• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

danowat

Banned
Yes there is. Article 50 hasn't even been triggered yet.

You're telling me that if they reheld the referendum today, after we've seen what it has done to our economy, that it would still be a leave win?

No, that's not what I am saying, TBH, I couldn't be 100% sure that leave wouldn't win again TBH.

Reholding the referendum was never an option, a referendum should never have been called in the first place, but that's a whole other discussion.

Dascu

Lets be honest, she has well and truly called out the EU.... as much as it will be unpopular, she just said we are picking up our ball and going home....

the huge question will be, does the EU blink, or do they remain steadfast in their position

You think this is some kind of trivial card game and who ever keeps their poker-face will end up the victor?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Everyone who was interested in the BBC question, it was asked by Laura Kuenssberg.
The best political correspondent in Britain.
You should read her write-ups on the BBC. She always has some interesting information.

fanboi

Banned
Lets be honest, she has well and truly called out the EU.... as much as it will be unpopular, she just said we are picking up our ball and going home....

the huge question will be, does the EU blink, or do they remain steadfast in their position

Steadfast. Otherwise it will shake the whole EU

Audioboxer

Scotland has truly been fucked over in all of this.

To be fair as much as I am pro-independence, people voted no in 2014 for fairly reasonable suggestions/reasons (you could say some of us could see right through Tory BS/lies though). The issue is within 24 months a massive reason to consider no in 2014 has shat the bed. Even although the people caused it, the government still done a piss poor job of a unified pro-remain campaign, and in the wake of leave, May has completely mishandled nearly everything, including now the single market.

Called them out on what?
No, that's not what I am saying, TBH, I couldn't be 100% sure that leave wouldn't win again TBH.

Reholding the referendum was never an option, a referendum should never have been called in the first place, but that's a whole other discussion.
Agreed :(

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Guys pound is up vs USD but plummeting in real time against the Euro. The Euro is also up against the USD. I would argue the dollar is falling rather than the pound "being up", the pound is becoming relatively weaker in today's trade

Edit: wrong. As of typing pound is up against the Euro and dollar on the day.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
As I said int' OTC thread:

She really needs to stop trying to talk out of both sides of her mouth, she can't be serious about unity and coming together when her proposals are nothing short of a complete rejection of the interests of 48% of people who voted.

-Plasma Reus-

Guys pound is up vs USD but plummeting in real time against the Euro. The Euro is also up against the USD. I would argue the dollar is falling rather than the pound "being up", the pound is becoming relatively weaker in today's trade

It's a race to the bottom between Trump and Theresa May.

Tak3n

Banned
did you notice BTW

If parliament reject the final deal, we will still leave the EU. but with nothing, so she almost dared parliament to do it, and fuck the country over

DiGiKerot

The problem is that's it's not our ball, it's theirs. It's more like we're the sulky kid who goes home because no-one will let him play up front.

Audioboxer

The US can deal with Trump for 4/8 years. Brexit is for life.

Bingo. Not to take away from Americas own problems, but this isn't something we can try to auto-correct in 4 years. Not when May and co are so bad at handling Brexit as well. Maximum damage looking to be caused.

sammex

The problem is that's it's not our ball, it's theirs. It's more like we're the sulky kid who goes home because no-one will let him play up front.

Europe give me what I want or I'll take hard won rights way from my own people & slash public services

-Plasma Reus-

'Hard Brexit greatest job-killing act in Welsh history'
Taking the UK out of the EU single market would be "the greatest job-killing act in Welsh economic history", Plaid Cymru has said.
Several of Sunday's newspapers claim Prime Minister Theresa May will signal the move in a speech on Tuesday.
Plaid's treasury spokesman Jonathan Edwards told the BBC's Sunday Politics Wales programme the impact on Wales would be "devastating".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-38628234

There are around 200,000 jobs in Wales that depend on the EU.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Fuck it it will be fine.

I can't deal with this shit.

Anyone else in the EU going to follow us ? No

Someone I am talking to thinks this means the end of the EU.
Wtf?!?

*Splinter

I can never understand what you mean with these posts.
"called out the EU"
"picking up our ball and going home"
"does the EU blink"
You make this sound like a playground scrap, why do you think the EU would ever "blink" here? What do you think has been "called out" - and to what end?

We still don't know what the Supreme Court will decide. If NI and Scotland get a say it could still make things more difficult for May.

Audioboxer

Fuck it it will be fine.

I can't deal with this shit.

Anyone else in the EU going to follow us ? No

Someone I am talking to thinks this means the end of the EU.
Wtf?!?

Dat British sense of self-importance. The EU has plently of its own issues right now, but the rest of the world doesn't depend on the UK to function.

jelly

So, the parliament and lords get to vote on whatever deal they come up with and if they reject it, then what happens, we leave with nothing or don't leave ?

Maximus P

That wasn't a bad speech actually.

Well balanced.Some clarity at least.

And the pound is spiking up...

I thought it was OK too. I expected much worse tbh. I think it's been clear for some time that staying in the single market would be near impossible to achieve, at least it's out in the open now that we won't be looking for a deal to stay in.

Izuna

Banned
Not really.

She wants to put the final deal to parliament which means it's toward the end of the 2 years.
If Parliaments rejects it the UK still leaves without any deal.

I was under the impression that Parliament had to vote on invoking article 50, no?

May also dodged the question.

StayDead

I don't know, the speech seems to be playing pretty well outside of GAF.

Of course it does. The people who want to leave are self obsessed assholes who think this idiot is sticking it to the man in some form. These people believe the UK is still a world power. This isn't the 1800s anymore. We cannot function without EU support.

I was under the impression that Parliament had to vote on invoking article 50, no?

This is what the supreme court decision is about. May doesn't think parliment should vote on it.

Zaph

na, if it all does go to shit, I would expect once this generation moves through, I would expect another referendum...30 years or so

That's guaranteed tbh. I fully expect us to be back as an EU member (or as good as) within 30-40 years.

But the self-harm we do in the meantime is borderline treasonous

I don't know, the speech seems to be playing pretty well outside of GAF.
Where would that be?

She said nothing of worth and just once again hyped up our very, very poor negotiation position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom