• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Reknoc

Thinking of how R* nailed it so hard with an open world game I would love to see them try with Pirates. Something like Black Flag... Only good. Yesterday I went from having never heard of Raven's Cry to hey this sounds kinda neat to avoiding.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Thinking of how R* nailed it so hard with an open world game I would love to see them try with Pirates. Something like Black Flag... Only good. Yesterday I went from having never heard of Raven's Cry to hey this sounds kinda neat to avoiding.

The Giant Bomb quicklook is a lot of fun. More than the game, by the look of it.

The Evil Within is just incredible. RE4 + psychological horror <3

Well, actually it is a but more survival horror-y than RE4. The atmosphere is terrific.

Reknoc

The Giant Bomb quicklook is a lot of fun. More than the game, by the look of it.

The Evil Within is just incredible. RE4 + psychological horror <3

Well, actually it is a but more survival horror-y than RE4. The atmosphere is terrific.

Yea, the Quick Look was great, but is the reason I won't buy the game. Only watched it because Critkal put a video up and I remembered that I saw it on Giant Bomb but the name and thumbnail they used made me think it was some bad horror adventure game lol

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sacrilege! But...it's...by...Platinum! Fair enough. I'll see how I get on. I die a lot which to me often means I'm having fun.

I know! I'm a heathen.

Don't get me wrong, that first hour was great. After that it just became a bit samey for me: the environments, the enemies, the mechanics. They blew all their cookies too soon, so it lacked any sense of steady escalation, which games like Metal Gear Rising and (to a lesser extent) Bayonetta 1 pretty much nailed. I get why people like it, it just wasn't for me. I even bought it twice to make sure! XD

Glad to hear that about Alien. The general post-release buzz for it has been good so I'm definitely going to check it out. I think I'll try the Order first once it's cheap and then Alien. I'm saving Bloodborne as I know once I get it it'll be Dark Souls all over again (i.e. all other aspects of my existence will be subjugated to the glory of dying again and again).

Coolio. Get Alien for PS4, it looks amazing. I'd definitely double-dip for that.

Also, you can't play Bloodbourne till I have a PS4. I'm sorry, that's just the way it has to be.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I know! I'm a heathen.

Don't get me wrong, that first hour was great. After that it just became a bit samey for me: the environments, the enemies, the mechanics. They blew all their cookies too soon, so it lacked any sense of steady escalation, which games like Metal Gear Rising and (to a lesser extent) Bayonetta 1 pretty much nailed. I get why people like it, it just wasn't for me. I even bought it twice to make sure! XD

Coolio. Get Alien for PS4, it looks amazing. I'd definitely double-dip for that.

Also, you can't play Bloodbourne till I have a PS4. I'm sorry, that's just the way it has to be.

I think I prefer aiming and shooting to beat-em-up mechanics. Bayonetta 2 is obviously stunning but I feel I've peaked after finishing it on 3rd climax - infinite climax is just too much of a leap for me.

I probably won't get around to Bloodborne for ages anyway! I'm trying to save up PS4 games because I seem not to be interested in any of the annualised franchises.

Not having trophies from these 360 games is really bugging me now though. A very first world problem!

NinjaBoiX

Nice one cheeze! Just got a text back from Steve, he's busy with his nephews birthday that weekend, can't make it.

So it's currently me, you, Beth and E, maybe skeleton? I forget who else in here is Manc!

Vashetti

Banned
Why?

And hurray Cheez!

It's me being silly really, but I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that my job isn't going anywhere (I work in retail if you didn't know).

My partner's mum passed away the other day from cancer, and I've been home a lot looking after him. It's a basic job, and my hours are mostly short, but I miss him a lot in work.

Am I going to still be here in ten year's time, working for the same minimum wage? It'll likely sound lazy, but if I had money I probably wouldn't work at all, I'd rather be at home where I'm happiest with my partner. I get depressed often and suffer with social anxiety, and heading to work often makes me feel stressed out to the point of tears.

I really like my work colleagues, and management, and most aspects of the job. But, there are many times where I've felt I've done a great job, gone above and behind what was expected of me, and you don't get anything for it. There doesn't seem to be any major way of moving up in the world around here.

I'm just wondering how to get out of this position. I'm not about to go and quit my job tomorrow, this is more of a long-term worry. But how do I go about getting out of it? I've got great GCSEs and A-levels, even went to uni for a year and a half, but I found it too stressful.

I just wish I could win the lottery tomorrow. They say money can't buy happiness, but to an extent it does. It would turn my life around.

NinjaBoiX

Vashetti, you work part time in a tinpot job for a huge company that basically anyone can do, it's no surprise that you don't get huge amounts of positive reinforcement every day. Hate to break it to you bro but they have massive staff turnover in places like that, you're basically just a number to them.

It's rare to get a job where you feel valued and irreplaceable, Tunji (my manager at Mint) treats his staff like shit, even though he's actually a pretty nice guy outside of work.

I miss Eilidh...

On the flipside, Annie, my manager at my day job pays me well, goes out of her way to make me feel welcome and regularly tells me how much she values my services and appreciates my efforts. But you know what? I'm pretty damn good at my job, and I have the skills and experience to back it up.

Sometimes you've got to just suck it up man, most minimum wage jobs are shit.

It's a hard life for a frozen chip dude.
i shan't be making it next saturday because i am deeply shy and also (actual reason) i am dirt poor.
You smell of wee.

Lirlond

Vashetti if you want to progress in retail you have to show you can actually lead a team. Take initiative for things your manager normally does, let them know you mean business. Unless you actively put yourself out there no one will care, it's a high turnover job so as long as you just do your job we don't care about you.

Mikeside

Unless you've got a real interest in it, you're better getting a job in another industry. You don't seem cut out for retail. If you want to do well you have to put in extra hours, cope with customers and demanding management etc.

No use complaining that your supermarket job is shit. That's what the bottom rung of retail is like. Deal with it or move on.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think I prefer aiming and shooting to beat-em-up mechanics.

Beat 'em up mechanics? Pffft. What about Slice 'em up mechanics?

rising-4boos7.gif

You can cut watermelons into teeny tiny shreds!

WATERMELONS!

SHREDS!

Katanas are just better.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It's me being silly really, but I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that my job isn't going anywhere (I work in retail if you didn't know).

My partner's mum passed away the other day from cancer, and I've been home a lot looking after him. It's a basic job, and my hours are mostly short, but I miss him a lot in work.

Am I going to still be here in ten year's time, working for the same minimum wage? It'll likely sound lazy, but if I had money I probably wouldn't work at all, I'd rather be at home where I'm happiest with my partner. I get depressed often and suffer with social anxiety, and heading to work often makes me feel stressed out to the point of tears.

I really like my work colleagues, and management, and most aspects of the job. But, there are many times where I've felt I've done a great job, gone above and behind what was expected of me, and you don't get anything for it. There doesn't seem to be any major way of moving up in the world around here.

I'm just wondering how to get out of this position. I'm not about to go and quit my job tomorrow, this is more of a long-term worry. But how do I go about getting out of it? I've got great GCSEs and A-levels, even went to uni for a year and a half, but I found it too stressful.

I just wish I could win the lottery tomorrow. They say money can't buy happiness, but to an extent it does. It would turn my life around.

Without wishing to be heartless, I'd have to echo what others have said. Low-level retail jobs are designed to be places you pass through. One thing you could do would be to enquire about their manager training opportunities but you've only been there five minutes. I know it's a bit crappy but I think we've all been there.

Beat 'em up mechanics? Pffft. What about Slice 'em up mechanics?

You can cut watermelons into teeny tiny shreds!

WATERMELONS!

SHREDS!

Katanas are just better.

Ok ok ok ok!

Ok!

Ok ok!

You have 0.25 of a point.

Vashetti

Banned
Vashetti if you want to progress in retail you have to show you can actually lead a team. Take initiative for things your manager normally does, let them know you mean business. Unless you actively put yourself out there no one will care, it's a high turnover job so as long as you just do your job we don't care about you.

There's currently a Team Leader position available and I'm thinking of putting my name forward. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm off work on holiday at the moment for a week, so I've just asked one of my colleagues to let management know of my interest.

Fingers crossed.

NinjaBoiX

Stop thinking about it and do it. And be prepared to do it again and again if you're not selected.
So much this, never underestimate the value of tenacity.
I'm off work on holiday at the moment for a week, so I've just asked one of my colleagues to let management know of my interest.

Fingers crossed.
This was probably a bad move though, I'd have expressed an interest personally when I got back to work.

Vashetti

Banned
So much this, never underestimate the value of tenacity.

This was probably a bad move though, I'd have expressed an interest personally when I got back to work.

The person I asked was the team leader who's leaving, making the position available. She said to come in before the end of the week to let them know and to attend an interview.

I dunno if it'd be the same where you are, but where I am the problem with the "Team Leader" role is that it's kind of an excuse for them to expect a bunch more shit of you, and the pay is barely worth it. An extra 50p an hour or something which is totally offset by the fact that you'll be staying 15/30 minutes late every day to deal with stuff that managers laid on you five minutes before you were meant to finish.

But if you want to progress, it's sort of the only option, unless you're near one of their head-office type sites, in which case there could be all sorts of opportunities outside the store. I totally wouldn't do it unless you do want to progress, though, it's a really shit job, all it is is a stepping-stone towards properly managing something where the money starts getting a little closer to being worth the effort you put in and the shit you get back.

(Of course, again, it could be different with who you work for, I'm sure some shops are better than others).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
What is everyone up to?

Just leaving our Liverpool office now. Had to give client presentation this morning and got ones tomorrow and Thurs too (but thankfully bit closer to home).

I like Liverpool. Also really pooped as had to get up at 5 this am. (Yes I know that's probably late to some of you). Looking forward to a relaxing train journey (first clarse!) with art academy. And might nip into game on the way home because it's what I seem to do these days.

NinjaBoiX

Elton John is a fucking charlatan, I can't stand his tunes. What the fuck is up with Your Song man? Those lyrics:

"If I was a sculptor,
But then again no,"

Yeah, fuck off, that makes zero sense and scans terribly. Me whenever it comes on the radio:

rv8Kzj8.jpg

Hope everyone is having a nice day and all that!

Elton John is a fucking charlatan, I can't stand his tunes. What the fuck is up with Your Song man? Those lyrics:

"If I was a sculptor,
But then again no,"

Yeah, fuck off, that makes zero sense and scans terribly. Me whenever it comes on the radio:

rv8Kzj8.jpg

Hope everyone is having a nice day and all that!

Elton John is a terrible lyricist. Which is why he doesn't write the lyrics to his songs. Your Song lyrics were written by Bernie Taupin.

Elton John does write brilliant music, and is an absolute legend.

Also doesn't surprise me that you don't understand the lyrics considering they're romantic thoughts from a self-deprecating point of view

NinjaBoiX

Oh really? I just assumed he did. I learned something new today. He is a great pianist no doubt, I just never liked his tunes.

I mean I get what the song is about, it's pretty obvious. It's not that I don't understand it and some of the lyrics are actually kind of sweet, it's just that lyric in particular doesn't make sense and sounds really lazy and awkward, it's always wound me up to an irrational degree! Every time I hear it I just think "really, that's what you settled on?"

lol at the last part though, I'm often self-deprecating and I'm a right soppy bastard when I'm in love.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Show me skeleton dude!

I am going to insist on your attendance on Staurday. We will keep it cheap and it's my payday so happy to stand you a few drinks.

It's simply vital. Who knows if Manc GAF will ever meet again?

Anyway what else is new dudes?

I did a stupid impulsive thing (see above re payday) and picked up a PS3. This is the by product of being a medium cheese at my work. And feeling chuffed that I did a presentation thing. Although I'm still in bag loads of post grad debt. And rent. But hey. Life.

Saw the Interview at the weekend. It was fun light entertainment.

I really like Prince.

Oh and who else is manc way - coldman? Old man?

Vashetti

Banned
I dunno if it'd be the same where you are, but where I am the problem with the "Team Leader" role is that it's kind of an excuse for them to expect a bunch more shit of you, and the pay is barely worth it. An extra 50p an hour or something which is totally offset by the fact that you'll be staying 15/30 minutes late every day to deal with stuff that managers laid on you five minutes before you were meant to finish.

But if you want to progress, it's sort of the only option, unless you're near one of their head-office type sites, in which case there could be all sorts of opportunities outside the store. I totally wouldn't do it unless you do want to progress, though, it's a really shit job, all it is is a stepping-stone towards properly managing something where the money starts getting a little closer to being worth the effort you put in and the shit you get back.

(Of course, again, it could be different with who you work for, I'm sure some shops are better than others).

This is one of my major worries. My mind keeps telling me it would too little extra pay for a great deal more stress.

This is one of my major worries. My mind keeps telling me it would too little extra pay for a great deal more stress.

You've just gotta remind yourself it's not the end goal, it's just a short-lived stage on the way to something better which lies beyond it.

If it is the end goal, then you probably shouldn't.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Look at it this way: if on your cv you have risen the ranks wherever you go, you must be doing something right. It may be a shitty low end job but there is tangible proof there that you put in the hard yards (obviously that is not how the world really works but it is plausible evidence).

Lirlond

In Tesco I got a £3ph wage jump. It worked out quite well. It was well worth the small amount of extra work. The only difficulty you'll get is from your boss' boss.

NinjaBoiX

My wage doubled when I renewed my ECS card, I didn't even ask for it! I guess they figured I might leave otherwise.

I would've done by now to be fair.

Top Bottom