• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

You know what, I refuse to let today go to waste

nin1000 can die today or tomorrow, we know everything there is to know about whether lynching him is a good idea or not. We don't need to kill him right now

Sorry nin if you get cult recruited in the meantime, you're screwed anyway

Let's get hunting

Because I don't think given a choice, the killer would actually go after nin, unless they were that afraid he would manage to guess them. We'd also have had a better chance of hitting the killer today if they weren't able to hide behind the fact that we're inevitably going to kill nin. Now we can only speculate, but whoever's left has no pressure on them. We're effectively being forced to cut our own ranks, and we probably won't get any new information off of it.

Anyway, whatever, that's neither here nor there. I don't really know what to do for the rest of the day, so somebody can think of something.

And yes, we have our own forum to talk in. No, it probably wouldn't hurt for book holders to reveal themselves, since they didn't target me last night.

I agree with you

We can't let this day go to waste.Tomorrow we will surely have less power roles than we do today

We need people arguing over suspects and having to justify themselves

To start

VOTE: RetroMG

I don't like this idea of not divulging anything. If you have information to give, give it. It's the 6th day, you should at least be able to give us something

RetroMG

You know, if Hyper is right about there only being one scum left, and if we could identify him/her, then we could potentially cut off the head and not have to lynch Nin tonight.

It would be a huuuuge risk, probably not one worth taking, but putting it out there.

Droplet

You know, if Hyper is right about there only being one scum left, and if we could identify him/her, then we could potentially cut off the head and not have to lynch Nin tonight.

It would be a huuuuge risk, probably not one worth taking, but putting it out there.

We only have 9 people left, it's not as bad a risk as you might think.

Let's hunt us some scum.

nin is a known entity.

Team 800 Feet.

I just don't want to waste today lynching someone whose a known lynch quantity. Leave him for tomorrow.

By tomorrow, 1-2 of our power roles will be dead, thanks to my gambit.

Mafia games work around the idea of people looking at someone, lynching one of them, and then the next day people using what happened yesterday and the days before and what sorts of arguments were provided to notice shifty behavior.

We've suffered greatly from a lack of this. Day 1 can be brushed off as a day 1 bandwagon.

Day 2 any scum could hide in or out the blargonaut train.

Day 3 was the same

Day 4 and 5 were different, but the first didn't give us too much on the 2nd threat and the 2nd ended with an ordinary tourist dead. Some people bandwagoned onto it. The reason I'm not really implicating myself with hopping on that train is that I gave my reasons as to why I was hopping on that train. It would be interesting to go through and see who all voted for Flame AC, last minute or not, and what their reasons were.

But my point is that we've had too many days where we went after any obvious target and the next day had nothing to go on. We started fresh each time with no leads

We can't have more days like that

RetroMG

VOTE: RetroMG

I don't like this idea of not divulging anything. If you have information to give, give it. It's the 6th day, you should at least be able to give us something

I know exactly what the rest of the players know. My role is passive, and does not give me any knowledge that the rest of you have not already received.

I've actually given out enough information for a clever player to guess my role. I put in one small fib, (depending on point of view) but I am absolutely town.

Seriously, me revealing my role is a bad idea.

UNVOTE

Fine, I'll leave you alone for now

Hey, current book holder, you guys can reveal yourselves now and tell us if Droplet and ROTY are lying or not!

Btw nin, if you think you're going to get recruited and you try to block one of us, I, and hopefully the others, will assume you've been recruited and kill you right then and there

RetroMG

There are so many unknowns. Can the cult still recruit? How do they do it, by a kill? CAN Nin die via cult? Has anyone been recruited?

There are so many unknowns. Can the cult still recruit? How do they do it, by a kill? CAN Nin die via cult? Has anyone been recruited?

None of the cult of cthulhu role PMs mentioned recruiting, so I would guess this 2nd cult is designed around that.

