• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You're making it sound like Metal Gear Vice City. Kind of disappointing to miss out on it, but I cannot play any of the MG games, I have no patience for stealth and there's never enough weaponry to go elephanting around.

It caters for the elephantine player, perhaps a little more so than it does stealthy mice. I'm eking (pun intended) my way through quietly on the main missions - not that you have to - and pretty bullet happy in the side ops. It's probably one of the best controlling TPS games I've played. Very responsive with a ton of options.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It caters for the elephantine player, perhaps a little more so than it does stealthy mice. I'm eking (pun intended) my way through quietly on the main missions - not that you have to - and pretty bullet happy in the side ops. It's probably one of the best controlling TPS games I've played. Very responsive with a ton of options.

Aggression in the side ops is the way to go. There are no punishments for being seen (besides, people being aware of your presence obviously) so I run around with a revolver and the battle armour looking like a cool marshmallow.

Aggression in the side ops is the way to go. There are no punishments for being seen (besides, people being aware of your presence obviously) so I run around with a revolver and the battle armour looking like a cool marshmallow.

Yeah I let loose and massacre encampments on side ops sometimes, its a good way to balance the stealth/shooter aspects.

Why the name change by the way?

I posted when it was rumour so might as well post now it's fact - Moyles back on breakfast, 2 weeks time as XFM becomes Radio X.

I'm mostly glad this is announced as it's been the worst kept secret in the radio industry in ages.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I can second what everyone's saying out MGS. It's only something I'm playing casually, but it's the first MGS I've played where I feel empowered to do what I want (I struggle with the MGS2/3 controls). It's just a fun sandbox game. I love fultoning animals!

The two games that I really want to gush about are Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Alien Isolation...I held off on Alien as I was concerned about it becoming repetitive. It may yet do that, but I'm up to the 5th chapter of 18 and "shit has just begun to get real". I've never played a game which has made me feel so tense and as an Alien nerd, I'm just loving all the tiny details in the environment (still). Being hunted by the Alien is incredibly intense and I (so far) love the measured pace of the game. Hope it lasts!

And as for Rapture, I know it's divisive but - aside from a bloody awful saving system (checkpoints are fairly well spaced out and it saves automatically and without warning, meaning you never know how far you are from being able to take a break) - it's really something beautiful, provided you don't mind taking your time and soaking up the atmosphere. I think I'm getting near the end, but I want to go back through the village and find all the story I've missed. It's really moving and so far I've had one or two moments that I don't think I'll ever forget. Just hate that saving system!!!!! If you like Gone Home-ish games and you are not in a hurry (I mean it, you have two speeds of movement - very slow walk and slow walk) and also are very sensitive to music, go for it ! (gorgeous soundtrack - like English folk crossed with the orchestration on Radiohead songs).

Oh...and is anyone here on MUBI? Watched Elephante Blanco today, it was amazing...and they've just added Clouzot's Diabolique, which I've always wanted to see. I watched Bicycle Thieves last week too - it was amazing, can't recommend it enough.

8bit

Knows the Score
Alien is probably the most perfectly atmospheric game ever and the alien itself is kind of stressful but it's the working joes that are total bastards. I think I really want something halfway between that and Everyone's Gone To The Rapture.

Everyone's Gone To The Nostromo if you will.

BTW, you should look for The Icicle Thief on MUBI.

Alien is probably the most perfectly atmospheric game ever and the alien itself is kind of stressful but it's the working joes that are total bastards. I think I really want something halfway between that and Everyone's Gone To The Rapture.

Ruined the game for me. Felt like a chore getting past them.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

Why do I keep thinking this is some sort of Bioshock spin off?

The_Poet

Banned
I posted when it was rumour so might as well post now it's fact - Moyles back on breakfast, 2 weeks time as XFM becomes Radio X.

I'm mostly glad this is announced as it's been the worst kept secret in the radio industry in ages.

Moyles was OK but it was obvious Radio 1 stopped him doing what he wanted.

I hope xfm give him more freedom. I'm still waiting for another breakthrough xfm DJ like Russel Brand or Ricky Gervais

the issue is if you want to come watch you have to pay £10 and as it's fine to charge you multiple times as you're always well budgeted it'll cost you about £1000 that alright?

If you're giving me that extra £990 back plus any charges I accrue then yeah, we're cool, I can afford that right now.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Does he seem the murderer type?

Yes.

-----

It's a Pixies pop quiz, hotshot! Play game wiv me!

Bossanova or Doolittle?
Planet of Sound or Rock Music?
Dead or I Bleed?
Pod or Last Splash?
Steve Albini or Gil Norton
Joey or Kim?
Black Francis or Frank Black or "Charles"?
[insert favourite Pixies song: CANNOT BE MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN OR WHERE IS MY MIND OR DEBASER]

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
a Pixies pop quiz, hotshot! Play game wiv me!

Bossanova or Doolittle?
Dead or I Bleed?
Pod or Last Splash?
Joey or Kim?
[insert favourite Pixies song: CANNOT BE MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN OR WHERE IS MY MIND OR DEBASER]

Doolittle
Planet of Sound
Dead
Never followed Kim Deal's post-Pixies stuff
Steve Albini (of course)
Joey, I guess?
Black Francis
Bone Machine/Hey/In Heaven

NinjaBoiX

Yes.

-----

It's a Pixies pop quiz, hotshot! Play game wiv me!

Bossanova or Doolittle?
Dead or I Bleed?
Pod or Last Splash?
Joey or Kim?
Bossanova (second only to Trompe le Monde as my fav Pixies album)
Planet of Sound (all day)
I Bleed (I dunno)
Last Splash (I Just Want To Get Along, lawd)
Gil ('cos)
Kim (sploat, please)
Black Francis (he is the greatest, Seus!)
Gigantic (Deal with it)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
See, that's Wave of Mutilation vs. Velouria and I can't make that choice.

But you must!

Doolittle
Planet of Sound
Dead
Never followed Kim Deal's post-Pixies stuff
Steve Albini (of course)
Joey, I guess?
Black Francis
Bone Machine/Hey/In Heaven

All good!

Bossanova (second only to Trompe le Monde as my fav Pixies album)
Planet of Sound (all day)
I Bleed (I dunno)
Last Splash (I Just Want To Get Along, lawd)
Gil ('cos)
Kim (sploat, please)
Black Francis (he is the greatest, Seus!)
Gigantic (Deal with it)

Gigantic is good!

I only recently listened to Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde (I know, I know). It's like discovering there are two amazing Beatles albums you forgot about! :D

--

MGS is getting its hooks into me, mainly by making me laugh. C4 on guards...airlifting goats...destroying a whole village so I can extract a lost sheep...it's mega daft and really quite lovable.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I only recently listened to Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde (I know, I know). It's like discovering there are two amazing Beatles albums you forgot about! :D

--

MGS is getting its hooks into me, mainly by making me laugh. C4 on guards...airlifting goats...destroying a whole village so I can extract a lost sheep...it's mega daft and really quite lovable.

I forgot 'Motorway to Roswell'.

How about C4+Goats+Fulton+Enemy Helicopter? You know it makes sense.

Reknoc

oh man, i haven't even thought to try sticking c4 to people.

Quiet is the best bud, my only problem with her is that she's too good. Doing one of the side ops where I'm looking for someone and I set Quiet to cover and she tranqs the entire base. Then I'm all "wait I should interrogate one of these dudes to find out where the guy I'm looking for it" so I kick him awake, Quiet immediately shoots him back to sleep. This goes on 3 or 4 times before I just take her off cover fire.

All he told me was the location of some materials.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I forgot 'Motorway to Roswell'.

How about C4+Goats+Fulton+Enemy Helicopter? You know it makes sense.

Quiet is the best bud, my only problem with her is that she's too good. Doing one of the side ops where I'm looking for someone and I set Quiet to cover and she tranqs the entire base. Then I'm all "wait I should interrogate one of these dudes to find out where the guy I'm looking for it" so I kick him awake, Quiet immediately shoots him back to sleep. This goes on 3 or 4 times before I just take her off cover fire.

Hahaha!

I've only just gained the ability to make my horse poop.

I'm playing the game as the saviour of all goats and sheep. I did manage to airlift a bear too.

It's so silly!

I like doing that, knocking them out, then kicking them in the head, interrogating them then throwing them into a wall again.

That or throwing an unconscious dude into someone else during reflex mode.

Reknoc

Bears are the worst.

All video game bears are the worst

like there was some sort of secret game developer illuminati that all decided that bears should take like a billion million hits to kill and do enough damage to one shot the player.

I like doing that, knocking them out, then kicking them in the head, interrogating them then throwing them into a wall again.

I'll need to try that last one. Throwing is usually my go to method to getting prisoners out of buildings. "thank you boss" *chucks him out the window* "boss he's too weak to attempt to fulton" *chucks him out the window*

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

bodysnatchers1.jpg

Nah, I'm kidding. I usually love slow-mo in games but it feels wrong in Metal Gear. I may regret that decision when I hit the FoBs.

Bears are the worst.

All video game bears are the worst

like there was some sort of secret game developer illuminati that all decided that bears should take like a billion million hits to kill and do enough damage to one shot the player.

The more I think about this the more I realise it's true. Bears fucking suck. Whether it's the ones that can withstand hundreds of hits in Dragon Age Inquisition or that motherfucker in Condemned, they all suck. Even Kuma.

Nah, I'm kidding. I usually love slow-mo in games but it feels wrong in Metal Gear. I may regret that decision when I hit the FoBs.

Its saved my bacon enough times. I'll probably turn it off when I replay the game later but I'm content to keep it for now.

#justcasualthings

Stalk

Sup Britgaf.

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc)
Cambridge
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to?
Software Engineer
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end?
Anything.
Favourite daytime TV show?
Fish or chips?
You have both surely!
Daddy or chips?
Chips.
What's your tipple of choice?
Quite partial to Crabbies spiced ginger wine at the season, otherwise I'll drink whatever is put in front of me.
Favourite party snack?
Onion rings, the crisps. Not the cooked kind. Some people seem to have a hard time differentiating them...
Who is the best bald person?
Phil MItchell
What's your disappointing claim to fame?
I met the Chuckle Brothers after seeing them at a stage show. They called me Fireman Sam, my five year old mind decided that I no longer liked them after that. Least I've met two of the people from the BBC that haven't been revealed to be a paedophile yet I guess.
What's your perfect Sunday?
Quiet space and enough time to sit back and relax before work panic sets in.
Did you threaten to overrule him?
Maybe
Did you threaten to overrule him?
Possibly
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him?
I took advice on what I could or could not do.

Top Bottom