• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Thinking about it I have plenty of suitable coats to wear, probably rock my red Element Alder:

an8KspV.jpg

I've got loads of sweaters and hoodies to wear underneath and hats for my baldy bonce so I'll just get some decent, waterproof trousers and a load of thick socks.

Maybe some long johns.

I've always aspired to be the kind of guy that wears long johns.

A ski jacket isn't the same as a normal waterproof jacket. You might get away with it if you have a properly insulated, waterproof and water resistant jacket, but you'll still be missing out on the other features they provide.

It's not a great idea to wear jumpers underneath as you'll probably get too hot. The key to ski clothing is thin layers. A good base layer is pretty essential. And don't just get thick socks, get specific ski socks, they are different.

Qasiel

A ski jacket isn't the same as a normal waterproof jacket. You might get away with it if you have a properly insulated, waterproof and water resistant jacket, but you'll still be missing out on the other features they provide..

Mine has a whistle on the zipper! For "avalanche purposes". Not "annoy commuters" purposes.

NinjaBoiX

A ski jacket isn't the same as a normal waterproof jacket. You might get away with it if you have a properly insulated, waterproof and water resistant jacket, but you'll still be missing out on the other features they provide.

It's not a great idea to wear jumpers underneath as you'll probably get too hot. The key to ski clothing is thin layers. A good base layer is pretty essential. And don't just get thick socks, get specific ski socks, they are different.
OK, cheers mush, I'll look into it.

I just don't want to spend loads of money on specific clothes I'll only wear a handful of times! But I hear what you're saying.

OK, cheers mush, I'll look into it.

I just don't want to spend loads of money on specific clothes I'll only wear a handful of times! But I hear what you're saying.

TK Maxx is really cheap though, you can get trousers for £20 and jackets from £20/£30. It's just worth it to be comfortable, if you don't have the right gear you're gonna have a bad time.

Xun

Is it me or are more and more restaurants adding a 12.5% service charge in London?

A lot of my favourite places are starting to do it... :(

spuckthew

Is it me or are more and more restaurants adding a 12.5% service charge in London?

It's been like this for years. The higher end restaurants have basically always done it, but the mid-range ones are slowly transitioning as well. London is expensive and we don't have a tipping culture like the States does, so maybe it's just their way to give a little something back to the waiting staff. I mean, that's assuming it does in fact go to the waiting staff...

NinjaBoiX

Fuck compulsory service charges, don't presume to dictate to me whether I should tip or not, I'll decide that thanks very much. I'll usually tip anyway but I resent the assumption.

The bar I work at has pretty decent dry sales with an optional 5% service charge tagged onto the bill and the dollies tend to make good tips on top of that. Our head dolly Ali is awesome and often ends her shift with £50+ in her tip cup.

She's probably on more than me and I'm assistant manager...

(Waiting tables is hard man, I couldn't do it as a full-time job!)

I can understand a service charge being applied to functions, like if somebody hires out the whole restaurant or something, but for regular customers, the tip is what you get at the end if nobody fucked up.

A service charge also robs you of the chance to chuck in all the loose change weighing you down.

Xun

It's been like this for years. The higher end restaurants have basically always done it, but the mid-range ones are slowly transitioning as well. London is expensive and we don't have a tipping culture like the States does, so maybe it's just their way to give a little something back to the waiting staff. I mean, that's assuming it does in fact go to the waiting staff...
It just feels wrong to me, even if it's sometimes "optional".

I much prefer to tip.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I remember the days when shit happened

When drama happened

When we were young and had hoped and dreams

Now those hopes have faded

And the dreams forgotten

As if newly woken

Slipping into the ether like the days of our lives

Our thoughts

And our existence