• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

4 whole days with no posts? Blimey, Britgaf really is on its deathbed.

Anyway, any Britgaffers here based in or near Leeds?
Sheffield, which isn't hugely near but it's closer than London.

Speaking of, I'm on a train from London to Sheffield right now. I'm in first class which is nice and having a cup of tea.

So with not much to do, I'll do an update to try and show life. Big changes at work, getting a bit of a promotion, and on Friday got asked if I'd like to go on a trip to New York. Next week. So that's exciting and quick.

I've also ended up as a regular pub quizzer. We've got a little team for some reason named after the Simpsons, "Pin Pals". We're not good, at all, but it's a Monday hobby, got a few regular places. I like a good pub quiz.

So yeah

Sheffield, which isn't hugely near but it's closer than London.

Speaking of, I'm on a train from London to Sheffield right now. I'm in first class which is nice and having a cup of tea.

So with not much to do, I'll do an update to try and show life. Big changes at work, getting a bit of a promotion, and on Friday got asked if I'd like to go on a trip to New York. Next week. So that's exciting and quick.

I've also ended up as a regular pub quizzer. We've got a little team for some reason named after the Simpsons, "Pin Pals". We're not good, at all, but it's a Monday hobby, got a few regular places. I like a good pub quiz.

So yeah

Dont suppose you're going to Thought Bubble?

Is it a Virgin train? First class is the best. Congrats on the promotion and New York trip! Super awesome stuff.

Not heading to that alas.

And this one's East Midlands. Virgin East Coast is good though. I like a nice first class journey - but only ever do it if work pay. The missus has a big thing against first class, that it's not worth the money but more importantly that everyone should have a better service.

Not heading to that alas.

And this one's East Midlands. Virgin East Coast is good though. I like a nice first class journey - but only ever do it if work pay. The missus has a big thing against first class, that it's not worth the money but more importantly that everyone should have a better service.

Ah I'm the opposite, my work won't fork out for first class, but if I'm going anywhere and I book far enough in advance first class is often only £10-£20 more, worth it for the food and drinks

Oh my god I just realised you can move the seat forward and effectively make it recline in the East Midlands first class why have I never done this before, and I've got this exact train so many times

NinjaBoiX

Making plans with some pals to go to Snowboxx in Avoriaz in March. I've never been on a skiing holiday and the line up looks decent. Should be a laugh, really looking forward to it.

Went to Simon Rogan's Manchester restaurant (Mr Cooper's House & Garden) with my folks yesterday, best meal I've had in years.

I got an iPhone 6S because I lost my phone on Friday, it's kinda nifty.

Just watched Limitless. I enjoyed it, fun movie.

It's Soul Jam at Mint on Thursday.

I'm a happy camper.

Big love.

I got called an idiot by someone at work today for the dual crime of believing a) in the theory of evolution, and b) that George W. Bush wasn't responsible for 9/11.

NinjaBoiX

Gonna be in Manchester at the end of the month for work training. Any cool places to check out during the evenings?
Food:

Akbars
Try Thai
Mr Coopers

Cocktails:

Apotheca
Bluu
The Alchemist

Music:

Deaf Institute
Gorilla
Sound Control

Lovable Dives:

The Thirsty Scholar
Soup Kitchen
The Temple

Just A Nice Pint:

Marble
Gullivers
The Castle

Other Places of Note:

Mint Lounge Innit :p

Give me a shout bro, we'll catch up!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Gonna be in Manchester at the end of the month for work training. Any cool places to check out during the evenings?

If you like books - chapter one - amazing for coffee and cake with added typewriters

If you like hippies - nexus art cafe - bit like a common room for the peaceful

If you like veggie food - V revolution - amazing vegan take on fast food

If you need breakfast - koffee pot - recommend the shakshouka

If you like kitsch - Oklahoma - fancy cafe and shop (also veggie)

For drinks - hmmm - the temple is good. The rest for me are canal st bars, but if you fancy it, oscars is fun - nothing but musicials. I also like napoleons, which is basically how the gay village was 40 years ago and just as seedy (amazing for people watching)

For good film / nice place - home - was the cornerhouse

Go to Piccadilly records!

That's basically my Manchester right there and I have exquisite taste.

Give me a shout if you want a plus one

SKINNER!

Banned
Nice one! Cheers for the recommendations :) Yeah, I'm thinking of a catch up session on the Thursday since it'll be my last night. My hotel is gonna be sorted out at the end of tge week so at least I'll know if I'll be central.

NinjaBoiX

giphy.gif

CCS

Banned
I didn't think I'd like Babymetal, but at Reading this year....yeah they were actually incredibly good

I was there last year too.
Why didn't we know we were both there?!

I love me some Babymetal.

Also, Skindred were awesome. Great show, talked about Paris for a bit really well. Newport Helicopter remains ridiculously fun.

Qasiel

I love me some Babymetal.

Also, Skindred were awesome. Great show, talked about Paris for a bit really well. Newport Helicopter remains ridiculously fun.

Someone I know was there tonight and posted pictures up on FB. Looked like a great show and I'm kinda envious I couldn't go (I love Skindred).

Nodnol

Hey Brit-GAF,

Moving to my first place beginning of December; bit later than I had hoped but what you going to do.

My place is opposite the phone exchange, and the village has fibre optic; is it worth it?

I have the budget for it, but part of me is torn between two extremes; either save as much as possible and just get bog-standard broadband, or go all out and get Sky too. I'm thinking the sensible thing would be to just get the broadband sorted, settle in for a month or two and reassess how I'm finding it each week.

Any advice welcome, I've got a feeling I'm about to have a major shock to the system, but I'm so fucking excited.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
For drinks - hmmm - the temple is good. The rest for me are canal st bars, but if you fancy it, oscars is fun - nothing but musicials. I also like napoleons, which is basically how the gay village was 40 years ago and just as seedy (amazing for people watching)

Canal Street is king. I don't go out anywhere else.

Due to booking a hotel insanely last minute I ended up staying on Canal Street recently. I want to experience it properly though.

By a wonderful coincidence I'm currently at Canal Street New York. It's not the same, sadly.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I went to Canal street during some pride event last year... wasn't impressed. Didn't see the big deal, but I was probably doing it very wrong.

NinjaBoiX

Canal Street is a proper party atmosphere, I totally get the appeal but it's just not my stamp (NQ for life yo).

Just got home from Chrissy's birthday night out, got to be up in 90 mins for stocktake then a manager's meeting until 6pm.

Kill me now...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Canal Street is a proper party atmosphere, I totally get the appeal but it's just not my stamp (NQ for life yo).

Just got home from Chrissy's birthday night out, got to be up in 90 mins for stocktake then a manager's meeting until 6pm.

Kill me now...

I love the NQ for food! Koffee Pot, V Revs, Nexus and loads more!

Jonathan, you win all the sweets.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
WHEN I PLAY TENNIS I OFTEN USE THE LOB

IT'S JIMMINY JIM JIM AND YOUR BOY MILLBOB!

JIMMINY JIM JIM LAAAAAARRVVEEESS MINECRAFT

HE LAAAAARRRRVVEESS MINECRAFT

MINECRAFT!

Please please people say you watch this!

SKINNER!

Banned
On this day in BRITGAF history:-

tashbrooke said:
Spent the eve helping woman learn lines for her drama performance called "how to disappear completely and never be found" artsy as fuck but pretty cool actually.. Got thermofluids/dynamics this morning and my body actually feels pretty ready, not so much however for work at 6pm.. Think I'm applying to be an RA next year, if I get it I won't have to work behind a bar at all... Which in all honesty kinda rocksss

SuperSah said:
Today has been incredible!

I got a interview for the University of York, my top pick and also a offer from Birmingahm City University!

Two firm offers and a interview at my most wanted to University, not bad at all! :)

sploatee said:
Music wise, I'm still listening to Pink Floyd but have realised that Who's Next is a brilliant album. DRUMS. Also, does anyone like John Fahey? I'm not massively into meditative guitar (although I like playing it) but some of his stuff is just otherworldly in the best possible way. I've also decided that along with Prince I also like modern curmudgeonly Billy Corgan.

Ahand games-wise I've stuck with Mooooordoooooor. I think I have now become so powerful that Sauron himself would quake before my square-square-square-square-square-five times hit combo- X + O attack. I do think it's easily the most overrated game of the year, though. Is it because all of the other AAA games were meant to be terrible? I don't see anything particularly special about it. Even the Nemesis system, while neat, is pretty shallow. The plot is crap, too. It's really just a very thin excuse for wandering around from icon to icon on the map and completing mini tasks. I raise my fist at thee, reviewers and superfans of this game! Ye are celebrating this game as if 'twere the second coming of thy messiah when in troth 'tis but a hairswidth above average! Thy standards have dropped! Care thee not about the quality of our medium? I bit my thumb at thee!

Oh and finally, finally after a year of "art-er's block" I've started work on a new project. Hurrah!

chinner said:
my gf has been secretive about what shes getting me for xmas. today her mum brought round a package that was sent to hers instead of ours..... do you think shes been reading gaf and got me that gaben pillow?

NinjaboiX said:
We met Matt Lees at EG Expo in September.

Well I say we, Mike and Quiche did. I was happy enough pointing in his direction saying "oh look, it's Matt Lees."

HotColdman said:
I tried mentioning this [Doctor Who's 50th special] a few pages back and all the hipsters jumped down my throat, it's a dark place here Fred :(

chinner said:
poor greenscar [Hot Coldman's old username], depsite his efforts the clique still forgets his existence.

JonathanEx said:

KentPaul said:
Seeing a picture with no awesome mountain backdrop is depressing. Living in a flat country must kill your soul a little each time you go outside and see no awesome mountain backdrop.

The only flat country i find acceptable is the Netherlands. Your soul is to stoned to be killed there.

Mikeside said:
Ugh, you northerners and your hills.

Qasiel

The thing is, the cool kids are the ones who aren't in the clique...

That's what I tell myself every night when crying into my pillow

Top Bottom