• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

I'm on a list? Sweet!

The first and (particularly) last hour of RoTJ is the absolute fucking nuts. The way the final three battles interweave and influence each other, without a break in the music, is some seriously top notch cinema. Great way to end the trilogy.

At least we can all agree A New Hope is wank.

rotj is ruined by ewoks. fucking ewoks. and jim henson's jabba's palace.

The_Poet

Banned
Top gear is amazing and you should all feel bad.

Day 2 of broken friendships, caught up on two topics, attended meeting for attendance and finalised my course choices. Also prepared for lab exams and about 20% through written report due Monday.

Must keep this up.

Top Gear is shit and I dont feel bad.

Keep at it bro.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
rotj is ruined by ewoks. fucking ewoks. and jim henson's jabba's palace.

Oh, I see. You're one of them.

giphy.gif

Nothing is ever ruined by using a tribe of vicious, carnivorous teddy bears to make a Vietnam analogy. Nothing. They're brilliant. They're ludicrous. Most of all, they're fun.

Also, Jabba's Palace is an amazing opening sequence to a fantasy film, right up there with Club Obi Wan from Temple of Doom. Exciting, dramatic and a great way to conclude the despair of ESB.

You are dead inside.

Skele7on

Banned

giphy.gif

Nothing is ever ruined by using a tribe of vicious, carnivorous teddy bears to make a Vietnam analogy. Nothing. They're brilliant. They're ludicrous. Most of all, they're fun.

Also, Jabba's Palace is an amazing opening sequence to a fantasy film, right up there with Club Obi Wan from Temple of Doom. Exciting, dramatic and a great way to conclude the despair of ESB.

You are dead inside.

THIS MAN GETS IT. SEEE

The_Poet

Banned

You are dead inside.

B..B..But cuddly teddy bears in my action films aren't manly!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I like the Ewoks and I used to love singing yub yub.

Yub yub! Der der yub yub! Yub yub dee dee do!

Still don't like the bit when Yoda dies. I think the internet calls it 'feels'. Poor little Yoda.

The Ewoks are shit for a number of reasons.

The battle on Endor is supposed to be the counter point to Luke's showdown with Palpatine. The Emperor is trying to seed the fear that all of Luke's friends will die, that Han and Leia will be killed by a legion of stormtroopers and fail to destroy the shield generator protecting the Death Star. If the plan fails the Rebel fleet will be destroyed as well, so the fate of not only Luke's friends but the entire Rebellion is at stake.

With this in mind, the battle on Endor should have some semblance of tension, desperation etc. It should be a struggle against an overwhelming force, the way the battle of Hoth was depicted. Instead, it's a joke. The battle scene does the reverse of what it's supposed to and relieves tension. You're not in any way worried that Han and Leia might fail, or that anything bad will happen to them.

This also subtracts from the Luke and Palpatine scenes, because the Emperor has boasted about his elite legions of stormptroopers and that everything that has happened has done so according to his plan. He allowed the Rebellion to discover the location of the shield generator, he baited them into a last ditch offensive. This gives us a sense for the first time of how powerful Palpatine actually is. So again, we should be worried. Because Luke clearly is and that fear and anger is almost enough to turn him to the Dark Side. If you watch Luke and Vader's lightsaber duel, the moment where Luke defeats Vader with savage blows and cuts off his hand, you can see in his face he is so close to falling to the Dark Side.

But in the end the Ewoks are cute and silly and the stormtroopers are useless and that tension evaporates, undermining the perception that the Empire is a threat and the Emperor himself is powerful.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Who said I was trying to get BG's attention? The whole thing king thing is just a joke.

Then again, maybe it isn't.

And I'm sorry, if I was watching Return of the Jedi for the first time way back in 1983 in the current state that I'm in, I would be utterly disappointed that the original trilogy ended like that. Reuse of the Death Star, first act that can't figure out when to end, the space battles mattering very little in the grand scheme of things, and even the whole build up of Luke potentially turning to the Dark Side ends in an utter anticlimax when he simply throws down his sword, declaring in one short sentence that he'll never be like his father. Similar to when in Episode III, Anakin did the immediate heel turn. The Ewoks were the least of that movie's problems.

And PSHHH! You probably only don't like A New Hope because it was the only one LOOOOKAAAAS directed.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
And I'm sorry, if I was watching Return of the Jedi for the first time way back in 1983 in the current state that I'm in,

That, right there, is your problem.

But in the end the Ewoks are cute and silly and the stormtroopers are useless and that tension evaporates, undermining the perception that the Empire is a threat and the Emperor himself is powerful.

I disagree wholeheartedly and unreservedly. There is plenty of tension throughout the last hour across all 3 battles: dead ewoks, Leia shot, cornered by an AT-ST, plans uncovered, shields still up, Death Star blasting Mon Calamari Cruisers, the Rebel fleet almost fleeing, Luke cowering then being swallowed by his anger, The Emperor cackling away as everything happens as he had foreseen it...

...I'd go on but Daddy Duties are calling.

Suffice it to say, I believe that last hour or so is a genuinely amazing cinematic achievement and you'd have to be pretty jaded not to be pulled along with it's carefully orchestrated and beautifully paced ebb and flow.

This is because I didn't like your mixtape, isn't it? ;P

I disagree wholeheartedly and unreservedly. There is plenty of tension throughout the last hour across all 3 battles: dead ewoks, Leia shot, cornered by an AT-ST, plans uncovered, shields still up, Death Star blasting Mon Calamari Cruisers, the Rebel fleet almost fleeing, Luke cowering then being swallowed by his anger, The Emperor cackling away as everything happens as he had foreseen it...

...I'd go on but Daddy Duties are calling.

Suffice it to say, I believe that last hour or so is a genuinely amazing cinematic achievement and you'd have to be pretty jaded not to be pulled along with it's carefully orchestrated and beautifully paced ebb and flow.

This is because I didn't like your mixtape, isn't it? ;P

Yes they saw fit to add some drama when one of the Ewoks gets hit and his comrade tries to get him up before realising he's dead. So sad I almost forgot about the Ewok on the hang glider or the ones that try to trip up an AT-ST and get dragged along behind it.

The scene is a joke. The last hour remains good despite the Ewoks, I'm not saying RotJ is a bad film, I'm saying it could have been much better had the Ewoks been ditched and the entire tone of the battle reconsidered. It's not enough to say there was tension elsewhere, the film suffers because of the inconsistency.

EDIT

I actually detested the Ewoks long before your brutal attack on my tastes.

Skele7on

Banned
you guys do know that really Ewoks are evil little bastards and not only nearly ate luke and han solo, they actually feasted on all the storm troopers before making their helmets into drums.

Reknoc

you guys do know that really Ewoks are evil little bastards and not only nearly ate luke and han solo, they actually feasted on all the storm troopers before making their helmets into drums.

There's nothing evil about a creature eating someone though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yes they saw fit to add some drama when one of the Ewoks gets hit and his comrade tries to get him up before realising he's dead. So sad I almost forgot about the Ewok on the hang glider or the ones that try to trip up an AT-ST and get dragged along behind it.

The scene is a joke. The last hour remains good despite the Ewoks, I'm not saying RotJ is a bad film, I'm saying it could have been much better had the Ewoks been ditched and the entire tone of the battle reconsidered. It's not enough to say there was tension elsewhere, the film suffers because of the inconsistency.

It's a kid's fantasy film, man, not an unflinching look at the horrors of war. It's pretty dark as it is without having napalm-scorch Ewoks and blood splattered Stormtroopers too.

I think you're being rather selective in your memory too. Forgetting the fact that one of the principal characters gets shot and then cornered by an AT-ST, that an Ewok glider is shot down, and that the Ewoks being dragged by the chicken-walker is inductive of their ineffectiveness (I'm sure there are other moments too), the intercutting between each battle scene is part of what helps create and maintain the tension: where one battle goes badly, so do the others that follow. Where one battle goes well, so do the others that follow. It's a brilliantly effective technique because it not only shows its epic scope, it makes it almost like one battle.

I'm gonna put it down to your fascist blood boiling at the sight of such a magnificent Empire being brought down by Teddy Ruxpin's extended family. ;P

I actually detested the Ewoks long before your brutal attack on my tastes.

I was brutal...? Certainly not my intention, old bean. I thought I blamed myself entirely for not understanding the nuances of your particular brand of musics. Sorry, dude.

There's nothing evil about a creature eating someone though.

They're ruthless little cunts, Liam.

It's a kid's fantasy film, man, not an unflinching look at the horrors of war. It's pretty dark as it is without having napalm-scorch Ewoks and blood splattered Stormtroopers too.

I think you're being rather selective in your memory too. Forgetting the fact that one of the principal characters gets shot and then cornered by an AT-ST, that an Ewok glider is shot down, and that the Ewoks being dragged by the chicken-walker is inductive of their ineffectiveness (I'm sure there are other moments too), the intercutting between each battle scene is part of what helps create and maintain the tension: where one battle goes badly, so do the others that follow. Where one battle goes well, so do the others that follow. It's a brilliantly effective technique because it not only shows its epic scope, it makes it almost like one battle.

I'm gonna put it down to your fascist blood boiling at the sight of such a magnificent Empire being brought down by Teddy Ruxpin's extended family. ;P

As much as it would have cheered me to see the Ewoks tumbling into a mass grave, or their heads being stomped so hard beneath white plastic jackboots that their eyes flew out, lamenting that the scene wasn't taken seriously enough is not the same as asking for All Quiet On The Endor Front.

I mean just because the furry fuck in the hang glider got shot down doesn't somehow make the dick ass boyscout antics any more serious or engaging. I don't know if I mentioned it already but within the last few weeks I have rewatched the entire saga, though I was pretty fucking high when I did, not that the fact detracts from my ability to critique. So it's fairly fresh in my mind. I'm not 100% but I don't remember Leia getting shot in the arm ever being mentioned again and it seemed quickly forgotten at the time. Cornered by an AS-ST? You mean the one Chewbacca was driving?

The splicing of the three battles is one of the great thing about RotJ however, I agree with you on that. I could handle the Ewoks if it had existed anywhere else in the saga but it is too shamelessly goofy for me to hold such a pivotal role.

Anyway, for me at least it's enough that the Ewoks would have suffered the fallout of billions of tons of metal raining down on them from the lower atmoshpere as a consequence of the Death Star's destruction.

fXl74YE.jpg

I was brutal...? Certainly not my intention, old bean. I thought I blamed myself entirely for not understanding the nuances of your particular brand of musics. Sorry, dude.

I was actually joking here.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
As much as it would have cheered me to see the Ewoks tumbling into a mass grave, or their heads being stomped so hard beneath white plastic jackboots that their eyes flew out, lamenting that the scene wasn't taken seriously enough is not the same as asking for All Quiet On The Endor Front.

I... I actually want to see that.

I mean just because the furry fuck in the hang glider got shot down doesn't somehow make the dick ass boyscout antics any more serious or engaging. I don't know if I mentioned it already but within the last few weeks I have rewatched the entire saga, though I was pretty fucking high when I did, not that the fact detracts from my ability to critique. So it's fairly fresh in my mind. I'm not 100% but I don't remember Leia getting shot in the arm ever being mentioned again and it seemed quickly forgotten at the time. Cornered by an AS-ST? You mean the one Chewbacca was driving?

Yeah, but neither of those things are known during a first viewing, are they?

Anyway, for me at least it's enough that the Ewoks would have suffered the fallout of billions of tons of metal raining down on them from the lower atmoshpere as a consequence of the Death Star's destruction.

fXl74YE.jpg

...having gourged themselves on the flesh of the Stormtrooper corpses. There are worse ways to die.

I was actually joking here.

I call Poe's Law!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Nobody is giving reasons against the Greens. I've never been to poligaf. It is because if you start politics, it turns into a gamergate / trans / sarkeesian thread?

Really sorry

Erm. Sen's Fortress is so good. Sorry guys! BUT IT IS!!! Actual proper design by adult people who are capable of creative and independent thought!

I feel really snobby about games tonight. I'm from now on only going to play Souls games, arty games and/or indies. That's proper taste, right?

I'll play the odd Platinum game but I find them a bit too much like dessert.

I'm credible, homie!

Er

Goodnight !

I think most peoples' issue with the Greens, and with anyone outside of Labour and the Conservatives, is that you feel they'd lack the experience to actually run the country. Like, their policies and all that are agreeable, but if they were actually in charge you don't feel like they'd actually really know what to do.

They don't have the benefit of having operated a shadow cabinet for four years for that experience, and I doubt they ever will. Kind of a vicious circle.

banofypie

Banned
I've been tempted to just drop everything and go to Rezzed on Saturday for the Playtonic session, but I'll just watch it online instead. Should be fine.

I think most peoples' issue with the Greens, and with anyone outside of Labour and the Conservatives, is that you feel they'd lack the experience to actually run the country.

as opposed to the years of experience the old parties have of lying to us and failing to achieve what they set out to do?

also dapper wtf mannnnng. thought u were cool.

NinjaBoiX

Sen's Fortress is so good. Sorry guys! BUT IT IS!!! Actual proper design by adult people who are capable of creative and independent thought!

I feel really snobby about games tonight. I'm from now on only going to play Souls games, arty games and/or indies. That's proper taste, right?

I'll play the odd Platinum game but I find them a bit too much like dessert.

I'm credible, homie!
Couldn't disagree more, I hate Sen's Fortress! Bland and annoyingly fiddly to navigate. Creative and independent design?

"They're nearing the top of the fortress now, we need to up the challenge."

"Um, I dunno, we could make the walkways narrower? Maybe a few more of those arrow trap things?"

"Genius!"

I can appreciate aspects of Dark Souls as truly brilliant but level design definitely isn't one of them, particularly that big, empty set that is Anor Londo.

And whoever conceived Blighttown can go fuck themselves, the single worst area I've ever had to fumble through in a game.

Undead Burg was pretty cool, it was all downhill from there.

as opposed to the years of experience the old parties have of lying to us and failing to achieve what they set out to do?

They lie and cheat and steal but at the same time, you kind of trust that at least they're not going to take the entire country down.

The Greens are too much of an unknown quantity to actually hand over power to. Like, I genuinely don't trust where their numbers come from. Their goals are noble and just, but I don't think they really know how to achieve them and if they had power, they'd really struggle to do anything.

Politics is always about picking the lesser of evils, and yeah, it's a pretty shit situation when that's Labour, but that's the situation we're in.

SKINNER!

Banned
CHEEZMO™;155568946 said:
It's full of liberals and cranks and supports many liberal and crank policies imo

:(

I thought you were cool Cheezmo. I ... thought..you..were..cool.

Commie bastard

that kind of thinking is scary and dooms us all to the same cycle of shit time and time again. the problem is i am sure you're not alone in those feelings.

Yeah, I won't deny it's not a problem, but it's up to the leadership of the Green party to convince people they know what they're doing, and they haven't done the best job of that.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'll be honest, it's a bit of a protest vote for me - and I may switch before the election - but right now I can't stomach Ed Miliband. I wish Labour had someone like Andy Burnham in charge or an actual Labour politician.

Going to EGX Rezzed tomorrow, got a 3 day pass.

Created a thread for it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008799

Enjoy!

Couldn't disagree more, I hate Sen's Fortress! Bland and annoyingly fiddly to navigate. Creative and independent design?

"They're nearing the top of the fortress now, we need to up the challenge."

"Um, I dunno, we could make the walkways narrower? Maybe a few more of those arrow trap things?"

"Genius!"

I can appreciate aspects of Dark Souls as truly brilliant but level design definitely isn't one of them, particularly that big, empty set that is Anor Londo.

And whoever conceived Blighttown can go fuck themselves, the single worst area I've ever had to fumble through in a game.

Undead Burg was pretty cool, it was all downhill from there.

:-O

Sen's Fortress is incredible.
The first room teaches you to be aware of the tap floorpads and also that, if you time it correctly, you can use them as weapons against the man-serpents. It gives you space to be able to circle the enemies - one of the few places where you actually have that luxury. And it's not just a case of "oh more walkways!" - didn't you notice that gradually the walkways get thinner and thinner and more challenging? right from the start the level teaches you to be able to manage snipers while you're on a narrow walkway and then gradually narrows those walkways (and decreases the gap between pendulums) - it's a masterpiece of a gradual escalation of difficulty. It says a lot that once you've got the hang of some of the narrower walkways, it becomes second nature to get past the earlier ones.

Restricted movement's a theme throughout the level - that's why right in the pit below the fortress you have tar which slows you down and right at the top with the Iron Golem you only have a small arena in which to fight - and one that shrinks no less (just like the walkways you'd already been experiencing). There's also a great contrast between some of the open areas up on the roof and the narrow staircases down below.

Sen's Fortress is a masterclass in how to teach the player about spatial awareness and environmental awareness. It's almost like training wheels for some of the later challenges in the game - which in a ludonarrative sense (sorry) is absolutely perfect as that's the function it performs in the plot - it's meant to be a test for those that want to travel to Anor Londo.

And creative design....what about how the stairs are worn down from the boulders rolling down them? The giant golems that actually throw the boulders down? The statues (?) of the silver knights all eerily laid around? A pit with 4 titanite demons and snipers (how's that for a variation on a theme?), the way that you can be nimble and recover quickly while the golems themselves have limited movement and get tired quickly? Not to mention amazing use of sound to foreshadow (hisses of serpents, clang of machinery) and contrast - the really dark - almost drained - greens and blues and the bright exterior? And the fact that once you get to the top you can see the entirety of the Undead Burg you've just conquered - again adding to that sense of summation before you head off to Anor Londo?

Sorry, O.B. you're just plain wrong. Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong. We can do Anor Londo next :p and then every single other level, if you'd like.

The_Poet

Banned
You calling me an Arse Soul?

What just cos I wear Plim Souls?

Look if you don't like the game because of taste that's one thing. But I will not have anybody insult my child's level design!

That post was in jest,
Not meant to offend.
I think you're the best,
Certainly, a friend.

I had but one aim;
Make a silly pun.
Based upon a game,
It's meant in good fun.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That post was in jest,
Not meant to offend.