• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British PM Theresa May Brexit Speech 17th January 2017 at 11:45AM GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

I love the immigration has put a downward pressure on wages argument. Outside of a marginal effect in a couple of sectors, all the research suggests that it hasn't.

But hey post truth.

sammex

C2Xu4WAW8AEwKIM.jpg

Protome

I'm not sure, even if we are allowed to have another indy ref I'm convinced it will go the same way with people in the end afraid to leave the UK for stability reasons.
There's no stability within the UK now though. Given Scotland's general Left-Centre leanings, leaving the EU to create a new tax haven won't go over well.

Staab

Welp...
So she says they're leaving the single market but want to keep on profiting through it, by negotiation?
Good luck with that, UK.

Xando

How is a trade deal a better option to access in the single market than being in it?

Lol who wrote this speech

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, this partial access to the single market is a no-go for the EU. They have said this since the beginning. Yet she is still here claiming it can be achieved.

Blatant lie.

Oh ffs.

She thinks we can get access to the EU Market, without any of the restrictions. This is a fantasy.

She doesn't want membership, but she wants a trade agreement that gives the UK its cake and lets it eat. Even if it does get through Parliament, the EU will refuse it.

Audioboxer

She better be oan it. Then hopefully after independence Labour Scotland, and yes, Conservative Scotland actually become political forces up here people will actually give a shit about considering to vote for. My passion doesn't so much sit exclusively with the SNP, but independence. After that I'm more than happy to vote for another party if they sound better than the SNP.

Uzzy

I love the immigration has put a downward pressure on wages argument. Outside of a marginal effect in a couple of sectors, all the research suggests that it hasn't.

But hey post truth.

May once said that a criminal was given leave to remain in the UK because he had a cat. She's no stranger to lying about immigrants.

There's no stability within the UK now though. Given Scotland's general Left-Centre leanings, leaving the EU to create a new tax haven won't go over well.

Yeah I know that, I still think they will use the same arguments on currency and better together, even diminished not enough of the old people that voted NO have died yet so we will get another no vote.

Izuna

Banned
I feel like I'm hearing the same bullshit again and again.

Like, isn't this exactly what Brexit peeps have been claiming since the beginning?

How can May sleep at night, lol

Knutsford

Neo Member
So May wants all the benefits of the single market but with none of the drawbacks and financial cost... I think she is high

Protome

Yeah I know that, I still think they will use the same arguments on currency and better together, even diminished not enough of the old people that voted NO have died yet so we will get another no vote.
The main issues last time were currency and EU membership. The Pound is nosediving and England os dragging us out of the EU.

jelly

Oh ffs.

She thinks we can get access to the EU Market, without any of the restrictions. This is a fantasy.

She doesn't want membership, but she wants a trade agreement that gives the UK its cake and lets it eat. Even if it does get through Parliament, the EU will refuse it.

This makes no sense. We are leaving but totally getting that deal. She is lying and deluded.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh ffs.

And I understand that the UK already had a buncha privileges as an EU member?
How the fuck do they expect to get a better deal, it's mindnumbingly stupid.

Very ballsy speech, this is what people expected of May and she delivered. No access to single market is mandatory of course, the whole process of leaving the EU would be pointless otherwise. It's the perfect springboard to turn GB into a global trading power.

Xater

Name dropping Trump. lol

I also don't know what fantasy world she lives in in which the UK will get free trade without being a member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom