• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
practice02 said:
the shotgun sniper rifle and the bazooka gun are kind of worthless for points. You missed out on not getting the Flail gun.
I find all of those way better for points than the flail gun, personally. Those flails get caught up way too easily on corners you think they should clear.

I wasn't feeling the shotgun at first, but then I found the joy of Torpedo. And Pump Action makes it like a secondary kick but for more points, in most cases.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
practice02 said:
the shotgun sniper rifle and the bazooka gun are kind of worthless for points. You missed out on not getting the Flail gun.

I think the flail has some of the harder skillshots with Meat/Head Slicer, even though you can get a lot by grenade gagging enemies and kicking them at other people. When I play Echo mode I usually start with the shotgun and sniper because it's really easy to get a big amount of them. Torpedo and Juggler are two of my favorites to do in the game, <3 boneduster.

Tawpgun

The grenade gag, gang bang, homing missle, minefield, and most of all, sadist, are really easy points.

When I start doing more of the echoes I'll probably always have flail and the Penetrator if possible.

Papercuts

A27 Tawpgun said:
The grenade gag, gang bang, homing missle, minefield, and most of all, sadist, are really easy points.

When I start doing more of the echoes I'll probably always have flail and the Penetrator if possible.

The penetrator isn't in most of them. :'(

The last echo was a tough one, you have to get pretty creative. I got a newfound respect for the Screamer from it, the charge shot just shot at the floor has a lot of range, the entire room of enemies can light on fire. Mix that with the thumper for a shit ton of afterburner bonuses, maybe even firefighter.

Just finished this. Loved the characters. Really had a lot of fun with it. Finishing up the achievements on campaign will be a blast. Then it's off to Echoes and Anarchy. Plus with the Gears 3 beta as icing on the cake, I couldn't ask for a better package.

People Can Fly, you rock!

Grisby

I think I'm getting better at the game. More numbers are appearing above enemies and the scores are higher. Couldn't get the
Venus plants
to swallow anyone though, didn't figure that part out.

Damn, the echos are just like Mirrors Edge time trails. Loads of fun.

A27 Tawpgun said:

pistol flare + thumper with a group of enemies will also net you a ton of points.

EXGN

Besides the meat-brained characters and hoo-rah machoism, this game feels SO Japanese to me. The marriage of the score-based mechanics with first-person shooting seems like it should have been a no brainer for all these Japanese devs trying to appeal to Western gamers.

Anyways, really good stuff all around. Went in for the gameplay, was pleasantly surprised by the characters/story.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh man, I got EXACTLY 15,000 points on Collapsed Building and unlocked the achievement, lol.

Papercuts said:
The penetrator isn't in most of them. :'(

The last echo was a tough one, you have to get pretty creative. I got a newfound respect for the Screamer from it, the charge shot just shot at the floor has a lot of range, the entire room of enemies can light on fire. Mix that with the thumper for a shit ton of afterburner bonuses, maybe even firefighter.

One of the deadly mixes is afterburner + flyswatter. Burn the enemies with the flare, and then thumper them into the ceiling. Do that in the elevator on Collapsed Building and you'll get the 2,000 point achievement easily.

practice02 said:

The bouncer is actually pretty awesome. Just requires a bit of finesse. A single charged shot from it can get you soooo many points. You can get Boom, Sledgehammer, and Kick of Doom from a single one.

Use it in the small room in The Mall for some really awesome kills against the Burnouts.

Teknoman

EXGN said:
Besides the meat-brained characters and hoo-rah machoism, this game feels SO Japanese to me. The marriage of the score-based mechanics with first-person shooting seems like it should have been a no brainer for all these Japanese devs trying to appeal to Western gamers.

Anyways, really good stuff all around. Went in for the gameplay, was pleasantly surprised by the characters/story.

I'd pay to see Gray vs Sam (Vanquish) :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Teknoman said:
I'd pay to see Gray vs Sam (Vanquish) :p

I love Bullestorm. But Sam would kick Gray's ass. Gray couldn't even begin to compete with that suit.

TheOddOne said:
WANT WANT WANT... Cliffy make it happen.
Yeah, if I could start the game again with everything and fuck around in the first environments with the latter guns I'd play it again for sure. Right now, I don't really want to because I don't want to go back to just having the assault rifle.

Papercuts

I dunno why I just realized this but I noticed replaying the game that at the start
the little girl you protect is Trishka.
Pretty neat.

TheOddOne

Papercuts said:
I dunno why I just realized this but I noticed replaying the game that at the start
the little girl you protect is Trishka.
Pretty neat.
This is mentioned constantly in the second half of the game.

Edit: Beaten.

Mungular

i wasnt sure about this game because people werent likin it, but its so awesome! i dont know how you couldnt like it. its action packed and just so much fun to play

george_us

I just started a new game and it's really starting to click with me now. Guess I just needed a couple of playthroughs to get acquainted with it.

LiK

Stallion Free said:
There aren't any awesome jokes made about that plot point so it's easy to miss.

But like Ishi being Asian, I didn't miss that.
Kinda surprised they went there with the Asian jokes.

Kusagari

Tunavi said:
Spoilers
The battle with the giant plant was absolutely insane!
I feel like this game was made for me.

Probably the best boss battle I've ever encountered in a shooter. I was freaking the fuck out.

EatChildren said:
This is going to go down in my top 5 shooters of all time. I seriously cannot get over how fucking fantastic this game is. I love it.

One of the best shooters of the last decade. Utterly phenominal.

I have to really agree with this. It's shocking how many great FPS games have come out recently. This and L4D2 are so amazing.

Has anyone else encountered a glitch in Echoes Mode where your score doesn't save? It has happened to me twice on the 360 version.

The first time it happened was after my first run on one level. When I went back to the Echoes menu it still said that the level was "NEW" and I had no score on the leaderboads.

The second time was when I got 3 stars on the Collapsed Building level, but afterwards I was greeted by my old 2 star score.

EXGN said:

It's also worth noting that they tie the scoring and skill shot systems into the game's narrative pretty effectively

LiK

Anyone else disappointed there wasn't a level later in the game where you had a shootout on the
side of a building
like in the prologue? Would've been cool.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LiK said:
Anyone else disappointed there wasn't a level later in the game where you had a shootout on the
side of a building
They should have had it there in the start before I fell in love with the slide mechanic because if it had better later on in the game I just would have gotten frustrated having that ability removed.

Or just
tilt the building so I could slide the whole way down and pull off one massive combo or something.

LiK said:
Kinda surprised they went there with the Asian jokes.
Other than some off hand remark about sushi, I don't remember anything real offensive. Did I miss something?

LiK said:
side of a building
I wasn't... Until now! Thanks a lot.

LiK

Neuromancer said:
Other than some off hand remark about sushi, I don't remember anything real offensive. Did I miss something?

I wasn't... Until now! Thanks a lot.
Just one part when
Sarrano
mentioned his slanted eyes etc. Probably the first slur to come out when you met up with him. At least Ishii pointed it out instead of taking it, heh.

Neuromancer said:

Serrano refers to Ishi's slanty eyes in a somewhat offensive manner during the prison level

MrCompletely said:
It's also worth noting that they tie the scoring and skill shot systems into the game's narrative pretty effectively

That was done pretty well. I liked how it was poked fun at too.

One thing that made it more fun for me? The whole 'active screen' score updates thingy. Not to bash Vanquish (different type of score game, etc etc.), but I much prefer the way BS's system is more intrusive in the game. On Vanquish it's just in the corner of the screen but here it's 'boom skillshot', 'pow skillshot'. It makes you feel more.. 'involved' with the scoring? Just an opinion, of course.

LiK said:
Just one part when
Sarrano
mentioned his slanted eyes etc. Probably the first slur to come out when you met up with him. At least Ishii pointed it out instead of taking it, heh.

but that was awesome because
you can really tell he's an asshole :D and the remark after that "you can't do anything about it can you?" gives a good reason to murder him :D (i also remember yellow fever and sushidick but i don't know where those rank on offensive scale :D)

LiK

Noisepurge said:
but that was awesome because
you can really tell he's an asshole :D and the remark after that "you can't do anything about it can you?" gives a good reason to murder him :D (i also remember yellow fever and sushidick but i don't know where those rank on offensive scale :D)
Oh yea, I'm not personally offended by it cuz that character is a real asshole so it made sense. Just surprised it was in the game at all.

stuminus3

MarshMellow96 said:
One thing that made it more fun for me? The whole 'active screen' score updates thingy. Not to bash Vanquish (different type of score game, etc etc.), but I much prefer the way BS's system is more intrusive to the game. On Vanquish it's just in the corner of the screen but here it's 'boom skillshot', 'pow skillshot'. It makes you feel more.. 'involved' with the scoring? Just an opinion, of course.
I know what you mean, I loved this. Nothing better than randomly firing off a massive thump in a crowded room and having your screen filling up with all kinds of skillshot combo notices.

LiK said:
Just one part when
Sarrano
MrCompletely said:
Serrano refers to Ishi's slanty eyes in a somewhat offensive manner during the prison level
Ah must have missed it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bulletstorm is without a doubt the best use of UE3 as far as I'm concerned, with the only exception being Mirror's Edge (though I dont consider that a completely fair comparison). PCF's art here shits over everybody else. I hope Mass Effect 3 has the god rays and what-not.

bs42ub2.png

EatChildren said:
Bulletstorm is without a doubt the best use of UE3 as far as I'm concerned, with the only exception being Mirror's Edge (though I dont consider that a completely fair comparison). PCF's art here shits over everybody else. I hope Mass Effect 3 has the god rays and what-not.

http://www.abload.de/img/bs42ub2.png[img][/QUOTE]
Arkham Asylum.

LiK

EatChildren said:

bs42ub2.png
Yea, gorgeous vistas. I kept pausing to look at them. I wanna give the artists props for making such a beautiful game. Hope to see more worlds they come up with in the sequel.

Hawk SE

Picked this up over the weekend, really fun. I need to play more, but this is such a videogame and I like it. I just need to be more creative.

Top Bottom