• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgy100

Brexiters on LBC are saying they don't think the EU will exist in the next 2 to 3 years....

Are these people for real.

they are citing unemployment figures like those aren't indicative to a larger problem coming our way and that we have to learn how to cope with a large number of unemployed people.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I've never understood where all the hatred for the EU came from and why people want it to fail.

It honestly feels as though they think the EU is a collection of eastern europeans and brown people who secretly had the government in a stranglehold.

They think leaving the single market means they don't have to bow down to these foreigners any longer.

They must honestly believe this is how they get back their country and be a british empire again. It's the only explanation.

jelly

If you were a company wouldn't you want stability so isn't it likely a lot of companies will go to the EU.

May is still flapping which I think gives companies a little hope but I wouldn't be surprised if companies have planned their exit when the article 50 and EU not caving reality hits. Right now, it's still the same, will it won't it, sunshine and roses deal UK could get in dreamland that is holding things together.

Acosta

The EU is not some bizarre authoritarian superstate despite whatever idiocy comes from UKIP. It is based on diplomacy and debate. As amusing as it could be, it's extremely unlikely that the European Council would spring from their chairs and say "THIS IS IT, WE ARE DONE WITH YOUR SHIT".

Honestly, sometimes I wish they were. Probably nothing good would come of it, but I would like some equally blunt answer to those parties that are menacing the Union.

The last time I saw something alike the UE putting their balls on the table was for a banking stuff.

daxy

I'm almost too afraid to ask, is there much public support for the UK becoming a tax haven if the EU doesn't kiss our national arse?

Take back control! Welcome, corporate overlords!

For real though, they'd probably call it making the UK even more competitive by supporting job-creation™ and ensuring a 'global UK' that welcomes international business.

I'm almost too afraid to ask, is there much public support for the UK becoming a tax haven if the EU doesn't kiss our national arse?

If there's one thing we want, it's to offer tiny to non existent tax rates to large companies, leaving the citizens to foot the bill for all the missing tax from the budget.

NJWX0CL.png

StayDead

If there's one thing we want, it's to offer tiny to non existent tax rates to large companies, leaving the citizens to foot the bill for all the missing tax from the budget.

Genuinely, I think if people were asked to vote on whether or not to jump off a cliff, they'd call vote yes.

If that line of reasoning can be used to justify Brexit, then yes there is plenty of support.

This is not about the economy, remember, it is about immigration/race. Same as the US surge in right-wing populism.

Cheering to see poll data that clearly shows that a larger percentage of the British people want us to remain close to the EU, certainly in the single market, than those that want us to leave altogether.

ferr

Did Russian hacking influence the results of the Brexit vote?

What common house-hold item could kill you?

All this after the commercial break.

Tak3n

Banned
Remember all she has done is set out the Governments position, just like the EU did....

Both have insisted they are not for moving, so now the negotiations begin

PJV3

Take back control! Welcome, corporate overlords!

Yeah, that's a worry.
The Tories have destroyed all the things we used to have pre EEC membership that balanced power somewhat.

Unions are weak, labour doesn't care about winning power, and there's not much going on in the world of left leaning media.

We are buggered.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
so leaving the inner market

goodbye british banking industry

uk is going to have a bad twenty years or so ahead

Now that certain things appeared to have been ruled in and ruled out, it's going to be interesting to see how the financials react. They've been quietly building contingency plans in case the UK loses passporting rights. Will they hang around to see if May can get them outside of the single market, or start jumping now? I've my doubts she will be able to get that access.

StayDead

Remember all she has done is set out the Governments position, just like the EU did....

Both have insisted they are not for moving, so now the negotiations begin

No, negotiations begin when we trigger Article 50. Which is some deluded hope I have I still think they'll never trigger.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Becoming a tax haven and negotiating a decent deal with the EU are also not two things that can go together. The EU is trying to get rid of tax havens right now, they don't want a new big one right at their doorstep.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This all seems like it was designed so that those in power could screw us over, and when we are our shit they can just tell us all straight faced ... well this is what you wanted.

Business will stay other money making ventures to.
The uk government just used the EU as a the big bad and a lot of us fell for it.

I mean I may be cynical but who knows eh? 😜😜

Hazzuh

Always worth remembering that the difference between Leave and Remain wasn't pro/anti-migration but rather between those who wanted to reduce migration but didn't want to pay for it (Remain) and those who wanted to reduce migration and thought it wouldn't cost anything (Leave). If "becoming a tax haven" means worse public services etc then I doubt it would be popular but the issue is who would be blamed for such an eventuality. Seems possible the public would blame the EU for their being worse off rather than the government.

This all seems like it was designed so that those in power could screw us over, and when we are our shit they can just tell us all straight faced ... well this is what you wanted.

Business will stay other money making ventures to.
The uk government just used the EU as a the big bad and a lot of us fell for it.

I mean I may be cynical but who knows eh? ����

"Those in power" overwhelmingly wanted to stay in the EU...

daxy

May: "It's not the means that matter but the ends" (re: negotiating a good deal with respect to the EU's customs union)

I think that about summarizes this entire debacle since its start, really.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The EU won't issue its response until later, but German ministers are already saying as much as the official PR will probably do: it's fine that the UK wants to retain close ties to the Union and we are glad for it, but negotiations won't happen until the UK invoques Article 50.

I expect lots of hot air for the next few months. The ball is still on May's roof.

No idea but I'm convinced at this point that the right-wing press can convince the British public on absolutely anything.

DavidDesu

Can't have too many hard working White Christians coming here.

Yep! the best part is Britain NEEDS immigrants, but now May is pushing us to be "global". So when black Kenyans start taking these jobs instead of white Poles I'm super curious to see the reaction from the xenophobic element of the Brexit voters.

Always worth remembering that the difference between Leave and Remain wasn't pro/anti-migration but rather between those who wanted to reduce migration but didn't want to pay for it (Remain) and those who wanted to reduce migration and thought it wouldn't cost anything (Leave). If "becoming a tax haven" means worse public services etc then I doubt it would be popular but the issue is who would be blamed for such an eventuality. Seems possible the public would blame the EU for their being worse off rather than the government.

"Those in power" overwhelmingly wanted to stay in the EU...

What are you talking about o_o

Yep! the best part is Britain NEEDS immigrants, but now May is pushing us to be "global". So when black Kenyans start taking these jobs instead of white Poles I'm super curious to see the reaction from the xenophobic element of the Brexit voters.

Oh boy, good times ahead.

EmiPrime

What the hell is Keir Starmer on about?

Labour why are you so shit?

For many months we in Labour have been demanding the fullest possible access to the single market, emphasising the risks of leaving the customs union, arguing for a collaborative relationship with our EU partners, emphasising the need for transitional arrangements and the need for entrenchment of workers’ rights. Today the prime minister has rightly accepted these in her plan. I acknowledge that.

She has given little detail about how that is to be achieved and there are some unanswered questions and some big gaps. It is, in truth, a half-in, half-out plan.

Let me give an example. The prime minister says that she does not want the jurisdiction of the European court of justice. But she wants a comprehensive trade agreement. Sooner or later she and others will have to face up to the fact that any such agreement will have a disputes resolution clause and that will have to be independent of this country. It will not be by reason and resolution in the high court in London, according to English laws.

But, if the prime minister achieves all she has set out to achieve, she will fall short of hard Brexit that many in business and trade unions have feared, a Brexit of no deal, a bare trade agreement, out of any customs union and arms length with our EU relations. And it is good that she has ruled that hard Brexit out at this stage.

Harmen

So, what are the odds the parliament says "screw Brexit", votes against it, and save the UK from this nonsensical mess?

SKINNER!

Banned

Well, where was most of the racist/xenophobic remarks thrown at before the Poles and Eastern Europeans? Towards the Indian, Pakistani and other Southern Asian immigrants back in the 70s and 80s. Point is, xenophobia and racism doesn't pick and choose. You'll see the same reactions regardless of where these "bloody foreigners" come from.

Cos that Polish section in their local Sainsbury's treads all over the memories of our fallen or something.

Basically:

1. It's easy to make foreigners the boogeymen. There's nobody to stick up for them. So conservative politicians have been pushing this angle since Thatcher joined the SM.
2. High levels of immigration affected quite a lot of areas. Upwards-moving foreign people (largely not from Europe, to begin with) saw opportunities in Britain and made their homes here, opening shops, starting companies and building places of worship. Lots of people didn't think they had the right to do that, because they'd struggled to make things work. Rather than blame their bad government, they blamed the large body of people that didn't have professional spin doctors employed - the faceless immigrant masses. This fed into anti-immigrant sentiment that has been brooding in England and Wales for forty plus years. The fact that we then accepted a bunch of polite Eastern European people who opened shops and started families here only angered anti-migrant people further, despite all these EU migrants being, as a whole, a quiet and hard working Catholic bunch!

The backlash against the EU is down to populist politicians making foreigners the boogeymen. It's been going on for decades and the fruit is now being reaped.

It has nothing to do with the economy or the reality of laws being made in London or Brussels. This is the core of why the left and centre have lost momentum in recent years. There needs to be a push to beat the anti-immigration rhetoric of the hard and far right. We need to go back on the charm offensive and give people reason to be proud of the immigrants that have made our country their home.

StayDead

Is there no way supreme court can completely block article 50 if it's completely against the nations interests? It's perfectly clear 2 parts of our union don't want to leave, at all so surely they can't let parliment just ignore them?

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Oh that would be the best fuck you ever to those xenophobes ahahahah....oh this will be good.

pulsemyne

God no. People are already pissed that corporations dodge tax like crazy. It's a fucking stupid idea.

Dougald

So, what are the odds the parliament says "screw Brexit", votes against it, and save the UK from this nonsensical mess?

Zero. Labour are the least credible they have been in decades and couldn't put up a united front against anything even if they wanted to, and the Tories are all busy pretending every single one of them was campaigning for Brexit

Tak3n

Banned
Is there no way supreme court can completely block article 50 if it's completely against the nations interests? It's perfectly clear 2 parts of our union don't want to leave, at all so surely they can't let parliment just ignore them?

They allready stated they would not stop Brexit

Sean C

Yeah, that's a worry.
The Tories have destroyed all the things we used to have pre EEC membership that balanced power somewhat.

Unions are weak, labour doesn't care about winning power, and there's not much going on in the world of left leaning media.

We are buggered.
Hey, hey, the Tories didn't destroy Labour, Labour destroyed itself.

daxy

Will probably depend on intense consideration of their horoscope that day, a shake of the old 8-ball, and the alignment of Jupiter. Also whichever choice will allow them to stay in power just a little bit longer.

I'd place my bets on it not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom