• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Dark Souls is garbage, been playing Resident Evil 4 recently and that's a fantastic game.

Oh and the Hitman Beta. You can see your reflection in mirrors. Mad shit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've never been able to see my reflection in a mirror. I'm the only one deprived of my handsome mug.

NinjaBoiX

Dark Souls is garbage.
Objective opinion:

Dark/Demon's Souls/Bloodborne is a fantastic franchise with a great deal to offer to the industry at large.

BUT, it's also straight up broken in a lot of ways and the "wow, it's a hard game in an era of handholding corridor shooters" mindset seem to forgive this on unconditional merit.

It's a brave, unique, groundbreaking series with a lot to admire; but it's also a cheap, artificially difficult and poorly executed product that gets a pass because it breaks the mould.

Objective opinion:

Dark/Demon's Souls/Bloodborne is a fantastic franchise with a great deal to offer to the industry at large.

BUT, it's also straight up broken in a lot of ways and the "wow, it's a hard game in an era of handholding corridor shooters" mindset seem to forgive this on unconditional merit.

It's a brave, unique, groundbreaking series with a lot to admire; but it's also a cheap, artificially difficult and poorly executed product that gets a pass because it breaks the mould.

The games are great IMO, my favourite is dark. Demon was great too buy dark was the best. They need to mix it up a bit now as its getting to be a bit more of the same.

Reknoc

Not really finding Dark Souls to feel cheap or artificially difficult, even if some things are annoying if you're getting killed by them then you're doing something wrong.

Britgaf, i'm considering a job proposal in a company in london that would give me more or less 3,8k pound net per month..
My rule is to never exceed 30% of the income for rent, thus i'm in the 1300 pound/month area..
I'd like zone2 or something similar in the proximity (or max 30 min commute) of canary wharf..
I'm looking for a decent house (seriously no spelunky.. I'm leaving a nice apartment, so i'd aiming to a place ameniable to stay in after a long day of work) , absolutely NOT LESS than 60 sqm (frankly i'd love a 2br apt, but let's say i can make do)..
But the more i browse renting site the more i end up demoralized..
Is my target that far from "market price" so to speak?
I was under the impression that the median income aftertas in london is like 2,5k or a bit more, so i cannot seriously understand the prices..

Britgaf, i'm considering a job proposal in a company in london that would give me more or less 3,8k pound net per month..
My rule is to never exceed 30% of the income for rent, thus i'm in the 1300 pound/month area..
I'd like zone2 or something similar in the proximity (or max 30 min commute) of canary wharf..
I'm looking for a decent house (seriously no spelunky.. I'm leaving a nice apartment, so i'd aiming to a place ameniable to stay in after a long day of work) , absolutely NOT LESS than 60 sqm (frankly i'd love a 2br apt, but let's say i can make do)..
But the more i browse renting site the more i end up demoralized..
Is my target that far from "market price" so to speak?
I was under the impression that the median income aftertas in london is like 2,5k or a bit more, so i cannot seriously understand the prices..

Most of Greater London is within 30 minutes commute of zone 1 so look further afield? It'll be nicer.

Most of Greater London is within 30 minutes commute of zone 1 so look further afield? It'll be nicer.
I understand your point, but my point/rant is..
Given how the median london income is 2,6k pound, and i'm offered more than that, how can people in london afford an house?
Or what's the concept of house for the "normal" london citizen? Because if i were to follow my 30% ratio, i should be living in a 50 sqm apt which in all honesty at 32 would feel
1) cramped (i'm no fresh grad... )
2) sort of a slap towards my hard working first during the bachelor&master and for those 5 years i've worked as a consultant..
I mean, do londoners in their 30s all live/adapt to those apartments? Or my offered wage is low?

Mikeside

Tbh I think a lot of Londoners suck it up. It's a shit situation.

Would you consider commuting into London? You'll get a lot more for your money

Tbh I think a lot of Londoners suck it up. It's a shit situation.

Would you consider commuting into London? You'll get a lot more for your money
Frankly more than 30 min commute it out of question.. I've been commuting 2 hours a day during my bachelor/master and i promise myself "never again"..
If the commute is included in the work time it's fine though, but i'd rather to avoid long commutes on a staple basic... (Eg: i'm in slovenia eu agency atm, my travel time to and from will be removed from my next working days when i'm back in milan, provided it happened before 8 or later than 18:30)
I'm not One of those workers that live by the watch (as in i set my own deadlines and i prefer clearing them EARLIER with some overwork rather than ontime, being a team leader i'm expected to monitor other members of the team as well), as a consequence i prefer to live nearby the Office so that overworking leaves me anyway a lot of spare time, and conversely i can wake up later in the morning.
For reference when i'm not abroad, i live 1,2 km from the Office :z

Anyway i'm taken aback..
People in italy always say "go to germany or uk to get a lot more"..
Factoring in munich expenses and taxes the 60k i got offered in munich felt inadequate..
Even the prospective pay for this job in london is not that great, it only becomes good with the advantages of the job (lessened tax burden and expat allowance)..
I mean i held out in Milan and and got an house which is way smaller (68 sqm) than the One i own in my home town..
But from the gist of it, after 5 successfull years of work i'm looking at an apartment which is even smaller than my previous one if i want to improve my savings.. The only saving grace of the job is the relevance of the employer..

spuckthew

Unless you want to live in a dive, Zone 2 will be nearly impossible on £1.3K pcm. I live in a very nice and spacious one-bed, in a pleasant area to boot, in Zone 6 for £1080 pcm, and it only takes 20 minutes to get into Waterloo. Three fast trains per hour and a handful of slower trains (still ~30 min though) make living this far out extremely easy. The only downer is the monthly Oyster is like £250.

I live in zone 4 and it takes me 30 mins to get to Canary Wharf. I have a 3 bed flat for £850 a month. That is ridiculously cheap though and you'd be unlikely to find something similar.

It sounds like you're saying you want to live on your own in a nice flat in zone 2 for £1,300 a month. This would be verging on impossible. You're right in that your salary is pretty good, a lot of people do earn less than that. But most people don't live on their own, they house share or live with partners. Also most people who work in London commute in, few people can afford prices in central London.

spuckthew

I live in zone 4 and it takes me 30 mins to get to Canary Wharf. I have a 3 bed flat for £850 a month. That is ridiculously cheap though and you'd be unlikely to find something similar.

Man that's cheap. Some of the areas around the Croydon-Norwood Junction area can be quite cheap in the south of London, but I've never seen anywhere that cheap (relatively speaking). I'm guessing you live west or north?

It sounds like you're saying you want to live on your own in a nice flat in zone 2 for £1,300 a month. This would be verging on impossible. You're right in that your salary is pretty good, a lot of people do earn less than that. But most people don't live on their own, they house share or live with partners. Also most people who work in London commute in, few people can afford prices in central London.
So i guess that my understanding was more or less correct..
Much appreciated for all your advices and opinions guys!

Oh well we'll see on the beginning of march how the last round goes..
Unfortunately it's sort of a semi-public job, so i would have some serious benefits (really low tax rate, expat allowance) , but the base pay amount is pretty much set in stone (i might get 200 pounds more than expected per month due to some additional consideration) with no real negotiations.
Again we'll see.
I'll hop in this thread supposedly during last days of march, which is the date for the feedback related to the last round of interview (that tales place in early march).

I'm sorry for bothering you guys, but i'm a generally prudent man and i try to evaluate care fully my next moves (in terms of working opportunities) this i'm gathering hard facts about the aftereffect of moving to london (from a pure financial pov)

Volotaire

This discussion on commute times to and from central London partly makes me excited for HS2, as much as disliked the government's decision to invest into the project. With commute times falling to 49 minutes to and from Birmingham, from 1 hour 20 ish on the fastest Virgin trains, it will allow for interesting geographical mobililty in the future.

I hope they split it into semi - affordable consumer and business class prices.

Mikeside

So i guess that my understanding was more or less correct..
Much appreciated for all your advices and opinions guys!

Oh well we'll see on the beginning of march how the last round goes..
Unfortunately it's sort of a semi-public job, so i would have some serious benefits (really low tax rate, expat allowance) , but the base pay amount is pretty much set in stone (i might get 200 pounds more than expected per month due to some additional consideration) with no real negotiations.
Again we'll see.
I'll hop in this thread supposedly during last days of march, which is the date for the feedback related to the last round of interview (that tales place in early march).

I'm sorry for bothering you guys, but i'm a generally prudent man and i try to evaluate care fully my next moves (in terms of working opportunities) this i'm gathering hard facts about the aftereffect of moving to london (from a pure financial pov)

Don't be silly.

I don't know how quickly you'd get into Canary Wharf from outside London, but I think you could easily do it within an hour from some places.

Have you thought about house sharing at all?

Man that's cheap. Some of the areas around the Croydon-Norwood Junction area can be quite cheap in the south of London, but I've never seen anywhere that cheap (relatively speaking). I'm guessing you live west or north?

Yeah I know I'm really lucky, it's a really nice area too. North East, on the central line.

Jezbollah

This discussion on commute times to and from central London partly makes me excited for HS2, as much as disliked the government's decision to invest into the project. With commute times falling to 49 minutes to and from Birmingham, from 1 hour 20 ish on the fastest Virgin trains, it will allow for interesting geographical mobililty in the future.

I hope they split it into semi - affordable consumer and business class prices.

The problem with HS2, with regards to regular commuting, is that the premium the train companies will put on you using the high speed service. My friend lives in Maidstone, and he has the choice of getting HS1 to St Pancras or the normal branch like to Victoria.

A normal season ticket is roughly £3500 (excluding zones) into Victoria. Add £1000 for the HS services to St Pancras.

Don't be silly.

I don't know how quickly you'd get into Canary Wharf from outside London, but I think you could easily do it within an hour from some places.

Have you thought about house sharing at all?

From my personal experience of living on the two major lines into Liverpool St and Fenchurch Street, it's 50 minutes from Southend into both (East Ham on C2C and Stratford on Greater Anglia). Add on the 10-15 minute Jubilee line (or DLR) to Canary Wharf and yeah it's an hour. Looking at £3500-£3750 per annum though

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I understand your point, but my point/rant is..
Given how the median london income is 2,6k pound, and i'm offered more than that, how can people in london afford an house?
Or what's the concept of house for the "normal" london citizen? Because if i were to follow my 30% ratio, i should be living in a 50 sqm apt which in all honesty at 32 would feel
1) cramped (i'm no fresh grad... )
2) sort of a slap towards my hard working first during the bachelor&master and for those 5 years i've worked as a consultant..
I mean, do londoners in their 30s all live/adapt to those apartments? Or my offered wage is low?

They spend more than 30% of their income. Or live in a smaller place. Or live further away. They have little choice usually.

You have the relative luxury of a decent income. I don't know why you've set yourself such firm and seemingly arbitrary limits on how much you're willing to pay and how long you're willing to commute without understanding the underlying property market first. But I think you may get away with it because your income is enough. If not, you will have to consider paying more or living further out.

They spend more than 30% of their income. Or live in a smaller place. Or live further away. They have little choice usually.

You have the relative luxury of a decent income. I don't know why you've set yourself such firm and seemingly arbitrary limits on how much you're willing to pay and how long you're willing to commute without understanding the underlying property market first. But I think you may get away with it because your income is enough. If not, you will have to consider paying more or living further out.
1) low commute time.. Life is short, i work a lot, i want to enjoy every second of my non-working time.. Allegedly, 2 hours total commute for working seems a terrible choice...
2) i work to get something..
Say 100% is my total income..
30% rent
10 % utilities
10% commute (if the location is zone 2 male it 5)
10% food (realistically 6-7)
10% going out (realistically 5-7)
10% random (phone utilities+ un expected expenses)
20% savings
This is a reasonable plan for london.. To give you some context my current situation is rent+utilities=20%... I actually save close to 5% of my income every month since i spend 30 eur/month for commute too.. Plus i have two additional wages per year that i put away on 50% (half of extra summer wage for summer vacation, half of extra christmas wage for christmas gift)

Say you move the mark to 40% rent.. Then remove extra wages, factor in extra costs and become a mess..
Atm i save close to 1200*12 + 2400. Meaning 15k eur//10k pound..
Sticking to that plan but being lax and accepting 40% on rent alone..
Rounding down some other expenses taking the lower brackets, i see myself at around 1k pound saved per month, but more maybe, which adds up to a 12k pound per year... The difference after everything is accounted for, in terms of savings is.. Abysmal :/
Which leads to the question whether it' Sto arrivando! Solid choice or not :/

Most people in London can't save anything. All my friends who've bought their own homes recently had to move in with their parents so they could afford to save for a deposit.

Mikeside

Yeah, I think if you're going to work in London, you have to either accept that you're not going to be saving anything/much, you have to house-share or you have to commute.

You can't have it all, unfortunately. Though rail links are getting better, so commuting is going to be more and more viable (which is entirely needed with the prices skyrocketing even in traditionally dirt cheap areas of London)

Most people in London can't save anything. All my friends who've bought their own homes recently had to move in with their parents so they could afford to save for a deposit.

yeah but honestly, do you think it a solid approach?
living a life without saving anything?
rent-for-life PLUS nothing in the bank account seems to me a recipe for disaster..
but maybe it's just me...

let me be clear this is NOT me criticizing you guys, it's more about assessing the situation..
I cannot really fathom "living" for the sake of living..
you live to save some, for your family, for your dream, for your future..
if i don't save anything, what's even the point of working? to scrap by on a day by day basis? if i wanted to do that, I could have just been working as a cocktail guy somewhere and not work my ass out around the world :)

Mikeside

yeah but honestly, do you think it a solid approach?
living a life without saving anything?
rent-for-life PLUS nothing in the bank account seems to me a recipe for disaster..
but maybe it's just me...

You haven't replied about house-sharing?
That's really your only option if you're not willing to commute.

Volotaire

If you're willing to stretch your commute, try to think about economising on your commute time. Whether this means incorporating your leisure time into your comumte or incorporating preparatory work time, it might be a good strategy that alleviates 'time wasted'.

It's not ideal, but it's a slight workaround. It gets less ideal with as the number of changes you have to make increases or on certain types of transport (central London buses, short DLR tube, etc.)

Symphonia

Banned
If I don't save anything, what's even the point of working? To scrap by on a day by day basis? If I wanted to do that, I could have just been working as a cocktail guy somewhere and not work my ass out around the world.
Welcome to reality, my friend. It's a bitch, but you soon get used to it. I can't really talk about living in London as I don't live there, but the concept of 'scraping by' is not exclusive to London. I live in Birmingham, and I just about make enough per month to pay rent, bills, etc. Am I happy with my circumstances? No. Is it ideal? No. But do I appreciate what I do have? You bet. It's not a lifestyle that people thrive for but in this economy, you take what you can get. Affording a place in London - and I'm talking about buying out-right - is not cheap, and I know very few people who own their own property in London, especially within the areas/zones you've described.

As others have mentioned, you're going to have accept you won't be living a lavish lifestyle, or you're going to have to commute. I, personally, would look at doing a house share. It's by far the least ideal scenario, but it can reduce costs and gives you the bonus of meeting new people and making new friends.My only advice to you if you were going to do a house share is to try and get as much information about the other occupants before you move in. I made the mistake of not doing this, and got into a number of uncomfortable situations regarding the bathroom, food, TV and internet usage, etc. It really does pay to know the people you're going to be living with.

Welcome to reality, my friend. It's a bitch, but you soon get used to it. I can't really talk about living in London as I don't live there, but the concept of 'scraping by' is not exclusive to London. I live in Birmingham, and I just about make enough per month to pay rent, bills, etc. Am I happy with my circumstances? No. Is it ideal? No. But do I appreciate what I do have? You bet. It's not a lifestyle that people thrive for but in this economy, you take what you can get. Affording a place in London - and I'm talking about buying out-right - is not cheap, and I know very few people who own their own property in London, especially within the areas/zones you've described.

As others have mentioned, you're going to have accept you won't be living a lavish lifestyle, or you're going to have to commute. I, personally, would look at doing a house share. It's by far the least ideal scenario, but it can reduce costs and gives you the bonus of meeting new people and making new friends.My only advice to you if you were going to do a house share is to try and get as much information about the other occupants before you move in. I made the mistake of not doing this, and got into a number of uncomfortable situations regarding the bathroom, food, TV and internet usage, etc. It really does pay to know the people you're going to be living with.
I don't know..
Everyone is bitching about italy's economy, but i get by more than enough..
I have other friends in italy that live a mixed experience, with some "saving" around 20% others saving around 40-45% of their income..
granted my field (it) is blessed and there's always work and so on if you're at least decently capable..
but then even in austria, i have a friend earning 2,4k/month net, with 3 years experience (he worked with me for 1.5 years) and life in austria is MUCH cheaper than london, as a result he gets a nice 75 sqm flat in the center of vienna for around 800 eur/month, which is roughly 33% of his income.. again in line with my "self-set rules"..
honestly london seems an out of place world, where you work to scrap by and not to actually invest your life..
i mean, they say work to learn and not to earn, but there's a limit to this..
but i won't drag it any longer i guess :X

Mikeside said:
You haven't replied about house-sharing?
That's really your only option if you're not willing to commute.
not going to happen.. I can share an apartment with a girlfriend, I *could* share an apartment with a cousin or a relative.. with a total stranger? or even with someone like a friend? doubt it..
I tried living with other people in milan, when i was earning 1.2k after just joining the company 5 years and half ago... it lasted 1 year and half more or less and was a miserable experience, that made me realize how, given that for each decent person, there's always some trash, it's not worth it playing russian roulette with your life..
house share is out of question :)

SKINNER!

Banned
Offspring and Bad Religion are coming to UK this June. I'm going to try and attend the show in Hammersmith London since I'll be abroad when they show up in Glasgow. Anyone else planning on going?

EDIT: just read the above posts. Today I learned approx £45K (possibly more since you said your £3,8K sum was net) gets you shit in London. Bro, It's London. What did you expect? Salary like that would make for a great life outside London with a nice house and shit. Unless you're like earning £100K you ain't gonna financially live comfortably in London the way you're describing. Savings/investments etc. Same goes with NYC, Tokyo, Paris etc. It's a metropolitan city.

witchedwiz said:
but then even in austria, i have a friend earning 2,4k/month net, with 3 years experience (he worked with me for 1.5 years) and life in austria is MUCH cheaper than london, as a result he gets a nice 75 sqm flat in the center of vienna for around 800 eur/month, which is roughly 33% of his income.. again in line with my "self-set rules"..

Man, it's not about how much you earn but cost of living. £3,8K a month outside London is pretty cushy if you ask me. Plenty of room to save or start a mortgage etc. Car (and a decent one at that. Maybe 2. One for work and another for Sunday drives with yo gurl), internet/TV and all that stuff too. One of my friends is a doctor in India and - after conversion - he's earning like more than half of what I get...and he's a fucking doctor! Genius-level of profession. Dude should be swimming in coins and bills! But guess what? He kinda is! He's living comfortably because cost of living there is not the same as UK and his salary is pretty good from his perspective.

Case in point: Earn mo paypuh if you wanna live it up in London...or just commute and enjoy visiting London in your leisure time without having to live near city centre paycheck to paycheck. Best of both worlds.

NinjaBoiX

The cost of EVERYTHING in London is ridiculous, living there must be like applying the cost of living rise circa 2025.

And that's forgetting the general ball ache of dealing with the daily commute/overcrowding/cockneys.

Good luck bro.

3.8k after tax is an insane amount of money though - I would think for the 30% of that your putting towards rent that you could easily find a really nice two person flat share somewhere central and have tons left over for other aspects of life.

For me sharing would be the only way to have a nice place AND put money away but that said I tend to enjoy house sharing and know you said you had a bad experience which I haven't fortunately.

I keep fantasising about a London income but then the cost of rent + the cost of the underground would eat my money away

SKINNER!

Banned
3.8k after tax is an insane amount of money though - I would think for the 30% of that your putting towards rent that you could easily find a really nice two person flat share somewhere central and have tons left over for other aspects of life.

For me sharing would be the only way to have a nice place AND put money away but that said I tend to enjoy house sharing and know you said you had a bad experience which I haven't fortunately.

I keep fantasising about a London income but then the cost of rent + the cost of the underground would eat my money away

Bobs nails it. I agree.

I see living (and by living I mean not living like a grad student) in London/NYC/Tokyo/Paris as a Goal/incentive to work towards. If I wanna have a nice place there I gotta make something special and earn dat money that justifies the living cost. Whether its creating that hit software or starting a business or making the right investment and taking the risk. If you hungry and badly want it you'll accomplish anything! For a young adult between say 20 and 35, you ain't gonna be in a permanent/temporary salary job working for a company where you'll earn Ted DiBiase money instantly unless you suck dick, you're lottery lucky or your dad is CEO.

Or maybe you can in a particular field like banking or law...I dunno Haha. Still, you gotta prove that you're worth it.Either way, if you want it then go for it and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Qasiel

Most write it off, and I'll probably get chewed out for even suggesting it, but try South of the river. I live in the Blackheath/Greenwich area and can get to Canary Wharf (I work nearby at East India Dock) in 20 minutes on the DLR.

Expect prices to rise soon though, as more transport links and modern housing developments are on the rise.

Also you have to be pretty decent at brick throwing, spraying graffiti and knife fighting, but we learned that in school.

NinjaBoiX

I think I have a new favourite Bonobo track:

Bonobo - Silver

I love how aggressive the drums sound, especially given how sedate his music usually is. Don't get me wrong I love the guy, but it's borderline elevator music at times.

Offspring and Bad Religion are coming to UK this June. I'm going to try and attend the show in Hammersmith London since I'll be abroad when they show up in Glasgow. Anyone else planning on going?

Ooooohhh me me me! Let me check out tickets and I'll confirm for sure. You wanna crash at mine?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Indie Trump?
You're embarrassing yourself now, phone monkey.

Great. Now you've made me cry. I'm going to have to take the day off work...

Good memory!

Interesting (not really) story: that very same woman decided to - at great, great length - diagnose me with autism/aspergers at our office Christmas Party... and then preceded to berate me for not embracing my Egyptian heritage enough. Best Christmas Party ever, you say? Damn right... T-T

Indie Trump! I'M SO SORRY

Mikeside

Great. Now you've made me cry. I'm going to have to take the day off work...

Good memory!

Interesting (not really) story: that very same woman decided to - at great, great length - diagnose me with autism/aspergers at our office Christmas Party... and then preceded to berate me for not embracing my Egyptian heritage enough. Best Christmas Party ever, you say? Damn right... T-T

Indie Trump! I'M SO SORRY

She sounds delightful

A bit random but I have just started using a credit card, anything I need to watch out for? I know to pay it off within the month but are there any weird issues that have caught people out before?

Mostly doing it as it has 0 fees abroad and heading away for a bit so I'll be sensible and only buy what I can afford

Top Bottom