• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm off to Canada tomorrow. And you know what's mysterious? The flight out there is going to take 11h30m and the flight home will take 7hr50m. I know there's always a difference, but I've never had a 3.5 hour difference before. The outward journey is almost 50% more than the return leg! It wasn't like that when I flew to San Francisco. It must go some mad way over the north or something.

Anyway, I hate long flights. Sucking up my work internet downloading tons of shit I'll almost certainly never read. The most important thing, obv, is the 12 packs of Percy Pigs I definitely don't have hidden in my hand luggage.

Just be careful you don't get arrested for those high-grade goods. Percy Pigs are fit.

8bit

Knows the Score
Are you maybe flying back when the clocks change in Europe? They've already changed in Canada, so might explain the discrepancy.

Son Of D

I've had a phone interview for a company to work down in Milton Keynes after I graduate, and it seemed to go fairly well since they asked me about possible dates when I'd be free to come for a face-to-face interview.

If I do end up getting a job there it'd mean moving from Manchester, so I was wondering - does anyone here know what Milton Keynes is like to live in?

As someone who used to live in Milton Keynes and sometimes has to go there because my brother lives there.

Don't go there. From what I've seen and also what my brother told me most people want to leave there but can't due to finances. Also apparently the police service there is shit.

tumblr_mhntvkYWYU1qelvl1o3_500.gif

About as exciting as MK gets.

That seems more like Devon than MK.

Just be careful you don't get arrested for those high-grade goods. Percy Pigs are fit.

That's why I have 12 packs - I'd normally have 11, one's to bribe the customs guard.

Are you maybe flying back when the clocks change in Europe? They've already changed in Canada, so might explain the discrepancy.

Maybe, but they actually list the flight length. I'd assume that was the actual time you're expected to be in the air rather than a calculation based on times but you may well be right.

Is Seinfeld worth watching these days? I've always wanted to but the DVD box set was silly money on amazon, we're talking like £200. It looks like it's been reprinted though, so is currently £60... I'm tempted.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Is Seinfeld worth watching these days? I've always wanted to but the DVD box set was silly money on amazon, we're talking like £200. It looks like it's been reprinted though, so is currently £60... I'm tempted.

I love it, but it's not for everyone. It also takes a while to hit its stride. But when it does it's fabulously insular, misanthropic and self-aware - with a dash of the absurd.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

It is excellent. The first series (Seinfeld chronicles) is bad, with the second season gradually improving. It isn't until "Parking Garage" and "Chinese Restaurant" that the series gets going.

If you like any of the modern sitcoms with misanthropic characters - AD, Sunny, Curb etc. then you will definitely like it because Seinfeld is the father of that style.

I would disagree with Sploatee: it is fairly accessible given that the comedy revolves around everyday situations that most people have experienced.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It is excellent. The first series (Seinfeld chronicles) is bad, with the second season gradually improving. It isn't until "Parking Garage" and "Chinese Restaurant" that the series gets going.

If you like any of the modern sitcoms with misanthropic characters - AD, Sunny, Curb etc. then you will definitely like it because Seinfeld is the father of that style.

I would disagree with Sploatee: it is fairly accessible given that the comedy revolves around everyday situations that most people have experienced.

You think? I'm probably wrong. It always felt like a Jewish thing to me.

I love it, but it's not for everyone. It also takes a while to hit its stride. But when it does it's fabulously insular, misanthropic and self-aware - with a dash of the absurd.

I kind of assume I'd like it based on loving Frasier and Curb and AD and liking Cheers and just a general sit-com appreciation, but yeah. I'll probably get it now it's cheap, I think, I certainly don't know what that banana fellow is talking about.

Oh, and I fucking love Sunny, so it kind of sounds like it's probably for me!

I'm writing bits and pieces of a sit-com at the moment, and sometimes it makes me sad watching all these classics. Like, I can sit and adore Arrested Development but all I can think is that I'm never, ever going to be able to write a character as good as Tobias.

I still need to catch up with the latest season of Sunny. I hear one of the episodes is one of the best they've ever done.

Yeah, the new series is incredible. There's a couple of stinkers, but for the most part it's just amazing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
You think? I'm probably wrong. It always felt like a Jewish thing to me.

I see where you are coming from, but it was INSANELY popular in the US. Never given a chance here, but the comedy is so accessible despite the misanthropy. Things like Community, 30 Rock, AD all seem more accessible because they are cheerier and tonally positive but the comedy itself is exclusive.

I still need to catch up with the latest season of Sunny. I hear one of the episodes is one of the best they've ever done.

It is a FIVE STAR season.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I see where you are coming from, but it was INSANELY popular in the US. Never given a chance here, but the comedy is so accessible despite the misanthropy. Things like Community, 30 Rock, AD all seem more accessible because they are cheerier and tonally positive but the comedy itself is exclusive.

It is a FIVE STAR season.

True - I think in the UK it always seemed like a niche thing. It was definitely something which a lot of Jewish people watched - it felt like a pretty accurate portrayal of life! George Costanza was a legend in my house growing up.

I'm off to Canada tomorrow. And you know what's mysterious? The flight out there is going to take 11h30m and the flight home will take 7hr50m. I know there's always a difference, but I've never had a 3.5 hour difference before. The outward journey is almost 50% more than the return leg! It wasn't like that when I flew to San Francisco. It must go some mad way over the north or something.

Anyway, I hate long flights. Sucking up my work internet downloading tons of shit I'll almost certainly never read. The most important thing, obv, is the 12 packs of Percy Pigs I definitely don't have hidden in my hand luggage.
If you're in Toronto and like to get a bit freaked out, you absolutely have to go check out CN Tower's glass floor along with the edgewalk.
glass-floor1.jpg

edgewalk08.jpg

I've only sat on the glass floor, but if I go there again, edgewalk is definitely on the agenda.

Volotaire

If you're in Toronto and like to get a bit freaked out, you absolutely have to go check out CN Tower's glass floor along with the edgewalk.
glass-floor1.jpg

edgewalk08.jpg

I've only sat on the glass floor, but if I go there again, edgewalk is definitely on the agenda.

Wait, there's no barrier on that edgewalk!? I would not be able to not do that.

Skele7on

Banned
just signed all of my documents for new job.

I have never signed so many in my life, we're talking 30 pages to sign.

Being an adult is hard.

Wait, there's no barrier on that edgewalk!? I would not be able to not do that.
Nope. It's for people who want an adrenaline rush.
For people who don't want that, I bet they'll just look up if any accidents have happened for any adrenaline rush activity and justify themselves of not wanting to do it.

Edgewalks now added along with skydiving and bungee jumping as things I need to absolutely try, if given the opportunity.

I mean, if I've done stuff like this,
http://i.minus.com/iBnmVQkyxAcMt.gif
http://i.minus.com/iSeKAyODSGSe9.gif
then I have to try the more hardcore stuff.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
just signed all of my documents for new job.

I have never signed so many in my life, we're talking 30 pages to sign.

Being an adult is hard.

DEREK:
Mm-cha mm-cha mm-cha mm-cha,
mm-cha ..... (repeats over and over)
CLIVE:
Oooh-la-la-la-la, oop North, you know, we have a different point of view. And here, from the North country we have a wonderful comic and he's a great bloke, I'd like you welcome him here and now, he's Alfie Noakes and he's got stories from the North!
DEREK:
(makes sound of ecstatic audience applause, then belches)
CLIVE:
Hello, ah-ha-ha! Hallo! my name is Alfie Noakes, and .....
DEREK:
No, my name is Alfie Noakes!
CLIVE:
Oh! Your name is Alfie Noakes?
DEREK:
Yeah!
CLIVE:
Hallo Alfie!
DEREK:
Hallo Alfie, how are you?
CLIVE:
Aaaaayyyyyeee, nice to meet you!
DEREK:
Ehh, nice to see you. Yes, how are you Alfie?
CLIVE:
Great to see you!
DEREK:
Yeah, yeah, yeah .....
CLIVE:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah .....
DEREK:
Ah, ya fuckin'- Aah.
CLIVE:
Aye, aye
DEREK:
Oh.
CLIVE:
Well, my name is Alfie Noakes, and I remember the time your mother .....
DEREK:
Yeah.
CLIVE:
..... had cancer of the arsehole!
DEREK:
Oh! That was a funny one, wasn't it! Yeah! She said .....
CLIVE:
Oh, that was a funny one! Oh, I love that! Yes, I love that!
DEREK:
She said .....
CLIVE:
Oh, you love that folks! Listen to Alfie, tell it.
DEREK:
'Ere, I said to her, I said, I said, I said, I said, .....
CLIVE:
She said - what'd you hear? What'd you say? .....
DEREK:
..... I said, "Mother-", I said, "Mother-", .....
CLIVE:
..... What'd you say? What'd you say? What'd you say? .....
DEREK:
..... I said, "Mother, you've got so m-", I said "Mother", I said, I said, "Mother, you've got so much-", .....
CLIVE:
..... He said, "Mother, mother", he said, "Mother", he said, "Mother", he said - what'd you-, "Mother", he said, "Mother", he said, "Mother", he said. What'd you say? .....
DEREK:
..... Oh, I said, no, leave it, I said, "Mother", .....
CLIVE:
..... He said, "Mother", he said, "Mother", he said. What'd you say? .....
DEREK:
..... no, I said, I said, "Mother", I said, no, well, I'll tell you what I said, .....
CLIVE:
..... He said, "Mother", he said, "Mother", I said, "Mother". What'd you say? .....
DEREK:
..... I said, "Mother", I said, "Mother", I said, "Mother", I said, .....
CLIVE:
..... I said, "Mother", I said, "Mother", I said. What'd you say?
DEREK:
..... I said, "Mother", I said, "Mother", I said, "Mother", I said, "Mother", .....
CLIVE:
..... I said, "Mother, mother." What'd you say?
DEREK:
CANCER!!!!!!
CLIVE:
Oh!
DEREK:
And she said to me .....
CLIVE:
Ah!
DEREK:
Ah-huugh-arrgh-ugh-oh! And I laughed! I've never laughed so much before.
CLIVE:
Oh, Alfie Noakes, that is the most wonderful joke I've ever heard.
DEREK:
Ah-hoo!
CLIVE:
But, never mind .....
DEREK:
Oh! (laughs)
CLIVE:
..... we've got more people coming into the room and we've got none other than my young companion, Alfie Noakes.
DEREK:
Hello Alfie!
CLIVE:
Hallo Alfie! Alfie!
DEREK:
How are you Alfie?
CLIVE:
Hallo love! Alfie, I'm fine!
DEREK:
Ya-hurgh, I said to her, .....
CLIVE:
Yes, ah, yes, yes .....
DEREK:
I said to her, .....
CLIVE:
I want to tell you a story, .....
DEREK:
..... yeah, oh, wh-, yeah.
CLIVE:
..... I want to tell you a story. There's this bloke, and he's Irish and he's Jewish and he's Pakistani and he's stupid and he's lost his teeth .....
DEREK:
Ahh-hugh-ho-ho!
CLIVE:
..... and all his h-, all his hair fell out .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
Oh-hoo! And .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
..... all his hair fell out .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
..... and his legs fell off .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
..... and, er, .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo! Oh-
CLIVE:
..... his, his, his cock got sliced off by a lawn mower!
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
And he said, oh-hoo, .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
..... he said, "I'm not feeling too well."
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
And this black bloke came round and said to him, .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
..... "If you're not feeling well, .....
DEREK:
Oh-hoo!
CLIVE:
..... you should see how I'm feeling!"
DEREK:
Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!
CLIVE:
Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!!! That's Alfie Noakes folks!
DEREK:
(makes sound of ecstatic audience applause)

Scuderia

Hey BritGaf, my friend from school was killed last week fighting against Islamic State in Syria (unfortunately he also claims the first Briton killed spot). There's a bit of a fundraising page been set up in his memory and i'm just trying to get a bit of word out there for anyone who would like to contribute for this hero. It's all for charity, so no personal gains here.

https://www.justgiving.com/KostasOliveTree

News article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31730844

Sorry if this isn't allowed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are you joining MI6 or something?

Just wink if you're not allowed to tell us.

Technically if it was for MI5 or 6 he'd not even be allowed to tell us that he was applying for a job.

So therefore, by the deduction you haven't told us you're applying for a job, I'm assuming you are joining MI6!

Technically if it was for MI5 or 6 he'd not even be allowed to tell us that he was applying for a job.

So therefore, by the deduction you haven't told us you're applying for a job, I'm assuming you are joining MI6!

Brilliant. Now I've been fired. Thanks a lot.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Jeremy Clarkson's suspension has reminded me that I haven't watched Top Gear for around five years.

Eh? Suspension?

I'd like for him to be shot!

Yes yes yes I vote Green and eat Quorn yadda yadda but I really don't like that man. He's in the Katie Hopkins / Richard Littlejohn bracket of the few people I actually despise.

Skele7on

Banned
I really do think that the obsession with loving that cunt is just weird, people who want him to be PM need a serious reality check.

I dislike topgear, cars are meh,

as for Clarkson he is typically a balding mans midlife crisis dream boat.

Hey BritGaf, my friend from school was killed last week fighting against Islamic State in Syria (unfortunately he also claims the first Briton killed spot). There's a bit of a fundraising page been set up in his memory and i'm just trying to get a bit of word out there for anyone who would like to contribute for this hero. It's all for charity, so no personal gains here.

https://www.justgiving.com/KostasOliveTree

News article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31730844

Sorry if this isn't allowed.

A hero, this Konstandinos Erik Scurfield. Thank you for informing about it.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I see you both have similar views on people you don't like!

heheh

Boom!

A hero, this Konstandinos Erik Scurfield. Thank you for informing about it.

Yes. Thanks. Sorry if you thought I was ignoring your post.

In the interest of keeping the political discussion to the UK PoliGAF thread and to ensure no aggressive debates, I will say I disagree in light of recent events.

Happy to have a pleasant discussion. I'm open minded! There's little chance of me voting Tory, UKIP or BNP though.

clarkson is a fart. an absolute fart. top gear is the epitome of anti-intelligence lad-banter waheyyy cars and aren't women stupid and oh look at that funny man with the dark skin shit. it's the sun newspaper of television and one of the few things the bbc should apologise for.

that and the child abuse i guess.

Derek and Clive: Special Extended BluRay Edition

jkMVhTX.gif

I really do think that the obsession with loving that cunt is just weird, people who want him to be PM need a serious reality check.

I dislike topgear, cars are meh,

as for Clarkson he is typically a balding mans midlife crisis dream boat.

I've been mildly entertained by Top Gear before. I would totally not care about Clarkson in the same way that I don't care about Alan Titchmarsh if folk didn't get all hot and bothered about him. But because he winds people up so much I have decided to like him. Welcome to my thought process.

EDIT

Oh yes and the Greens. I totally understand the motivation to vote for them: they're a Lefter Than Labour Party that isn't the scandalous Lib Dems. But upon closer examination some of they're policies are fairly mental and I get the impression they're inexperienced when it comes to issues that aren't Climate Change or Trident.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
jkMVhTX.gif

I've been mildly entertained by Top Gear before. I would totally not care about Clarkson in the same way that I don't care about Alan Titchmarsh if folk didn't get all hot and bothered about him. But because he winds people up so much I have decided to like him. Welcome to my thought process.

I don't understand the GIF. are you saying you don't like Derek and Clive? This makes me sad.

I thought you'd be a Clarkson fan! I'd be wary of Clarkson being horrible about folks like me (pick one). What do you think of Nigel Farage? You know, I don't trust him but he seems quite personable.

I don't understand the GIF. are you saying you don't like Derek and Clive? This makes me sad.

I thought you'd be a Clarkson fan! I'd be wary of Clarkson being horrible about folks like me (pick one). What do you think of Nigel Farage? You know, I don't trust him but he seems quite personable.

I'd love to be parry to the things he undoubtedly says behind closed doors and off camera. He would be like my granddad on a rant.

You've exposed my ignorance, I didn't know you were quoting an actual double act. I thought that was some bizarre stream of conscience. If you put yourself in my shoes the gif makes sense.

I wouldn't say fan. I just like to exaggerate when I'm around people that don't like him in order to annoy (sorry). The last time I watched a full episode of the show was probably three years ago. I certainly like Hammond less than him for reasons I can't fully explain and don't really have an opinion on James May.

As for Farage I think you picked the right word there: "personable". He's got a certain charisma and UKIP would be nowhere without him, perhaps slightly more popular than the English Democrats. As a politician I think he's quite gifted, a good speaker and I believe he's motivated by genuine passion, something rare in UK politics.But it's just a shame about his policies. I wouldn't mind if it was just a Eurosceptic party, I think that's a legitimate position. But to get where he has he's had to take an anti-immigration line which brings all the wrong sort of people to his side, party members and voters included, so the whole issue is tainted now. When I see him I see a man trying desperately to hold all the idiots in his party in line. Without him that party is over. I imagine trying to keep it afloat is pretty stressful.

That was a kind of long winded and roundabout answer but I hope you found it illuminating.

BONUS EDIT

Made me think of this song.

XTC - Making Plans for Nigel

Top Bottom