• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

The latest polls show 62% of Scots are against Indy Ref 2 and support for independence has dropped a point since Indy Ref 1.
SNP will probably wait until Brexit is at least partially implemented and Scotland starts to suffer from it. While they are going to heavily criticize it, a soft Brexit would likely kill their plans of an independence referendum. Once people suffer under it, those poll numbers will drop like the pound.

SKINNER!

Banned
H117yY7.png

That was easy.

hahahha brilliant. and that's that!

Audioboxer

Again, Please show me where the option for Scotland to remain in the EU was on the ballot paper..

You don't get to change the terms of reference.

Ahhh, I get it now. It's the game of technically correct is the best kind of correct. Okay, Scottish people were voting for the UK to remain in the EU, not "Scotland". You win.

SNP will probably wait until Brexit is at least partially implemented and Scotland starts to suffer from it. While they are going to heavily criticize it, a soft Brexit would likely kill their plans of an independence referendum. Once people suffer under it, those poll numbers will drop like the pound.

Considering how well the polls do I think going forward they really should be treated as an indication, not an absolute.

AngryMoth

I hate the uncertainty of brexit. Got a fairly sizeable inheritance recently and no idea what do because of the state of the pound. Don't whether I should be waiting it out for a rebound or investing it before our currency tanks even more. Still holding on to a semblance of hope that at some point our politicians will do whats best for the nation and just be like "ok well we tried but unfortunately leaving isn't feasible cos it will tank the economy" or something.

Please show me where the option for Scotland to remain in the EU was on the ballot paper..

iAkc.jpg

They held a referendum on independence on the assumption the UK was a member of the EU. They have every right to vote again.

And also where on that ballot paper does it say we would leave the single market?

The polls said Remain would win and Trump would lose.

Polls are utterly worthless.

The polls were actually not too bad for Brexit - they consistently showed Leave in the lead for most of the campaign, and several polls on the day put Leave ahead.

The entire campaign was run on the basis of Remain actually winning, though. That's why the polls that showed Leave ahead were usually judged to be wrong. Very few people believed Leave would win, even on polling day.

Had there been an actual terror of Leave winning, I actually think moderate voters might have been convinced to vote Remain instead. It was a VERY strange referendum campaign.

SKINNER!

Banned
I hate the uncertainty of brexit. Got a fairly sizeable inheritance recently and no idea what do because of the state of the pound. Don't whether I should be waiting it out for a rebound or investing it before our currency tanks even more. Still holding on to a semblance of hope that at some point our politicians will do whats best for the nation and just be like "ok well we tried but unfortunately leaving isn't feasible cos it will tank the economy" or something.

Why not go to a financial advisor? There's gonna be a lot of helpless people who'll suffer more under a benefits cutting party and Brexit than you and your sizeable inheritance. Sheesh.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Semantics. Semantics everywhere.

What are people actually arguing about?

Audioboxer

And Scotland is a part of the UK. I really don't understand your point. It's not technically incorrect to say that people in Scotland voted for Scotland to remain in the EU.

The point he or she is making is regardless of what Scotland voted the vote is tallied up by what the UK votes. Which is fair enough, no one disputes that. Scotland is leaving the EU. What we've tried to do, or our government, is challenge May's Brexit plans. Failing us staying in the single market a referendum is but an option. It's pretty much the only way we can stay in the EU.

Tyaren

So May wants to let parliament vote on the deal while they are already out of the EU anyway by then?
What about parliament voting on even triggering article 50? Isn't there still a supreme court verdict pending?
This whole thing seems so crooked...

DavidDesu

The latest polls show 62% of Scots are against Indy Ref 2 and support for independence has dropped a point since Indy Ref 1.

At the start of the first referendum campaign independence was at something like 30% and finished on 45%. Starting in the 40's give us a great chance of winning the next one. We'll have a campaign that has a million retorts to anything the unionists can try this time.

In the last campaign the unionists specifically told us a No vote would secure our place in Europe, since a Yes win probably would have caused issues for some time there. Now we have a full English Brexit that people here simply do not support. We had so many elements in the campaign like saving ship building jobs as Scots shipyards would lose contracts with the MOD... afterwards they scaled back all their ship building plans and also gave contracts to foreign companies anyway (so why couldn't they have done a deal with an Indy Scotland!?).

They said Vote No and we would lead the UK. Couple hours after the result Cameron was on the podium on Downing Street talking about English votes for English laws!

There's pretty much little for them to argue about in a new campaign that can't immediately be called out as false, scaremongering, and most often outright hypocrisy. Also Alex Salmond was successfully vilified for many years beforehand to the point where most people's opposition to Yes was based more on a hatred of "that Salmin", my parents caught up in that. Sturgeon was immediately more popular and trusted, and less easy to bash in the media. The best they have is that she looks like Jimmie Krankie and has another fish related name! Brexit WILL be an economic calamity and the pound has devalued so much that worries about stability and currency that we had in the last campaign seem nullified a bit now. Rexit is as bad, or worse than the ramifications of independence (in Europe) ever could have been.

Tak3n

Banned
Just to reiterate how Scotland voted. Every single constituency Remain, and Remain 62% over the whole country. That the will of an entire nation, a nation which is supposedly an "equal member" of the union, can be so hugely dismissed is mind boggling to me. Independence needs to happen.

I am sympathetic to your point, but you know, you kinda knew the rules before the vote... Sturgeon should of been refusing to allow ballots to take place, if she felt that strongly... not doing the vote was your strong position, not now the vote did not go your way, refusing to go along with it

sammex

Inflation is coming.

AngryMoth

Why not go to a financial advisor? There's gonna be a lot of helpless people who'll suffer more under a benefits cutting party and Brexit than you and your sizeable inheritance. Sheesh.
Yeah you know what you're right, it's insensitive to moan about this public I apologise

I am sympathetic to your point, but you know, you kinda knew the rules before the vote... Sturgeon should of been refusing to allow ballots to take place, if she felt that strongly... not doing the vote was your strong position, not now the vote did not go your way, refusing to go along with it

I'm not sure the Scottish Government actually has the power to stop something like the referendum from happening.

Audioboxer

If you have a legal way to avoid something that doesn't represent the will of your country... That is how politics works. There's no room for others wishing you get dragged along for their own petty reasoning.

If the boat was around the other way and Scotland voted England out, England would be looking at ways to nullify Scotland. No one up here is saying England and Wales can't have their Brexit, we're just trying to see do we really need to go along. Legally. I'm not and I doubt many others are asking for forced resistance to Brexit. If we don't leave the UK via independence don't you worry, we'll be coming along.

DavidDesu

Well she pleaded for each constituent member of the union to have a veto, every area would have to vote leave to make it so. That was roundly rejected. Don't think she would have had the power to not go ahead with the vote and we knew the vote would show strong support any, which bolsters our arguments that we are diverging so far that independence is the best option for people in Scotland to live in a representative democracy.

excowboy

Fuck me - I'm so depressed, I don't know where to begin. Tbf, May has a terrible job and I thought it was a decent speech. But decent like if a doctor was telling you they're going to amputate all your limbs and did a good job of softening the blow and being optimistic, even though there were no medical reasons to do it. I really hope she is talking tough to get a good starting position on negotiation but she appears to much of an ideological dullard to have too much faith on that. Fuck.

Raxious

heading out to the UK in a few days and I'll be staying there for 4 months, curious if I'll be noticing anything from this.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

If it is big big then buy a house or pay off your mortgage.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

The point is that during the IndyRef, Scottish voters were told repeatedly that the only way to guarantee Scottish EU membership was to remain in the UK. Now Scotland are told that we are leaving the EU and they don't get a say in the matter.

I would say it's pretty unsurprising that Scottish people might be pretty pissed off about being fucked over twice by Westminster politicians. In fact given the horrendously undemocratic nature of the whole setup, I'd probably be chomping at the bit to leave, if I were Scottish.

Audioboxer

Email from Sturgeon

After a wait of nearly seven months, Theresa May today set out her thoughts on Brexit.

You can read my full response to her speech here.

What’s very clear is that the Prime Minister’s decisions are being driven not by the national interest, but by the hard-right of the Tory party.

It’s a hard Brexit vision which means a de-regulated race to the bottom, with workers' rights and environmental protection under threat.

The Scottish Government has set out a plan that would protect Scotland's interests, our jobs and our economy.

While the Prime Minister has pledged to give the plan proper consideration, there’s been no evidence that Scotland’s voice is being listened to.

It seems the Tories now think they can do anything to Scotland and get away with it. They must start to understand how wrong they are.

The Tories cannot be allowed to drag us out of Europe and the single market, regardless of the impact on our economy, jobs, living standards and our reputation as an open, tolerant country, without Scotland having the ability to choose between that and a different future.

With her comments today, the Prime Minister has only succeeded in making that choice more likely.

Full thoughts

Scotland did not vote for the direction set out in the Prime Minister's speech today – and it is not in our national interests.

For all her warm words, it is now clear that the UK is heading for a hard Brexit, which threatens to be economically catastrophic.

Decisions are being driven not by the rational best interests of the country, but by the obsessions of the hard-right of the Tory party.

It is also becoming clear that a more fundamental issue is emerging – not just whether the UK is in or out of the EU, but what kind of country it is going to be. The Prime Minister gave the game away towards the end of her speech when she talked of the potential for the UK to become a low wage, low tax, de-regulated economy. That would see a race to the bottom replace our membership of the single market and everyone – perhaps apart from the very wealthiest – would be worse off as a result.

The Scottish Government set out, before Christmas, compromise proposals that would protect Scotland's interests – and we made clear the central importance of single market membership to Scotland's economic and wider national interests.

While discussions on those proposals continue, and while the Prime Minister today reiterated her pledge to give our plan proper consideration, we have not yet seen evidence that Scotland's voice is being listened to or our interests taken into account.
That must change in short order if there is to be any confidence that Scotland's interests can be met within the UK. And if, as the PM has now signaled, the UK is not staying in the single market, then there must be serious engagement on our proposal to allow Scotland to do so.

So while the Scottish Government will continue to take decisions in an orderly and responsible way, one thing should remain crystal clear – the Tory Government cannot be allowed to act against Scotland’s wishes and our interests, and reject all attempts at compromise.

It seems the Westminster Tory Government now think they can do anything to Scotland and get away with it. They must start to understand how wrong they are. The UK Government cannot be allowed to take us out of the EU and the single market, regardless of the impact on our economy, jobs, living standards and our reputation as an open, tolerant country, without Scotland having the ability to choose between that and a different future.

With her comments today, the Prime Minister has only succeeded in making that choice more likely.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/nicola...966434049?mc_cid=2551223076&mc_eid=ca19d73f8c

The point is that during the IndyRef, Scottish voters were told repeatedly that the only way to guarantee Scottish EU membership was to remain in the UK. Now Scotland are told that we are leaving the EU and they don't get a say in the matter.

I would say it's pretty unsurprising that Scottish people might be pretty pissed off about being fucked over twice by Westminster politicians. In fact given the horrendously undemocratic nature of the whole setup, I'd probably be chomping at the bit to leave, if I were Scottish.

The EU said that, not Westminister. They still do. Countries like Spain will not allow breakaway countries to become part of the EU.

None of this is surprising. She said she'd give parliament ultimate approval, but don't see that changing. The countries just going to get poorer. We've known this would happen for years.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
heading out to the UK in a few days and I'll be staying there for 4 months, curious if I'll be noticing anything from this.

People in suits might look a little more grumpy. Not that you'd notice.

The EU said that, not Westminister. They still do. Countries like Spain will not allow breakaway countries to become part of the EU.

I think there is a difference between a country voting for independence from an EU country and then joining the EU and a country not wanting to leave the EU but being forced so voting for independence to remain. Sturgeon has already had talks with people inside the EU, it does not seem like the impossibility some claim it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom