• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farron's response to the speech on The Daily Politics.

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/821340936093384704

LDs will vote against triggering Article 50 at both layers of parliament if it does not include provisions for a referendum on the final deal.

It's too late now. We can't vote until 2020.

You will have votes between now and 2020 - at your local council elections, and potentially things like mayoral or police elections.

ittoryu

Glad it's a hard brexit, guessing we will leverage our financial sector and become a tax haven. So long as London is doing well the rest of us should be fine.

Shame the EU still don't seem to accept how hard they dropped the ball with the handling of financial migrants.

Surely a Tax Heaven will make so many people more wealthy, especially in the North, in Wales, etc. All the places that actually voted for this shit-show of Brexit.

Great strategy.

Khoryos

Pretty sure that's a 'shop.

This isn't, though.

57f400af170000f70aac96cc.jpeg

StayDead

Glad it's a hard brexit, guessing we will leverage our financial sector and become a tax haven. So long as London is doing well the rest of us should be fine.

Shame the EU still don't seem to accept how hard they dropped the ball with the handling of financial migrants.

That's not how it works.

To become a tax haven the tories will need to:
Run the NHS into the ground and completely privatizing it.
Further hurt other public services.

Which will do nothing but hurt everyone else. Also, guess what London has been doing well for a good 20 years, but the rest of the country isn't fine.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
BBC saying to expect official EU reactions in the coming hours/day.

Sweden informally saying the relationship with Britain will be worsened as a result of this decision.

According to a BBC Brussels correspondent.

"Germany welcomes the clarity."

Make of that what you will.

Of course we welcome it. Train crash Brexit it is, we can work with this. If this is what the UK wants, I am sure the EU members have no issues with it. They sure will be missed in Brussels.

So if Britain is doing a hard exit, how will their financial sector still run the same, considering they now do things for the mainland? Won't these companies move out to areas in the single market? I don't really know how you can use that as leverage for anything.

Izuna

Banned
*sigh* by this point, I don't want EU to be stupid enough o bow down to UK's stupid claims

is that treasonous?

Tak3n

Banned
Farron's response to the speech on The Daily Politics.

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/821340936093384704

LDs will vote against triggering Article 50 at both layers of parliament if it does not include provisions for a referendum on the final deal.

easy position to take when there is only 6 of you, as far as I understand it once you trigger article 50, that is it, so what good will a referendum do.... senior academics have claimed article 50 can be stopped if there is special circumstances (like a change of government) but both parties would have to agree...

So Farrons position is actually way worse, as by doing a referendum you risk Britain leaving the EU with nothing

DavidDesu

If Scotland hold a referendum and vote for independence, they are going to be in a worse position financially than England and Wales at this point (if that's possible)

Whisky exports are pretty huge. If we get massive tariffs put on them now that's not good. Remaining in EU/Single Market is far more beneficial to us than being shackled in with isolationist UK, thanks very much.

It's about more than raw finances as well... decades of Tory rule to come, rewriting of our human rights to a Tory agenda, workers rights abandoned, tax haven UK a race to the bottom and the absolutely certain destruction of the NHS, expensive private health like the US incoming.. NONE of this aligns with the thoughts of the Scottish people, it's fucking mental. And all that stuff will cost us far more financially in the end!

We're being dragged out thanks to a massively imbalanced "union". Fuck that noise once and for all.

ittoryu

Why are people so negative?
Didn't the Governor of the bank of England recently say that the effect of the result of Brexit vote has been way better than previous predictions? He said Brexit is now more of a concern for THE EU economy than the UK.

Atleast this speech provided some clarity which the financial markets seem to be happy with at the moment.

Kathleen Brooks, research director at City Index said:

Here are the parts of Theresa May’s vision for Brexit that helped to boost the pound. Firstly, confirmation that parliament will vote on any final Brexit deal between the UK and the EU.

Secondly, the detail around the UK’s proposed new customs deal with the EU that the UK hopes will allow tariff-free trade with the EU, our largest trading partner.

Lastly, May’s objective for a 2-year time frame to agree the Brexit deal, and a phased transition phase after that to ensure a smooth transition to the UK’s new reality outside of the EU.

It is worth remembering that since the Brexit vote last June, rallies in the pound have been fairly weak, while sell offs have been harsh and prolonged. It is too early to know if the negative impact of politics on the UK currency is starting to wane.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Sturgeon shouldn't rush in, just wait for the fallout of Brexit, then have a brisk and fast campaign. Don't drag it out for the confusion campaign to take effect.

Minorities and immigrants in Britain will always be viewed with suspicion and blamed no matter what happens, will be nice for us to be able to go "Don't cry now, you asked for this". I'm slowly, but surely, running out of fucks to give about anything.

Don't forget those Cornish pasties
They can't trust them! They went from being virtual slaves to citizens! How dare they. Bring back the empire #FirstOrder

kiguel182

Given the recent happenings in the world, China buying a bunch of stuff around here isn't looking that bad.

I should start learning mandarim.

Audioboxer

Sturgeon shouldn't rush in, just wait for the fallout of Brexit, then have a brisk and fast campaign. Don't drag it out for the confusion campaign to take effect.

The campaign would take a bit of time to go through with anyway, it wouldn't be a snap vote. Depending on the legalities with the EU, it remains to be seen if Scotland would need to have preliminary discussions sorted pre-Brexit, for action post-Brexit, or all action done post-Brexit.

I think it depends on when article 50 is triggered, as that is the point of no-return where the UK is 100% leaving the EU. The EU has made things clear it will not discuss actions with Scotland as long as the UK remains in the EU, as Scotland is part of the UK. Therefore as I said I think it will ride on whenever article 50 is triggered.

RoyalFool

Banned

Scotland should wait a few years for things to settle, it's a knee jerk power grab hoping the leverage the salt levels of remainers whilst they can.

Can't see it ending well for Scotland at all, oil prices being where they are and the snps terrible handling of the nhs

But I thought people voted leave because London was fucking the rest of the country? Now they're going to support it?

DavidDesu

The campaign would take a bit of time to go through with anyway, it wouldn't be a snap vote. Depending on the legalities with the EU, it remains to be seen if Scotland would need to have preliminary discussions sorted pre-Brexit, for action post-Brexit, or all action done post-Brexit.

I think it depends on when article 50 is triggered, as that is the point of no-return where the UK is 100% leaving the EU. The EU has made things clear it will not discuss actions with Scotland as long as the UK remains in the EU, as Scotland is part of the UK. Therefore as I said I think it will ride on whenever article 50 is triggered.

The thing is we're in uncharted waters. People love to swan in and say Scotland MUSt leave the EU completely, then apply to rejoin, and also that Spain or others will automatically block it. Why couldn't a Scottish agreement with the EU play some part of Bexit talks, whether integrated or done on the side. I feel the EU would quite like the retribution aspect of the UK union breaking apart and holding on to Scotland (we have huge renewable energy potential, largest by far across the whole EU, which will be crucial in the coming decades for example!).

sammex

Given the recent happenings in the world, China buying a bunch of stuff around here isn't looking that bad.

I should start learning mandarim.

Before you book your mandarin lessons, last week (I think), China said they were halting further investment in the UK because they see us as the door to the EU single market and if we leave that then we are simply a door...

Yeah.

Zaph

While that's not what she said in her speech, I still agree that's ultimately "The Plan".

We can make jokes, but May and the people around her are intelligent people and know the reality of our negotiating position. They're drumming a nationalist beat for a hard Brexit now, because it'll save them from looking weak if they actually tried to negotiate a soft one.

Moving forward with Brexit isn't what bothers me, but doing so in a way where your strategy is to avoid having working-class Leave voters (their new base...) realise what a poor position we're in, until it's too late, is borderline treasonous.

She's already trying to re-write history by claiming "both sides" made it clear a Leave vote is to leave the single market. We're suppose to forget all those Norway comparisons.

DavidDesu

Scotland should wait a few years for things to settle, it's a knee jerk power grab hoping the leverage the salt levels of remainers whilst they can.

Can't see it ending well for Scotland at all, oil prices being where they are and the snps terrible handling of the nhs

Erm... what? Our NHS is performing FAR better than the England/Wales NHS...! What on earth do you mean by that?! Listening to unionist propaganda bollocks? It's the English NHS absolutely at breaking point thanks to Tory underfunding to a massive degree.

StayDead

But I thought people voted leave because London was fucking the rest of the country? Now they're going to support it?

It's the exact same irony that led to this vote.

The people in the north hate the British government saying they only care about London. The one thing that stopped the Tories from forgetting about the North completely was EU regulation.

They've effectively voted to shoot themselves in the head, because the only rights protecting them they've voted against.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Whisky exports are pretty huge. If we get massive tariffs put on them now that's not good. Remaining in EU/Single Market is far more beneficial to us than being shackled in with isolationist UK, thanks very much.

It's about more than raw finances as well... decades of Tory rule to come, rewriting of our human rights to a Tory agenda, workers rights abandoned, tax haven UK a race to the bottom and the absolutely certain destruction of the NHS, expensive private health like the US incoming.. NONE of this aligns with the thoughts of the Scottish people, it's fucking mental. And all that stuff will cost us far more financially in the end!

We're being dragged out thanks to a massively imbalanced "union". Fuck that noise once and for all.
Scotland won't be instantly be to join the EU and Scotland's gets the vast majority of it's trade from the UK. So long term it's be even more screwed as it's going to have to pay tariffs to even trade with a country it's on the same island with.

daxy

The amount of misdirection and truth-bending in May's speech is amazing. Rolling with the public's lack of understanding and cementing it with her statements is truly the mark of a great politician.

The amount of misdirection and truth-bending in May's speech is amazing. Rolling with the public's lack of understanding and cementing it with her statements is truly the mark of a great politician.

Synonyms for: great politician

1. Terrifying sociopath

DavidDesu

Scotland won't be instantly be to join the EU and Scotland's gets the vast majority of it's trade from the UK. So long term it's be even more screwed as it's going to have to pay tariffs to even trade with a country it's on the same island with.

It's fine though, we can ask for all the same concessions May demands from Europe. In the last indyref campaign I heard many unionists basically saying they would want to burn bridges and not give Scotland any concessions, and now they demand exactly that from the EU. Want their cake and eat it.

I guess we can organise common sense trade between the two nations, to the benefit of both, just as May hopes for... meanwhile we can govern ourselves as we see fit and not be shackled to super right wing Tory masters.

EDIT: At this point it really is a simple matter of democracy. 62% of Scots wanted to Remain... not listened to AT ALL. No voice whatsoever. And before you say we voted to remain in the UK so we should like it or lump it... During THAT campaign we were told a NO vote was the only way to safeguard out place in the EU! Go figure.

Audioboxer

The thing is we're in uncharted waters. People love to swan in and say Scotland MUSt leave the EU completely, then apply to rejoin, and also that Spain or others will automatically block it. Why couldn't a Scottish agreement with the EU play some part of Bexit talks, whether integrated or done on the side. I feel the EU would quite like the retribution aspect of the UK union breaking apart and holding on to Scotland (we have huge renewable energy potential, largest by far across the whole EU, which will be crucial in the coming decades for example!).

The Spanish stuff was largely taken out of context as Scotland would never attempt to stay in the EU whilst being part of the Union. However yeah, uncharted waters and lots of speculators.

RenditMan

Banned
That's not the goal it's what they were forced to do. The real goal is limiting immigration which is going to bite them in the ass when their global trade partners asks for a loosening in immigration policies like some have already done.

No once have I heard a politician of the UK say they were intending to stop all immigration apart from maybe the defunct BNP.

That would simply be stupid.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I haven't even thought of the extra costs this negotiation is adding to both UK taxpayers and EU taxpayers (of which Brits are both members of).

It's quite amazing how nobody is actually asking May about the costs of implementing Brexit. For the next few years our parliament will be paralysed as we spend millions and millions on lawyers, consultants and civil servants to extricate us from the enormous legal framework of the EU but that doesn't seem to bother the Brexiters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom