• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Ballot Propositions - Fall 2012 Election Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Probably not. But I'd rather vote for an A+ law than a C+ law.

Just don't vote on it, then. A 'no' vote will be interpreted as support for the status quo.

My sister had been a teacher in The long beach unified school district for ten years and got laid off two years ago. She has had temporary contracts since but gets laid off every summer again with no benefits or guarantee for work. Its pretty ridiculous that even after a decade in service in a single district your job as a teacher isn't secure. Definitely voting yes on 30. Both of my sisters are teachers and the amount of stuff they need to pay for out of pocket and the size of their classes really doesn't make their jobs any easier. Education is far too important to keep getting cut.

I'm interested in hearing anyone's rationale against Prop. 30.

The state legislature has lacked the balls to enact serious budgetary reform for several decades running. These tax hikes gives them the slack necessary to continue being stupid about the budget. I refuse to make their jobs easier.

thirty

Banned
how the hell could ANYONE say yes to 30? this state has some of the greatest companies, amusement parks, hollywood and tourist attractions and we are broke? stop throwing money away and get your budgets together assholes. this state is a fucking wreck.

Folks, make sure you look at the list of donors before you vote.

Like the GMO prop?

Why are the food companies spending millions to keep customers in the dark?

Im 100% ok with GMO....but whats the harm in a damn label? Since when is transperancy a bad thing?

Vote yes.

And folks, always vote yes on taxes.

The state is packed with ignorant voters like this

how the hell could ANYONE say yes to 30? this state has some of the greatest companies, amusement parks, hollywood and tourist attractions and we are broke? stop throwing money away and get your budgets together assholes. this state is a fucking wreck.

And those of us who are informed need to counter it.

Let me guess, this poster is unaware that taxes actually dropped during the recession due to republican obstructionism?

pigeon

Banned

I am amazed pretty much every time by how accurate the admins are at matching tags to posters.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

In no small part because of tax cuts.

Cyan

Banned
Those looking to vote note on Prop. 30 might want to check out The Economist link I posted earlier.

You guys can vote how you wish, of course, and I don't pretend to know how much anyone's looked into all the various issues here, but it's always curious to me when people bemoan how screwed up California is and then seem to take actions that only seem make the situation worse. I'm interested in hearing anyone's rationale against Prop. 30.

I think there's a certain amount of Norquistian general anti-tax sentiment, where you vote down any tax increase no matter what the situation is and how much it's needed. Then there's the "the politicians screwed it all up and now they want me to fix it?" mentality, which is understandable if maybe a touch unfair. And then there's the view that the real problem is spending, and if we let Sacramento fix the current difficulties via raising taxes, they'll never learn to stop spending. Which sort of ignores that a large part of our spending problem is our direct democracy system.

Edit:
And in the time it took me to post, we got several examples. :p

thirty

Banned
I am amazed pretty much every time by how accurate the admins are at matching tags to posters.

what other state has companies like apple, yahoo, disney, millions of people already being taxed up the ass and is still broke? come on.

pigeon

Banned
I think there's a certain amount of Norquistian general anti-tax sentiment, where you vote down any tax increase no matter what the situation is and how much it's needed. Then there's the "the politicians screwed it all up and now they want me to fix it?" mentality, which is understandable if maybe a touch unfair. And then there's the view that the real problem is spending, and if we let Sacramento fix the current difficulties via raising taxes, they'll never learn to stop spending. Which sort of ignores that a large part of our spending problem is our direct democracy system.

Honestly, it's constantly baffling to me how often I hear "and the state can't touch the money from this proposition!" Well, what if I want them to? That's why I elected them, to make decisions about budgets. The primary reason California has budgetary problems is a proposition.

Zhengi

Those looking to vote note on Prop. 30 might want to check out The Economist link I posted earlier.

You guys can vote how you wish, of course, and I don't pretend to know how much anyone's looked into all the various issues here, but it's always curious to me when people bemoan how screwed up California is and then seem to take actions that only seem make the situation worse. I'm interested in hearing anyone's rationale against Prop. 30.

Because higher taxes isn't going to solve the unemployment rate that is above 10% at the moment. California has enough tax revenue coming in, and the state continues to spend like crazy. They have enough money.

For the 2012-2013 state budget, they had tax revenues of roughly $91,337,850 come into their general fund. In 2011-2012, they had tax revenues of $85,936,859 come into the general fund. This is not including all the bonds that California is giving out.

Education doesn't have to be cut, but that is exactly where Democrats are putting their cuts because they know voters care about education. If Democrats cared at all about education, they would fund that first with the additional money they've received and ask for money for the other areas that they want to spend. Since they want to politicize education, I say to heck with them.

Edit: And some sources to look at:

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/Enacted/agencies.html

http://2011-12.archives.ebudget.ca.gov/Enacted/agencies.html

Cyan

Banned
Folks, make sure you look at the list of donors before you vote.

Like the GMO prop?

Why are the food companies spending millions to keep customers in the dark?
Probably because it'll cost them additional money and possibly feed into future scares.

There's absolutely value in looking at the list of donors, but be wary of falling into an argumentum ad hitlerum.

Honestly, it's constantly baffling to me how often I hear "and the state can't touch the money from this proposition!" Well, what if I want them to? That's why I elected them, to make decisions about budgets. The primary reason California has budgetary problems is a proposition.

Exactly this. They can't cut large swathes of spending because of ballot-box budgeting, and they can't increase taxes because of Prop 13's two-thirds requirement. Which is why a sensible tax compromise is on the ballot rather than passed through the legislature.

As a curious outsider: Has there ever been an initiative to get rid of initiatives? (Or at least increase the number of signatures needed to get an initiative on the ballot?)

Because this shit is bananas.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Definite NO on 30.

It seems like every election cycle we get a proposition about "more taxes to fund our dying schools!" and they're always supported by the teachers union.

Fuck them. School districts like the LAUSD are a giant black hole for money and deserve absolutely nothing. Inner city schools have failed and will continue to fail for a millennia no matter how much money is thrown at them for a wide variety of reasons.

The cut funds to community colleges is a damn shame, but I can't support these Prop because it goes to the black hole of funds known as the LAUSD.

No on 37 is being funded by Monsanto. Fuck them, so I'm voting yes.

Did not know that, No on 37 it is.

Vesmir

Banned
The law essentially moves marketshare around. Billionaires fighting with billionaires over marketshare, taking a shit in California law along the way. I can't suffer that.

Being a billionaire isn't bad. Being a billionaire corporation that fucks over nations and domestic people is.

As a curious outsider: Has there ever been an initiative to get rid of initiatives? (Or at least increase the number of signatures needed to get an initiative on the ballot?)

Because this shit is bananas.

One could only imagine the pitch for such an initiative a signature-gatherer would give at the farmer's market.

Being a billionaire isn't bad. Being a billionaire corporation that fucks over nations and domestic people is.

So why is the Calfornia dairy industry exempt from the labeling act? Because their angelic behavior deserves the reward?

Cyan

Banned
It seems like every election cycle we get a proposition about "more taxes to fund our dying schools!" and they're always supported by the teachers union.

Fuck them. School districts like the LAUSD are a giant black hole for money and deserve absolutely nothing. Inner city schools have failed and will continue to fail for a millennia no matter how much money is thrown at them for a wide variety of reasons.

You're confusing 30 and 38.

Did not know that, No on 37 it is.

Or, maybe you aren't. :/

"He disagrees with me and therefore he's ignorant" is not exactly powerful rhetoric. Thanks for play.

False

The statement is ignorant and also happens to disagree with me.

Hes opposing taxes because OMG TAXES EVIL and backing it up with very poor logic, and ignores the fact that in 2010, the state sales tax was cut at the worst time possible.

One could only imagine the pitch for such an initiative a signature-gatherer would give at the farmer's market.

Would the only way to reform the system be through a ballot initiative?

I would think that if there were a legislative method to fix it, it would have been attempted already. Logically, I would assume that legislators probably hate having to legislate around these initiative-imposed laws.

GlassBox

Banned
California is run by corrupt politicians, so I'm voting no on any tax increase and likely no on most of these ballot measures.

I'm not saying 37 is perfect. It's flawed. But some legislation is better than none.

My chief concerns are the ramifications for small growers in california that use GMO crops. They face a dire choice if the predictions that extra labels = customers that run away come true. Either they go out of business or get consolidated into a larger body of farms that distributes the cost of compliance. Neither outcome appeals to me.

Personal hatred for Monsanto doesn't mean I just blindly vote against their interests because nothing exists in a vacuum.

Cyan

Banned
California is run by corrupt politicians, so I'm voting no on any tax increase and likely no on most of these ballot measures.

As I said earlier, I think 36 and 40 should really be automatic Yeses whatever your party affiliation. You might take a look and see what you think.

t26

I'm extremely suspicious of the motives behind 35 - is human trafficking a huge problem here ? I'm particularly concerned about the "sex offenders give their online identities to police" part. I already think the definition of "sex offender" is too malleable and don't much care for the idea that you're out of prison but still paying forever, even for relatively minor "sex crimes" like having consensual sex with a girl who is only slightly underage. I'm also extremely suspicious of an outright ballot initiative to increase criminal sanctions. I don't think that's something the general electorate should have a vote on.

Human trafficking is a huge problem in the bay area

TAJ

I'm not sure if you even know what a ballot measure is.

As I said earlier, I think 36 and 40 should really be automatic Yeses whatever your party affiliation. You might take a look and see what you think.

They should be selling 36 as a spending cut, lol.

My chief concerns are the ramifications for small growers in california that use GMO crops. They face a dire choice if the predictions that extra labels = customers that run away come true. Either they go out of business or get consolidated into a larger body of farms that distributes the cost of compliance. Neither outcome appeals to me.

Personal hatred for Monsanto doesn't mean I just blindly vote against their interests because nothing exists in a vacuum.

Those are the only outcomes?

I can think of a few more:

98% of customers dont give a shit, and continue purchasing the same products
The grower can move to non-GMO products

I have no problem with GMO food, but transparent information is essentially.

These people are basically arguing against nutritional labels. "But what if people stop buying my 2,000 calorie cookies!" then maybe you should use light butter in your recipe instead.

Zhengi

In no small part because of tax cuts.

There were no tax cuts. This is a bunch of lies.

In fact, Arnold Schwarzenegger passed a budget in 2008 that INCREASED taxes for 2 years. Then, they put up Proposition 1A to get the voters to extend those taxes for 2 additional years for a max of 4 years of increased taxes. The voters killed this proposition and the taxes went back to the pre-increase amount after the initial 2 years. Stop lying that there were tax cuts because there weren't. It's as difficult to get tax cuts as it is to get tax increases in this state.

Macam

Banned
Because higher taxes isn't going to solve the unemployment rate that is above 10% at the moment. California has enough tax revenue coming in, and the state continues to spend like crazy. They have enough money.

I don't see taxes and unemployment being inherently tied together, short of in those areas where budget cuts are directly tied to employment cuts, such as those we saw nationwide in a large number of states in response to the fall in revenues in response to the recession. The failure of Prop. 30 imposes further cuts on education, and to the degree that those cuts are directly to employment, that's not going to help the unemployment figures either. It also doesn't do any favors to education statewide, which has already seen some substantially large cuts.

For the 2012-2013 state budget, they had tax revenues of roughly $91,337,850 come into their general fund. In 2011-2012, they had tax revenues of $85,936,859 come into the general fund. This is not including all the bonds that California is giving out.

Edit: And some sources to look at:

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/Enacted/agencies.html

http://2011-12.archives.ebudget.ca.gov/Enacted/agencies.html

That's a breakdown of spending, but it doesn't provide larger context, such as what spending may be required by law or what the tradeoffs are here (spending $2.5m on the University of California doesn't exactly denote whether that's a cut, an increase, etc.). Revenues have improved as growth prospects have and the worst of the recession fades, but that's expected. That doesn't necessarily mean revenues are adequate.

Education doesn't have to be cut, but that is exactly where Democrats are putting their cuts because they know voters care about education. If Democrats cared at all about education, they would fund that first with the additional money they've received and ask for money for the other areas that they want to spend. Since they want to politicize education, I say to heck with them.

Perhaps. I would venture that things aren't quite that simple and that there are likely obligations beyond education that may have to come first. Frankly, I don't take much stock in that argument, especially given the ideological rigidity of the opposition.

Those are the only outcomes?

I can think of a few more:

98% of customers dont give a shit, and continue purchasing the same products
The grower can move to non-GMO products

I have no problem with GMO food, but transparent information is essentially.

These people are basically arguing against nutritional labels. "But what if people stop buying my 2,000 calorie cookies!" then maybe you should use light butter in your recipe instead.

What are you carrying on about? I'm saying the possibility of the aforementioned outcome gives me pause. Enough to vote No. "The grower can move to non-GMO products" projects an unknown financial impact on a lot of small in-state growers and the supply chain they form. The estimates from either side of the campaign are so far apart it's hilarious. Nobody is telling the truth. When this happens, I'd rather have the status quo.

I'm leaning on no on all 3 of them.

Why are you leaning against extending (not increasing, just extending) the transit one?

The only reason it even has to be done is because of the republican house

In fact, Arnold Schwarzenegger passed a budget in 2008 that INCREASED taxes for 2 years. Then, they put up Proposition 1A to get the voters to extend those taxes for 2 additional years for a max of 4 years of increased taxes. The voters killed this proposition and the taxes went back to the pre-increase amount after the initial 2 years. Stop lying that there were tax cuts because there weren't. It's as difficult to get tax cuts as it is to get tax increases in this state.

Taxes went down in 2010. Thats a cut.

What are you carrying on about? I'm saying the possibility of the aforementioned outcome gives me pause. Enough to vote No. "The grower can move to non-GMO products" projects an unknown financial impact on a lot of small in-state growers and the supply chain they form. The estimates from either side of the campaign are so far apart it's hilarious. Nobody is telling the truth. When this happens, I'd rather have the status quo.

Its not the small in state growers that are funding it, its Nabisco etc.

TAJ

The sales tax was lowered during that time. It seems silly to frame the issue in terms of the last two years, anyway Tax cuts from the '70s are still haunting us.
And who cares about the difference between a "tax cut" and letting tax increases lapse? It's all the same to the treasury.

Cyan

Banned
Only in the same sense that letting the Bush cuts expire would be a tax increase.

Its not the small in state growers that are funding it, its Nabisco etc.
I wouldn't expect small in-state growers to be able to fund it enough to even show up as backers. Though I have no idea if they are or not.

Zhengi

I don't see taxes and unemployment being inherently tied together, short of in those areas where budget cuts are directly tied to employment cuts, such as those we saw nationwide in a large number of states in response to the fall in revenues in response to the recession. The failure of Prop. 30 imposes further cuts on education, and to the degree that those cuts are directly to employment, that's not going to help the unemployment figures either. It also doesn't do any favors to education statewide, which has already seen some substantially large cuts.

Taxes and unemployment are certainly tied together. Along with stringent regulation and high taxes, it affects businesses that have gone out of the state or change their decision to come in state to form their own businesses. Without businesses, it is harder to lower the unemployment rate as it is more expensive for businesses to come to California.

That's a breakdown of spending, but it doesn't provide larger context, such as what spending may be required by law or what the tradeoffs are here (spending $2.5m on the University of California doesn't exactly denote whether that's a cut, an increase, etc.). Revenues have improved as growth prospects have and the worst of the recession fades, but that's expected. That doesn't necessarily mean revenues are adequate.

Click on the items and you'll see more detail information on what is being spent on. There was an increase of $6 billion in the general funds from 2011 to 2012 budget. In fact, K-12 schools received $3 billion of that extra revenue, so how is K-12 education getting a cut? Again, those are lies that are being thrown out there.

The item that did get cut in relation to education is higher education where about $800 million was cut. Now was that done when there is an extra $3 billion in tax revenues in the general fund? Why not give that $3 billion to higher education? This goes back to the next point you replied to:

Perhaps. I would venture that things aren't quite that simple and that there are likely obligations beyond education that may have to come first. Frankly, I don't take much stock in that argument, especially given the ideological rigidity of the opposition.

The only obligations that is required of the legislatures is to provide 39% of the budget towards education as mandated in Prop 98. Everything else is whatever the legislatures want to spend on. They could spend more of that money on education if they wanted to, and the fact that the voters of California had to mandate them to spend at least 39% shows how politicians would rather not fund education if they did not have to.

Zhengi

The sales tax was lowered during that time. Someone just mentioned it. And it seems silly to frame the issue in terms of the last two years. Tax cuts from the '70s are still haunting us.

The sales tax was lowered because that was a part of Proposition 1A, which I just posted above. The sales tax was raised 1 percent. Since Prop 1A was not extended, the sales tax went back down in 2010. That is not a tax cut.

TAJ

The sales tax was lowered because that was a part of Proposition 1A, which I just posted above. The sales tax was raised 1 percent. Since Prop 1A was not extended, the sales tax went back down in 2010. That is not a tax cut.

Semantics. We still voted to be taxed less.

Zhengi

Why are you leaning against extending (not increasing, just extending) the transit one?

The only reason it even has to be done is because of the republican house

The city of LA hasn't really put that money to good use.

That is definitely not a cut. If taxes weren't raised and there was a cut, then I would agree with you. Having a tax increase expire and return back to normal tax levels is not a cut. What exactly got cut?

