• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Just finished it. Holy shit what a ride. Loved the story, sort of weird how it had more meat to it than games that present themselves as a hell of a lot more storydriven. Didn't keep track of the hours, but it felt pretty long too, and action packed. Now to the Echoes bit.

Murdersome

This game is sooo much fun. It's disappointing how shooters with awesome abilities like this and Vanquish don't seem to sell, I'd rather have more of these games than derivative Gears or CoD clones. My only caveat is that the game is far too easy, even on Very Hard.

Amory

Man, this game is scratching an itch I didn't know I had. I just played through the original Gears of War on Hardcore, which took me forever and was really frustrating...and bleak as all hell. It was fun, but by comparison this is just so refreshing. Fluid combat, over-the-top dialogue, cool weapons...

And the environments are amazing. The times where you break out of a closed-in area and find yourself overlooking a sun drenched beach or a snowy mountain range or what have you...awesome. I just stop and admire it a bit before I get back to shooting dudes. Really pretty graphics.

I also like that the game flows well and your normal walking speed is as quick as most FPS's running speed. Really establishes a good pace.

It's just an unusual game, and surprisingly well designed. I guess People Can Fly are no newcomers, and being with Epic certainly helps because those dudes are pros at what they do and what they do is hot, but whereas I expected great carnage, I was surprised by how good the campaign was all the way until the end. That's a nice experience. The Echoes stuff is neat, but I honestly miss the campaign thread. May just end up playing SP again, a few times.

And yeah, the environments. I hope Epic is looking at this and thinking "oh yeah, that's neat."

Amory

CartridgeBlower said:
What difficulty do people recommend playing on for a first time through? Does it affect the point system?

I'm playing it on Normal and I'm absolutely blowing through it, but I wasn't looking for much of a challenge. Maybe I'll run through it again on a harder setting later on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, normal seems a little too easy so far.

I'm trying to reign in the hyperbole, but I'm having a fucking blast with this game. I don't think I've had as much fun with any other single player FPS this gen. It's nuts.

MMaRsu

Snuggler said:
Yeah, normal seems a little too easy so far.

I'm trying to reign in the hyperbole, but I'm having a fucking blast with this game. I don't think I've had as much fun with any other single player FPS this gen. It's nuts.

It has one of the best FPS SP campaigns in years imo.

I'm enjoying it a lot also. It's just nice to play a good lighthearted shooter, we really need more of these this gen. Everything is CoD and even when it's not it's still super serious. Borderlands is really the only other game I can think of that kind of qualifies. Duke should be similar though when that comes out but I still have my doubts about that game.

desertdroog

Bulletstorm is a twich-shooter of explosive mayhem! When you get in the rhythm of its shooting system and can do so at speed, it blends a new generation FPS with the side scrolling schmup action from the 16 bit era.

Just rented the game today. I'm only on chapter two of act one but damn if this games isn't a lot of fun. Just over the top and silly in all the right ways.

Dave Long

Banned
desertdroog said:
Bulletstorm is a twich-shooter of explosive mayhem! When you get in the rhythm of its shooting system and can do so at speed, it blends a new generation FPS with the side scrolling schmup action from the 16 bit era.
I like that it rewards speed AND skill in the Echoes.

However, The Club did it first. The Club is still awesome after all this time and it was the first game to specifically combine racing and skilled shooting, though obviously with an over-the-shoulder perspective instead of first person.

Either way, both The Club and Bulletstorm are awesome and just the type of thing I enjoy.

CartridgeBlower said:
What difficulty do people recommend playing on for a first time through? Does it affect the point system?

I'd recommend normal. It gives you plenty of leeway to set up all kinds of cool skillshots. The higher the difficulty, the more you need to treat the game like a standard shooter (taking cover etc). Difficulty doesn't affect the number of points you earn, but it affects in a huge way the number of points that upgrades and ammo cost.

MMaRsu

CartridgeBlower said:
I just started, but I'm actually into the story. It's very lean and slightly generic, but it's quick and the dialogue is good. Very surprised.

The story is very brotastic, but certainly isn't bad :).

Dave Long said:
I like that it rewards speed AND skill in the Echoes.

However, The Club did it first. The Club is still awesome after all this time and it was the first game to specifically combine racing and skilled shooting, though obviously with an over-the-shoulder perspective instead of first person.

Either way, both The Club and Bulletstorm are awesome and just the type of thing I enjoy.

The Club was amazing indeed, I loved that game as well. Too bad almost nobody bought it and Bizarre is no more -_- :(

Kinspiracy said:
I'd recommend normal. It gives you plenty of leeway to set up all kinds of cool skillshots. The higher the difficulty, the more you need to treat the game like a standard shooter (taking cover etc). Difficulty doesn't affect the number of points you earn, but it affects in a huge way the number of points that upgrades and ammo cost.
I'm playing through on hard for my first playthrough and the game is really not that hard yet (I'm on act 2) but ya you do have to take cover and the gatling guys can be bullet sponges. At least I've never run out of ammo yet.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I finished the campaign last night, it only took me two days. Jesus titty-fucking Christ, that was amazing. It's been a long time since I've had that much fun with a new game, I'm still reeling from it.

+ amazing visuals, not just for the fidelity but the colorful and striking art style as well as the massive sense of scale, it's a sight to behold

+ controls like a dream with KB/M, once you get the hang of sliding and using the leash effectively, you are a goddamn killing machine

+ best gore ever, the enemies screaming and exploding in beautiful ways never got old

+ campaign pacing was excellent, there was never a dull moment, and it never felt as 'on-rails' as something like Call of Duty or Killzone

+ just fucking fantastic in general, it's very polished and all the parts come together as a fucknuts crazy FPS game that has pretty much just ruined every other FPS game for me

- the
killer plant
boss fight was awesome, but why weren't there any other boss fights like that?
The game deserved to end with another boss fight like that, not a QTE sequence

- online anarchy is a lot of fun, but it does feel a little bare bones, and some unique maps for Echo would have been nice

- I appreciate that it didn't take itself seriously, but the profane humor felt forced and most of the jokes feel flat for me

So yeah, I loved it. I'll probably restart the campaign on a harder difficulty and continue playing Anarchy online.

I'd have to give Bulletstorm a perfect 1/1 score.

DUFFMCWALIN said:
I'm playing through on hard for my first playthrough and the game is really not that hard yet (I'm on act 2) but ya you do have to take cover and the gatling guys can be bullet sponges. At least I've never run out of ammo yet.

If you're using bullets on the gatling gunners, you're doing it wrong. Flare them once, step behind them, kick the butt plate off, shoot a flare up their ass. Laugh as the fun and farts ensue.

Kinspiracy said:
If you're using bullets on the gatling gunners, you're doing it wrong. Flare them once, step behind them, kick the butt plate off, shoot a flare up their ass. Laugh as the fun and farts ensue.
Actually I believe you can shoot them in the ass with any weapon to pull that off, it's extremely entertaining either way.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So what's everyone's favorite Anarchy map? Dead Rock (I think that's its name) seems by far the best. That has a little bit of everything, compare to bland ones like the one with the water pillars and the greenish one with the vacuums in the middle (Turbine?). The one with the ground chuck skill shot is also pretty good. Only one I haven't played is the nighttime one with the fountain.

I can't remember some of these names for crap.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AltogetherAndrews said:
Full price is a good price for this!

Yeah, it kind of is. Guess there's no harm in waiting, but Bulletstorm is worth it when factoring in the amount of awesomeness per dollar.

I do hope for a sequel and some DLC support. I'll take some new Echo maps, but what I really want is more Anarchy/online content. With a team that's firing on all cylinders, it hectic and bloody fun. In matchmaking it says something like gametype: anarchy so hopefully that means they plan to add some new modes. I want to keep playing online, but there isn't whole lot to do with it which will probably kill it's long term appeal.