If nin is insane and recruitable, I really think we at most have one, because of Sorian's probable cultishness/insanity

3 CoC
2-3 insane
1-2 2nd Cult

I somehow doubt that there is a possible total of 8 hostile players in this game

I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if nin is lying somehow, but he's lynch meat for tomorrow (we can only delay his death for so long, you guys better kill him the next day or else we run into scary numbers)

Assuming 1 lynch per day and night

Day 6: 9 players
Day 7: 7 players
Day 8: 5 players

I would say kill nin day 7, day 8 if there is some crazy lead

Day 8 is way to close tbh, just in case there are 2 alive cult members besides nin. Prepare for the worst scenario here

Any closer and you run the very high probability of a cult victory

RetroMG

Oh, and if Rats used the book last night, what the hell is going on with Scrafty? If she is insane, how did that happen?

RetroMG

She had an accent in ONUW too (I would somewhat expect you to remember ;P)

A different one though

And she sometimes forgets to use it

I'm aware, but that is not what this is. I'm positive. Look at her posts. I read them as ultra-polite, very intelligent. (Look at the vocabulary) It is the polar opposite to the Akane persona she's worn all game. I've noticed her slip off the accent under pressure. That's not what is happening.

She's wearing a new accent, it's just not as obvious.

Droplet

I'm saying that it doesn't mean anything towards whether she's insane or not

I guess, it's just...kinda weird. I was kind of expecting her to...you know, not switch it up in the middle of the game. And like I said, I don't think insane people can say they're insane, which is part of the reason why I keep second guessing myself.

Wait

Someone show the difference to me, I'm sort of seeing this mid game switch but not entirely

I didn't get what you guys were saying, I thought you just meant you thought she was insane because she had the accent

RetroMG

Wait

Someone show the difference to me, I'm sort of seeing this mid game switch but not entirely

I didn't get what you guys were saying, I thought you just meant you thought she was insane because she had the accent

I said that early on as a joke. I'm on mobile and about to head to my in-laws so I can't be detailed right now.

Good morning, everyone. I trust everyone slept well last night?

Regarding the unfortunate passing of Mr. Ultron last night, I have a theory that may end up being quite prescient. While it's now apparent to us that the deceased deceived us about his role in order to secure the element of surprise on a prospective target, it's possible that whoever offed him was paranoid that he still had more kill moves left and thus moved to eliminate their potential assailant posthaste. Was there anyone who seemed to get aggressive after the departed revealed his role? If I were the killer, I would have attempted to raise dissent about Mr. Ultron's role, in order to get him either to divulge the truth or even start a lynch to get rid of the problem while keeping the night kill for someone else.

Also, do we know who, if anyone, was turned insane on the second or third days? It would be rather beneficial if we could establish a pattern for this kind of thing.

For fucks sake I see it. This isn't even her reverting back to a normal voice, she explicitly has an accent

I need to go see when she started this

Droplet

Scrafty breaks character:

What makes me suspicious again? That I don't throw around baseless accusations and prefer to operate under the influence of logic rather than gut feelings? Or simply that I have the tendency to pontificate and attempt to act more flamboyently than the majority of the individuals entangled in this mystery?

Simply put, voting for me gives the third party another night to kill uninhibited and if you truly do believe that I am "wishy-washy" and don't take a solid stance on anything, then what will my death accomplish when I inevitably and invariably flip town? You shall learn nothing, and be in an even worse position tomorrow until you've run down every name on your scum-hunting list and burn this island to the ground in search of a killer who only gets stronger for every night you spend faffing about. I do not fear death, my friends, but I do however fear what will become of my death. Do you really want another Coppa incident on your hands?

Ahem...

All I'm sayin' izzat you won't learn nothin' from my death. I've never had the book, I have no special powers, and I haven't been fraternizin' with any 'spicious folks since I got here. Plus, who'll be around to lighten th' mood when I'm gone? A clown's death is extra tragic, and I'm as close to Pagliacci as we've got.

Scrafty acts like a pretentious English academic:

Good morning, everyone. I trust everyone slept well last night?

Regarding the unfortunate passing of Mr. Ultron last night, I have a theory that may end up being quite prescient. While it's now apparent to us that the deceased deceived us about his role in order to secure the element of surprise on a prospective target, it's possible that whoever offed him was paranoid that he still had more kill moves left and thus moved to eliminate their potential assailant posthaste. Was there anyone who seemed to get aggressive after the departed revealed his role? If I were the killer, I would have attempted to raise dissent about Mr. Ultron's role, in order to get him either to divulge the truth or even start a lynch to get rid of the problem while keeping the night kill for someone else.

Fair point, but remember that Cthulhu was blocked that night. If anyone was acting funny like you are now, it must have been because of this ancillary cult.

She didn't even use the word ancillary correctly.

Droplet

This is a rather unexpected turn of events. It does seem rather odd that Flame has to commit to a protection before the day phase even begins; seems like a very easy way to accidentally vindicate a vivacious villain considering the rather stochastic nature of the day-to-day proceedings. That is a lot of power to thrust upon one man, and could have catastrophic repurcussions if mismanaged.

I'd personally like to hear what Ms. Droplet thinks about this situation as she seems to be one of the more rational and analytical tourists left alive. Obviously we won't be able to hear from honourary mayor Mr. Rats before the deadline as he is previously engaged

Actually, nevermind, she switched accents yesterday. Forget this.

I found it

And it hapened in the middle of the day....?

I've had nothin' but the town's best interests in mind. It's just... I don't wanna accept that one'a youse guys is scum, cuz you all seem like pretty damn fine folks in my book and it always breaks my heart t' see someone who didn't deserve it get th' axe.

It's in yer best interests to keep me around though, if only cuz you'd be throwin' your vote in th' trash by lynchin' me. If I absolutely had to vote for someone t'day I'd say that our best bet would be eitha nin or Edgy. The forma cuz we'd be able to establish once and fer all the patterns of the book and hopefully glean some more information, and the latter cuz he seems to get awfully trigger-happy, especially in regards to information that's been common knownledge for a long time.

I guess this is one'a those "damned if ya do, damned if ya don't" situations cuz while I'm very hesitant to lynch someone I don't think is cult, I also don't wanna waste my only power as townsperson. Eitha way, I think tonight will be critical in terms'a findin' out information so we all need t' be extra vigilant. I'll post a full list of my reads of everyone left sometime tomorrow, and I promise I'll be more active after that.

OOC: The real reason I've been so quiet lately:

mgs_11.gif

Scrafty yesterday'

What makes me suspicious again? That I don't throw around baseless accusations and prefer to operate under the influence of logic rather than gut feelings? Or simply that I have the tendency to pontificate and attempt to act more flamboyently than the majority of the individuals entangled in this mystery?

Simply put, voting for me gives the third party another night to kill uninhibited and if you truly do believe that I am "wishy-washy" and don't take a solid stance on anything, then what will my death accomplish when I inevitably and invariably flip town? You shall learn nothing, and be in an even worse position tomorrow until you've run down every name on your scum-hunting list and burn this island to the ground in search of a killer who only gets stronger for every night you spend faffing about. I do not fear death, my friends, but I do however fear what will become of my death. Do you really want another Coppa incident on your hands?

Ahem...

All I'm sayin' izzat you won't learn nothin' from my death. I've never had the book, I have no special powers, and I haven't been fraternizin' with any 'spicious folks since I got here. Plus, who'll be around to lighten th' mood when I'm gone? A clown's death is extra tragic, and I'm as close to Pagliacci as we've got.

Scrafty yesterday going back and forth between new and old accent. This is the first we see of her new one

I dunno what else t' say. I've got no role to barter with and I'm not gonna beg for my life so I guess you can either trust that I'm tellin' th' truth or wait and find out for yourself.

All I can do is give you my word and promise I'll be more active and analytical if I live to see tomorrow. T' be entirely honest, my "votes" t'day were born of pressure rather than logic, but I really don't have a solid case against anyone else right now. T'day's just been one cluster-cuss after another for me.

Well, I s'pose even the best poker player has to go all in on a crappy hand sometimes. Nothin' personal, Flame, but it's you or me and I sure as hell know I ain't a baddie.

VOTE: Flame_AC

Back to her old accent

Very well. I'll give Flame the benefit of the doubt and abstain from voting today. My life isn't worth a role that useful, no matter how much I may try and kid myself.

UNVOTE: Flame_AC

Do what you will.

Just promise me you'll learn something from my demise. You won't get any new information from my role or affiliations, so the least you can do is not make this same mistake again.

Paranoia is a dangerous force. It dulls the wit, clouds the mind and blackens the heart. The only way this town will achieve victory is by overcoming it, and moving forward into the future like an arrow of light piercing through the darkness.
This is a rather unexpected turn of events. It does seem rather odd that Flame has to commit to a protection before the day phase even begins; seems like a very easy way to accidentally vindicate a vivacious villain considering the rather stochastic nature of the day-to-day proceedings. That is a lot of power to thrust upon one man, and could have catastrophic repurcussions if mismanaged.

I'd personally like to hear what Ms. Droplet thinks about this situation as she seems to be one of the more rational and analytical tourists left alive. Obviously we won't be able to hear from honourary mayor Mr. Rats before the deadline as he is previously engaged

Speak of the devil.
If only for ceremony:

VOTE: Flame_AC

Back to the new academic

I half want to call this ScraftyDevil just wanting to switch it up, given that it was in the middle of the day, in which case she CAN confirm because it's not related to insanity. (hint hint)

But you guys do have a very good point

Everyone who is not insane, respond to this by telling us explicitly that you're not insane

Of course, this isn't foolproof, but we can start off this way

I guess, it's just...kinda weird. I was kind of expecting her to...you know, not switch it up in the middle of the game. And like I said, I don't think insane people can say they're insane, which is part of the reason why I keep second guessing myself.

I'm not insane, if that's what you're worried about. I simply saw no reason to keep up the act after I was forced to drop it under the pressure of yesterday. I had hoped that the populace would no longer suspect me after what transpired, but just in case there are still lingering doubts, I assure you that everything I do is in the best interest of the town.

With that said, I believe that it'd be in our best interest to ignore Mr. Nin for the day and investigate someone else. Perhaps needling Mr. Charleston or Mr. QuickKnives would provide us with some new information, or at least a new perspective. Mr. Nin aside, we have precious little information for today and so should spend the day's hunt scrying.

I really wish ether of them will show up. I will leave it to time differences for now, it has only been 5 hours, but we've been fairly lenient about letting inactives remain inactive (talking more about jqk here), and while I really don't want to "waste" a day lynching one, it may just be a good use of today. Scum could be trying to lay low and hope we continue to ignore inactives, complaining about them as best

RetroMG

I actually was about to throw out this mad theory that Scrafty ACTUALLY has been insane the entire game, but has gone back to "normal" now that Rats has caught the crazy.

Which... I suppose is still possible. Scrafty only says she's not insane now.

I think I'm overthinking this. Going to go have dinner instead.

I will say TWE has been unusually aggressive towards nin1000 for the past couple of days

It may just be part of a ploy, because I remember nin being a likely subject for a lynch as far back as day 3. He of course has reason for his suspicion, but he might just have something to share

Like maybe nin has already been recruited, and because the cult thinks he'll being dying soon (which he will be), and have considered it for a couple days now, they've been acting suspicious of nin and going after him

This makes me look like the biggest hypocrite ever

Anyways, to make it official

VOTE: TheWorthyEdge

You got any reasons for being so suspicious of and aggressive towards nin these past couple of days?

Why would you ask that?

I'm the only sane one left.

Stop staring at me.

Got it

nin1000,

Wait, no, he said he was insane

Let's try again

Everybody who is not insane tell us explicitly you are not insane

I am not insane. I'm fairly certain some others are. I also know that a couple other people aren't

Btw, I think I'm going to roll with the possibility nin was already recruited

Which would mean two scum, in which case Great Charleston's claim of not possibly being scum due to being banned over the last night phase don't necessarily fly. We can't exclude him based off of that

What's our next plan of action, then? Should we go after a less-vocal contributors or peek more deeply into the book and its society of readers?

I want to go after TheWorthyEdge first. He's been very very very aggressive towards nin1000, and if they're both scum, this could be an ideal way for him to prove his innocence.

Nin1000, after all, was looking like the 2nd most likey person to get lynched back during day 3, and there was a bandwagon on him during day 4

Top Bottom