• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3: Takedown video (1:30 minute gameplay)

Looks great, except that I'm worried about those slow-mo crash cuts that look like they might be detrimental to staying focused in a racing game this fast. I hope it's optional...

Vlad

MightyHedgehog said:
Looks great, except that I'm worried about those slow-mo crash cuts that look like they might be detrimental to staying focused in a racing game this fast. I hope it's optional...

I hope so as well. I absolutely loved the second game, and while this one does look good, I can see those camera cuts getting really annoying, especially in a tight race.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, there is a demo floating around in the US now as well (in store, though). Game looks extremely nice and I absolutely love the blur used for areas near your view.

atomsk

Party Pooper
if it somehow makes it into toysrus... i'll never get any work done...

but with my luck, our ps2 will be demoing that stupid eyetoy for eternity

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Looks good... looks really good, I just hope that like in NFS: Hot Pursuit II you could turn off that "spinning cam" that you can turn off that "crash cam" in this one.

FriScho

MightyHedgehog said:

Takedown Cam can be deactivated. Straight from a betatester (no, not me).

-=DoAvl=-

the boosting seems a bit tamer in this one... or did he/she (in the vid) not use it?

my max boost linkage in burnout2 was 13x i think... that was awesome... :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
FriScho said:
Takedown Cam can be deactivated. Straight from a betatester (no, not me).
Who thought it wouldn't be? That'd be pure stupidity on Criterion's part to disable the disabling of the takedown cam. No matter how proud you are of the awesome crashes 10 minutes of that within a race is enough to drive you mad.

dark10x

TekunoRobby said:
Who thought it wouldn't be? That'd be pure stupidity on Criterion's part to disable the disabling of the takedown cam. No matter how proud you are of the awesome crashes 10 minutes of that within a race is enough to drive you mad.

Err, OK...that's pretty obvious and is exactly why you can turn it off. :p

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Can anyone confirm that a local in the US EB has a playable demo in their PS2 of Burnout?

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Of all the games I played at E3, Burnout 3 was by far the most entertaining. I played it every single day and told the guys at Criterion that they should have been selling copies right on the show floor. (obviously wasn't final at that stage, but I would have paid $60 after my first race)

I don't care for racing games that much (aside from GT3), but Burnout 3 will own my living room this winter.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
What are you guys looking forward to more....Burnout 3 or OutRun 2?

Klee....would you buy either those games if none of them supported either progressive scan or 16:9 upport?

Bigfoot

dskillzhtown said:
DAYUM, is Burnout 2 that fun? This looks cool as hell.
Oh yeah... Burnout 2 is my favourite racer this gen, but keep in mind that I don't generally play racers, and I hate boring realistic ones that GT and PGR.

I think the general concensus is that BO2 is the best arcade racer around.

Stryder

August, September, October, and November are going to be suuch good months for gaming

Pikmin 2, Doom 3, HalfLife2, Burnout 3, Halo 2, etc. etc..

The demo of the game rocks btw, my friend decided to write a review on it

it might only contain 1 level, but this small portion of the yet to be
completed game definatley shows off the game's ability and promises that the
final will be something special.

You start off in your american muscle car with 5 other contenders, and it's
all classic burnout, you've got bridges and obsticals and most importantly,
heavy traffic and big-ass turns for drifting and gaining boost. The
trademark silver bus and the truck carrying logs have returned for another
smashing event.

One thing noticibly different between this and it's predecessors is the
amazing crash scenes, and the points/boost system is slightly changed. A new
mode called "take down" where you gain more points/boost by making your
opposition crash, which also diverts momentarily from game-play into a
crash-scene showing your opponent's defeat before allowing you to resume
with more points and an increased boost bar. The more consecutive take
downs, the bigger your boost bar stays on. This replay mode may possibly
become an annoyance later on, and a distraction which may cause many
unnecessary crashes. Hopefully it will be an optional feature.

The graphics are very nice with highly detailed, reflective car models which
disintegrate into a billion peices when you crash. Racing is fast, and there
is a true sensation of speed (unlike cheap blur effect in NFS UG). Overall
it has a solid framerate and everything is very crisp.

There is also a nice effect with the boost bar which is a flame starting out
blue as it builds, then red when it is full. There is also a nice burning
sound effect when it is used.

This is nice for a a PS2 title.

The crashes themselves are spectacular. The car crumpling upon impact,
sparks dancing on the road as metal grinds on tarmac, tyres begin to smoke
as they girp to the road in their halt, wheels flying off in all directions
hitting other vehicles, twisted metal sound-effects and the sound of glass
sprinkling on the road compensate this perfectly.

You are also able to view this tragic replay in slow-mo, where the music
switches to a horror themed soundtrack with the slow, sickening sound of the
car being torn apart and grinding to a halt, giving an overall haunting
effect.

Boost seems a little too easy to come by, but is a major part of the game, I
just hope it doesn't make the overall game a little too easy. I also noticed
the AI has been beefed up with cars trying to slam you into walls or
oncoming traffic.. This may make for an fun but equally frustrating
experience (and the frustration is what drew me to the game in the first
place anyway).

The final release will contain around 60 unlockable vehicles (including
trucks), 30 unlockable tracks from North america, europe and asia, with 18
game modes including Road Rage and Party crash, and up to 6 players online
in full traffic.

The driver was using boost very conservatively. You can use it all up if you want, and gaining more boost as you knock into competitiors. This was the best game at E3, bar-none... I really can't wait to play this game, and it's coming out for both XBox and PS2. Too bad they can't play against each other.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
seismologist said:
It looks like EA is trying to turn this into the SSX of racing games.
Give credit to Criterion for what this game is. They were well on their way with the first two entries in the series and the leap from Burnout 1 to Burnout in terms of technical execution was significant. Criterion had this in them to do. Kudos to EA though for helping them see it through.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Doom_Bringer said:
both version look the same

It's incredible how much difference the TV set can make though.

At E3 I swore that the XBox version looked better but when speaking to Criterion, they claimed they looked nearly identical. Sony musn't have been using Component cables at their stand because the Xbox version looked much crisper and was easier to play because of the enhanced clarity (of the screen apparently, and not the Xbox HW)

dark10x

Datawhore said:
It's incredible how much difference the TV set can make though.

At E3 I swore that the XBox version looked better but when speaking to Criterion, they claimed they looked nearly identical. Sony musn't have been using Component cables at their stand because the Xbox version looked much crisper and was easier to play because of the enhanced clarity (of the screen apparently, and not the Xbox HW)

Well, must have been the difference in TVs because both versions run at 480p, I believe.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
seismologist said:
It looks like EA is trying to turn this into the SSX of racing games.

When EA signed Burnout 3 it already looked spectacular. Apparently the extent of EA's focus is mostly QA, marketing, etc. Criterion did mention that some of the ex-ILM guys at EA have been giving them pointers on how to make some of the crash effects more visually stunning.

DrLazy

Here's my big complaint with the still really fun Burnout 2. I would race really really well, have an awesome 5X boost run, and then on the last lap crash twice and get 2nd. Meanwhile my friend figured this out, and even though he sucked at driving and crashed all the time, he saved a boost for the final run and usually skimmed out a victory.

In other words, I would boost a ton and gain nothing. It doesn't reward you for getting really far ahead of the competition because of rubberband AI. They should fix this in the third one.

Still a great game. I turned down the sound effects and jacked up the music so whenever I'd boost it would slam into the heavy metal. Awesome.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
In other words, I would boost a ton and gain nothing. It doesn't reward you for getting really far ahead of the competition because of rubberband AI. They should fix this in the third one.

With the new focus on the "Takedown" of other players, I would expect the rubberband AI type stuff to be in full swing here way more then BO2. To take them out they have to be next to you right? :)

Yeah rubberband A.I. seems to be in full effect. But to be honest, I don't really care, cause it would extremely boring if you were way ahead or way behind... it's an awesome racer, and it would be perfect it you could pull Rage Racer like powerslides, but that's asking for a lot...

EA's booth had them both platforms side by side, and both versions looked awesome. And they're both running off the Renderwware development platform, so it shouldn't shock you that they do look alike.

dark10x

Burnout 2 is a great game, but I still have yet to find an arcade style racer with handling as nice as Ridge Racer V. Some may hate it (and I know one REAL hater), but damn it, it feels so good. The cars have a much greater sense of weight that is missing in a lot of other similar games and the drifting feels great.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sony musn't have been using Component cables at their stand
I've heard from several people (TTP being one of them) they used some really stupid TVs, with black scanlines so wide that it seemed to poke your eyes out.

dark10x

Marconelly said:
I've heard from several people (TTP being one of them) they used some really stupid TVs, with black scanlines so wide that it seemed to poke your eyes out.

Actually, I'm not suprised...

The vast majority of PS2 games still do not run in 480p. If you sit back, those games look OK when running through a line doubler (in some ways better due to the lack of flickering)...but if you stand up close at a kiosk, you get a face full of pixels. Perhaps those heavily interlaced TVs were used to hide that? In the case of prog-scan supporting titles, however, it obviously hurt the image quality...

MS could toss out whatever they wanted as I'd imagine there wasn't an XBOX game there that didn't support prog-scan.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
dark10x said:
Burnout 2 is a great game, but I still have yet to find an arcade style racer with handling as nice as Ridge Racer V. Some may hate it (and I know one REAL hater), but damn it, it feels so good. The cars have a much greater sense of weight that is missing in a lot of other similar games and the drifting feels great.

This really is the....

P.O.T.Y.

Couldn't of said better Dark.

Top Bottom