• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budget deal reached in Congress- No funding for border wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are we looking at for other areas? Education? Science? Arts? EPA?

post-54619-seinfeld-elaine-fake-fake-fake-2sgd.gif

Per Bloomberg:

Seems to be a all-around maintaining of budget course for the time being, with the GOP likely believing they will have the political capital to make cuts aligning to the White House's framework at the end of the fiscal year once this budget expires.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Per Bloomberg:

Seems to be a all-around maintaining of budget course for the time being, with the GOP likely believing they will have the political capital to make cuts aligning to the White House's framework at the end of the fiscal year once this budget expires.

I wonder if Trump will try and act like this was his plan all along when he realizes most people like this.

RPGCrazied

No wall. Hahah. Just couldn't get it done huh Trump? Take another L. I'm so glad you are so incompetent you can't get legislation passed. Phew!

Steejee

Master Negotiator at work. Wonder if he'll try another round of 'Do it or else!' on the final bill or if he'll sign it and declare that it's amazing, a great compromise, exactly what he really wanted, etc.

shem935

Banned
Per Bloomberg:

Will update the OP

Furyous

Don't act over react and act like Republicans did a good thing by not screwing everyone with their budget. This only lasts until September. After September they'll come back and find a way to defund or severely cut funding to cripple a bunch of agencies people actually need. Label it as belt tightening and budget deficit reduction. Label it as fiscal responsibility. Paul Ryan clearly hates the fact that rich people aren't getting their fair share of profits and wants to alter the shape of government to lean more towards them with this next budget.

This isn't signed so there's still time for Republicans to change their minds, screw this up, and come back with the draconian cuts they want.

Maxim726X

Per Bloomberg:

Hahaha holy shit.

Our institutions are indeed saving us, and an unpopular president can't throw his weight around.

Delicious.

Don't act over react and act like Republicans did a good thing by not screwing everyone with their budget. This only lasts until September. After September they'll come back and find a way to defund or severely cut funding to cripple a bunch of agencies people actually need. Label it as belt tightening and budget deficit reduction. Label it as fiscal responsibility. Paul Ryan clearly hates the fact that rich people aren't getting their fair share of profits and wants to alter the shape of government to lean more towards them with this next budget.

This isn't signed so there's still time for Republicans to change their minds, screw this up, and come back with the draconian cuts they want.

I mean, good luck with that I guess. It's pretty clear that the GOP is now looking to placate Democrats rather than try to work with the crazy Freedom Caucus, otherwise, they merely would have started doing what you said right now.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The best negotiator.

Another 15 billion into defense is still upsetting, though. Did the US really need more money poured into their military?

Will they, though? By that point they will need 60 voters, and I think it's pretty clear at this point that the Democrats are not going to budge on some of this, especially the wall.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Will they, though? By that point they will need 60 voters, and I think it's pretty clear at this point that the Democrats are not going to budge on some of this, especially the wall.

Yeah, I don't see the passage of time being of any benefit to the Trump camp here.

DopeToast

Banned
Trying to find confirmation that funding for CNCS (specifically AmeriCorps programs) wasn't cut. Those programs are important and meaningful for so many people.

Bold One

Per Bloomberg:

oxHMiK3.gif

They'll need 60 votes and election season will be gearing up. And Trump will likely be even more underwater. I doubt it.

Yea read that 20 times and still don't understand it

Does it mean that congress officially approved the insurance payments or not. I want to know if trump can change his mind tomorrow and defund it

Well congress hasn't officially approved anything yet, as it has yet to be voted on.

So what are we looking at for other areas? Education? Science? Arts? EPA?

As the bill hasn't come forward we don't know. Rumor is that EPA is going to keep nearly all its funding for FY '17. Also this now, obviously.

Per Bloomberg:

But again, rumor until the budget comes up for vote.

gcubed

Yeah, I don't see the passage of time being of any benefit to the Trump camp here.

a benefit? Its a marked detriment. The closer you get to 2018, the less anyone in a race in the house (which, if special elections keep showing the same results, that can mean a very large portion of them) or senators facing an election are going to go anywhere near Trumps budget outline. The budget is DOA.

I actually wonder how many "almost" health care repeal votes we are going to have with a GOP controlled Pres/Senate/House. Can we top repeal votes from a Dem presidency? What are we at, 3 now? i know we need like another 47, but they are going to try!

KHarvey16

Some people really love hanging onto pessimism.

bengraven

So awesome that God Emporer has increased funding for the arts and extended the ACA despite Obamas attempts at crushing those basic human rights.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
a benefit? Its a marked detriment. The closer you get to 2018, the less anyone in a race in the house (which, if special elections keep showing the same results, that can mean a very large portion of them) or senators facing an election are going to go anywhere near Trumps budget outline. The budget is DOA.

I actually wonder how many "almost" health care repeal votes we are going to have with a GOP controlled Pres/Senate/House. Can we top repeal votes from a Dem presidency? What are we at, 3 now? i know we need like another 47, but they are going to try!

Yeah. I wonder if moderate Republicans putting his off ad they are worried about cutting the budget before 2018 and losing their seats.

If they win the House again in 2018 that would be a clearer mandate that they can do whatever they want though.

sangreal

There isn't much reason to think Republicans will be able to pass a budget without Democrats in September either

Even assuming they toss out the filibuster in the Senate

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah. I wonder if moderate Republicans putting his off ad they are worried about cutting the budget before 2018 and losing their seats.

If they win the House again in 2018 that would be a clearer mandate that they can do whatever they want though.

I don't think even Trump continuing to cuck everything up will lead to Dems actually winning the house in 2018, but I do expect the margin to grow a lot closer. Or at least, closer than I would have expected a few months ago.

Furyous

Some people really love hanging onto pessimism.

They didn't fund it for next year and guarantee they won't support draconian budget cuts in the future and this is far from over. You call it pessimistic and I call it realism.

Two democratic senators could side with Republicans, Senator Manchin and another senator, so they only need 58 votes. Be happy that Republicans didn't screw us over again with the budget but keep the pressure on them because they want to alter the budget to their goals at some point.

KHarvey16

They didn't fund it for next year and guarantee they won't support draconian budget cuts in the future and this is far from over. You call it pessimistic and I call it realism.

Two democratic senators could side with Republicans, Senator Manchin and another senator, so they only need 58 votes. Be happy that Republicans didn't screw us over again with the budget but keep the pressure on them because they want to alter the budget to their goals at some point.

No one is suggesting we let up. But to suggest it's likely his plans go anywhere at this point is ignoring reality. It gets much harder for them from here. Suggesting otherwise isn't realism.

I'm dumb, doesn't R have a majority in both houses? So why would they need to compromise this much?

That's got to be a lot of R members voting against their party lol

sangreal

I'm dumb, doesn't R have a majority in both houses? So why would they need to compromise this much?

They couldn't even come together to pass a continuing resolution to extend the talks for a week

Ithil

They need more than just a simple majority to pass things like this, and there's plenty of moderate Republicans who would fear losing their seats in elections if they passed some of these demands.

Anoregon

Republicans put party over country, but they put their own re-elections above everything. They know when supporting toxic legislation could have a negative impact.

KHarvey16

The truth is it's easy to unite in symbolic opposition, but to do so when actually given a chance to implement changes is hard. The myth of the unstoppable monolithic Republican Party is dying.

They spent 8 years being the party that united under their hatred of the first Black President. It has left them a party of splintered factions where they can't get even their most basic promises met as they usually can't agree on how evil something needs to be. They're a fucking joke.

jmdajr

So basically Congress budgeting however they want with no input from the Orange Turd.

He'll sign it and say it's all him anyway.

KHarvey16

So basically Congress budgeting however they want with no input from the Orange Turd.

If that's the price I'll gladly pay. This is a great sign for the utter lack of viability of this presidency.

TyrantII

So the plan seems to be to run out time untill 2018 at which point we'll have shutdowns by the house again once the Dems retake the Senate.

These fools wrote checks their asses can't cash in their demonization of government and federal spending.

sangreal

They need more than just a simple majority to pass things like this, and there's plenty of moderate Republicans who would fear losing their seats in elections if they passed some of these demands.

They only needed a simple majority in the house and couldn't pass anything. They turned to the Democrats out of necessity, not good will or because of the Senate. They would have liked nothing more to punt to the senate and then blame a Democratic filibuster for the shutdown.

if he somehow coerced the republican controlled government to push and pass single payer health care and dubbed it trumpcare, i wouldn't give a flying fuck and i'd actually thank for him

that'll never happen though

if he somehow coerced the republican controlled government to push and pass single payer health care and dubbed it trumpcare, i wouldn't give a flying fuck and i'd actually thank for him

that'll never happen though

That'd probably be about the only thing that would force them to actually impeach and remove him lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom