• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Blarg's presumed role actually isn't that powerful as long as the only information he received was before the game started. It certainly sounds like this is a new one for Gafia but it doesn't sound OP in the grand scope of things. I suspect that Blarg, who is known for providing information behind riddles and confusion, was the one to happen to randomly get this early information which is why I'd like to bring up a counter possibility.

Someone has a role that allows them to choose someone else to receive certain information. If that person is town, it would be hard to know who to trust this early on so why not choose to have information go to Blarg who was obviously going to play games with the info.

That's a very interesting theory as to why Blarg has so much information. We really need to see how he plays out, though for myself I'm not sure it'll every be fruitful just because of his delivery method. Information is only as good as the message it's delivered within and it sounds like that played a strong part in him not being successful in a prior game. I'm still willing to see where he goes with whatever information or ability he has.

Though I don't know if I agree with a town picking Blarg for trust reasons. Disseminating information through confusion and riddles is possibly the worst thing you could do to help your own cause.

Sorian

Banned
I don't think Coppa is suggesting Blarg is a cultist but a third party. Think about it, he could have been provided with information he can use to gain our trust and drive us towards whatever win condition he has. I find his post containing "instructions" on what night actions to to use and on whom very suspicious in that sense.

His status as a "discussion-driver" also makes me think we shouldn't lynch him today. Speaking of which, he's painted such a large target on his back I find it unlikely the mafia won't kill him. I agree a vote was unnecessary though. What is he going to do in response, reveal his role?

Blarg won't protect himself at all, he already did that. He also already knows that he is a huge night kill target, that's why he made that long post calling anyone who goes for a night kill on him an absolute coward. It's a strong play towards other people's pride, we'll see if it matters much though.

And I agree that Blarg makes more sense as a third party but I feel its way too early in the game to put that onto the table seriously. Day 1 is when we need to pretend its just tourist vs. cult. We need to lynch someone and the real two options are to kill a cultist or kill a tourist who has proved to be useless. The benefit of killing a useless tourist is that a cult player could be hiding as a useless tourist and the drawback to trying to target a cultist is odds are, we will be wrong.

Sorian

Banned
As mentioned at the end of the last page, its also possible Blarg is immune or difficult to kill during night phase. I don't think that's true personally but time will tell on that one.

Fireblend

Banned
Day 1 is when we need to pretend its just tourist vs. cult. We need to lynch someone and the real two options are to kill a cultist or kill a tourist who has proved to be useless. The benefit of killing a useless tourist is that a cult player could be hiding as a useless tourist and the drawback to trying to target a cultist is odds are, we will be wrong.

I agree. I was just calling you out on the fact that you were retaliating against the wrong argument, since Coppa said nothing about Blarg being a cultist.

Guys I am really sorry about the inactive / replacement situation. But I still have to wait for some players to respond before I can move ahead.

I may have to extend the night phase to fix all this.

No need to apologize, it's not like you forced people to be inactive.

...but can they?

Based on his last major post, it sounded like he expects someone will try to kill. If he can't be killed and thinks someone might try, why would he ask to be swapped with Sorian?

Something came up in my personal life yesterday that will cause me to be inactive for the next couple days. I've notified Zatoth and in the case that I don't come back by the beginning of the next day phase (if I'm not dead, of course), then I've requested to be replaced. Sorry about this.

Hopefully nothing serious and you can make it back! All the best.

Fireblend

Banned
Something came up in my personal life yesterday that will cause me to be inactive for the next couple days. I've notified Zatoth and in the case that I don't come back by the beginning of the next day phase (if I'm not dead, of course), then I've requested to be replaced. Sorry about this.

Aw man, I was really looking forward to your next post, since you'd teased us about some question you had for Zatoth.

Real life comes first though. Here's hoping you'll be back before a replacement needs to be sought out :)

Sorian

Banned
I agree. I was just calling you out on the fact that you were retaliating against the wrong argument, since Coppa said nothing about Blarg being a cultist.

Actually, I started up front by saying that I knew his reasoning was specifically to tie the top vote spot but then I wanted to appeal to reason why he shouldn't hold onto that vote once we are actually in a reasonable timeframe where votes matter. The fact that I don't think Blarg is a cultist is my own commentary on the situation.

Based on his last major post, it sounded like he expects someone will try to kill. If he can't be killed and thinks someone might try, why would he ask to be swapped with Sorian?

The answer to that question is simple, isn't it? If he has purposely painted himself as a good night target then I would die instead. I just don't know what is gained in that scenario. But let's look at it in terms of when Blarg made that post. At the time, he was not a good night but I've always been a probable kill for the cultists since we've started the game. Some will argue that the cult should take out a quiet townie early on to leave us with little information but silencing a loud townie can send a strong message too.

If that's the case then Blarg is trying to protect me from a kill action (especially if he does have night immunity of some sort).

Option 3 is that I was chosen at random as was the swap power request but that seems unlike since I was involved in the same line as Blarg and requesting yourself to be switched can only lead to trouble.

In all 3 of those scenarios, my life isn't actually in Blarg's hands but in one scenario it seems like he might be protecting me. I don't know why he feels I'm important so I doubt it but I'll take helps from powers regardless.

Fireblend

Banned
In all 3 of those scenarios, my life isn't actually in Blarg's hands but in one scenario it seems like he might be protecting me. I don't know why he feels I'm important so I doubt it but I'll take helps from powers regardless.

What if he requested to swap with you because he is a third party with useful information but a different win condition? If you're a tourist which most people think you are, he gets to be a tourist after the swap, keeps his useful information, gains our trust with it and gets us to eventually lynch you to eliminate a third party with no-longer-useful info.

Just a thought.

Sorian

Banned
What if he requested to swap with you because he is a third party with useful information but a different win condition? If you're a tourist which most people think you are, he gets to be a tourist after the swap, keeps his useful information, gains our trust with it and gets us to eventually lynch you to eliminate a third party with no-longer-useful info.

Just a thought.

I asked this earlier so I'm going off of that answer but swap in this game isn't like swapping in ONUW. In ONUW, it was a swap of your roles and that was permanent. In this type of mafia with multiple days, a night time swap just means that anything that would have happened to me will happen to blarg instead and vice-versa. Just for that one night only.

Fireblend

Banned
Ah, hmm. I guess if that's what he meant by "swap" my theory goes out the window then :p that's on me for not reading that mafia wiki page thoroughly enough.

Works both ways.

True. However, 50/50 odds on that working out aren't good. But, I'm not a gambling man, so I could be wrong.

The answer to that question is simple, isn't it? If he has purposely painted himself as a good night target then I would die instead. I just don't know what is gained in that scenario. But let's look at it in terms of when Blarg made that post. At the time, he was not a good night but I've always been a probable kill for the cultists since we've started the game. Some will argue that the cult should take out a quiet townie early on to leave us with little information but silencing a loud townie can send a strong message too.

I think everyone can agree that the loudest person with a tourist leaning alignment would be the obvious choice. I don't know how much I want to speculate on the type of move the Cultists want to make for fear that we explore an option they haven't discussed.

Darryl

Banned
Darryl's item seemed to go both ways for me. As everyone has said, it's a bold play because so much can go wrong if no one else corroborates the existence of it. The flip side to that is it could simply be a distraction we're to focus on. Give us very minimal information, requires us to wait to confirm its existence and could conveniently kill someone that "uses" it.

As an aside It's worth pointing out that in Darryl's first post about the item he only lists the night eviction block and then goes on to say he hopes no one ever uses it on him.

I think the bandwagons might prove helpful in the later days and they served their purpose of getting people to talk. I quite literally powered through the whole thread this afternoon, so I did have to go back and read through the posts surrounding the bandwagons and found two things of interest. 1) Everyone was expected to justify their votes.. except this one and 2) when asked why you shouldn't be suspected is "because someone else is" an acceptable reply?

Heading to bed! Look forward to getting some info based on what I've posted in the morning.

My vote was already justified. I didn't need a monologue. I was complaining about how I was starting to become frustrated about inactive posters. Read the thread. That included you.

I'd just like to mention; don't forget about the others. I know I've possessed a lot of mindshare and from my brash actions, rightfully so, but I'm only one shrimp cocktail off a platter of twenty-three...

Oh, and while we're at it:

VOTE: blargonaut

I'm not fully convinced you're town-aligned. I don't necessarily think you're a cultist at this point, but I'm not convinced you're not a possible third-party.

I'm very much up for switching my vote to someone else if someone can make a reasonable case for them, but at the same time I'm fully willing to tie this so I don't lose a majority vote at this point.

At the moment, I understand. Since we've voted for each other, if you wish to arrange a mutual backing-off, just say so.

That's a very interesting theory as to why Blarg has so much information. We really need to see how he plays out, though for myself I'm not sure it'll every be fruitful just because of his delivery method. Information is only as good as the message it's delivered within and it sounds like that played a strong part in him not being successful in a prior game. I'm still willing to see where he goes with whatever information or ability he has.

Though I don't know if I agree with a town picking Blarg for trust reasons. Disseminating information through confusion and riddles is possibly the worst thing you could do to help your own cause.

I've learned to wrap our provisions more delicately now, I don't want you all to starve due to poor packaging...

I've made sure that everyone has equal opportunity to become one of my fingers, totes your choice.

...I worked in the galley you know, the restaurant was an entirely professional atmosphere, and we always washed our hands before and after handling uncooked meats.

Don't mind us, real life takes priority! Hope everything turns out all right :eek:

Timeaisis

He'd be taking the hit for Sorian. Like, if Sorian gets targeted but was swapped with Blarg, blarg would get targeted instead but would be immune so nothing would happen. Which is a win-win for town.

Of course, the problem with his plan is that he announced it to everyone (including the cultists). That's the part I find damn confusing. He didn't conceal it in a puzzle or anything. He was just so upfront about it.

Coppanuva

At the moment, I understand. Since we've voted for each other, if you wish to arrange a mutual backing-off, just say so.

I'm ok with that. My goal with that move isn't to get you evicted, since I don't think you getting lynched in the first day is a smart move in the long-term. However, I know I am a villager and letting someone I know is a villager get lynched in the first night isn't an ideal move either. If we both renege on our votes we'll be in the stalemate I want to be in, so I'll gladly take your deal.

Unvote: Blargonaut

Darryl

Banned

Then you're just wasting our time by filling the thread with more useless fucking spam text. Like we aren't all bring crushed by its unbearable weight as it is. You're intentionally dragging it on by being daft. I don't need to justify shit that is justified. Go find scum.

I'm ok with that. My goal with that move isn't to get you evicted, since I don't think you getting lynched in the first day is a smart move in the long-term. However, I know I am a villager and letting someone I know is a villager get lynched in the first night isn't an ideal move either. If we both renege on our votes we'll be in the stalemate I want to be in, so I'll gladly take your deal.

Unvote: Blargonaut

UNVOTE: Coppanuva

Pleasure doing business ;)

Sorian

Banned
He'd be taking the hit for Sorian. Like, if Sorian gets targeted but was swapped with Blarg, blarg would get targeted instead but would be immune so nothing would happen. Which is a win-win for town.

Of course, the problem with his plan is that he announced it to everyone (including the cultists). That's the part I find damn confusing. He didn't conceal it in a puzzle or anything. He was just so upfront about it.

He had to announce it to the swapper as well. I don't think he has any way of knowing if the swapper could solve a puzzle though. I'm still not sure if this was his plan or if we are reading this right and us dragging it out in the open may have been counter-productive but a smart swapper might keep Blarg in mind for future endeavors.

Sorian

Banned
Then you're just wasting our time by filling the thread with more useless fucking spam text. Like we aren't all bring crushed by its unbearable weight as it is. You're intentionally dragging it on by being daft. I don't need to justify shit that is justified. Go find scum.

I must be your least favorite person in the world.

t1438974000z0.png

There's only one day left. I know we've four missing but where the hell is rest of the crew?

Sound your butts off.

Oh, and while we're at it:

VOTE: blargonaut

I'm not fully convinced you're town-aligned. I don't necessarily think you're a cultist at this point, but I'm not convinced you're not a possible third-party.

I'm very much up for switching my vote to someone else if someone can make a reasonable case for them, but at the same time I'm fully willing to tie this so I don't lose a majority vote at this point.

If you need someone to vote for, I have an idea.

That goes for everyone. Prodigy only seems interested in contributing to this game insofar as it involves saving his own ass. I'm still not convinced he's a Cultist, but I'm still not convinced anyone's a Cultist. Everybody else has at least done something to add to the conversation. Prodigy has exhibited explicitly suspicious behavior and he's an easy loss for the Tourists, besides.

Vote Prodigy For Day One Lynch

As to Blarg, I have questions, but I'm strongly leaning toward him being pro-Tourist. I'm happy to take a wait-and-see approach on this whole thing, since we have a few days before scum hunting becomes a truly pressing issue.

I'm typing up my reads right now in between other things, so I should have them within... four to five hours?

Varying levels of detail. They're mostly based off of skimming and intuition as opposed to 'in post x you said y', so a lot of this is impressionistic, but at the Day 1 stage going post-by-post for however many people has a disproportionate cost to benefit ratio, and you're not going to be 'catching people out'. It's more about who seems to be least beneficial to / hindering town's best interests.

RetroMG

By and large, my opinions haven't changed since my big post yesterday. I agree with Rats that Lone_Prodigy is the best option.

I'll drop my vote here in case I get busy. (Wife is on vacation from work for the next few days, so I might be preoccupied.) I'll try to keep an eye on the thread, though, and adjust my vote if something else that is solid comes up.

Vote: Lone_Prodigy

Seems a decent amount of players went inactive and that's bad to hear Droplet, but it kinda makes sense. Hope it all gets sorted out though and you return.

We've got 23 hours left should we come to a conclusion on a vote this final day or just leave it as whatever we go with in the remaining time?

I mean... Should all players come to a conclusive vote by the end of today or should it just be left for them to naturally decide or not?

Sorian

Banned
I mean... Should all players come to a conclusive vote by the end of today or should it just be left for them to naturally decide or not?

As we get closer to the time for day 1 to end, more people are going to post their justifications on who we should vote for and why. The conversation will pick up so tomorrow (US time) I get the feeling we will have a lot more discussion rolling into the time for the vote to complete. We all aren't going to agree though. I urge everyone to cast a vote of some sort and I know a lot of people will start to bandwagon near the end of voting so that they feel like their vote counted (most people don't like being the one vote on a dark horse when everyone else is deciding between 2 or 3 people). It creates good conversation though and voting habits seem like they could be a good way to figure someone out later.

Looks like Rats is committed to voting for me so I'm not going to try to change his mind. RetroMG seems to have conveniently bandwagoned before going away so he come back and say "I was going to unvote but I was busy and couldn't in time".

My thoughts from my last post haven't changed. ultron87 is still kind of iffy though his vote on Lord of Castamere is interesting. I've been skimming most of Blarg's posts since they're all over the place but LoC seems to have attached himself to the puzzles as his way of contributing.

And of course everyone will post to defend themselves. Isn't that how we've been getting activity out of people?

Sorian

Banned
Good. We need to get the thread back on track. We have an audience now, and time is ticking down.

Anyone else could feel free to say something interesting too btw >_> I'm only stalling at this point because I know I won't be able to order all of my thoughts while at work.

Darryl

Banned
Vote:Droplet

Sorry for whatever is going on Droplet. I had suspicions of you being mafia to begin with. This just seems like a better way to end this than you being replaced tbh.

Fireblend

Banned
I have three "Day 1 lynch" potential targets and they're LoneProdigy, OceanicAir and Tucah. Here's my notes on them:

Lone_Prodigy: 8 posts. Easy choice. He's been inactive and reactionary. He's taken accusations too seriously and that has only helped him sink further and made himself look like he's on the defensive. That doesn't really apply to these last 2 votes though, since now that the end of the day approaches, they're definitely becoming something you want to avoid. Still, that it took him ~5 posts to justify his initial Necro vote and people haven't forgot makes him look really bad. I didn't like one bit of that last post either - throwing the towel about Rats and throwing a random accusation at Retro.

OceanicAir: 5 posts. Maybe a target for replacement? Anti-Blarg, anti-Sorian and anti-Darryl early on, though presumably he has experience from past games. He pretty much ignored early votes against him, which I think is the correct thing to do, and kept punching the air in their general direction. I'd really like to know if he's one of the targets for replacement, it'd be a shame if he was because I think his experience makes him a good asset. That's why I think I'd give him the edge over Lone_Prodigy, hoping he becomes more involved. If he doesn't I think he'd be a good day 2 target though.

Tucah: 6 posts. None of them say much at all, he might as well not have posted at all =/ Has he been in previous games? Also potentially a target for replacement? I'd like it if Zatoth came forward with who he's looking into replacing. He mentioned having suspicions and looking into some people but never came forward with anything. Between him and LP... a toss up really.

TL;DR: I feel that since Tucah and OceanicAir might be eventually replaced, Lone_Prodigy is the only real safe choice. I'd like some clarification on Zatoth's part about whether any of those is up for replacement.

I'll have to think about Darryl's Droplet vote. Darryl, do you think this would yield more information than going after an inactive? Don't we risk the game going stale if we kill someone that's been at least engaging with us? I'd like you to elaborate on your suspicions.

For now though,

VOTE: OceanicAir

Just in hopes he'll wake up.

Sorian

Banned
I'd like some clarification on Zatoth's part about whether any of those is up for replacement.

I was wondering if this information would be allowed to be shared. I get the feeling the vote is going to be based inactivity and it would probably be useful to know if that inactivity is based on an issue that is already going to get that player subbed from the game. I understand that's probably a touchy subject to request from the game runner because it might be divulging too much but I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring on that question too and see how it goes.

Not... n-not 'Fourth Wall Banishment'... not the Time Cube!

It is corrupting you, it only seeks to return to its master! You cannot hope to control the extent of its powers!

Darryl, cast it into the sea!

Destroy it!

RetroMG

Scrolled back up to the top of this page. OrangeYouGlad is banned.

Man, we are dropping like flies.

To clarify my previous message, I will still be playing through the rest of the day phase, just not watching the thread as much or commenting as often. If someone has a compelling reason to vote for someone other than L_P, I'm confident that I'll catch it before the actual end of the day.

Top Bottom