a WAFFLE STATION with a ton of waffle batter, ice cream, sauces, sprinkles, etc. AND we have a huge bar stuffed with spirits from all our trips to Gib, AND a load of beer and wine AND a giant 8 liter drinks dispenser which we're gonna make the worlds largest (maybe) Margarita in. It has a little tap, it's cute as shit.

See, the thing is we have (in the group coming) one couple who are notorious for throwing amazing parties, and another couple who are notorious for throwing shit ones. Like, super boring, cleaning up around your feet, asking if you've booked a cab yet etc. And it's not that we're competitive - I'm not bothered about "beating" the good guys - I just wanna make sure we're in the cool kid category rather than the shit-head one.

I keep wondering if I'm missing anything, but I don't think we are. I'll also have the football on the telly all day, and we have 7 people staying over. ARgghh.

no invite for BGAF?

Having a big house-warming-BBQ-thing this weekend. Gonna fucking piss it down obviously, but whatever. We have a ton of burgers, a ton of sausage, a ton of chicken-and-chorizo-and-pepper kebabs, chicken wings, big mushrooms, ribs AND I'm doing a pork shoulder in the slow cooker so people can shove some pulled pork on their burgers and hot dogs. And obviously nibbles (popcorn, sexy italian herby potatos, pasta, doritos and my HOME MADE pico de galo) and a WAFFLE STATION with a ton of waffle batter, ice cream, sauces, sprinkles, etc. AND we have a huge bar stuffed with spirits from all our trips to Gib, AND a load of beer and wine AND a giant 8 liter drinks dispenser which we're gonna make the worlds largest (maybe) Margarita in. It has a little tap, it's cute as shit.

See, the thing is we have (in the group coming) one couple who are notorious for throwing amazing parties, and another couple who are notorious for throwing shit ones. Like, super boring, cleaning up around your feet, asking if you've booked a cab yet etc. And it's not that we're competitive - I'm not bothered about "beating" the good guys - I just wanna make sure we're in the cool kid category rather than the shit-head one.

I keep wondering if I'm missing anything, but I don't think we are. I'll also have the football on the telly all day, and we have 7 people staying over. ARgghh.

If people are kept drunk and well fed, and given some good stories from the night to go home with you'll be in the cool kid category no problem.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I bought a beard trimmer so I can be basically clean shaven without having to wet shave

It'll also help my facial hair become more bristley

yeah boy

Do you have red cups?

Not red :( but they are plastic! No way am I letting them near the glass!

Oh, and cigars! I have 9 of my fancy pants fat fuckers left.

no invite for BGAF?

Sure, come along! Welwyn Garden City - just follow the 90's pop playlist sound.

If people are kept drunk and well fed, and given some good stories from the night to go home with you'll be in the cool kid category no problem.

They'll be wankered, no worries. There's 7 people staying over so the 9 of us can tool down to town the next day for a fry up.

Skele7on

Banned
Sure, come along! Welwyn Garden City - just follow the 90's pop playlist sound.

too near luton :|

Urgh some of my bigger weekend plans fell through and metal gear isn't released.

On the other hand next week is stupid busy.

How frustrating!

Should have bought from simply, I'll be playing tonight.

I bought a beard trimmer so I can be basically clean shaven without having to wet shave

It'll also help my facial hair become more bristley

yeah boy

But how's the lump? that C lump ;) hope you saved up them coins

Forgive my ignorance but I've never really "got" MGS.

I mean, I think I understand why people love it. But the only ones I ever played was the PS1 game and MGS4 (which I found more or less unbearable with the cutscenes).

The thing I find weird about it is that it has such a strong emphasis on stealth but the game can be steamrolled if you go gunsblazing.

I learnt this when I played a bit of GZ last week. Obviously it's more satisfying to play stealthily but you have so many tools at your disposal to just go full CoD on the mission.

I am sort of catching the hype contagion however.

This is my main reason for wanting it.

I haven't played one in years. I truly love MGS because it was just so different, it was one of those games that you genuinely haven't played anything like it ever before. MGS2 I kinda liked, MGS3 I hated, MGS4 I skipped, and yet here I am on the verge of V.

I imagine I won't have any fucking idea what's going on with the plot but that should put me in the same boat as everyone else whether they've played all the games repeatedly or not.

I mean, I think I understand why people love it. But the only ones I ever played was the PS1 game and MGS4 (which I found more or less unbearable with the cutscenes).

The thing I find weird about it is that it has such a strong emphasis on stealth but the game can be steamrolled if you go gunsblazing.

I learnt this when I played a bit of GZ last week. Obviously it's more satisfying to play stealthily but you have so many tools at your disposal to just go full CoD on the mission.

I think running and gunning has become more of a trait as the games have progressed. Whilst MGS1 kind can, it's a lot harder to do it like that and is - in almost all circumstances - the worst way to do it. By MGS4 it's a totally reasonable tactic, so it got "worse" in that respect.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm champing at the bit to get my hands on MGSV. It's always been "my shit".

MGSIV was hugely disappointing for me but otherwise the series has been consistently glorious.

Ashes

Banned
Monday is like next week though.

Why
is time
got to be
so damn
unreliable?
Sometimes,
she runs like
my childhood did;
and at other times,
she can't hurry the fuck
up and get ready already. :/

Reknoc

Despite my feelings towards GZ and the MGO delay I'm still super mega excited for TPP. Already read some of the spoiler thread idgaf i just want to ride around in a desert with my dog buddy/naked mute sniper buddy.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Hello again, britgaf.

There is an 85% chance I'll be visiting the UK again soon (in September, for Dreamhack), and I was wondering whether I should make a big trip out of it.

I've been to London multiple times and I feel I've worn the city out, mostly. I went to Cambridge last time, too, and had a really good time.
What I'm wondering is how worthwhile is it to really travel throughout the rest of the UK. The things I'm into are basically museums (history/science), travelling and seeing wildlife (not much of that..), and meeting new folk in pubs or whatnot.
Another complication is that I'll be travelling with a friend who has never been to the UK, for about a week. Is it worth getting out of London for a couple of days? I could stay afterwards alone if there's cool places to go to.

Anyway, any pointers would be appreciated.

Volotaire

Hello again, britgaf.

There is an 85% chance I'll be visiting the UK again soon (in September, for Dreamhack), and I was wondering whether I should make a big trip out of it.

I've been to London multiple times and I feel I've worn the city out, mostly. I went to Cambridge last time, too, and had a really good time.
What I'm wondering is how worthwhile is it to really travel throughout the rest of the UK. The things I'm into are basically museums (history/science), travelling and seeing wildlife (not much of that..), and meeting new folk in pubs or whatnot.
Another complication is that I'll be travelling with a friend who has never been to the UK, for about a week. Is it worth getting out of London for a couple of days? I could stay afterwards alone if there's cool places to go to.

Since you enjoyed Cambridge, Oxford would be a great idea.

Bath is a historical Roman city that may be enjoyable for museums and historical sites.

Stonehenge.

Perhaps look up Wales or Scotland for hiking for something a bit different?

Edinburgh is known as a large city for arts and carries out the Fringe Festival, a one month arts festivals with arts, food and comedy, in August.

Going to London is worth it for your friends I think, as this will be of interest to them. As someone who lives in London and the UK, I think any city in the UK is poor relative to the world for tourism.

You don't need to travel the whole of the UK. But it may be better to visit the best parts of Scotland, England, Wales (if there are any :p) and Northern Ireland.

NinjaBoiX

MGS5 does sound like it might actually be good to be fair. Noffs was just complaining on whatsapp last night that he played for an hour and there was only 5 minutes of cut scenes.

Sounds glorious.

The worst part about MGS4 (other than THOSE cut scenes, the robotic animations and the frankly laughable death screams) was the stiff, restrictive controls. You couldn't really look up or down properly, when in cover you couldn't really look left or right properly and it just generally felt unresponsive and stifling, I couldn't stand it.

It felt like trying to get out of a straightjacket with mittens on.

I got sick of it about two hours in and literally just ran through the levels to the exit, not even guns blazing, sometimes without even getting spotted. My completion time was like 4 hours or something (I did skip every cut scene after the first two though because I value my time on this planet.)

Edit: just saw this in Pics That Make You Laugh, was fairly amused and found it relevant:

11224854_834721143291087_6746321704315451614_n.jpg

MGS1 was so good man, lightning in a bottle.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hello again, britgaf.

Probably the best two museums outside of London are the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford and the ten museums of industrial heritage at Ironbridge Gorge in Shropshire. Both utterly unique and compelling. Pitt Rivers itself takes about a day to get around (it is small but crammed full of stuff) and you'd need maybe three days to do the whole of the Ironbridge site justice.

NinjaBoiX

That's genius!

4 was pretty gash, can't argue there. Did you not play 2 & 3...? Two more bottles of lightning please, bar man.
Yeah, the first hour or two of MGS2 was class, the ship was so cool to explore. But then it kind of lost my interest once I got to Orange Hexagon World playing as Effeminate Emo Boy.

MGS3 seemed pretty decent though, never played it myself but I watched a pal play through most of it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the first hour or two of MGS2 was class, the ship was so cool to explore. But then it kind of lost my interest once I got to Orange Hexagon World playing as Effeminate Emo Boy.

Ah, no! You should've persevered! Your (and many other's similar) reaction to Raiden plays into one of gaming's genuinely mind blowing endings.

MGS3 seemed pretty decent though, never played it myself but I watched a pal play through most of it.

So good.

NinjaBoiX

FKA Twigs - Pendulum
- sounds like BANKS as produced by Aphex Twin, insane rhythms and her voice is sexual chocolate.
Ah, no! You should've persevered! Your (and many other's similar) reaction to Raiden plays into one of gaming's genuinely mind blowing endings.
Oh yeah, I know all about it,
the whole game was just a virtual simulation of the Shadow Moses mission
, yadda yadda. My mate is a diehard fan, he knows the story inside out. We have a running gag where I'll ask a question and he'll simply answer "because nanomachines".

Fun times, ahem.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Yup, 2 is one of the best games ever made because of its narrative and post-modern ideas. Plus it plays and looks great to this day.

MGSV is incredible, everyone. It is really something.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I know all about it,
the whole game was just a virtual simulation of the Shadow Moses mission
, yadda yadda.

It's a bit more bonkers than that and there's no easy way to sum it up really, but basically
it turns out the game was playing you (the player) all along. Even the marketing was part of the game. Worst of all, Raiden is you.

Gotta love Kojima's balls.

Yup, 2 is one of the best games ever made because of its narrative and post-modern ideas. Plus it plays and looks great to this day.

Yup, it plays like a dream. We'll never get another game taking those kind of risks again.

Ashes

Banned
Since you enjoyed Cambridge, Oxford would be a great idea.

You don't need to travel the whole of the UK. But it may be better to visit the best parts of Scotland, England, Wales (if there are any :p) and Northern Ireland.

Oxford is a poor cousin to Cambridge in my opinion, but I didn't really spend much time at either.

Of all my road trips, Wales was by far and away the most jaw dropping and breath taking. If you love vistas, curvy windy roads, foresty paths, hills, valleys, all of that beauty, it's terrific.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

MGS is a little like GTA for me. I don't get the pull, but I dip in almost every time to see if it'll click this time. So far for GTA the answer has been no. MGS I loved the first two, but it has left me cold since then.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The depiction of Quiet put me off tbh. I was on board after GZ, but I find Kojima's perviness really alienating.

Think I'll just stick to NG++ on Bloodborne for now!

The depiction of Quiet put me off tbh. I was on board after GZ, but I find Kojima's perviness really alienating.

It's definitely the only really disappointing thing I've seen about the game so far. It's literally a character design which is the archtype of a 14 year old boy's wet dream.

Supposedly Kojima said he'd delve into why the character is like that in the game, but I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say he didn't need to go about it that way to get his point across, whatever it may be.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

You will feel ashamed of your words and deeds, sploatee, when you see the reason that she is like that. Ashamed of your words and deeds!

I don't actually know the reason yet (though I suspect it)... But you can change her costume to something clothed!

She's actually quite a cool character!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You will feel ashamed of your words and deeds, sploatee, when you see the reason that she is like that. Ashamed of your words and deeds!

I don't actually know the reason yet (though I suspect it)... But you can change her costume to something clothed!

She's actually quite a cool character!

Ha. Enjoy the game.

Ashes

Banned
On the Quiet front I don't know what possible reason I will be 'ashamed of my words and deeds'. Even if it happens to be that she's suffered a terrible ordeal and now she chooses to rebel against the world or something; I'd still be inclined to think the claim to be disingenuous at best and has more to do with the author/director, in this case Kojima, than anything else.

The_Poet

Banned
I'm back from a ban just in time to ignore you all in favour of playing MGS5

And by play MGS5 I mean play DOTA

And by play DOTA I mean Rocket League

Top Bottom