BTW, I could really use some anarchy partners. If you want an experienced bro by your side on GFWL, my gamertag is TigerStyle86. Xbots can also add me if they want someone to compete with on their Echo leaderboards.

Neuromancer said:
Actually I believe you can shoot them in the ass with any weapon to pull that off, it's extremely entertaining either way.

Yep, any type of ammo will work on the last part of it, but I found the flare got the job done a little bit faster...and funnier.

Kinspiracy said:
Yep, any type of ammo will work on the last part of it, but I found the flare got the job done a little bit faster...and funnier.
Haha fair enough.

There was a one day sale on this game a little while back for $40, and it'll probably be that way permenantly soon enough.

I'd say the single player alone is worth it for that. You can't put a price on the extreme amount of fun this game is.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Snuggler said:
- the
killer plant
boss fight was awesome, but why weren't there any other boss fights like that?

Because it took them 7 months to finish it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AltogetherAndrews said:
The creeps have to be some of the most fucked up enemies around. Honestly, the other stuff doesn't have shit on those dudes.

Yeah, they were nasty. I enjoyed turning them into fried mush.

whitehawk

Banned
Part of me wishes there was multiplayer, but I completely understand why there isn't.

Absolutely loved the SP though. I was so happy when I first used the sniper rifle, that thing is so god damn fun. Still haven't beaten the game, have a couple more acts to go.

the game is tons of fun, although I suck so much at aiming, near the end I almost never use my assault rifle and just brute force it with shotguns, thumper and anyother heavy weapon they have.

btw, is leash can only be used to pull stuff toward you? can I do
the thing like in the final qte with serrano, throwing explosive stuff toward enemies and shoot it to explode?

wishlist for BS2

-more environment interaction, preferably using leash in a more interesting way.
-enemies using leash against you, so you can get grabbed, then you have to do some mini qte to escape or something, they could even try to make it as cool boss battle mechanic.
-more tools/equipment like leash. 1st time I got leash I found it to be cool gadget to use and waiting to see another gadget like it but there's none (the remote control stuff is cool though)
-stealth mission. incorporate with some new tools or something, will also create more skillshot possibilities.

there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Frankfurt

Banned
Been playing the demo for over a week now, and i wish i was fully enjoying it.

The whole silly tone and over-the-top violence tickles my 12-year-old-MK-fan side perfectly, i love the graphics, the funny lines... But the actual gameplay is just too twitch-happy for me.

When i do anything over 4 skillshots, i kinda lose myself. It's like when i do 5 or 6 skillshot combos, i'm doing stuff on reflex alone. "Oh, i did this? I... guess that's cool?" It's like playing MVC or Guilty Gear. There's no enjoyment while i'm doing it, only afterwards, when i see the result of my twitch-response combo.

While in Bulletstorm you can kinda "invent" your combo, the feeling of waiting for the result, to me, is the same.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Beat this last night. Loved it! The general character was hilariously depraved.

Only thing i didnt really like about the game was some cutscenes were pre-rendered gameplay using BINK at horrible compression. Even the sound quality dropped a bit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
~Kinggi~ said:
Only thing i didnt really like about the game was some cutscenes were pre-rendered gameplay using BINK at horrible compression. Even the sound quality dropped a bit.

Yeah, the difference between the in-game cutscenes and the pre-rendered cutscenes is jarring. It was the same with Mafia II. It looks stunning in-game but the story cutscenes are super ugly which kinda ruins them for me.

Callibretto said:
-stealth mission. incorporate with some new tools or something, will also create more skillshot possibilities.
1121176_o.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, stealth wouldn't really work with a game like this. It's brazen, loud and over the top. You don't need to sneak when you're insanely over powered Like Grayson Cunt.

If there is a sequel*, I'd like to see a much more fleshed out online mode as well as more flexibility and variety in the skill shots.

* oh god please let there be one, I would buy it TODAY for fucking sure

Top Bottom