• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AltogetherAndrews said:
Bulletstorm basically pokes fun at the whole notion of stealth, so I think we're safe.

Definitely. I mean, you don't open doors, you fucking kick doors off the hinges.

On a similar note, I love how Grayson doesn't push buttons on elevators, he just slams his fist down on the panel.

why the hate with stealth? optional stealth approach like a few moment in Uncharted2 could be great. they'll have chance to be really creative with skill shot and stealth kill, and if you're found out, it will just come back to the awesome BS action.

Tawpgun

I want better movement. Some of the vaults felt sticky. I don't mean to add a jump or anything, just make movement more fluid.

Callibretto said:
why the hate with stealth? optional stealth approach like a few moment in Uncharted2 could be great. they'll have chance to be really creative with skill shot and stealth kill, and if you're found out, it will just come back to the awesome BS action.
Bringing up Uncharted 2 isn't going to help your case I don't think. Not that it's a bad game or anything but it's very different in almost every way and Bulletstorm doesn't need to emulate it.

burgerdog

If DLC or the sequel had stealth, the game would no longer be Bulletstorm. Like a few others have said, in this game you don't simply open doors, you kick them down. Need to hit a switch? Pound the panel with your fist! You guys remember that part where the girl(forgot her name)tells you to create a bridge quietly? I think the entire planet heard what came after. That's Bulletstorm.

Wow, I am loving this game. Made some bad choices with games recently and then started this gem. What a great, pure gaming experience.

The Wanted style sniper is absolutely fantastic - in fact, the majority of weapons are great fun to use and the skill shot system really brings a lot to the way that you approach a gun fight.

We need more games like this. I am glad to see that in a time where developers want to copy the success of COD a team is trying something much different. The results are very refreshing and I will be sure to follow anything this developer moves onto next.

Great job PCF.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Damn I'm pleased I decided to give this game a chance. I'd been looking forward to it for awhile, then tried the demo when it came out and I hated it... ugh. Made an impulse buy when Amazon had their sale since I've been swayed by bad demos before, and wow - what a difference. I picked it up on PC for starters; the improved aiming helped the experience ten fold. Plus the campaign is just over the top fun and non stop kick ass action. I don't know what they were thinking with what they offered up in the demo, but that's just poor compared to the campaign.

Ah well, just very happy with my purchase now. Bulletstorm is all sorts of awesome.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I stayed up until like 4:30 am beating this last night. This is the best FPS I've played in an age. I want to play another FPS but I doubt there's anything quite this fast paced and fun. Maybe I'll play Vanquish.

This game is on sale for $39.99 at Kmart this week. Buy it.

Lambtron said:
I stayed up until like 4:30 am beating this last night. This is the best FPS I've played in an age. I want to play another FPS but I doubt there's anything quite this fast paced and fun. Maybe I'll play Vanquish.

This game is on sale for $39.99 at Kmart this week. Buy it.

Yeah - Vanquish and Bayonetta are the two most recent games, that I can think of, that capture this games intensity and overall fun. Hopefully more developers will view this as a a good design strategy. I am getting burnt out on games that take themselves too seriously and provide shallow unoriginal gameplay.

AltogetherAndrews said:
So where the dick is the second Newsbot in the Collapsed Building?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's a part where you slide down towards the next level. But instead of doing that slide, keep going straight into a little room at the end of the hall.

Arnie

After playing the atrocity that was Killzone 3, it felt good to pick this game up and have pure, fresh shooter experience.

Completed it in a few days and loved every minute, from the well paced and varied Singleplayer to the Skillshot system. I even appreciated the dialogue for what it was, just a ridiculous, over the top representation of the DudeBro. I found the parody and self aware nature of the game hilarious too.

I'd heard a lot about it going in and I differed slightly from some of those opinions. Personally I never got hooked on opening my skillshot menu at every turn and dedicating myself to completing each one, I found it just as enjoyable to happen upon the skillshots rather than hunt for them, as if I did go specifically for them and failed I felt slightly frustrated. Saying this, I did manage to get the 75% achievement so it's not as if I ignored the system, I just preferred to go about it organically and rely on a few of my favourite skillshots most of the time rather than compulsively seeking out new ones.

Just because I've kicked a guy into a spiky plant before doesn't make it any less enjoyable to do it again, or even ten times in a row.

One thing I'd like for a sequel is more interaction with the environment involving the leash. There were times where a specific object would be marked "leash" and it'd be very obvious in the environment. I'd much rather have a full physics system whereby I could pull down corrugated walls to squash opponents or fling around shards of glass and so forth.

Despite this though, I thought it was a marvelous, refreshing game.

Kingpen

finished this last night. Was a great campaign and gorgeous to look at. The skillshots added something to the gameplay and are a great way to entice the player to come back for more (sort of like achievements).

Normally I would play this, and trade it in, but I think I'm going to hang on to this game just for the freshness it brings to FPS. I bought it new for 60 and only played the campaign thus far and it has been more then worth the price.

dankir

I think blowing up Burnouts with the flail gun or bouncer with shit kerploding all over the place and my score going up like crazy is one of the most satisfying thing ever.

The endorphins just flow when I see a lot of enemies grouped together.

BOOM!!!

The drill gun does that for me. Not too hot on the secondary fire function, but drilling through a slew of bastard mutants, and then twisting the last one against the wall for the hell of it... it's a beautiful thing, really.

im only on act 2 and I must say, this game is one hell of a ride. IM really surprised at the story writing to be honest. I expected pure F bombs every second but it is really well written

Yeah, it's an ace production. People want to believe that it's the cussing that is the problem with the writing in games, but obviously it's how you use it, and why. Some writers seem to be of the mindset that including foul language makes the characters tough by default, but that's bullshit. In Bulletstorm and some select few titles, the foul language is just an excellent and perfectly natural quality that these natural badasses have.

Somtaaw said:
Amazing game i just wished the drunk effect would last a entire level.
That would make for a great cheat code, unfortunately this game doesn't seem to have any.

The Lamonster said:
I keep hoping to see a DLC announcement for this game. You'd think it'd be any day now...
They already announced something for the spring:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/67596/bulletstorm-dlc-gun-sonata-announced

Personally though I have no need for more anarchy maps, in fact I'd have preferred a campaign expansion to a couple of new echoes.

I know the two games are like apples and oranges, but I'm considering buying either this or Dead Space 2. I have not played Dead Space 1 or the demo for Dead Space 2, but I've heard so many good things about it that I may just take the plunge.

Can anyone who has played both games give me their impressions? Thanks.

ArjanN

ShortDarkAndUgly said:
I know the two games are like apples and oranges, but I'm considering buying either this or Dead Space 2. I have not played Dead Space 1 or the demo for Dead Space 2, but I've heard so many good things about it that I may just take the plunge.

Both are must play games IMO.

If you do buy Dead Space 2 I'd suggest playing Dead Space 1 first. You'll get much more out of Dead Space 2 that way, and Dead Space 1 is still a great game.

Arjen

ShortDarkAndUgly said:

I loved Bulletstorm, but i've spent more time with Dead Space 2, new game+ makes a new playtrough really great which Bulletstorm lacks.
But if you do go with Dead Space, play the first one first.

Jhoan

I picked up the Epic Edition for 40 bucks earlier from K-Mart along with a points card. I'll be down to play Anarchy mode, but after I play through the game first, so I'll let you all know when I'm done in a future post but if anybody wants to add me, my GT's in my profile. I loved the Echoes demo; it was crazy fun and satisfying so I'm looking forward to the full game. As for early access to the Gears 3 Beta, I guess that's cool, although I barely touched it in Gears 1 and in Gears 2, I for the most part stuck to Horde because it was very intimidating. That said, I will be participating in the Gears 3 beta. Regardless of the fact, Bulletstorm should be as fun as the demo was, if not more fun, so I can't wait to dive in as soon as I get home for a little bit.

RPS37

Hey guys, quick question.
I have this game in my Gamefly Q, but I'm really interested in the Gears3 beta. Would I still be eligible for the beta if I purchased this game from GF? Or should I just run down to Best Buy and pick it up?

MjFrancis

Just started 2-2, and thanks to all the posters who suggested "Very Hard" from the get-go. There's no other way to play this game, I've had very little problems at this difficulty. I'm genuinely surprised at how much fun I'm having with Bulletstorm. I wasn't impressed with the demo, but the campaign has been a blast so far.

I bought this for the Gears of War 3 beta but I'm definitely going to play through this game before I go back to Gears 1 or 2.

Jhoan

MjFrancis said:
Just started 2-2, and thanks to all the posters who suggested "Very Hard" from the get-go. There's no other way to play this game, I've had very little problems at this difficulty. I'm genuinely surprised at how much fun I'm having with Bulletstorm. I wasn't impressed with the demo, but the campaign has been a blast so far.

I bought this for the Gears of War 3 beta but I'm definitely going to play through this game before I go back to Gears 1 or 2.

I'm up to the same Chapter I believe, except I'm playing it on Normal. It's a pretty fun game and
the flashback where Gray and his team are walking down the side of a building, was awesome. It looked an ME2 city. It's too bad they killed innocent people though.
There are a couple of cliché things such as how you get the leash among other things. But other than that, the immature humor is pretty good for the most part, even though I think the jokes try too hard to get a laugh out every now and then.

MjFrancis

I stopped at 5-1 last night, and I'm still enjoying this game immensely. A few odd hiccups on my 360 copy, though:

- I've gotten trapped between the environment and a friendly NPC and had to restart the checkpoint to get out of it.

- Twice more I was stuck on a ledge or environmental hazard unable to move, and I was killed by enemies before I had to restart.

- A Newsbot did not appear in a very specific spot, reappeared once I restarted at the previous checkpoint.

- I think this spoiler is for 2-2:
Waggleton P. Tallylicker couldn't kill two gyrocopters towards the end. Seriously, I spent fifteen minutes shooting at them and nothing was happening. I wondered if they were different from the the previous waves my robot dinosaur friend destroyed. Reload the checkpoint and voila, everything goes without a hitch. Glitched hit detection?

So aside from those technical problems, the game is going great on Very Hard. Beat the
plant boss
in one go, very old school battle. I'm planning on finishing this in the next few nights, using any spare time I could possibly have to complete it.

MysticX

I must say that I haven´t played such a good shooter in ages! Really refreshing and FUN, loved pulling in my victims and kicking them into vertigo, on to the cactus or the spikes, the bombs or whatever! Recommend anyone who wants an action shooter to pick this up.

It looks great to, if you have the (PC) machine for it, I though only had AA at 2 :´(

Can´t wait for the sequel.

Dyno

I finished it last night with a friend and I think by the end we were both a bit glad it was over. The weapons didn't seem to build up much, you just bought a bunch of ammo for them every time you came across a store. By the end we were just maxing out how many leash thumpers we could get and flinging shit up into the air because it was the quickest way to get through things.

As a premise I don't think the leash/kick/weapon play was interesting enough to carry a full-length game. You end up doing the same thing over and over, which makes many of the chapters forgetable.

Don't know what I'm going to do with this one. I feel this game is better than one that I would just play and dump but I'm not sure.

Dyno said:
I finished it last night with a friend and I think by the end we were both a bit glad it was over. The weapons didn't seem to build up much, you just bought a bunch of ammo for them every time you came across a store. By the end we were just maxing out how many leash thumpers we could get and flinging shit up into the air because it was the quickest way to get through things..

I don't get this at all. The weapons combined with environmental hazards offer a good deal of choice in how to clear the field, and the secondary fire functions of most weapons (some more than others) add a shitload of more opportunities. And then there is the leash and the thumper and the carrot of using those together with the primary and secondary functions to make the biggest and baddest combos around.

Then again, if the quickest way through was the main objective for me, then I'd probably be bored too. If the skillshots and large amount of possible murder combos don't appeal to you, then yeah... it would probably drag on.

ArjanN

Dyno said:
I finished it last night with a friend and I think by the end we were both a bit glad it was over. The weapons didn't seem to build up much, you just bought a bunch of ammo for them every time you came across a store. By the end we were just maxing out how many leash thumpers we could get and flinging shit up into the air because it was the quickest way to get through things.

As a premise I don't think the leash/kick/weapon play was interesting enough to carry a full-length game. You end up doing the same thing over and over, which makes many of the chapters forgetable.

This seems like a case of "You're playing it wrong." IMO the way to play this game is to constantly be trying to get new skillshots.

The game is clearly balanced for that too, if you're just playing through it like a regualr shooter, it's laughably easy.

Dyno said:

Congratulations on missing the point of the game.

MjFrancis

Yeah, nearly every time I've died so far was on account of fucking around with a cool skillshot combo I had no business trying to pull off.

Just finished the campaign on hard mode. Really fun game, though there was a bit too much bullshit near the end. -_- There should have been a goddamn jump button, because the game fucking glitched up and wouldn't give me the vault jump prompt during the ending countdown sequence. The most frustrating glitch was when I died in the middle of chapter 6, and it sent me all the way back to beginning of the chapter when I loaded the checkpoint! I had to completely restart the chapter. The plot was generic but the script and voice acting made up for it immensely.

PS3 version, by the way.
MjFrancis said:
Waggleton P. Tallylicker couldn't kill two gyrocopters towards the end. Seriously, I spent fifteen minutes shooting at them and nothing was happening. I wondered if they were different from the the previous waves my robot dinosaur friend destroyed. Reload the checkpoint and voila, everything goes without a hitch. Glitched hit detection?
It happened to me too.

MjFrancis said:
Exact same here. Playing on Normal btw

MjFrancis

ninj4junpei said:
Just finished the campaign on hard mode. Really fun game, though there was a bit too much bullshit near the end. -_- There should have been a goddamn jump button, because the game fucking glitched up and wouldn't give me the vault jump prompt during the ending countdown sequence. The most frustrating glitch was when I died in the middle of chapter 6, and it sent me all the way back to beginning of the chapter when I loaded the checkpoint! I had to completely restart the chapter. The plot was generic but the script and voice acting made up for it immensely.

PS3 version, by the way.

It happened to me too.
Weird, 2-2 is a cross-platform glitch. I also lost the vault jump prompt, in addition to another hard freeze during a failed elevator sequence. I died, and my 360 froze. This has been the most glitchy game that I've been willing to play through in... ever, maybe. Save for a few old PC games, perhaps.

I just finished the campaign on Very Hard tonight. The first half of 7-1 is fucking brutal. There's no bones about it. I felt awesome coming out of it, but the rest of the game felt tame in comparison. I think I died twice after that. It definitely could have been rebalanced - then again, I went into a "fuck this shit, I'm finishing this game tonight" mode. Cut waaaay back on the unnecessary skillshots.

Sequel or not, I'm happy with Bulletstorm. It was good looking the whole way through, and I intend to mop up a few achievements over the next few days or weeks.

Top Bottom