• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

ZxlneM3.png

Sorry for all the images, just so much shitposting can be made around this mess.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The UK's bargaining position is pretty pathetic really, at the end of the day we have no important natural resources and no unique or overwhelming amount of skilled employees. At worst failure to reach agreement on a new deal for the UK would hurt the EU for a few years while they invest inside the EU to replace our services & automotive manufacturing capacity, but it would destroy 44% of the UK's export market, that would never be recovered and there's no other market in the world that could make up the difference.

In terms of European trade and investment, the UK is going to become a flyover country between Ireland and the mainland, if you have Irish grandparents, get your passport applications in now to beat the rush.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
BTW, counting with ultraprotectionist India to come and save the day for the UK with a sweetheart trade deal is the dumbest thing one could ever imagine. Actual lalala fantasy land stuff.

agree with that.... this is the opening negotiation to me, with one caveat, I don't think she will move on immigration control

Then negotiations will be quite easy.

EU: So, where do we start?
UK: Immigration, big no for us.
EU: Fine. Anything else?
UK: We still want free trade.
EU: No.
UK: Uhh, wait... you are hurting yourself!
EU: ...

Ugh so she directly is saying cus Immigration is god that's why we have to do it fully. Years and years of right wing rhetoric and scapegoating by the government and beyond has us hurting ourselves to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

The people hurting who voted Brexit, who wanted change, this isn't the change that will help them. And it's just all gonna hurt so much...

Tak3n

Banned
The UK's bargaining position is pretty pathetic really, at the end of the day we have no important natural resources and no unique or overwhelming amount of skilled employees. At worst failure to reach agreement on a new deal for the UK would hurt the EU for a few years while they invest inside the EU to replace our services & automotive manufacturing capacity, but it would destroy 44% of the UK's export market, that would never be recovered and there's no other market in the world that could make up the difference.

In terms of European trade and investment, the UK is going to become a flyover country between Ireland and the mainland, if you have Irish grandparents, get your passport applications in now to beat the rush.

sssshhhhhhh don't tell the EU that....

Huh? Pretty clear from the speech that she wants a Canada style trade agreement. You can think that's the wrong approach (I do) but it's not an unreasonable thing to try to negotiate with the EU.

She basically said she wanted the strongest trade deal excluding immigration and sorta threated the EU - what about the Spanish fishers lol.

This is all about immigration.

sammex

It went back up during her speech because the markets like the certainty of knowing what's in place.

Also because they briefed the press of the bad news before her speech. If there had been no leaks about us coming out of the single market the initial drop would have happened during the speech.

A clever move, you've got to hand it to them.

Too early to see I guess.

It.. went.. up???

[faints}

Explain how May can confirm we're leaving the single market when the terms have to go through a parliamentary vote. She can't guarantee anything because she doesn't dictate the terms.

Over six months since the referendum and the whole situation continues to feel like total madness to me.

Huh? Pretty clear from the speech that she wants a Canada style trade agreement. You can think that's the wrong approach (I do) but it's not an unreasonable thing to try to negotiate with the EU.
It is when the EU have made it abundantly clear they won't budge on this.

Plum

The UK's bargaining position is pretty pathetic really, at the end of the day we have no important natural resources and no unique or overwhelming amount of skilled employees.

What are you talking about? We have the most sought after natural resource in the world; British ingenuity and a "make do and mend!" attitude! As for skilled employees, are you saying that Dave down the pub who mended my car that one time isn't skilled? We're the most skilled country on Earth! Remoaners always trying to knock us down.

/s

Xando

I'm still interested in what May and her goverment can offer the EU to accept what she wants.

The only thing i can think of would be security but then again with Trumps recent comments we could see NATO devolving which in return would force the EU to increase defense spending and integration.

By that point the security angle wouldn't work anymore and the UK has exactly what to offer?

Zaph

Dear caller on LBC

Stop making things worse.

edit: I swear I know this lady

And she's spot on - every hotel I've stayed at in this country is cleaned by EU migrants.

Are we really going to believe in a magical reality where they'll have no choice but to massively increase wages so British people want those jobs?

Tak3n

Banned
Then negotiations will be quite easy.

EU: So, where do we start?
UK: Immigration, big no for us.
EU: Fine. Anything else?
UK: We still want free trade.
EU: No.
UK: Uhh, wait... you are hurting yourself!
EU: ...

ahh, but what I have always suspected, and people can call me out on it in 2 years.... I believe that we will end up with some immigration controls, ones which both sides can claim victory, probably pertaining to employment...i.e you must have a job to come

Oersted

You are pretty good at movies. Potter, Bond, Aardman and Hollywood has been overrun by british actors for a while now. Not too shabby lol.

If you support Britain remaining in the Single Market (or even the EU) and don't like May stitching up your future, please consider voting Liberal Democrat going forwards.

Guy.brush

I'm still interested in what May and her goverment can offer the EU to accept what she wants.

The only thing i can think of would be security but then again with Trumps recent comments we could see NATO devolving which in return would force the EU to increase defense spending and integration.

By that point the security angle wouldn't work anymore and the UK has exactly what to offer?
Glutenous, dense chocolate cake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MVZYtX5Zg

sammex

ahh, but what I have always suspected, and people can call me out on it in 2 years.... I believe that we will end up with some immigration controls, ones which both sides can claim victory, probably pertaining to employment...i.e you must have a job to come

Rules are at the moment that if you don't have a job after 3 months you have to leave or demonstrate you have significant assets.

But with Theresa May as home secretary she decided not to enforce them.

Izuna

Banned
And she's spot on - every hotel I've stayed at in this country is cleaned by EU migrants.

Are we really going to believe in a magical reality where they'll have no choice but to massively increase wages so British people want those jobs?

As someone who worked at the Great Eastern (now Andaz) for a short period. I personally don't like how seemingly 100% of entry-level positions can be entirely foreign.

These aren't low-skilled immigrants filling these positions either. Everyone I worked with in an Asian restaurant had a degree from their varying Asian countries.

And it's rarely a mix, in my experience.

I watched as the only other English dude where I worked longest was let go, mostly because none of his colleagues spoke English around him (and as such, couldn't keep up with what was going on as a bartender).

Brexit doesn't solve this -- and it's not a great scenario.

kiguel182

If the EU gives England great trading terms they might as well say goodbye to the EU since then everyone will want that but with closed borders.

What a mess this all is and all because of fear of immigration.

jelly

I think we might get to a point were they don't even initiate article 50. It's madness to do so. The EU will stand firm, May will keep talking bollocks like this. There is no compromise. Maybe the 52% will get bored of it by then and it slowly disappears, never to be talked about again or WW3 happens which puts everything on the back burner.

Perhaps if the EU changes over time as a result of mass migration and terrorism they bring back better border controls. Would Britain stay then?

Tak3n

Banned
Just on radio 5

Labour very upset she is trying to blackmail parliament by saying 'no opposition for opposition sake'

UKIP.... may just said what they have been saying for 20 years

Lib Dems....not there, probably all in a taxi stuck in traffic :)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That would be a huge knock against free movement of labour within the EU. Austria basically asked for the same thing recently.
Not that it's unreasonable, but I don't see it happening.

Audioboxer

How's the pound doing at the moment and since the result?

Speculators will have been pretty certain for the past few days how it would go today. I wouldn't expect any real ups or downs for the time being. May's been rattling on about her hard brexit for a while, the people are just having a bit of an emotional reaction as it becomes 100% reality.

Shots fired via hashtagz, big problem

Good News: UK PM will consider Scottish Government priorities.
Bad News: She ruled out single European Market #hardToryBrexit #bigproblem

https://twitter.com/AngusRobertson/status/821330751706853376

It's not like they would wise up to the fact that it's their fault though, it'll just be more blaming on others so I think there is any satisfaction in schadenfreude at all. Just suffering.

Minorities and immigrants in Britain will always be viewed with suspicion and blamed no matter what happens, will be nice for us to be able to go "Don't cry now, you asked for this". I'm slowly, but surely, running out of fucks to give about anything.

What are you talking about? We have the most sought after natural resource in the world; British ingenuity and a "make do and mend!" attitude! As for skilled employees, are you saying that Dave down the pub who mended my car that one time isn't skilled? We're the most skilled country on Earth! Remoaners always trying to knock us down.

/s

Don't forget those Cornish pasties

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Germany is leading the free world, whilst the US and UK are ruled by an authoritarian populist puppet, and an authoritarian populist.

How's the pound doing at the moment and since the result?

Pound is making slight movements going up, but to be honest wait until we trigger the leave process then we will really see the hostility of the markets. London will lose its status as the financial hub of the Europe, once that happens then its a free for all on the pound.

Hazzuh

It is when the EU have made it abundantly clear they won't budge on this.

Won't budge on what exactly? Are you really expecting there to be no agreement reached whatsoever between the the rEU and the UK? It's clearly possible to not be an EU member state and reach a trade agreement with the EU. Clearly in such a situation you won't have full access to the single market but the British government is obviously aware of that. The UK still wants the best possible access to the single market though.

People are acting like May's position is incoherent or nonsensical which is totally ridiculous. Given the restrictions she has set herself (full control of immigration, end supremacy of the ECJ) it is the obvious conclusion. You can think her decision is wrong (I do), short sighted (I do) and motivated mainly by narrow minded political considerations (I do) but it isn't nonsensical.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
At a time where the UK and US turn their back on free trade and globalization

The leader of communist China defends it

What a weird timeline we're living in
It makes sense in a way.
Voters got hit by globalisation and are voting against it. Now politicians want to turn back time. Guess what? It's too late.

Wait what? Isn't the problem that the UK is going all-in on free trade and unfettered globalisation, rather than remaining in the somewhat walled garden of the EU?
A walled garden that just finished the CETA agreement, would have gone through with TTIP and is one of the friendliest entities in the world when it comes to price dumping (like Chinese stell currently).
If you thought Brexit was a vote for more free trade, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Xando

Wait what? Isn't the problem that the UK is going all-in on free trade and unfettered globalisation, rather than remaining in the somewhat walled garden of the EU?

Cutting immigration and leaving the biggest free market area on earth is not what i consider going all in on free trade.

Take a look at all these free trade agreements the EU has. The UK will have to negoatiate everyone of these on it's on.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's not the goal it's what they were forced to do. The real goal is limiting immigration which is going to bite them in the ass when their global trade partners asks for a loosening in immigration policies like some have already done.

nitronite

The hidden orange X factor to all of this is, in my opinion, Donald Trump. If, based on recent interviews that he has given, he or his advisers believe the EU to be a construct meant to substantially increase German global competitiveness, then he or his advisers may well believe that a weakened EU would benefit US manufacturing and trade. However misguided that may be, and whatever you may believe regarding Trump's own intelligence, his advisers may genuinely hold a view like that.

In which case, making sure that or at the very least helping the UK achieve good trade deals in order have other -exits could be on the agenda. The key advantage Trump would hold in such a scenario is his apparent unpredictability and hence the fact that he can be perceived as a real danger. He's already been skeptical with regards to NATO (and that could well be one piece of 'leverage'), who knows what else he might tweet about changing in the status quo.

Obviously, if you believe that he is a Russian agent, then the disintegration of the EU is in his interests.

RoyalFool

Banned
Glad it's a hard brexit, guessing we will leverage our financial sector and become a tax haven. So long as London is doing well the rest of us should be fine.

Shame the EU still don't seem to accept how hard they dropped the ball with the handling of financial migrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom