• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Crash |OT| Impressions At The End

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just tried it and beat the level with the maximum five stars. I really don't like this game at all. It's not fun nor rewarding to cause pileups, especially since the cars disappear after a few seconds. Ugh.

I gave that demo level several tries. This game has a lot of personality, and being a fan of arcade score chasing I can already feel myself getting addicted. The voiceovers are kind of hilarious too.

To my surprise I earned this crazy tornado power up that tore up the entire intersection. Big score multiplier when you get that baby. :)

legbone

just gave the psn demo a try. i like it. i can see myself getting very addicted due to the "one more time" nature of the gameplay. combine this with autolog and lots of unlockables and i'm in. oh, and the music is amazing. i'm a sucker for a game with great music. since there is no plus discount i am going to wait until tomorrow and pick it up on live.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bloodrage said:
Did Criterion really develop this? It's really, really bad.
I'm also surprised at how poor this game is. From the demo, it feels like there's zero skill involved.

chubigans said:
I'm also surprised at how poor this game is. From the demo, it feels like there's zero skill involved.
Give it another shot. There is definitely strategy about keeping your car in the right place to block others, and when to detonate, and using your detonation to score the most points.

People need to take a deep breath, realize this isn't a Burnout game, this isn't even a crash game in the exact same vein as Burnout Revenge. It's simply an arcadey shoot off from that concept, and it costs $10.

legbone

this is a puzzle game pure and simple. it could have came out without the burnout name and got by just fine. something like destruction junction. ok, maybe not that shitty but you know what i mean. anyway, this is a nice little puzzle game. there is definitely some strategy needed to get the highest scores. it's basically risk vs. reward. i can't wait to start unlocking shit and trying to get 5 stars on all levels.

Whiny reviewers already blaming the game for the 5 strikes mode instead of their lack of skill or understanding of risk/reward design.

JBKapnMorg

Neo Member
If they had included a feature where you could change camera views like any driving game, I would definitely consider getting it, but in my opinion it looks too much like something that would have the Simpsons brand on it.

Gaspode_T

I've actually never played a Burnout game so I have no weird expectations but the talk of being like a puzzle game has my interest...

Bebpo

Banned
The game is fairly good like most of Criterion's car-related work. The gameplay is very reminicent of Crash mode and much better than BP's joke of a crash mode. There is always tons of hectic stuff going on to keep it interesting and to get the high scores it takes some good planning and a bit of luck. Has that "just one more time" feel to it that Crash mode had in Revenge.

Sure the announcer is annoying and there's maybe a little too much randomness to it and the game is pretty damn hard if you're going for all 270 stars. But it keeps you playing and keeps you having fun. For $10 I'm happy with it.

Oh yeah and the autolog stuff will be great once people start playing it.

Take an element fans really liked and use it to wipe your backside...

Burnout 2 crash mode >>>>> All EA nonsensical bonus item crap on the road aftertouch detonate crash modes.

And indeed Paradise City crash mode... what were they thinking.

I was about to try out the demo, but then I saw the download is over 1 GB. WTF?? Unbelievable size for those kind of graphics. What a joke.

eek5

Wow it's pretty bad. I've played 80 ms point indie games with more substance and better looking than this.

mik said:
And rather Facebooky, if you will.
Yeah it feels like a 1gig, $10 flash game.

C_H_T

Installing the demo now...

Edit: Just played the 1st level, the game is better than expected. But, still not worth the 10 bucks IMO. Will wait when is down to $5.
Btw, just saw Seacrest as a playable level, isn't this from NFS: HP (2010)?

bryehn

Played a few rounds, I like it for the most part aside from the loud/obnoxious sound design and the leaderboards are only for friends.

bryehn said:
Played a few rounds, I like it for the most part aside from the loud/obnoxious sound design and the leaderboards are only for friends.
Full leaderboards don't unlock when you pay? I tried the demo and just assumed that was locked out in the demo or something.

I actually had fun with the one time through the level and almost bought it right there but I'm getting a bit low on points and want to sleep on it before spending them. I'll be fairly bummed out if the leaderboards are friends only. I don't expect many people on my friends list to snap this one up so that'd suck.

Duallusion

Well... I like it. I enjoy the mechanics of it, they're more complex then so-called "proper" Burnout crash modes of old.

I just wish fire and explosions were better, and had nice particle effects. Wouldn't mind a different art style altogether, in fact. I don't mind the 2D view, though; it suits the game.

Hoffer

Neo Member
I thought the game looked good in Giant Bomb's quick look. I downloaded it this morning and will definitely give it a shot. It does seem to be getting less than stellar reviews.

This thread is like an exact replica of the threads for Criterion's previous two games. Both Burnout Paradise and NFS: Hot Pursuit had severely negative reactions in their respective threads upon the release of the demo.

Over time many people reported back to the threads with more positive impressions, with some even acknowledging they had it all wrong. I'm betting on it happening again with this game. ;)

boingball

cjelly said:
This game fucking sucks. An embarrassment, even.

I'm sure it was originally meant to be a 99c iPhone game.

I am pretty sure it will come out as a 99c iPhone game.

Nonetheless I bought it after playing the demo. It has that 'just one more try' feel to it.

Though I wish Criterion would bring Burnout 2's crash mode at some point. That was the best (imo better than the Crash mode in 3, in 3 it was pretty clear on how to get the high score, go for the multipliers, in 2 you really had to experiment around).

BruiserBear said:
This thread is like an exact replica of the threads for Criterion's previous two games. Both Burnout Paradise and NFS: Hot Pursuit had severely negative reactions in their respective threads upon the release of the demo.

Over time many people reported back to the threads with more positive impressions, with some even acknowledging they had it all wrong. I'm betting on it happening again with this game. ;)

yeah, I'm wondering if this is because the game is actually bad or if it's just that an arcade style game like this is really unacceptable these days? honest question.

boingball said:
I am pretty sure it will come out as a 99c iPhone game.

Nonetheless I bought it after playing the demo. It has that 'just one more try' feel to it.

Though I wish Criterion would bring Burnout 2's crash mode at some point. That was the best (imo better than the Crash mode in 3, in 3 it was pretty clear on how to get the high score, go for the multipliers, in 2 you really had to experiment around).
Yes. The purity of Burnout 2's crash mode is unparalleled. You have an intersection, you have traffic, you just have to drive and, with a combination of luck and skill, hope for the best. Having to aim for multipliers and other chotchkes is just a distraction from what made crash mode fun (for me).

I played this for like two hours this morning and my wife had to tear me off the PS3 to get me to go to work. It's super-fun arcade style high scoring and I think it works perfectly. Sometimes I wonder why I pay attention to the Internet. I'd pay $30 to get this on 3DS so I could play it on the go.

Neuromancer said:
Yes. The purity of Burnout 2's crash mode is unparalleled. You have an intersection, you have traffic, you just have to drive and, with a combination of luck and skill, hope for the best. Having to aim for multipliers and other chotchkes is just a distraction from what made crash mode fun (for me).
Nothing compares to finally tipping over that ONE bus that bumps your score up to a gold medal. God that mode was amazing.

El Pescado said:
I played this for like two hours this morning and my wife had to tear me off the PS3 to get me to go to work. It's super-fun arcade style high scoring and I think it works perfectly. Sometimes I wonder why I pay attention to the Internet. I'd pay $30 to get this on 3DS so I could play it on the go.
Wait a month or two and pay $5 or less on your iPad.

ampere

iBAZA.jpg

BruiserBear said:

Not me, I said Paradise sucked and I wasn't going to buy it until they added in a retry option. Devs fought it but then finally gave in and added it in a patch... then I bought the game.

Top Bottom