• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Got a phone book through the door today. How many people don't have the internet now? Like, how many people are going "hmm, I need a landscape gardener... I know, I'll consult the phone book!" instead of just typing it into Google? It's twenty-fifteen!

Do we really still need to be fucking up forests for these things?

Also I've been watching Seinfeld and it's fucking good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But sometimes I still need that little bit of extra height to kiss someone under the mistletoe.

Qasiel

But sometimes I still need that little bit of extra height to kiss someone under the mistletoe.

That got me right in the nostalgia. I'm surprised we haven't seen a picture of the Yellow Pages and a sprig of mistletoe on Facebook with the caption "If you know the relationship between these 2 you had a cool childhood!!" or some such yet.

cj0fpSF.jpg

Wait I fucked that up really badly. Oh well. Google Image Search! I blame them.

The_Poet

Banned
Anyone been to Oktoberfest in Munich?

Im going there at the end of the month and want to know things like how hard is it to get a table etc.

8bit

Knows the Score
Anyone been to Oktoberfest in Munich?

Im going there at the end of the month and want to know things like how hard is it to get a table etc.

Been to a few in Stuttgart, best to book a table if you can. There are usually some walk-ins in the big tents at opening but you'll need to be early. Also, if you go midweek you've got a better chance.

The_Poet

Banned
Been to a few in Stuttgart, best to book a table if you can. There are usually some walk-ins in the big tents at opening but you'll need to be early. Also, if you go midweek you've got a better chance.

Cool, we are getting there Wednesday morning so hopefully should be ok

NinjaBoiX

For SmokyDave...

rJmwq7g.jpg

RIP in pieces buddy.

Also...

Don't worry, Kojima stopped giving a fuck about the story, so should you. Just play it for the gameplay.

MGS V is all about the gameplay. It's like the anti-Metal Gear.

MGSV goes for extremely long stretches without plot of any sort. It's a gameplay focused game, and if you think it's fun jump in.
Not gonna lie, but I am tempted by this game now. Ground Zeros did control quite well, and if the cut scenes are sporadic and blissfully short I reckon I could dig this.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For SmokyDave...

rJmwq7g.jpg

RIP in pieces buddy.

What happened?

Not gonna lie, but I am tempted by this game now. Ground Zeros did control quite well, and if the cut scenes are sporadic and blissfully short I reckon I could dig this.

The gameplay is the best in the series, hands down. I'm about this far away from claiming it as the best stealth game ever (yes, that includes Chaos Theory), but it is a bit too early to tell.

The opening is pretty cutscene heavy but it is an incredible spectacle nonetheless.

Mr. Sam

A permanent ban seems harsh. He's in GAF heaven now. I didn't always agree with him but he was the weirdest of things - a user of an internet message board with a distinctive voice.

Tbh his posts were getting increasingly angry, in that 'I'm middle aged and read the express' kind of way.

Silly post to end on too.

Rip in pieces.

Mikeside

Dave was always abrasive, but in a lovely way where you couldn't really disagree with anything he said.

Top bloke with an awesome wife & baby. He's not missing out on much here. (though if he's reading this then he should be posting in the whatsapp group more)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Bye Dave, you were one of the good ones :'(.

-

Cancelling a pre-order with Game is a bloody nightmare. been on hold for 16 minutes so far...all I want to do is cancel my Destiny Taken King CE!!!

...and it's done.

I'm having another operation on Monday so no smoking this weekend or today grrr but also means I will be doped up and on enforced do nothing which obvs means a bit of game time.

And in that regard...

Bloodborne is over and done with for me now, got the platinum. It's a good game and I recommend it!

Can't get into Super Time Force Ultra which is weird as I thought I would.

I almost bought Phantom Pain but instead decided to buy two indie games - the Escapists and Volume. Both seem interesting so far. And I went and played Ground Zeroes for a bit instead which reminded me that although I loved MGS1 when I was 16 (or younger?! I have no idea) it's just not my thing anymore.

So I'm currently playing Shadow of the Colossus (just over halfway through) which is obviously really fascinating and alternately thrilling, infuriating and very calming. And Everybody's Gone to the Rapture which I'm undecided about so far, although I want to see it through to the end, which I guess says something. And then last night I played the first couple of hours of Alien Isolation in the dark with headphones and taking it very slowly (not found the Alien yet, well my PC hasn't...if you know what I mean). The environment design is incredible, so much detail and I'm loving the slow pacing too. Apparently it peaks in the next few hours and then gradually runs out of steam but I'm hoping it'll keep me as enthralled as it has so far.

There you go.

NinjaBoiX

Dave is "my kind of peeps", to qoute that great movie The Shawshank Redemption (come on, don't pretend it's not a modern classic):

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice, but still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

This one's for you David:

ItJ4UxT.jpg

Edit: Best of wishes sploatee, you're also one of the good ones. I truly mean that.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
So I'm currently playing Shadow of the Colossus (just over halfway through) which is obviously really fascinating and alternately thrilling, infuriating and very calming.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favourite games. I've played very few games that I just seem to instantly click with ya know?
I know I haven't posted in here for a while but really hope you've been keeping OK sploatee. All the best.

Also RIP Dave, I hardly knew ye (Infact didn't know ye but was aware of ye)

Ashes

Banned
Hmm. Had a minor car accident today. Usually this is supposed to make you think about life etc. Right now, I'm thinking.. nothing.

For September I decided I was going to write a couple of hundreds words everyday. And see what happens.
Yesterday I was thinking how my life was boring. and that wannabe writer's lives ought not to be so boring. But in my case, I thought, whilst my own life is boring, we live in such turbulent times, that there's much to write about everyone else.

And now I'm writing about myself.

edit: If you want to know what happens or goes through someone's mind a few hours after they've had a minor accident. You can read it here:
September 4.
Quote this post to reveal the password. It is completely unedited.

There is no real attempt to see a wider context to life and everything. As would have happened had I been writing this as a story rather a non-fiction piece.

Re-reading what I wrote, it seems to be directly related to the accident and wider implications of that. Rather than pondering on the idea that I could be dead or something. Unlikely as it was in my incident. Maybe I might be thinking of that stuff tomorrow? who knows.

That's an interesting piece of writing. You say you don't think it's a racial incident but I can really feel your emotion building when you're talking about that particular aspect, your words kind of at odds with the writing itself. That's not a criticism - like I say, it makes it very interesting.

For September I decided I was going to write a couple of hundreds words everyday. And see what happens.

I did that once... for about three years. Threw five hundred words a day onto a blog, mostly just tiny stories that didn't go anywhere but I didn't care, it was just a really cool habit to be in.

Since I stopped I basically haven't been creative at all aside from winning NaNoWriMo last year. Currently trying to decide whether to have another crack at it.

Ashes

Banned
That's an interesting piece of writing. You say you don't think it's a racial incident but I can really feel your emotion building when you're talking about that particular aspect, your words kind of at odds with the writing itself. That's not a criticism - like I say, it makes it very interesting.

Interesting. I'm trying to be 'mindful' - read: be consciously and deliberately be aware of my emotions as I feel them - because I read recently that helps.

But all I'm feeling is kinda numb. My brother was very animated over that aspect. But that's different to how I'm feeling. Perhaps I was resonating him. Trying to show truthfully that I do empathise with his position on the matter. That's all I got.

Either that, or I'm not best placed to decide how it is I am actually feeling. If that makes sense. Which in a funny kind of way would probably be normal. But I'm no doctor.

Currently trying to decide whether to have another crack at it.

Do. If you're even remotely thinking of having another crack at it, I'd say just go ahead and do it.

Maybe read it back in a couple of days when the shock has worn off. You'll see that the first half is very matter-of-fact, very short sentences, almost like bullet points. Then when you start talking about race, the pace changes entirely, it feels a lot more animated.

Do. If you're even remotely thinking of having another crack at it, I'd say just go ahead and do it.

I should, I'm not sure if I have a story in me. I didn't really have one before but I managed to ramble enough about some dumb kid to get to 50,000 words, but I feel like if I'm going to commit to it again it's because I want to have something worthy in mind. I'd certainly need to plan and construct something better than I did before. I kinda rocked up on November 1st with the vaguest idea in mind and it went nowhere. It was really funny in places, but ultimately trash.

Ashes

Banned
Maybe read it back in a couple of days when the shock has worn off. You'll see that the first half is very matter-of-fact, very short sentences, almost like bullet points. Then when you start talking about race, the pace changes entirely, it feels a lot more animated.

I see. Noted. Will do.

I kinda rocked up on November 1st with the vaguest idea in mind and it went nowhere. It was really funny in places, but ultimately trash.

The way it goes sometimes. Isn't it? You're a pantser by nature. I've moved to this side of the spectrum over the last few years.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hope you're feeling ok, Ashes.

-

Well, after finishing Ground Zeroes I caved and got Phantom Pain. Here we go....

I'm digging the soundtrack for MGSV so much. Easily one of my favourite soundtracks in any game ever and I'm sure there are tons of cassettes for me still to find.

Billy Idol, Ultravox, Europe, A-Ha, Spandau Ballet...

Fucking about in the open world is such a blast when you have that stuff playing.

Had an awesome moment this morning. I'd set "True" to play from the helicopter speakers and had called the helicopter to extract a prisoner. Picture the scene: it's night time, I'm running up a hill with a dude slung over my shoulder when I hear the sound of rotor blades and a distant "ha ha-ha ha haaaa". As the helicopter descends it kicks up dust from the scrub and the force of the air is pushing grass and shrubs flat. As I move forward to load the prisoner I hear "THIS IS THE SOOOOUND OF MY SOOOUL".

The game is 10/10 for allowing such a situation to happen.

8bit

Knows the Score
You're making it sound like Metal Gear Vice City. Kind of disappointing to miss out on it, but I cannot play any of the MG games, I have no patience for stealth and there's never enough weaponry to go elephanting around.

You're making it sound like Metal Gear Vice City. Kind of disappointing to miss out on it, but I cannot play any of the MG games, I have no patience for stealth and there's never enough weaponry to go elephanting around.

You can just go flat out Rambo you know, though doing so will make baby Jesus cry. The game generously caters to it actually, with a large arsenal of assualt rifles, sub machienguns, shotguns, grenade launchers, light machineguns and rocket launchers. It's funny because for someone like me who prefers to go stealthy there's all these things I have to convince myself not to use.

Mikeside

You can just go flat out Rambo you know, though doing so will make baby Jesus cry. The game generously caters to it actually, with a large arsenal of assualt rifles, sub machienguns, shotguns, grenade launchers, light machineguns and rocket launchers. It's funny because for someone like me who prefers to go stealthy there's all these things I have to convince myself not to use.

This is my eternal struggle in MGS.

I thought 4 had a great selection of guns for the moments where you want to mess shit up

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
V is more about being proactive rather than passively analysing guard behaviour and patterns. There are a massive amount of lethal and non-lethal, stealthy or non-stealthy approaches to situations. Sometimes it is advantageous to set off an alarm so that the enemies start investigating/attacking one area then using that to sneak round the other side.

It is staggering how many options and approaches there are.

Reknoc

I feel sorry for that one guard at an outpost that was a D rank in a place full of B+'s with skills who is going to wake up and be the only guy there :(

Top Bottom