• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Son Of D

I nearly made a LTTP thread for Symphony of the Night as well as Xenoblade. Decided against it though. No idea why. Maybe I couldn't be bothered.

'sup BritGAF...first registered for NeoGAF about 5 years ago but never got activated. Until I logged into an old email account and found I actually had been activated, back in 2013...

This looks like a cool community, mainly due to the fact that the first thing I noticed in the opening post was a user named Slowdive. :D

EDIT: Oh, right.

Where do you come from? (Where do you go, where do you come from Cotton Eye Joe etc)
Bristol

What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to?
Data analyst

What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end?
A Platinum trophy for Life

Favourite daytime TV show?
Pointless

Fish or chips?
Chips!

Daddy or chips?

Chips!

What's your tipple of choice?
Dark rum and coke, or cider, living up to the West Country stereotype

Favourite party snack?
Sausage rolls

Who is the best bald person?
Devin Townsend

What's your disappointing claim to fame?
I got auditioned and shortlisted for both Pointless and The Chase but didn't end up on either :(

What's your perfect Sunday?
Sleep in, good roast, nice bath, relax

Did you threaten to overrule him?
*avoids question*

Did you threaten to overrule him?
*continues to avoid question*

It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him?
Yes.

Volotaire

'sup BritGAF...first registered for NeoGAF about 5 years ago but never got activated. Until I logged into an old email account and found I actually had been activated, back in 2013...

This looks like a cool community, mainly due to the fact that the first thing I noticed in the opening post was a user named Slowdive. :D

You have a little danger in your eye.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've made two LTTP threads since I've been on GAF. My Child of Light one wasn't exactly complimentary...

Damn straight. Child of Light is fucking terrible. It makes me feel all berrible. Oh look, a collectible!

Seriously...the IGN review described it as having iambic pentameter. Iambic fucking pentameter. It's a horrible game and completely in love with itself. A horrible, conceited, shallow mess.

Separate note, I just played through Left Behind. I played it on Survivor and it was a bit easy now I'm bloody steeled
after doing the Underground Tunnel and that final corridor before Ellie in the main game I can do anything.
but still really, really good. I can see mechanics in there that might appear in the inevitable sequel.

Obviously, the story, script, voice acting etc were all exemplary.

On to Red Dead Redemption! Tomorrow. I'm pooped.

Slowdive

Banned

:D Welcome!

6N5GfGt.jpg

oh shut up.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I really hope it's Sam Smith.

Oh man, my Game of the Generation! I'm interested to see what you think.

Gimme a shout if you fancy some MP.

High praise! Will do.

It's funny to see gaming side go a bit bonkers over The Order. The tenor of the discussion feels so puerile.

"Reviewer scored it a 5!"
"I like it!"
"Reviewers are corrupt!"

I feel like other "creative arts" moved on from this kind of thing centuries ago. I can't wait for everyone who plays games to become old and contemplative so we don't have to have discussion directed by a bunch of angry adolescents.

I have been reading books with long words this afternoon.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I may be biased. I love Westerns and GTA... soooo.... Yeah.

I hate to say this but I think it might not be for me. I tried that and Gears of War (again) and neither clicked.

I think I just don't like open world games (in RDRs case) and Gears just feels spongy and unsatisfying to me (I'm aware I'm probably wrong and have terrible taste). So I tried Vanquish instead and just lost two hours of my life to absolute mayhem. It's also hilarious.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I hate to say this but I think it might not be for me. I tried that and Gears of War (again) and neither clicked.

I think I just don't like open world games (in RDRs case) and Gears just feels spongy and unsatisfying to me (I'm aware I'm probably wrong and have terrible taste). So I tried Vanquish instead and just lost two hours of my life to absolute mayhem. It's also hilarious.

You have the best taste.

RDR would be better as a more linear game. Max Payne style. They nailed the tone but it is so boring.

Remember that woman who got kicked out of UKIP for being racist, but nobody could report what she said?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31565770

This video is comedy gold. I'm watching it over and over again and it's still making me laugh. Watch, then read.

I love that she claims she's not racist because she doesn't see the term she used as racist, overlooking the fact that what she actually says is "I hate this entire race for no reason at all." It's not the word you used, love, it's that you're a fucking racist.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Fair enough. You're missing out on one of gaming's great protagonists though!

RDR would be better as a more linear game. Max Payne style.

Please never make video games. Riding around on horseback in the open world and diving into random activities is the best bit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You have the best taste.

RDR would be better as a more linear game. Max Payne style. They nailed the tone but it is so boring.

Ha! I keep telling the world this but it disagrees.

Please never make video games. Riding around on horseback in the open world and diving into random activities is the best bit.

I can tell he's a great character. The voice acting was also really impressive. Maybe I just need to sit on it for a while until I feel like an open world game. I just haven't been able to enjoy one since I played Black Flag way back when I got the ps4.

Symphonia

Banned
Riding around on horseback in the open world and diving into random activities is the best bit.
I think this is one of a few times I agree with you. There's something so calming and relaxing about riding over the plains on horseback. Rockstar really nailed the authenticity of South America and Mexico. I just wish they'd hurry up and announce the inevitable next-gen entry.

Mikeside

I think this is one of a few times I agree with you. There's something so calming and relaxing about riding over the plains on horseback. Rockstar really nailed the authenticity of South America and Mexico. I just wish they'd hurry up and announce the inevitable next-gen entry.

Give up, already

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

For about an hour, yes. But it gets tedious quickly. Still better than most open world games, mind. Also, the story is far better than most in games(not a high bar), or the character moments are at least. Way better than the rubbish Rockstar usually produces.

Actually the Mexico moment is one of the best uses of an open world for developing atmosphere.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Maybe I was a bit hasty with RDR. The first shootout was fun (although the aim assist is very strong!). I'll go back to it when I'm done with Vanquish. There be potential there in that there feller.

For now though, I'm spending time with the great Robert Burns. This game even had a Wilhelm scream.

edit: is it wrong that I already think Vanquish is better than Bayonetta 2? The boss battles with the absolutely huge robots are just jaw-dropping. And it's so fast! It's insane. I can slide across the floor with my rocket boots, jump kick a Russian robot, slow down time, backflip and then shoot another, before throwing a grenade and rocket booting it out of there! It just feels so Sega as well, it reminds me of all those 90s Sega arcade games.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Maybe I was a bit hasty with RDR. The first shootout was fun (although the aim assist is very strong!). I'll go back to it when I'm done with Vanquish. There be potential there in that there feller.

For now though, I'm spending time with the great Robert Burns. This game even had a Wilhelm scream.

edit: is it wrong that I already think Vanquish is better than Bayonetta 2? The boss battles with the absolutely huge robots are just jaw-dropping. And it's so fast! It's insane. I can slide across the floor with my rocket boots, jump kick a Russian robot, slow down time, backflip and then shoot another, before throwing a grenade and rocket booting it out of there! It just feels so Sega as well, it reminds me of all those 90s Sega arcade games.

That's Mikami for you. Best game designer around. Creator of the best ever action game: RE4. Vanquish being a close second.

NinjaBoiX

Vanquish is the nuts sploatee, loved it!

Fun fact: you can distract enemies by flicking your cigarette.
Sounds like the thought of entering the next generation has you all excited.

Symphonia

Banned
By next-gen, I mean current gen, as in PS4 and Xbox One. I'm stuck in a cycle of calling it next-gen for some reason. Either way, from what I've seen of this gen's games so far, we're in for a damn good time. I know it's a remaster, but GTAV NG felt like an entirely new game in terms of the tech used. If Rockstar managed that with a remaster, I can only imagine what they can do with a game started from scratch.

Reknoc

well, until a certain moment

moveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnagmoveyadamnnag

omg #dead.gif

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Vanquish is the nuts sploatee, loved it!

Fun fact: you can distract enemies by flicking your cigarette.

Innit great? My only slightly frustrating thing is that it's on 360 and I care about trophies but not achievements.

Oh, and "zing"!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I think you can turn it off/make it less.

I liked that whole deal. *shrugs*

I might just do that. I'm looking forward to sitting down and playing it properly. I'm just in that frame of mind where if it's not straight into the action I feel like I'm wasting time. The graphics and sound were great though.

Are you going to get a PS4 for Bloodborne? How is Alien Isolation holding up? It's down to twenty odd quid so I might try it once I've cleared some more of this backlog (and got my TLOU platinum).

Oh and Reknoc, I've switched to lance in MH. I have an 'expelgur ' (sp?) which is very satisfying to use. It's a very good game for quick bursts here and there and for playing while listening to something else.

Reknoc

Oh and Reknoc, I've switched to lance in MH. I have an 'expelgur ' (sp?) which is very satisfying to use. It's a very good game for quick bursts here and there and for playing while listening to something else.

I used a Lance in my more recent play of Freedom Unite. The defense is really nice and it's easy to break monsters head, especially the birdier ones where you can turtle under their neck and upward prod them lol. Made me long for the Gunlance though, which I didn't want to use because I planned on maining it in MH4 (except now I'm using Insect Glaive, oops).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
in practice it didn't really work because the character was an insufferable prick.

I didn't get that at all.
An annoying voice doesn't make someone a prick! :D

I might just do that. I'm looking forward to sitting down and playing it properly. I'm just in that frame of mind where if it's not straight into the action I feel like I'm wasting time. The graphics and sound were great though.

It's definitely a tuck into kinda game. None of the side missions are really necessary, they kind of add to the Westerny mileu.

I didn't get on with Vanquish, myself. Blew its load in the first hour and didn't seem to get any better or develop much. Of course, GAF accuse me of "playing it wrong". Jetting around is fun but the shooting itself was pretty weak. Felt like I was firing paper aeroplanes at medieval chest plates. Give me MGR any day of the week. :)

Are you going to get a PS4 for Bloodborne? How is Alien Isolation holding up? It's down to twenty odd quid so I might try it once I've cleared some more of this backlog (and got my TLOU platinum).

I will get a PS4 eventually. Money is super tight at the moment though. Gotta move house soon.

Alien: Isolation is fantastic so far. I stalled a while back but restarted it recently on Hard and it has clicked much more. It's the purest stealth game I've played in a long while. Ripley is incredibly fragile, whilst offensive options are kept minimal and are an absolute chore to engage in, just as a stealth game should be. I'm in awe of how they managed to convert the film into such a compelling, stressful and exhilarating game and then add to it without breaking the tone. Such a great package. Apparently it overstays its welcome, but I haven't had that yet.

Reknoc

I also remember him being kinda whiney as well, but I'm not sure if I just made that up because all I can really remember is his voice which is terrible.

The apple didn't just fall far from the tree, it also rolled down a hill off a cliff into the sea where it got caught by a boat and ended up on the other side of the world.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I also remember him being kinda whiney as well, but I'm not sure if I just made that up because all I can really remember is his voice which is terrible.

The apple didn't just fall far from the tree, it also rolled down a hill off a cliff into the sea where it got caught by a boat and ended up on the other side of the world.

He didn't whine as far as I recall. You may be overstating how bad he is because internet + John is so cool. In any case, I liked him. Fits the Kid Gunslinger trope perfectly.

Also, You realise that he's basically a young John, right? John/Jack were interchangeable names back in the day.

Reknoc

He didn't whine as far as I recall. You may be overstating how bad he is because internet + John is so cool. In any case, I liked him. Fits the Kid Gunslinger trope perfectly.

Also, You realise that he's basically a young John, right? John/Jack were interchangeable names back in the day.

Overstating, maybe, but he did make me quit the game other than the occasional online session. Shame as I would have liked to have attempted to 100% it. Dunno about him being a younger John though, maybe John was just really bad at naming.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

It's definitely a tuck into kinda game. None of the side missions are really necessary, they kind of add to the Westerny mileu.

I didn't get on with Vanquish, myself. Blew its load in the first hour and didn't seem to get any better or develop much. Of course, GAF accuse me of "playing it wrong". Jetting around is fun but the shooting itself was pretty weak. Felt like I was firing paper aeroplanes at medieval chest plates. Give me MGR any day of the week. :)

I will get a PS4 eventually. Money is super tight at the moment though. Gotta move house soon.

Alien: Isolation is fantastic so far. I stalled a while back but restarted it recently on Hard and it has clicked much more. It's the purest stealth game I've played in a long while. Ripley is incredibly fragile, whilst offensive options are kept minimal and are an absolute chore to engage in, just as a stealth game should be. I'm in awe of how they managed to convert the film into such a compelling, stressful and exhilarating game and then add to it without breaking the tone. Such a great package. Apparently it overstays its welcome, but I haven't had that yet.

Sacrilege! But...it's...by...Platinum! Fair enough. I'll see how I get on. I die a lot which to me often means I'm having fun.

Glad to hear that about Alien. The general post-release buzz for it has been good so I'm definitely going to check it out. I think I'll try the Order first once it's cheap and then Alien. I'm saving Bloodborne as I know once I get it it'll be Dark Souls all over again (i.e. all other aspects of my existence will be subjugated to the glory of dying again and again).

Top Bottom