• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
It's not stupid, some of the most successful countries in Europe are "half in", like Norway and Switzerland.

We are not those countries though, it simply wont work... I know 99.9999999% of GAF wants to keep single market access etc, but unless Britain actually goes for it alone, nobody knows how it will work out, we are at the moment akin to a 3 year old with stabilizers on our bike, we need to take them off (if we are leaving)

Calling it right now.

That part about clarity is going to define her, more than the Brexit already has. If she doesn't come up with that it could be a disaster.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Dublin living this speech so far.
All the investment banks will leave City of London now withpassporting certainly gone

Zaph

lol give and take and compromises

Why should the EU give anything or compromise on anything? They hold all the cards, not us

Oregano

We want to trade, but we won't provide any details. Much awesome, much diversity, EU not flexible but we are friends anyway.

This conference is a whole lot of itsfuckingnothing.gif

I heard they're announcing the details when Nintendo decides to outline Switch's online functionality.

Izuna

Banned
We are not those countries though, it simply wont work... I know 99.9999999% of GAF wants to keep single market access etc, but unless Britain actually goes for it alone, nobody knows how it will work out, we are at the moment akin to a 3 year old with stabilizers on our bike, we need to take them off (if we are leaving)

You still think Brexit is a good idea?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

This same argument could be made for smoking crack.

AHA-Lambda

Sturgeon, the stage is yours.

0.jpeg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
frankfurt it's loving this, all financial traders will move there...
Someone posted a list of websites of Irish banks here yesterday and they all directly addressed British businesses to go with them. This phase of moving capital and business will be really interesting.

Zaph

Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Dublin living this speech so far.
All the investment banks will leave City of London now withpassporting certainly gone

Don't worry, they're being replaced with corporations who want to pay little tax, exploit visas, and call the UK their "home" while actually providing few jobs or supporting other industries.

Tak3n

Banned
There it is "immigration must be controlled"

Single Market gone

"immigration has caused issues in Schools, Houses, Wages"

Tugatrix

If Scotland hold a referendum and vote for independence, they are going to be in a worse position financially than England and Wales at this point (if that's possible)

why so? they have tech business and oil reserves enough to make them like a norway..

But ... what would happen if the parliament were to reject them? It's not like the government can just nope out of Brexit or renegotiate terms because there likely won't be enough time.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The EU won't negotiate a deal until we trigger article 50, but we can't stop the leaving process once it's been triggered? What good will a parliament vote actually be when we're that far down the line.

theaface

I'm not watching this. Can't stomach it. For the sake of my mental wellbeing, there's only so much of this revolting Brexit shit I can listen to.

Tak3n

Banned
She is blaming the EU for not assuring EU nationals living here, as many of the countries were in favour, but some were not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom