• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Qasiel

Cheers Mike! I've been waiting to post in that thread for ages and it was nice to finally be able to do so. It's pretty great having a cosy little dedicated area for gaming.

NinjaBoiX

Bloodborne is awesome. Hemwick is so mint, like Albion as imagined by Guillermo del Toro.

I feel like this thread needs a topic of discussion.

Discuss.

Bloodborne? More like Bloodbored.

Everyone should watch Narcos. It's very good.

I also watched Munich recently. It's very good.

There's something about the way the film portrays it's violence that I found, even as a seasoned fan of bloody action films quite shocking. Perhaps it's the pervasive sense of futility that creeps up on you throughout the film or the way it lets you forget that this is all about some Olympic athletes who were murdered and then reminds you, quite brutally.

But there was something else going on beneath the surface in Munich.

That film has a strange thing going on with food, it's like this subtle fixation that keeps propping up. At least three times, the characters refer to Avner (Eric Bana) and his ability to cook. When the team of agents first meet they are all sat eating a meal Eric Bana has made. When Avner meets Louis, his intel source, it is outside a a shop window looking into a model kitchen. This happens several times. Eventually, Avner gets taken to meet Louis' father. So obviously the important conversation is approached sideways as they roll up their sleeves and cook for Louis' entire extended family. As things begin to unravel for the team, there's a scene where they're all stressed out, there's thunder and rain at the windows and no one can summon the appetite to eat this meal Avner has prepared, which consists of like 8 or 9 small dishes. Fearing for his wife and baby, Avner asks her to move to Brooklyn. When he finally gets to visit, she complains that the kitchen is too big. At the end, Avner's Mossad handler, Ephraim (played by Captain Barbossa from PotC) meets him in Brooklyn and asks him to come back to Israel. Avner won't do it but insists that it would only be the Jewish thing to do for Ephraim to come back to Avner's house and let him cook him a meal. Ephraim refuses, and the movie ends. And by the way, there's two seperate scenes where Ephraim talks about baklava.

What could be the hidden message here? It's difficult to say. Personally, I think that it's no coincidence that if you take the "i" out of "Munich" you spell "Munch". Yet another reference to food! Who can say how deep the rabbithole goes?

By no means am I trivialising the quality of the motion picture however. The food thing was just my biggest takeaway from the movie.
Giggity

I have this super-vague memory of these pens you used to be able to buy at the seaside where they had pictures of women in them and then when you flipped them upside-down, they would change and be wearing bras or something.

Only now I can't find any evidence on the internet that these terrible things ever existed. Did I just make them up? It'd be a weird thing to have imagined.

8bit

Knows the Score
I have this super-vague memory of these pens you used to be able to buy at the seaside where they had pictures of women in them and then when you flipped them upside-down, they would change and be wearing bras or something.

Only now I can't find any evidence on the internet that these terrible things ever existed. Did I just make them up? It'd be a weird thing to have imagined.

floaty_pen.jpg

Floaty pens seems to be the term.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, tell me more! Recount to me your adventures so far!!!!

Loving it. Best Souls game so far.

BoM and Chikage build. Did require assistance with VA and ML (stuck on the last one for 4 whole days/gaming sessions). Will get 'em solo on the next playthrough.

Other than that, taking my time and getting through it. Some bits are genuinely unsettling.

I also watched Munich recently. It's very good.

Genius post. Great pay off. 9/10.

Guys my band's new video is up, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUUIq0HbjZE

Groovy!

Liked, favorited and subscribed!(even though you've not subscribed to my channel!!!!)

Nice video moosh, I enjoyed it.

I did subscribe, I'm sure I did. Maybe the button didn't work or something. I'll do it again now.

Edit: I just checked and I am definitely subscribed

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Those pens were the staple gift from uncles and grandparents for adolescent boys. I think I've seen mug versions of them too, that undress as the heat leaves the drink. There's got to be a more creative use for that technology (and probably is, to be fair)

Hey guys, I went to the library today and asked the librarian if she had the book about Pavlov's Dog and Shrodinger's Cat.

She said it rang a bell but she didn't know if it was there or not.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Love the Bloodborne love! My only complaint about it is that it's over.

The frenzy maidens. Ugh. In fact that whole section. Babies, chains, brains, claws. Ugh.

Munich is a good fIlm. Under appreciated. Felt like Spielberg being Jewish distracted from the critique of Israel it was actually making.

Awesome stuff Mush!

The_Poet

Banned
Got round to seeing The Martian, loved it.

Hit all the right Sci-Fi notes without getting bogged down in philosophical 'why are we here' questions. Focused more on the human problems and technical hurdles and the way it tied itself to real life mars missions was cool. It was funny without being silly, believable without being boring and had some great set pieces.

10/10 would see again

CCS

Banned
Hi guys, thought I should pop in here:

Where do you come from? Kent, currently studying in Oxford
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Last year as a student, doing maths
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? Acquiring many dogs.
Favourite daytime TV show? Pointless
Fish or chips? Chips. I will fight you over this.
Daddy or chips? Chips
What's your tipple of choice? White Russians
Favourite party snack? Crisps
Who is the best bald person? Ian Hislop
What's your disappointing claim to fame? Got onto my college's university challenge team once. We then proceeded not to make it onto the programme.
What's your perfect Sunday? Pizza and roast dinner, AFC Wimbledon and Saracens winning the day before, lots of sleep.
Did you threaten to overrule him? I think threaten is the wrong word...
Did you threaten to overrule him? As I said before...
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? Can I get back to you on that?

CCS

Banned
Nice costume :)

Last year I had a mask on that almost killed me, it was so damn hot in there it was like being cooked alive.

NinjaBoiX

My Halloween costume

0EF844B6-3715-49F8-9B3D-D56EABDFFC3C_zps74yo8rl5.jpg
Mint, you look wicked!

I should really dress up for work tomorrow but it's just not my thing. I get the appeal and totally appreciate other people's efforts, it's just not something I can be arsed with.

Just going to wear my usual bland and inoffensive combo of jeans and t shirt then let Chrissy fuck my face up with make up.

Maybe I'll wear a blood red tee just so I can say I made an effort.

Metz were amazing live at Scala, have never headbanged as much ever. Recorded a lot of the set. Now my neck hurts XD

CSwyxM0WcAAD0iH.jpg

Dream House before were great too, in a more relaxing way. Was sitting up in the balcony, seemed right for a dream pop band. Absolutely lovely light show. The vocalist is hilarious, was a great way to spend Halloween and she threw out candy at the end.

CSr4xG9WIAAk-1R.jpg

CSr4xbnW4AEpECS.jpg

Mono, Ghostpoet, and Chelsea Wolfe next on the docket for this November.

Concerts are awesome, you guys.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So...is there any British critics out there rethinking their stance of Spectre after the glut of negative reviews coming from the US?

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
I thought Spectre was pretty 'Meh'. So many good scenes that were spoiled by classic Bond cheese and one liners (which is usually what makes them great) that just felt like they didn't get right at all.

The train scene for example.

I don't know, it was OK, I was pretty underwhelmed.

Top Bottom