• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

Can't wait to have my benefits cut again. Maybe I will get a pound a pay to spend?

Don't worry man, all those low income jobs will become available when we deport everyone?

Disabled? hah, what the hells a disability, get to work you lazy bum!

/s

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No once have I heard a politician of the UK say they were intending to stop all immigration apart from maybe the defunct BNP.

That would simply be stupid.
They want to gey immigration "under control" which is their highest p rioritym what do you think is going to happen if the numbers come out and immigration has barely changed.

Beefy

Don't worry man, all those low income jobs will become available when we deport everyone?

Disabled? hah, what the hells a disability, get to work you lazy bum!

/s

I'm classed as disabled due to my mental health. Can't wait until what is left of my rights are messed with.

Biggzy

No once have I heard a politician of the UK say they were intending to stop all immigration apart from maybe the defunct BNP.

That would simply be stupid.

You see here is the thing: This government is banging the drum saying immigration is too high and we need to get it down, while failing to tell the harsh truth that in years to come the UK might need more immigration and not less.

kmag

Scotland won't be instantly be to join the EU and Scotland's gets the vast majority of it's trade from the UK. So long term it's be even more screwed as it's going to have to pay tariffs to even trade with a country it's on the same island with.

England trades more to Scotland than Scotland does to England. <Brexit logic> Surely the English should just touch their toes and give us all we want </Brexit logic>

Plum

I'm classed as disabled due to my menta health. Can't wait until what is left of my rights are messed with.

All my sympathy, honestly. It's going to get so fucking tough for physically disabled people, I can't imagine how shit it will get for people with mental illness in a country filled with cunts a misinformed populace who either doesn't believe, or actively hates people with them.

Coxy100

Banned
surely the government is going to see how financially this was f*ck us up so much....and they won't implement in the end?

Yes I know 'the country has spoken' (well half of the vote anyway) but surely they wouldn't want to be remembered for doing this?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Catching up with this. At least UK's position is now very clear (besides the irrelevant wishes that will never happen), so I hope EU will move fast considering this position.

Wouldn't this speech qualify as a trigger for article 50?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The thing is we're in uncharted waters. People love to swan in and say Scotland MUSt leave the EU completely, then apply to rejoin, and also that Spain or others will automatically block it. Why couldn't a Scottish agreement with the EU play some part of Bexit talks, whether integrated or done on the side. I feel the EU would quite like the retribution aspect of the UK union breaking apart and holding on to Scotland (we have huge renewable energy potential, largest by far across the whole EU, which will be crucial in the coming decades for example!).

This isn't enterely true. Spain, if ruled by the conservative PP, may block Scotland from EU accession just to mess with Catalonian separatists (even if their case is largely different), but it's not 100% sure. A progressive government would be accepting.

I'm almost certain that the EU would gladly accept Scotland by an accelerated process once negotiations with the UK are done. But not any time sooner.

Catching up with this. At least UK's position is now very clear (besides the irrelevant wishes that will never happen), so I hope EU will move fast considering this position.

It really isn't that clear. The only thing clear is that May just said no to the single market. The rest of her speech was a bunch of nothing peppered with some poorly thought threats.

wouldn't that be hilarious if the EU was like ok thats its triggered and May was like erm..... no its not ohh shi!

Audioboxer

I keep imagining there is a big oversized button that needs to be hit for that. In reality I have no idea. It might be some "safe phrase" May has to say word for word to trigger it. On paper I'd think like you do, this is a clear signal of what May/The UK is saying it will do. Not sure why it wouldn't start the process.

Shh don't say that, people on benefits aren't allowed luxuries.

taking the piss out of a poster that said it to me in another thread a few weeks back.

Really? Smh. It is indeed that kind of attitude that causes resentment to many in the UK. It's as if to have any life enjoyment you need to be rich, or else you're some waste of oxygen. I even point out when people attack homeless people around drink and drugs, if your life was that low, at rock bottom, you'd maybe even end up turning to vices to numb the pain. Those things are often addiction based diseases as well.

But yeah, everyone wants to at least try and have some nice things and enjoyment in life. No shit! What else are we here for?

Beefy

1-2 Switch is only £3 per game, calm down man.

trying to put a smile on your face in testing times

Shh don't say that, people on benefits aren't allowed luxuries.

taking the piss out of a poster that said it to me in another thread a few weeks back.

All my sympathy, honestly. It's going to get so fucking tough for physically disabled people, I can't imagine how shit it will get for people with mental illness in a country filled with cunts a misinformed populace who either doesn't believe, or actively hates people with them.
Cheers man. Like I said before, I am 'lucky' as I have supportive parents that can just about afford to look after me. Many others aren't as lucky.

Plum

I keep imagining there is a big oversized button that needs to be hit for that. In reality I have no idea. It might be some "safe phrase" May has to say word for word to trigger it.

May asks for a "Banana" and suddenly the pound drops to below the dollar.

It's the exact same irony that led to this vote.

The people in the north hate the British government saying they only care about London. The one thing that stopped the Tories from forgetting about the North completely was EU regulation.

They've effectively voted to shoot themselves in the head, because the only rights protecting them they've voted against.

Just to nip this in the bud

The South voted to leave. This is not the dirty North's fault.

If the South did what was expected we wouldn't be in this mess. Also cities in the north like Manchester Liverpool and Leeds voted to remain. If the South did what was expected we wouldn't be in this mess. 30 million southerners voting majority leave was a big factor. South North and Midlands voted leave.

Audioboxer

May asks for a "Banana" and suddenly the pound drops to below the dollar.

At this point, I'd expect a random citizen to pop up and hurl a banana at her. Of course with a message written on it saying sorry, because, polite British political activism.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
England trades more to Scotland than Scotland does to England. <Brexit logic> Surely the English should just touch their toes and give us all we want </Brexit logic>
Funny thing is it wouldn't even be down to England. If Scotland is part of the EU the EU would have to come to a consensus in that deal with the UK. That will not be a quick process and may not even be a successful process. A hard Brexit is Scotland's worse case scenario as much as it is ours.

Morat

Banned

If the South did what was expected we wouldn't be in this mess. Also cities in the north like Manchester Liverpool and Leeds voted to remain. If the South did what was expected we wouldn't be in this mess. 30 million southerners voting majority leave was a big factor.

Yeah, the split was much more clearly urban/remain, countryside/leave

StayDead

If the South did what was expected we wouldn't be in this mess. Also cities in the north like Manchester Liverpool and Leeds voted to remain.

I'm not saying the South didn't vote to leave. The problem is places like Cornwall who rely entirely on EU funding and tourism to stay in their houses and jobs. It's the people outside of cities who live by the rhetoric I mentioned. They feel like the big city folk don't care about them, then actively voted in the conservatives in droves and also voted to leave. Those people are the problem.

Sorry if it sounded like an attack on the North, I'm just a little bit sour right now as someone who works in London and whose job prospects rely entirely on the fact we're part of the EU Single Market and pricing with a higher pound.

daxy

So the UK will not drop the EU acquis after Brexit but embed it in domestic legislation and as such all EU regulations, directives, rules, etc. will still be in force. And parliament will amend these in the post-Brexit phase as they see fit? Here I thought doing away with supposedly meddlesome EU-over-regulation was a key part of pro-Brexit goals. They've got an absolutely staggering amount of work ahead of them that will take multiple parliaments and many legal experts to unwrap, let alone revise and interweave again.

e3XwiAB.gif

Juncker is laughing himself to tears as we speak.

The (second) point about "controlling our own laws" is a doozy too, implying national courts can't interpret EU legislation (and that legislation is somehow put into force without consent by the UK's representatives in the EU). Absolute gold in the context of the above. I guess I can't speak for the competence of UK courts, but I assume they are at least aware of EU laws and members of the judiciary are able to read. According to May, evidently not. When the CJEU intervenes, it's typically because a national court or government is acting counter to EU legislation, isn't respecting the four freedoms, etc.

Paltheos

They voted to leave the European Union and embrace the world.

Oof. After pausing on this one, I think I know what she's going for but it... doesn't really work. It's a literal call to unity when Brexit is an innately selfish choice. And the deeper meaning supposed to be behind it is that... Britain will be able to negotiate its own rules now regarding trading? But that's kind of a stretch from the language and again the sentence is ideologically dichotic.

kess

It's remarkable how almost the entire anglosphere is trending towards worse healthcare, more expensive education, and increased xenophobia. Is it a generational problem, or a consequence of media coverage?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Neither does Corbyn....
Corbyn is an incompetant fool. He has no real policies. He just wabts to "hold the governmemt accountable" without actually holding the government accountable by proposing alternatve policies that appeal to the public that would actually siphon off votes.

He's a glorified protestor not a statesman.

I'm not saying the South didn't vote to leave. The problem is places like Cornwall who rely entirely on EU funding and tourism to stay in their houses and jobs. It's the people outside of cities who live by the rhetoric I mentioned. They feel like the big city folk don't care about them, then actively voted in the conservatives in droves and also voted to leave. Those people are the problem.

Sorry if it sounded like an attack on the North, I'm just a little bit sour right now as someone who works in London and whose job prospects rely entirely on the fact we're part of the EU Single Market and pricing with a higher pound.

What was surprising to me is all those who worked in London in the past and now live in the home counties surrounding London voted leave. You'd think they'd know better.

That's on UK side. But on EU side there isn't a clear process or definition of what trigger means.

"Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."

Own constitutional requirements means waiting for the Supreme Court and eventually the vote in Parliament.

Dougald

What was surprising to me is all those who worked in London in the past and now live in the home counties surrounding London voted leave. You'd think they'd know better.

Whaat, my incredibly blue home counties constituency voted Remain (about 56% iirc). Most surrounding ones did too

Not that it matters because my MP is a staunch leaver and he'll never be voted out

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I would love it that May plays she is ready to leave etc and Parliament drag thier feet but May keeps gosh darn wanting to Brexit...

I still think this is going to be like when we didn't want the Euro.

You know what pisses me off about her.. is the way that she sounds like she is almost crying when she speaks.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The EU is not some bizarre authoritarian superstate despite whatever idiocy comes from UKIP. It is based on diplomacy and debate. As amusing as it could be, it's extremely unlikely that the European Council would spring from their chairs and say "THIS IS IT, WE ARE DONE WITH YOUR SHIT".

Article 50 won't be triggered until the UK is very clear and concise about it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Brexiters on LBC are saying they don't think the EU will exist in the next 2 to 3 years....

Are these people for real.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The EU is not some bizarre authoritarian superstate despite whatever idiocy comes from UKIP. It is based on diplomacy and debate. As amusing as it could be, it's extremely unlikely that the European Council would spring from their chairs and say "THIS IS IT, WE ARE DONE WITH YOUR SHIT".

Article 50 won't be triggered until the UK is very clear and concise about it.

I believe this. I think The UK is acting tough but business talks and some companies will relocate and deals will be done.

The EU is level headed the UK is talking a tough game but a deal will be done.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Brexiters on LBC are saying they don't think the EU will exist in the next 2 to 3 years....

I'm talking to a brexiter (a family member he is a third cousin or something) according to him the IMF points to the death of the EU?

Reminds me of a guy at work he believes any other country in the EU tries this they will fail but UK no, due to how great we are and how we buy German cars etc.

Audioboxer

Yes, they were saying it pre-vote. The EU undoubtedly has its issues right now, but the UK pretending like it's the big boss that rules the scene is some British Empire nonsense. I'm not saying the EU won't have to adapt without Britain, but we're nowhere near some future where the whole thing ceases to exist.

PJV3

I'm almost too afraid to ask, is there much public support for the UK becoming a tax haven if the EU doesn't kiss our national arse?

Dougald

If anything the EU will probably integrate even further now it doesn't have Britain on the sidelines whining, moaning and demanding opt-outs for everything under the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom