• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Crash |OT| Impressions At The End

Toppot

Looks like a nice little arcade-y thing for people to play, there's a good market for this sort of game. Doesn't appeal to me though and probably most burnout fans, cos they really just tacked the name on to increase sales. Nothing Burnout-y about the game, Could of called it Kar Krash for all intensive purposes. I dont think they will trick many people into getting it because it has the Burnout name on it. A screen shot or videos is going to quickly show this ain't no Burnout game.

Only Burnout game I've ever played is Burnout Paradise and I LOVE it, I just want more of that!

Mifune said:
In this thread, graphics are the only thing that matters.

In this post, people not reading why people aren't excited about this. People might enjoy it, I won't. I want the original Crash Mode back and a NON open world Burnout.

My demands may differ from yours but after playing tons of games on handhelds and my phone ... graphics are the very least of my reason why this game looks trash.

But if you read the thread you'd understand that.

Kujo

Wario64 said:
So basically another HD Collection :/
If we're not gonna get another full Burnout, or if we're just going to get stuff like this title, sign me up for a collection plz

If they're worried about sales though, why don't they just call a new one "Need For Speed: Burnout", bam 5 million seller

Aaron

It's amazing how this game looks worse in every video I see it in. As if the developers were leeching away all possible fun until only a joyless husk is left.

Tymerend

I would spend 10 bucks on a standalone crash mode game from Takedown. This... this does not look like it's worth even three dollars. No thank you.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Conceited said:
Watched the QL on this, it looks fucking terrible.
Moar like Burnout Trash, MIRITE?

My problem is that they excised a lot of the physics-based puzzle elements of the original's crash mode and didn't really supplement it with anything particularly interesting. They give you so much assistance that it doesn't really matter where you place your car or how you drive it.

The camera angle could have worked. I would even be willing to forgive the graphics. But they completely gutted the soul of that mode and turned it into something else. Criterion could have made a more varied and cerebral experience and just ended up going full speed in the opposite direction.

flyinpiranha said:
No thanks. I might try the demo but just looking at it doesn't interest me one bit. I'm just here to wonder how they could go from Crash Mode in Burnout to the shit that was "Crash Mode" in Paradise to this.

It's like they're mocking the people that enjoyed the Crash Mode.

You're so right, I love you. My thoughts exactly. Crash mode in Burnout 3 particularly was just total euphoria.

ElRenoRaven

dream said:
Those screens give me bad bad flashbacks to how badly we were burnt by Calling All Cars.

Speak for yourself. I loved Calling all Cars. I still have that on my HDD and play it once in a blue moon.

Ballistik

Hardcore Burnout fan here. I'm checking this out... even if it conflicts with Gears 3. I'm not going in too excited, but still feeling optimistic since it's Criterion.

Momo

Banned
AAA exclusive content
console mover
10 million sold
revolutionizing gaming as we know it.

will not be getting it looks fucking terrible

PsychoRaven said:
Speak for yourself. I loved Calling all Cars. I still have that on my HDD and play it once in a blue moon.

I'm with you. and I'm very puzzled why this game continues to get shit on. Were people expecting god of war?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've loved Burnout's various Crash Modes. Smashing cars in Burnout is mind-bend fun and a great addition to those games. The Crash Junctions being my favourite.

This. I want nothing to do with this. Putrid art direction and isometric view point. I'll download the trial. I would really love to be wrong and if it blows me away they can take my monies. I doubt it.

Been waiting for a new Burnout for ages now - I can't imagine how the Burnout fans that didn't like Paradise feel, and things like this really feel like a slap in the face.

Might be great as a Facebook app, not a Burnout game.

FJ0372

This looks terrible. Why won't Criterion just get on with making Burnout Paradise 2, don't they want my money?

My roommate and I were shopping around Gamestop looking for a good PS3 game to play. We saw a copy of Burnout Paradise, and instantly, memories came back of playing it on the PS2 and having a blast. So we picked it up and were about to buy it...until we say the back of the box.

Multiplayer online. No local. -_-

If they can come out with a Burnout with local mp, I will buy it. Until then...

PaulLFC

Going to download the trial now and try it for myself, but I don't hold out much hope. I read an interview in GamesTM, I think it was the issue before the latest one, with one of the devs working on this. From what I remember, the entirety of his answers seemed to have a theme of "yes we know people like "proper" Burnout but this is DIFFERENT and AWESOME and it's AMAZING you can do ALL THESE THINGS"... just seemed like he was desperately trying to justify the game - possibly to himself as much as gamers.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
lupinko said:
Jaffe called, he wants to call his cars back.

lol good one, although I still don't understand all the hate, it's not like this was made instead of the next big Burnout title and is all this negative feed back from people that have played the game?

edit -

It seems some of it is, that's a shame, I thought it could be fun :-(

lgaQD.jpg

Agent X

I tried the demo for a few minutes. My first impression was...uh, well, it was OK. Your car drives up the road automatically, you steer into an opposing car, and then crash. After that, you ignite your Crashbreaker and try to catch other cars in your explosion and/or use the force of the explosion to influence them in the direction of other cars or roadside obstacle. It's simple, but still somewhat fun at the core.

The graphics really aren't anything special. I know it's an overhead view game, and it's suppose to have a bit of a stylized look to it, but even with that in mind it's still rather plain looking. It's really surprising coming from Criterion, who have demonstrated their graphical prowess many times in the past.

The sound, though, is absolutely a hoot. There are lots of funny voice samples and sound effects, along with cute but appropriate musical cues. Again, being a Criterion game, you'd expect the visuals to take center stage, but it's the audio that manages to surprise here.

I noticed I my score of a little over $14,000,000 just edged out that of a friend who was playing the demo at the same time. About a minute later, the Autolog refreshed, and I noticed he had now topped my score.

So, I tried a second time, and reclaimed my spot the top of the scoreboard.

Then I noticed that he beat it again. Naturally, this inspired me to put in a third attempt--and finally the gameplay clicked with me, as I was figuring out more ways of racking up points. With a score of over $44,000,000, I was now over double his score.

Now that I understand how the game works, I'm kind of tempted to get it! I just wish they gave you more than just one scenario to play in the demo. If they had at least one or two more levels to show off the variety, then I could really get a better idea of if it's worth my money.

It only plays somewhat loosely like the Crash modes in previous Burnout games, and the concept is actually kind of ridiculous. If you go in with the mindset of expecting a true Burnout sequel, then you will be hugely disappointed. However, if you look at it as some strange yet silly skill-based puzzle game that happens to use cars and the name "Burnout" in the title, then you just might have a good time with it.

Adam J.

Tried the demo--really cute little action-puzzle arcade game. I was actually having a really hard time getting a good score going too, so I either really suck at games, of there is a bit of challenge to be found in Crash.

I'll pick this up in the future for sure.

Watching the hate machine some people are riding with Criterion is some of the funniest shit I've seen in ages.

I've doubted them repeatedly over the years now, and time and time again I was wrong. I thought I would hate Burnout Takedown because I loved the previous game and didn't want "combat" in my racing game. Then I remember hearing about the open world in Paradise, and again I thought they screwed up, and I generally don't enjoy open world games. I was wrong. Every time I was wrong.

It's time for people to swallow their pride and have an open mind. I think Criterion are one of the more brilliant developers on the planet right now. The first time I saw Burnout Crash I thought the same thing as everyone else here, WTF? But you know what, I bet I'm wrong, again.

Downloading the demo as I type this.

Top Bottom