• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
LiK said:
Just one part when
Sarrano
mentioned his slanted eyes etc. Probably the first slur to come out when you met up with him. At least Ishii pointed it out instead of taking it, heh.

There was also the part where
Sarrano
joked about the big-titted chicks with yellow fever.

zam

The section where you
"team" up with Sarrano was a great design move, made me hate the guy even more and want to kill him ASAP, that section combined with how he acts throughout the game made me really want to kill him brutally and it made the final showdown with Sarrano that much more satisfying.
Don't think I've played a game in a long while where I wanted to kill the big villain that badly. Most games I just want to kill them to end the game/advance the story, or I kinda want to kill the villain, but this game did a great job of making me just hate the villain.

Though at the same time I'm a little impressed by just what an evil bastard Sarrano is.

Also I loved the gameplay and combat and graphics in this game, but I was also suprised by how much I enjoyed most of the dialog: "I'll kill your dick" or the short part with Ishi and Gray in the elevator joking about making out in the elevator. And loved how slightly retarded Gray is,
"Hey Gray, the roof in here is pretty unstable" *kicks barrel into a support beam and causes the place to start coming down* "Oh god dammit Gray"
, or later with the burnouts
"Hey we gotta be real quiet here Gray" *kicks sign and sets off 50 explosions*
or just kicking a door open only to have it bounce right back in his face :D

And anarchy mode is still awesome fun, but most of the maps are pretty meh, but Dead Rock is really great. But you can't just play with randoms, I'm at about lvl 38-ish and I have only completed wave 20 once and we got 48k score, 2k away from the achievement :(

Oh and does anyone know if you can get the "complete game on very hard" by doing chapter select? I heard that if you do new game you lose all your skillshot progress, but it seems that when I replayed a couple sections on very easy to pick up some collectibles and grab a few achievements I missed, the skillshot progress from my normal playthrough was still there. Do the skillshots reset only when you choose "new game"?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
EatChildren said:
Bulletstorm is without a doubt the best use of UE3 as far as I'm concerned, with the only exception being Mirror's Edge (though I dont consider that a completely fair comparison). PCF's art here shits over everybody else. I hope Mass Effect 3 has the god rays and what-not.

bs42ub2.png
I'll hold off reolaying it until there is an update either to the game or ATI drivers to get god rays working on the 6950. Had to turn them off

I beat it rather easily on Normal, but damn the hardest setting is killing me. I spent some time trying to get the 2000 points in one move, and finally gave up. Eventually found an easy way to do it. If anyone needs it for an achievement/trophy, just do level 14 of Echoes. In the very first room with the airlock immediately use a thumper on one of the middle guys and splat you'll get about 2.5-3k

Kinspiracy said:
I beat it rather easily on Normal, but damn the hardest setting is killing me. I spent some time trying to get the 2000 points in one move, and finally gave up. Eventually found an easy way to do it. If anyone needs it for an achievement/trophy, just do level 14 of Echoes. In the very first room with the airlock immediately use a thumper on one of the middle guys and splat you'll get about 2.5-3k
Oh thanks that sounds like exactly the amount of effort I was willing to put in on it.

Railer

Finished it an hour ago on normal. I really liked the game, beat it in like 3 sittings.
I had no problems going through on normal, the few times i died in the game was because of me messing something up badly. Enjoyed most of the weapons, although my favorites were the charged shot on the cannon gun and the drill gun.

Time for some echoes!

Messi

Is it wrong that I like Grayson, well all of the crew. He is easy to get behind. Keep in mind I just got to chapter 4 I think.

Loving this game.

TheOddOne

zam said:
The section where you
"team" up with Sarrano was a great design move, made me hate the guy even more and want to kill him ASAP, that section combined with how he acts throughout the game made me really want to kill him brutally and it made the final showdown with Sarrano that much more satisfying.
Don't think I've played a game in a long while where I wanted to kill the big villain that badly. Most games I just want to kill them to end the game/advance the story, or I kinda want to kill the villain, but this game did a great job of making me just hate the villain.
His constant taunting about how
Grey killed the crewmembers on Sorrano's ship was kind of fucked up. Made me kind of feel bad

Messi said:
Is it wrong that I like Grayson, well all of the crew. He is easy to get behind. Keep in mind I just got to chapter 4 I think.

Loving this game.
He is incredibly likable and his motives for his behavior are understandable.

Bliddo

The last three chapter were a bug-fest. I lost count of the times I had to restart the chapter because the friendly AI got stuck and wouldn't let me proceed.
Loved the whole game, but all the glitches are really annoying.

Barrett2

I know I shouldn't make a pronouncement like this after only a week, but Bulletstorm might be the most pure *fun* i have had with any game the last five years. To paraphrase someone else in the thread, this game just *gets it,* if that makes sense.

Kinspiracy said:
I've tried this a bunch of times and always fall short of the mark. Which guy are you aiming your leash at, initially?

Bliddo said:
The last three chapter were a bug-fest. I lost count of the times I had to restart the chapter because the friendly AI got stuck and wouldn't let me proceed.
Loved the whole game, but all the glitches are really annoying.

This happened to me once or twice, but i noticed that it was actually an enemy getting stuck somewhere in the geometry. If the AI is firing somewhere, try to throw your leash around at that point, you might release the enemy and 'unstuck' the game.

Neuromancer said:
I've tried this a bunch of times and always fall short of the mark. Which guy are you aiming your leash at, initially?

As you walk in the room (this is on Echoes, btw, not the campaign version) there's guys on the platform to your left, a bunch in the middle and then more in the airlock to the right. I point a little towards the airlock and hit one of them with the thumper and it gets all the guys to the right and left of him.

You could probably add a charged pistol shot beforehand to maximise your score. Simply fire at the ceiling then thump them into it. They get slammed into the burning ceiling and you get a nice fat multiplier. Afterburner ahoy!

Game is messing with my vernacular..

Kinspiracy said:
As you walk in the room (this is on Echoes, btw, not the campaign version) there's guys on the platform to your left, a bunch in the middle and then more in the airlock to the right. I point a little towards the airlock and hit one of them with the thumper and it gets all the guys to the right and left of him.
Great that worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

Zeliard

Hitting the thumper, seeing several enemies fly up, hitting each of them one-by-one with the Penetrator, and then watching body parts fall all around you as the slow-mo wears off and the Penetrator drills have finished doing their work.

Ladies and gentlemen, Bulletstorm.

A27 Tawpgun said:
That's it. I'm going to commit myself to 1000/1000 this game.

I'm going for it too. Good thing I've got a few mates to run through it with.

I've been trying to nail what it is about this game. It's weird.. It feels kind of like when you play Gears of War for the first time, and you rev that chainsaw and that first kill. It has that kind of quality to it..

Blair

Banned
Starting playing, got up to chapter 3.

Sliding around with the shotgun, shooting people in half, over the edges, into spikes... this game is a fucking blast. The shotgun is the one weapon you really have to get nice and satisfying in a game like this. They nailed it.

Tunavi

Banned
Alright everyone should post their favorite skill shot combos that they've earned.

In anarchy I used the charge shot of the Flailgun to get 2 headshots, french-revolution, chain-reaction, afterburner, bossed.

Lunchbox

Banned
i just wanna get in that world and look at things

its the exact opposite feeling unreal engine games usually give me. so weird how a color pallet change can transform this engine so quick. Give people can fly Gears of war after the trilogy is done, they can probably out do epic

Lingitiz

Blair said:
Starting playing, got up to chapter 3.

Sliding around with the shotgun, shooting people in half, over the edges, into spikes... this game is a fucking blast. The shotgun is the one weapon you really have to get nice and satisfying in a game like this. They nailed it.
Just wait till you unlock the charge shot. Using the thumper and then the charge shot for acid rain is so satisfying.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tunavi said:
Alright everyone should post their favorite skill shot combos that they've earned.

In anarchy I used the charge shot of the Flailgun to get 2 headshots, french-revolution, chain-reaction, afterburner, bossed.

Thumped a single enemy up away from a group on the ground, shot a charged screamer shot at the on ground set and a charged penetrator shot at the guy in air. Aimed it down and fired it down at one of the guys at the ground and it shishkabob'd all 3 of them and angled up so I got 3x mile high club + 3x afterburner + 1x firefighter + 1x Air Strike on top of it. It was randomly in the campaign and I also got the 2K achievement for it.

I love the things Ishi and Trishka say during Echoes when you pull off a huge kill. Just finished the 3 Stars on First 14 achievement and only one level gave me problems. The 13th one. I just couldnt get a good combo to start it with, but eventually figured it out.

I have no way of knowing because I havent played Duke Nukem yet, but I'm guessing when it comes out people are going to wish it was more like Bulletstorm.

Tunavi

Banned
Papercuts said:
Thumped a single enemy up away from a group on the ground, shot a charged screamer shot at the on ground set and a charged penetrator shot at the guy in air. Aimed it down and fired it down at one of the guys at the ground and it shishkabob'd all 3 of them and angled up so I got 3x mile high club + 3x afterburner + 1x firefighter + 1x Air Strike on top of it. It was randomly in the campaign and I also got the 2K achievement for it.
Nice, things like this really wish there was a replay/theater mode.

Kinspiracy said:
I have no way of knowing because I havent played Duke Nukem yet, but I'm guessing when it comes out people are going to wish it was more like Bulletstorm.
My thoughts exactly. I know Bulletstorm is better than Duke Nukem is going to be, even though DNF will have more hype and will sell better

Grisby

Finished. I'll post more impressions later.

A great game that has a lot of replay value. The only negative thing is that during the last two chapters I experienced some heavy slowdown. It let up near the final moments of the game but still, disappointing. On 360 btw.

I imagine its because of all the explosions I was setting off.

Tunavi said:

flail gun a guy in a group thump the group shot one with a flair then slam dunk someone else.

Zeliard

Echoes mode is like condensed morcels of greatness. I almost don't even need New Game + anymore. Almost.

And I don't even really play it for the points. The core gameplay in Bulletstorm is just fun as hell.

mr stroke

Just finished, impressions-

good+

+Amazing graphics and great use of color(PC Version)
+Immature, Juvenile, cheese dialog-fits the game perfectly
+Combat-Whipping, kicking and sliding is a refreshing change and it works
+Great single player campaign
+Game is just a blast, most fun in a single player game in long time

bad-
-No Co-op, WTF? Really? this game is perfect for it
-bad sound mixing-volume is up and down, and poor LFE
-No competitive multiplayer
-Odd PC performance for a UE3 game
-Repetitive enemies, there were maybe 6 different type of enemies?
-Ending

Minor faults with an overall awesome game. Really impressed with People Can Fly, this is much better than Painkiller and I can't wait to see what they can do with a sequel.

Teknoman

I know i've said this many times now...but...

has Epic specifically stated they've moved on from the Unreal franchise? If not, think there could be a chance they let People Can Fly take a spin at another campaign focused Unreal? They really seem like they can make alien yet believable worlds, and the desert/cave areas seemed like they would be right at home in that universe.

zam

Tunavi said:

Me and a friend rack up tons of points on the Dead Rock map. We each get the flail-gun and stand on either side of the tornado in the middle. If enemies are on his side, he shoots them hit the flail and kicks them, then I leash them from the other side so they go into the tornado, if enemies are on my side I do the same and he leashes them. Sadist + Yoink + Shocker + Not in kansas and all of those have the team multiplier. Doing this we managed to get 48k (2k away from the 50k achievement) on wave 20, despite the other two idiots running around just kicking and shooting dudes on their own.

Tawpgun

zam said:
Me and a friend rack up tons of points on the Dead Rock map. We each get the flail-gun and stand on either side of the tornado in the middle. If enemies are on his side, he shoots them hit the flail and kicks them, then I leash them from the other side so they go into the tornado, if enemies are on my side I do the same and he leashes them. Sadist + Yoink + Shocker + Not in kansas and all of those have the team multiplier. Doing this we managed to get 48k (2k away from the 50k achievement) on wave 20, despite the other two idiots running around just kicking and shooting dudes on their own.

I want in on these shenanigans.

Barrett2

Started my second play through, this time on Very Hard, but i don't think this is gonna work. Mostly on my 2nd play i just want to work on crazy skillshots and use different weapons, but i am so quickly in danger of dying. Thinking I'll drop it down to Normal, and just go nuts.

Zeliard

I've been considering starting a new game on Very Hard, but those fucking Vultures are awful to fight. Worst enemy in the game.

I beat it on Hard first time around, and by far the worst part of the game was that one section in the first couple or so chapters where you have to take down three or four Vultures without a turret, and it's fucking ridiculous. You die so quickly; 95% of my deaths in the entire playthrough came in that one part.

jhawk6

Teknoman said:

has Epic specifically stated they've moved on from the Unreal franchise? If not, think there could be a chance they let People Can Fly take a spin at another campaign focused Unreal? They really seem like they can make alien yet believable worlds, and the desert/cave areas seemed like they would be right at home in that universe.

People Can Fly would do a great job with a new Unreal. Epic should let this happen!

Zeliard

Teknoman said:

Sure but certainly not campaign-focused. I think it would be a huge missed opportunity to have People Can Fly make an Unreal game and not have them focus even more heavily on the multiplayer than single. Painkiller's multiplayer was amazing.

Teknoman said:

I'm pretty sure someone owns the unreal ip and it isn't Epic. Sorry to burst your bubble.
MrCompletely said:
for the 100% skillshots achievement, do you need to do that in a single playthrough or is it universal (including Echos, Anarchy, etc)?
You have to do it in single player.

practice02 said:
I'm pretty sure someone owns the unreal ip and it isn't Epic. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Source? Epic's developed every Unreal game, among various publishers. I think this is incorrect, especially considering the UNREAL ENGINE is the bread and butter of Epic's business.

MrCompletely said:
for the 100% skillshots achievement, do you need to do that in a single playthrough or is it universal (including Echos, Anarchy, etc)?

I got the 50 percent achievement during my first run. Then I moved to Echoes and during my first run it set off the 75 percent achievement. So you can definitely do it across the single player modes.

jhawk6 said:
Really? Who owns it? I thought it would be Epic but maybe I'm mistaken.
My bad sort of, on the wikipedia page for the Unreal series Midway currently owns the publishing rights. So that would imply that intellectual property is owned by Epic, but if they want to release any game with the Unreal name Midway needs to give the okay.

practice02 said:
On the wikipedia page for the Unreal series Midway currently owns the publishing rights. So that would imply that intellectual property is owned by Epic, but if they want to release any game with the Unreal name Midway needs to give the okay.
That may have been just related to the release of UT3, but not the franchise itself.

Top Bottom