• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Played Echo Mode for the first time today. Played for about an hour. Got 3-stars on every one besides two. Might go back and play some more after lunch.

MightyHedgehog said:
That may have been just related to the release of UT3, but not the franchise itself.
Taking into account the state that Midway is in, I think it would be safe to assume they do and own the franchise publishing rights and don't have enough resources to hold up what ever their contractual obligations are. This is not fact this is just assumption with a entertainment law class behind it.

practice02 said:
Taking into account the state that Midway is in, I think it would be safe to assume they do and own the franchise publishing rights and don't have enough resources to hold up what ever their contractual obligations are. This is not fact this is just assumption with a entertainment law class behind it.
Midway's dead, though. Whatever contract they had very likely was fulfilled with the release of the console and computer versions of UT3 years ago, as Midway was the publisher for that particular installment. As well, a Wiki entry isn't always going to be up to date.

Than the publishing rights are going to be tied up legally for awhile until they are liquidated, papers are signed and someone else buys them. Long story short don't expect a Unreal game anytime soon. There was something though I remember about someone buying up a lot of Midways stuff, I mean there was that mortal combat game right?

jhawk6

Reluctant-Hero said:
Just reached Act 7 this morning. The single player campaign has been awesome, I don't want the ride to end.

Unfortunately, all good things do come to end. However, that doens't stop you from starting over and riding it all again a 2nd time :)

practice02 said:
Than the publishing rights are going to be tied up legally for awhile until they are liquidated, papers are signed and someone else buys them. Long story short don't expect a Unreal game anytime soon. There was something though I remember about someone buying up a lot of Midways stuff, I mean there was that mortal combat game right?

Some private holding company came in, bought out Midways sinking stock, and mismanaged the company into bankruptcy. Anything of value was bought up by Warner. Since UT3 came out in 2007, I highly doubt a publishing agreement still exists, or even existed in 2008 after sales of UT3 tanked hard.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Just reached Act 7 this morning. The single player campaign has been awesome, I don't want the ride to end.
Anarchy mode is one of the best enemy wave multiplayers I've played. The fun has only just begun.
MrCompletely said:
Some private holding company came in, bought out Midways sinking stock, and mismanaged the company into bankruptcy. Anything of value was bought up by Warner. Since UT3 came out in 2007, I highly doubt a publishing agreement still exists, or even existed in 2008 after sales of UT3 tanked hard.
Usually those publishing agreements consist of a specific number of games. I find it hard to believe that they would agree to just a single game. Maybe ol' CliffyB is watching this and would enlighten us just a little.

jhawk6 said:
Unfortunately, all good things do come to end. However, that doens't stop you from starting over and riding it all again a 2nd time :)
Very true. But I'll hold off on a second playthrough in hopes that Epic/PCF patch in a New Game+ mode with a campaign leaderboard.

Until then, I'll have plenty of fun with the Echo & Anarchy modes.

practice02 said:
Anarchy mode is one of the best enemy wave multiplayers I've played. The fun has only just begun.

Usually those publishing agreements consist of a specific number of games. I find it hard to believe that they would agree to just a single game. Maybe ol' CliffyB is watching this and would enlighten us just a little.

yes, they usually consist of a number of games, but that doesn't mean the contract can't be nullified for any number of reasons, such as your publisher going bankrupt.

Riposte

If I were to go buy a vanilla copy right now, I wouldn't get into the Gears 3 beta right? I just want to make sure that is only the case with the epic edition.

Riposte said:
If I were to go buy a vanilla copy right now, I wouldn't get into the Gears 3 beta right? I just want to make sure that is only the case with the epic edition.
You should still be able to find an epic edition.

MrCompletely said:
yes, they usually consist of a number of games, but that doesn't mean the contract can't be nullified for any number of reasons, such as your publisher going bankrupt.
Only if it's stated within that contract as a term. You see all those rights that midway owns are looked upon as assets so when the went belly up to pay back debters they start selling those publishing rights off. BUt it doesn't matter because midway Owned those rights so they can do with them what they wish if Epic wants or wanted them they would have to take them to court to recover them.

Hixx

Asda sold me a 'new' copy. Yet I get home and find the code isn't valid. And so the shitty side of the used game market rears its head. Disgraceful.

practice02 said:
Only if it's stated within that contract as a term. You see all those rights that midway owns are looked upon as assets so when the went belly up to pay back debters they start selling those publishing rights off. BUt it doesn't matter because midway Owned those rights so they can do with them what they wish if Epic wants or wanted them they would have to take them to court to recover them.

it's either Warner Bro's or Epic; if I'm Epic games, I've got lawyers who know how to leave me an exit strategy in a contract so one my flagship properties isn't stuck in legal limbo

Grisby

So I can go back through chapter select to pick up newsbots and swarms that I missed right? Also, to clean up the skill shots?

If I start a new game that wipes everything out? Thanks fellas.

Finished it on hard and three starred all of echo mode. It's maybe a bit too easy to three star most of them but no big deal, I can still try and better my scores. Think I'm going to go through campaign again on very hard first though.

I'm now understanding why you all love the shotgun, so much fun. Didn't really use it much first time through the campaign. The skillshots for it are all really fun to do as well. Also makes getting fire in the hole (disgusting sfx by the way :p) on the bosses really easy as well.

Untracked

Just got the Enforcer Achievement for getting 15,000 points in one Echo.
Did it in one attempt on The Mall. Used the Shotty and Pistol till the Dropbox, then Flail and Bouncer to the end. The Electro Flies helped, along with Nom Juice and the Fast Food / Sausage Fest cart.
This game made me realise how little fun I've been having in other shooters lately.
<3

Christ, the writing in this game felt so juvenile. So little character development, so many swears just thrown around to be edgy ... it all really put me off. The game really gave me no incentive to care about the characters at all, so it all felt so ... pointless. Plus, it was a story solely about revenge and that's it. Those aren't interesting at all. But who really cares about story that much in a game like this?

Outside of that, I enjoyed the game, though it did get a little repetitive towards the end. I wish there were a few more weapons and a little more variety in the levels/enemies. Seems like at the end
it only got a little difficult because of how many enemies they threw at you at once. Felt kind of cheap, a little bit of a cop out.
Overall an enjoyable experience. Glad that I got a $20 credit with my preorder, though.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Unreal Engine 3 is very... scalable. This is the default setting it chose for my PC:

Irra2.jpg

backflip10019 said:
Christ, the writing in this game felt so juvenile. So little character development, so many swears just thrown around to be edgy ... it all really put me off. The game really gave me no incentive to care about the characters at all, so it all felt so ... pointless. Plus, it was a story solely about revenge and that's it. Those aren't interesting at all. But who really cares about story that much in a game like this?

Outside of that, I enjoyed the game, though it did get a little repetitive towards the end. I wish there were a few more weapons and a little more variety in the levels/enemies. Seems like at the end
it only got a little difficult because of how many enemies they threw at you at once. Felt kind of cheap, a little bit of a cop out.
Overall an enjoyable experience. Glad that I got a $20 credit with my preorder, though.
Actually it's more of a story of redemption. redeeming himself to ishi redeeming himself for all the people he killed.

Air Zombie Meat said:
I'm now understanding why you all love the shotgun, so much fun. Didn't really use it much first time through the campaign. The skillshots for it are all really fun to do as well. Also makes getting fire in the hole (disgusting sfx by the way :p) on the bosses really easy as well.
I like how fire literally erupts out of the dude's anus when you do that.

Grisby said:
So I can go back through chapter select to pick up newsbots and swarms that I missed right? Also, to clean up the skill shots?

If I start a new game that wipes everything out? Thanks fellas.
Yes I can confirm starting a new games wipes out everything so you're better off doing chapter select.

It's a real head scratching design decision, it would have been nice to know which ones I'd gotten previously.

Barrett2

Shortly into my 2nd playthrough, this *really* needs a new game +. It's a bummer having to plod through the first two boring hours again before the game opens up.

practice02 said:
Actually it's more of a story of redemption. redeeming himself to ishi redeeming himself for all the people he killed.
Didn't really feel like that to me. If that's the case, it was really portrayed poorly.

S1kkZ

Neuromancer said:
Yes I can confirm starting a new games wipes out everything so you're better off doing chapter select.
chapter select also wipes out all the skillshots you already got (it does for me).

S1kkZ said:
chapter select also wipes out all the skillshots you already got (it does for me).
Lame!

lawblob said:
Shortly into my 2nd playthrough, this *really* needs a new game +. It's a bummer having to plod through the first two boring hours again before the game opens up.
Yeah it does, I really really REALLY hope that gets patched in some day.

Just wanted to chime in and say this game is awesome. I'm only on the second act but it's already been a hell of a ride. I'm also getting a kick out the skill shot system. I was worried it would be overwhelming at first but they've done a great job easing me into it and constantly showing new ways to score creative kills, instead of using the same couple of attacks over and over.

Barrett2

Tkawsome said:
Just wanted to chime in and say this game is awesome. I'm only on the second act but it's already been a hell of a ride. I'm also getting a kick out the skill shot system. I was worried it would be overwhelming at first but they've done a great job easing me into it and constantly showing new ways to score creative kills, instead of using the same couple of attacks over and over.
Just wait til you get the drill. ;)

Zeliard

I haven't glanced much at the skillshot menu, but is that Penetrator charged melee drill useful for points? Didn't seem to be when I tried it, but then again, I wasn't really trying to combo it with anything specific.

It looks pretty awesome, though.

Tawpgun

So I REALLY love the shotgun and all, but I can't find myself deviating from the Screamer and Flailgun in Echoes. The demo must have ruined me...

Lingitiz

Just finished this and thought the ending was okay but nothing special. I felt like the pacing of the endgame was solid enough though, made you really want to barrel towards the finish. Overall the campaign was amazing and I'll probably dump a ton of hours into echoes and anarchy. I'll gladly eat up any dlc in anticipation for bs2.

maomaoIYP

S1kkZ said:

It only removes the 'tick' against it, which means the next time you do that skillshot the points count as if it was brand new, but as long as you can see the name of the skillshot it has already been counted towards the Golden Idol achievement.

Just finished my second run through, this time on Very Hard. The difference in difficulty shows itself in how much damage you can take, how much damage it takes to kill a mob, and how much ammo and upgrades cost. The cost of upgrades is so high that I never ended up buying the last 3 weapons. All I used for the entire run was flail, flare, shotgun, and the default weapon. And I never added the charge to flail. It's harder to earn points due to the damage, which means you cant stupidly run out and create huge point clusters. Stupid as it sounds, it felt more like a shooter on Very Hard, and I wouldn't necessarily call that a good thing. Love this game. Frickin love it.

ssowinski

Just finished it now. Great game. The ending was a little ehhhh.

I dare say that I liked it better than Dead Space 2 since it was more of the same while BS was different and fresh. Looking forward to a sequel.

ssowinski said:
Just finished it now. Great game. The ending was a little ehhhh.

Looking forward to a sequel.
Just finished as well. My thoughts exactly.

I haven't enjoyed a non-Halo FPS this much since Goldeneye in the N64. Excellent game. Bravo, People Can Fly, bravo.

What Bulletstorm did for me was change my expectations of Duke Nukem. I intended to buy it for reasons of nostalgia and a longing to play an FPS that didn't take itself seriously, and had humor throughout. Unless it's an awesome playing game, I've had my humorous-murder-boner stroked by Bulletstorm.

Lingitiz

Kinspiracy said:
Just finished my second run through, this time on Very Hard. The difference in difficulty shows itself in how much damage you can take, how much damage it takes to kill a mob, and how much ammo and upgrades cost. The cost of upgrades is so high that I never ended up buying the last 3 weapons. All I used for the entire run was flail, flare, shotgun, and the default weapon. And I never added the charge to flail. It's harder to earn points due to the damage, which means you cant stupidly run out and create huge point clusters. Stupid as it sounds, it felt more like a shooter on Very Hard, and I wouldn't necessarily call that a good thing. Love this game. Frickin love it.
Did you have alot of trouble with very hard? I'm considering playing on hard first but not sure...

___

Neo Member
I really didn't think I'd like Bulletstorm. When I first heard of it, I was interested, but lost interest over time. I decided to pick it up a few days ago, and I beat it in one sitting on normal. I loved this game.

thetechkid

I started playing last night and been having a blast on hard. Play a segment every so often between whatever else I'm doing and just overall enjoying the game. Plus tons and tons of dick jokes.

Tunavi

Banned
noire said:
Traded Killzone 3 for this tonight but I haven't tried it yet. Didn't even think about the online pass bullshit. :(

Edit: yep, just checked. No online for me.
Online for you! The code is only for a few extra echos maps and the GoW beta. I haven't used it yet just in case the early beta access has high demand.

joat217

Neo Member
Really enjoyed it, i must admit i would have probably bought the game in bargain price down the road but thought what the hell.

It was really fun, and it wasn't as over the to and shallow as i thought it would be.
Good 'ish.

I was playing it last night and drank some booze and it gave me "7/50 (or whatever total number) bottles drunk" I died and restarted just before it and drank it again and it said "8/50 bottles drunk."

Does that mean you could just sit there dying and drinking until you got them all?

Might work for newsbots and flies as well...

MonkeyKnuckle said:
I was playing it last night and drank some booze and it gave me "7/50 (or whatever total number) bottles drunk" I died and restarted just before it and drank it again and it said "8/50 bottles drunk."

Does that mean you could just sit there dying and drinking until you got them all?

Might work for newsbots and flies as well...

This works for both drinking and shooting the bottles, there's 2 achievements for /20 each and you can reload your checkpoint to farm them. But it doesn't work for newsbot and flies, you have to find those specifically.

ThingontheFloor said:
This works for both drinking and shooting the bottles, there's 2 achievements for /20 each and you can reload your checkpoint to farm them. But it doesn't work for newsbot and flies, you have to find those specifically.

Ah ok, thanks.

Top Bottom