• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Is anyone else watching Sky News right now? There's a flight attempting an emergency belly flop landing due to a technical fault on the plane.

Ed. Nevermind. Why must my mother alert me of this stuff while hearing some second hand report on the radio?

spuckthew

I haven't the foggiest idea for what to do on New Year's Eve.

I'd like to venture into London, but I'm not sure if that would be too much of a nuisance with the crowds.

Any ideas?

I took the risk last year with one of my mates because our original plan fell through at the last possible minute after arriving in Clapham, and we didn't really fancy hanging in a no-doubt packed bar just the two of us, so throwing caution to the wind we hopped on a train to Central. In hindsight, we wouldn't have got home any earlier anyway had our original plan worked out because trains out of Waterloo stopped running at like 10pm (the station was being slowly closed off, zombie-apocalypse style, when we got there just after 9pm).

When we got along the South Bank, by the Eye, although it was busy, we could have easily kept a really good viewing spot. We were literally behind where the fireworks were eventually deployed. But in our infinite wisdom, and because I sure as fuck wasn't standing around in the cold for a little under 3 hours, we decided to walk alllllllll the way along the river, over Black Friars, and down the Victoria Embankment. That was when we regretted our decision. Near Embankment station, which was closed this time last year, there was a road block, and the crowd had come to a standstill. We turned around and headed back toward Black Friars, but the sheer volume of people was otherworldly - I had never seen or experienced anything like it. After much faffing around, and dismissing the idea of walking back to Clapham(!), we settled at the north end of Black Friars with not such a bad view of the Eye. We watched the fireworks...then came our 4 hour slog home.

It was absolute hell, but I'm sort of glad we did it because I got to see the fireworks, live, in our country's capital on New Year's Eve.

Buuuuuut don't do it, if only out of principal because they've decided to start charging for tickets for the first time ever.

I have been floating in the void of nothingness.

Also have been playing Terranigma on the snes, about halfway in at this point. Neat little Secret of Mana-like.

Other than that I have been eating and drinking too much.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Urgh, awful, but at least that means a 100% improvement to NXT
I already have to put up with Cole, King and JBL bickering rather than calling the match. I haven't seen much NXT though (I loved their last big event, though), so what's so bad about The Ascension?

Reknoc

I already have to put up with Cole, King and JBL bickering rather than calling the match. I haven't seen much NXT though (I loved their last big event, though), so what's so bad about The Ascension?

They're boring as hell both inside and outside the ring, and the last time I watched NXT they were in some racist feud with Hideo Itami which made me roll my eyes so hard they were close to falling out.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
They're boring as hell both inside and outside the ring, and the last time I watched NXT they were in some racist feud with Hideo Itami which made me roll my eyes so hard they were close to falling out.
I kinda spoke about them too soon, as I just saw while watching that they made their debut against Miz and Mizdow. But for me, I want to give them a chance to see what they're like. I mean, even if they're boring, I'd hardly think they'd be Randy Orton levels of boring.

Reknoc

I kinda spoke about them too soon, as I just saw while watching that they made their debut against Miz and Mizdow. But for me, I want to give them a chance to see what they're like. I mean, even if they're boring, I'd hardly think they'd be Randy Orton levels of boring.

At least Orton has an amusing meme.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

Xun

I hate going out on New Years Eve, haven't done so for years. House party is where it's at.

Mush speaks the truth. If you have any mates that are staying in/having a party, that'll be a million times better than anywhere central on amateur night.

I took the risk last year with one of my mates because our original plan fell through at the last possible minute after arriving in Clapham, and we didn't really fancy hanging in a no-doubt packed bar just the two of us, so throwing caution to the wind we hopped on a train to Central. In hindsight, we wouldn't have got home any earlier anyway had our original plan worked out because trains out of Waterloo stopped running at like 10pm (the station was being slowly closed off, zombie-apocalypse style, when we got there just after 9pm).

When we got along the South Bank, by the Eye, although it was busy, we could have easily kept a really good viewing spot. We were literally behind where the fireworks were eventually deployed. But in our infinite wisdom, and because I sure as fuck wasn't standing around in the cold for a little under 3 hours, we decided to walk alllllllll the way along the river, over Black Friars, and down the Victoria Embankment. That was when we regretted our decision. Near Embankment station, which was closed this time last year, there was a road block, and the crowd had come to a standstill. We turned around and headed back toward Black Friars, but the sheer volume of people was otherworldly - I had never seen or experienced anything like it. After much faffing around, and dismissing the idea of walking back to Clapham(!), we settled at the north end of Black Friars with not such a bad view of the Eye. We watched the fireworks...then came our 4 hour slog home.

It was absolute hell, but I'm sort of glad we did it because I got to see the fireworks, live, in our country's capital on New Year's Eve.

Buuuuuut don't do it, if only out of principal because they've decided to start charging for tickets for the first time ever.
A house party would be ideal but unfortunately no one I know are hosting any parties, so I'll probably just head down to a local pub.

One of my local pubs has live music playing so it could be decent.

Faith

So I'm going to UK for the first time in my life in 4-5 weeks. Is this the wrong thread to ask what places I should visit?

So I'm going to UK for the first time in my life in 4-5 weeks. Is this the wrong thread to ask what places I should visit?

Yes. We're all basement virgins who never leave our homes so we have no idea what the rest of the UK is like. You're better off making a thread about it, I'm sure no one's done that before so there should be lots of people who've never actually been here willing to give their opinion on where to go based on hearsay and rumour.

I kid I kid. All depends how long you'll be here for, whereabouts in the UK you're staying and what interests you have.

Edit: dammit jim.

Volotaire

Rule 1: If you're in London Underground escalators, stand on the right, walk on the left.

Also, if you;re planning to stay in London, then you cannot use buses without an Oyster card. Purchase one of those if you're planning to get the bus (not the tourist ones).

Also, I hope you're not visiting to Birmingham because of that recently created 'trending' list.

Faith

Escalator rule like in Switzerland, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip with the Oyster card :) Actually I don't know how long I should stay. Maybe a 3-day sightseeing trip in London? And a longer visit later in summer?

My interests? Mmmmh, Doctor Who is my favourite TV show and I'm a tennis fan (watching & playing a lot). I'm also quite a fan of architecture (especially modern buildings). I could also spend some time shopping clothes, mine are getting old. And I love asian food, there is a take-away restaurant called Wok To Walk, loved it in Barcelona, there is also one in London. My biggest interest is definitely science.

NinjaBoiX

Come to Manchester, it's mint.
If you're headed north you can meet ninjaboix and talk about Hayley <3
3UaNkOs.gif

Also, if you;re planning to stay in London, then you cannot use buses without an Oyster card. Purchase one of those if you're planning to get the bus (not the tourist ones.

Unless you have a contactless credit or debit card, then you can use that instead, it works exactly the same as an Oyster card on buses, underground, overground, dlr and trams.

Escalator rule like in Switzerland, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip with the Oyster card :) Actually I don't know how long I should stay. Maybe a 3-day sightseeing trip in London? And a longer visit later in summer?

My interests? Mmmmh, Doctor Who is my favourite TV show and I'm a tennis fan (watching & playing a lot). I'm also quite a fan of architecture (especially modern buildings). I could also spend some time shopping clothes, mine are getting old. And I love asian food, there is a take-away restaurant called Wok To Walk, loved it in Barcelona, there is also one in London. My biggest interest is definitely science.

3 days in London isn't that long. You could probably do a day of museums, South Kensington is good for that, Science museum and Natural History museums are next door to each other and are my faves. A day of general sightseeing, the open top sightseeing bus tours are actually good fun and quite informative. And a day of shopping, avoid Oxford Street if you can, instead check out the back streets of Soho, lots of kooky boutiques and vintage shops.

If you come back for a longer visit try and visit other cities. If you're a Whovian Cardiff would be good, there are Doctor Who tours and the Bay is lovely. Scotland also has some beautiful scenery, Edinburgh would be good to visit.

Faith

Ok, I'm going with my best friend. 6th February (7am) till 10th (6pm), so we have almost 5 full days in London :D

Btw, yes I have a contactless creditcard.

Volotaire

- Covent Garden
- Camden
- Markets (camden market, Exmouth market, Covent garden, etc)
- Science Museums (Apparently there are great ones in London)
- Obvious landmarks in London (Parliament, Big Ben, Thames Bridge, etc.)
- The tank lying in London http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandela_Way_T-34_Tank
- If you want tennis, you want to come back for Wimbledon for the summer (usually the weather is warm and sunny for the majority of the tournament)
- For other UK cities, historical : Bath, Oxford, Cambridge
- Edinburgh is nice, especially at Fringe festival *summertime) I hear
- Don't stop for people asking for money in the middle of the street with boards, etc.
- Be wary near tube station entrances, it can get very busy at peak times. Central London is a non stop city, i.e. people don;t stop walking.
- Hyde park/Kensington gardens/

- I would argue against open top buses because at that point you're not really 'experiencing' the city. Personally, I like walking across new city roads and watching even the ordinary the people, buildings and etc.

jimbor

Banned

3 days in London is basically nothing so don't try and do everything, you'll have to really narrow it down. Just the British Museum alone takes that long to see properly!

As Mush said, Kensington is good if you want to hit a few museums in one day (science, natural history and the V&A) and even as a born and bred Londoner I recommend the open top bus tours. Think tickets are about £25 but that allows you to hop on/off any of the sightseeing routes. If £25 seems a bit much, you can always jump on the 24 (using Oyster/contactless, only £1.50. Would still say go for Oyster over contactless in order to avoid bank charges) which goes from Pimlico to Hampstead Heath, passing many of London's famous landmarks.

If you'd rather be in the thick of things when sightseeing, I highly recommend http://www.bowlofchalk.net/ The walks are run on a pay what you feel basis (on Saturday and Sunday) and are very relaxed and informative. Took my gf on our second date and she loved it, ended up paying £20 each.

If you like Asian food, the Old Street end of Kingsland Road has many Vietnamese places, some of which are bring your own booze, which makes for a very cheap night.

Depending on what other cuisines you like, you're spoilt for choice in London nowadays (apart from Mexican, although that's getting bigger now).

jimbor

Banned
Boy am I fucking hanging this morning. Went for a walk last night to explore the bits of the area that I'm not too familiar with by the new place, got something to eat and then popped in to the local on the way back.

The only other person there was a coked up Irish man who'd had a win on the horses. Insisted on buying me beer (yay!) but also insisted on double Jamesons shots (boo!). I vaguely remember him brandishing his fists a couple of times when I tried to pay, then he finally headed off to score some coke. Glad I don't do drugs any more otherwise I would've gone with him, fuck knows where the night would've gone from there!

Don't remember leaving the pub or getting home but I do remember being sat on the pot and puking into the bath, picking the lumps out of the plugholeNot done that for years.

GF was looking after me when she got home from work at eleven.

feelsbadmane.jpg

Nerdkiller

Membeur
What is it with me just getting only about 3 or 4 hours of sleep and not getting back to bed, recently? Is it my body clock just telling me to actually bother with the morning?

NinjaBoiX

I'm basically working a 24 hour day today with a four hour break. Got CLV from 8:00am - 4:30pm then Mint Lounge from 9:00pm - 5:00am (although that's when we shut, so it's really more like 6:00am!). Left the house at 7am this morning, and besides going home for a shower and change, some tea and maybe a pint or two I'll be back home to bed about 7am tomorrow morning.

Happy New Year!

On the plus side, with my double time at Mint and no doubt healthy tip pot I should make around £300 just from today.

banofypie

Banned
just finished what is hopefully going to be my last energy drink ever

later i'll have my last cigarette

after that, my last wank

then, and only then, my last listen to linkin park

following that, i will finally phone up a radio station and tell them i think dale winton is a bit of a nonce

new years resolutions are fun, does anyone else have any ?

just finished what is hopefully going to be my last energy drink ever

later i'll have my last cigarette

after that, my last wank

then, and only then, my last listen to linkin park

following that, i will finally phone up a radio station and tell them i think dale winton is a bit of a nonce

new years resolutions are fun, does anyone else have any ?

Is your New Years Resolution to kill yourself then? All sounds pretty final LOL!

I am going to the pictures to watch the last Hobbit movie tonight, just as I have the past two years. I can't be bothered with the whole NYE palava, So much effort only to end up drunk and tired.

What is everyone doing for New Years?

I'm sitting indoors. My friends are boring.

With 9 hours to go, not a clue. None of my friends nor myself have plans. Will either end up doing something with them, or if the missus isn't doing anything with her friends then game/watch Studio Ghibli movies with her.

Party animal.

Volotaire

Also why is this thread slow again, is it because nobody is at works

Some people are never content with their lot, let what will happen. Clouds and darkness are over their heads, alike whether it rain or shine. To them every incident is an accident, and every accident a calamity.

Charles Spurgeon, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 420.

RiggyRob

I'm finishing up Ace Attorney 5, and this last case is a real doozy.

It's going to be so weird if I find out that
Bobby Fulbright is the spy that Athena stabbed in the hand and therefore is the killer of Metis Cykes and Clay Terran because of that weird vein animation he has

Top Bottom