Semantics. We still voted to be taxed less.

It's not semantics. It's you not understanding the concept of what a cut actually is.

For example, if the tax rate was 8%, and then it was cut to 7%, then you are right, that is a tax cut. But if the tax rate goes up to 9%, and it expires and goes back to 8%, what was actually cut? You're still earning the same amount of tax revenue before the increase in taxes. There was no cut.

TAJ

It's not semantics. It's you not understanding the concept of what a cut actually is.

For example, if the tax rate was 8%, and then it was cut to 7%, then you are right, that is a tax cut. But if the tax rate goes up to 9%, and it expires and goes back to 8%, what was actually cut? You're still earning the same amount of tax revenue before the increase in taxes. There was no cut.

You might have had a point if there was no vote on extending it.

Yeah, because these mean something. No matter what the voters chose, if its something the courts don't like they'll find some nut that'll come along and sue, then the court will dictate whatever it wants.

TAJ

Yeah, because these mean something. No matter what the voters chose, if its something the courts don't like they'll find some nut that'll come along and sue, then the court will dictate whatever it wants.

Nice not-so-stealth Prop 8 support.

Aren't there major tax loopholes and kickbacks given to the large corporations (including the technology sector)? And that's not even counting for the 1% property tax BS. Doesn't sound right.

I will vote yes on 30. The state does need to take a long hard look at the budget but I hope the cuts don't come to education and medical (medicaid/medi-cal) expenses. So for that reason alone I will support prop 30. Prop 38 seems rather drastic. I would support it if it included community colleges and universities.... but it isn't so it's a no from me.

Prop 37 gets a yes from me. I want information transparency. Yes I understand it could be better but it would be much much better than the no information we have now. And the death penalty one gets a NO from me.

The rest I haven't decided on. I need to do more research.

To everyone who is opposed to 30, below is the graph representing per student expenditures at the UC over the past 20 years:

budget_graph_03.jpg

It isn't an issue of us being 'over funded' and 'mismanaging' the money, it's an issue of the state GUTTING education. They've crusaded to cut the fat (to pay for tax cuts), but have cut out the fat, the muscle, and are now at the bone.

If you want the state to thrive you need to fund education. The UC is a pact to residents that those who want to and who try are entitled to pursue a world class education without breaking the bank. Unfortunately, that agreement has been breaking down and the students have to shoulder more of a burden. All that a NO on 30 will do is a) reduce the level of service, b) reduce the quality, and c) reduce the availability of education.

Nert

37: Yes. I'm not fully convinced of the safety of GMO foods, and wary of the intense opposition to 37 by food conglomerates. In either case, I think that stronger labeling requirements are basically always correct.

I can understand where you're coming from on this specific issue, but I would disagree with the bolded statement. There are many cases where adopting additional labeling standards can be costly, confusing and discriminatory. One case that I'm very familiar with is the recent country of origin labeling dispute involving meat traded between NAFTA members. The Congressional Research Service has written a lengthy report on the matter and I'll highlight this section:

Costs and Benefits

COOL supporters argued that numerous studies show that consumers want country-of-origin labeling and would pay extra for it. Analysis accompanying USDA’s interim and final rules concluded that, while benefits are difficult to quantify, it appears they will be small and will accrue mainly to consumers who desire such information. A Colorado State University economist suggested that consumers might be willing to pay a premium for “COOL meat” from the United States, but only if they perceive U.S. meat to be safer and of higher quality than foreign meat. USDA earlier had estimated that purchases of (i.e., demand for) covered commodities would have to increase by 1% to 5% for benefits to cover COOL costs, but added that such increases were not anticipated. Data from several economic studies that aimed to model COOL impacts appear to fall within this range.

Critics of mandatory COOL argued that large compliance costs will more than offset any
consumer benefits. USDA’s analysis of its final rule estimates first-year implementation costs to be approximately $2.6 billion for those affected. Of the total, each commodity producer would bear an average estimated cost of $370, intermediary firms (such as wholesalers or processors) $48,219 each, and retailers $254,685 each. The USDA analysis also includes estimates of record keeping costs and of food sector economic losses due to the rule.

If I understand it correctly, the labeling introduced by Prop 37 doesn't discriminate by country (so it likely wont cause trouble with the WTO), but I'm not sure if I see much value in the label itself. Is there a significant health risk to inherent to GMOs that isn't accounted for with existing regulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom