• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

beerbelly

Banned
I am really liking the gun play in MP and getting use to it now. I much prefer that enemies can die in a few shots to the body rather than hundreds like in Halo's.

JB1981 said:
Dark has gone mad. Game looks about a thousand times better than R:FOM.

Honestly if this looks so much better than R:FOM then R:FOM will probably look like turd to me. I'm with Darkx that the textures are really bad but because there's so much on screen you kind of ignore it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
Dark has gone mad. Game looks about a thousand times better than R:FOM.
I just can't agree.

R:FOM is clearly pushing FAR more geometry and similar resolution textures. The lighting is a bit better in CoD4, but the game really feels very flat in comparison.

I still think GRAW looks better than both of them, however.

Y2Kev said:
I kind of agree with dark. The textures are weak if you get up close. But the game does a lot with particle effects. I guess Marco was right calling it the MGS2 of the next gen. Still, it looks great.

MP > SP by a fair bit though.

Well good thing it's not just textures that make a game good looking then. It's not like more detailed textures in Area 51 on PS2 made it better looking than MGS2. When you need to break it all down individually with different aspects of different games for a less impressive comparative...then well...that speaks well of IW really really knowing how to balance what it wanted in the big picture, the most important aspect of visual presence.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Well good thing it's not just textures that make a game good looking then. It's not like more detailed textures in Area 51 on PS2 made it better looking than MGS2. When you need to break it all down individually with different aspects of different games for a less impressive comparative...then well...that speaks well of IW really really knowing how to balance what it wanted in the big picture, the most important aspect of visual presence.

I don't disagree.

btw Ghillies mission was roxxor, I want more ghillies :lol\

edit: Which one is the guy I am to take care off? Leather jacket?

Just got to the part where the
nuclear bomb went off and my chopper crashed. OMG at the dude getting ripped out of the back, then me waking up and seeing the mushroom cloud.

Baker

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:

I can agree with that. My only problem is pretty much the only pre-release material I saw of the game was the single player PC demo. I believe I played it at 1920x1200 rez and it was pretty sweet looking, but nothing that completely dropped my jaw.

Then I buy the game and there's this huge "Most Photorealistic Game Evar" tagline across the top. It's not.

Mojovonio

Banned
belvedere said:
Lay off the black tar heroin man, we all aren't out to get you.

uh ok, I think you're a bit paranoid there, buddy.

I guess you know you're trying to stir shit, so whenever someone comments about one of your statements, you go straight into defense mode.

Big-E

This is getting fucking retarded. FS and BB still don't have it in yet here in Vancouver and the best part is they have no idea when it is coming in. Does anyone know of any store in Vancouver who has this in?

I'm with dark10x on this one, wasn't gonna say anything for fear of being hated but now that some people have said it. I'm just gonna go ahead and say CoD2 was more visually impressive to me when it came out then this is. The direction (art, sound, camera, etc) on this game however is what makes it great. I'm not saying the graphics are bad, they're good but not "HOLYSHIT!" good. Smoke trails are a bit on the ugly side, the textures are good, but nothing we haven't seen before, and the game has some odd inconsistencies in the lightning, like this.

MaX_PL said:
its probably cause DLP is outdated technology. get a real 1080p tv.
And what would that be? LCD/Plasma are older than DLP idiot.

A few shots of CoD4 on a Samsung 1080p DLP

dsc05297zx6.jpg

dsc05301ot5.jpg

dsc05305hn4.jpg

dsc05308fu7.jpg

dsc05324en8.jpg

dsc05332gv5.jpg

Baker

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
And what would that be? LCD/Plasma are older than DLP idiot.

A few shots of CoD4 on a Samsung 1080p DLP

Hehe. Thanks for sticking up for me and DLP rockers of the world.

I was going to reply to that nonsense, but couldn't think of a civil way to do it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not really a fan of taking off-screen shots as gospel. They always add a special layer of OMG! to things that doesn't exist when you play it in person. But that shot of the Bog really is representative of what you see (plus a little aliasing).

Mojovonio

Banned
dark10x said:
I just can't agree.

R:FOM is clearly pushing FAR more geometry and similar resolution textures. The lighting is a bit better in CoD4, but the game really feels very flat in comparison.

I still think GRAW looks better than both of them, however.

You don't live up to your tag!

Big-E said:
This is getting fucking retarded. FS and BB still don't have it in yet here in Vancouver and the best part is they have no idea when it is coming in. Does anyone know of any store in Vancouver who has this in?

Did you preorder?

bob_arctor said:
dsc05332gv5.jpg

Yes, yes they are. I said "HOLYSHIT!" just last night.
Shitty weapon models, shitty weapon skins, shitty character models (except for the the face of the mustachioed brit SAS) geometry starved environments, the list goes on and on.

The engine is dated and the game reflects that.

dark10x

MickeyKnox said:
Shitty weapon models, shitty weapon skins, shitty character models (except for the the face of the mustachioed brit SAS) geometry starved environments, the list goes on and on.

Wow, we finally agree on something.

Jesus, now you think the game look shitty?
Heh, no, not really. It just didn't impress me. I think there are a lot of dated looking aspects to the visuals that make it feel like a Quake 3 engine game or something. Even Half-Life 2 back in 04 looks better, if you ask me.

moai

MickeyKnox said:

?

this is a new one, at least for me.

MickeyKnox said:

Nah, they're pretty good actually. I agree on the rest though. Specially the weapons, they are kinda disappointing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PS3 version here. Played the 360 beta.

Online: smooth 60fps with some aliasing. Clear difference between this and the 360 beta IQ-wise.

Offline: dunno how the 360 runs, but to say this is a 60fps game is totally wrong. I'd call it a 30fps game with some peaks at 60fps. Basically, is 60fps when nothing is happening. 30fps when in a firefight. I've just finished the fight at the television studio and man did the frame rate drop a lot in there. Especially in that room filled with computer and monitors and RPG equipped enemies on second floor. Aliasing, shimmering (expecially on vegetation), bad shadowing is all there.

Plus, game is in Italian ONLY. I can't choose another language. WTF there is no room in a BD to put all the languages there? I hate to play games in my language as localization is usually pure crap.

Very unimpressed. It does look on par with GRAW2 as far as port quality goes.

Over and out.

edit: oh, Resistance >>> COD4 in every aspect.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This is the prettiest game I've ever played. I put it above Gears, just barely.

Someone Smoking Good Shit said:

dark10x

Reading TTP's impressions continues to make me wonder if I made a poor choice going with the PS3 version of the game. It doesn't drop framerate to 30 fps as much as he makes it seem (very rarely, anyways) but it does drops frames on a pretty constant basis (whenever you are facing a large area). Is this not true of the 360 version?

DaCocoBrova said:
Yeah, you've lost it.
No, I don't think so.

How could you really say otherwise? GRAW does everything better EXCEPT framerate (which has lost some of its appeal now that I've moved away from CRTs) and it's not as if CoD4 maintains a rock solid 60 either...

GRAW sports vastly superior lighting, particles, and environment details all on much much larger maps. They use a lot of cool effects that really made it feel incredible back in 2006 and it still looks excellent today.

926971_20060308_screen002.jpg

926971_20060308_screen001.jpg

926971_20060308_screen023.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
GRAW isn't 60fps.

GRAW's lighting pales in comparison

GRAW's particle effects pale in comparison

GRAW's modeling pales in comparison

GRAW's post processing effects pale in comparison

GRAW's gameplay pales in comparison

I can keep going, but there's no need.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DaCocoBrova said:
GRAW isn't 60fps.

You smoke some good shit as well :p

JB1981

TTP said:
PS3 version here. Played the 360 beta.

Online: smooth 60fps with some aliasing. Clear difference between this and the 360 beta IQ-wise.

Offline: dunno how the 360 runs, but to say this is a 60fps game is totally wrong. I'd call it a 30fps game with some peaks at 60fps. Basically, is 60fps when nothing is happening. 30fps when in a firefight. I've just finished the fight at the television studio and man did the frame rate drop a lot in there. Very unimpressed. It does look on par with GRAW2 as far as port quality goes.

Game is not a port. Looks and runs a million times better than GRAW 2 on the PS3. Framerate isn't quite as good on the PS3. And the lighting in COD 4 takes a giant crap on Resistance.

GRAW is also a boring, soulless, clunky game. And COD 4 online absolutely smokes it.

f@luS

More than a member.
JB1981 said:
Game is not a port. Looks and runs a million times better than GRAW 2 on the PS3. Framerate isn't quite as good on the PS3. And the lighting in COD 4 takes a giant crap on Resistance.
The framerate is the exact same , youre the one smoking. But it doesnt shit on resistance though.

I will agree for graw 2 (looks crap on ps3)

Rayme

A "dated engine"? Shitty wea-?

Hahahah; no. I'm all for the wonder of differing opinions, and having opposing tastes, but I suspect something pathological is at work, here.

dark10x

DaCocoBrova said:
GRAW isn't 60fps.

GRAW's post processing effects pale in comparison

GRAW's gameplay pales in comparison

As I said, I can only agree with you on framerate. GRAW uses high quality HDR lighting with fully dynamic shadows. I do not believe for a second that CoD4 is using HDR in the same fashion and it seems pretty obvious in motion. GRAW2 also introduces "God rays" into the mix which produces incredible sunlight effects ALMOST on par with Crysis.

The particles in CoD4 rely so heavily on large, flat objects to create smoke and fire just as they did in CoD2. GRAW has much more robust explosion effects that feel more satisfying. GRAW presents the player with a gigantic cityscape and sharp textures. CoD4 uses significantly smaller maps.

Post processing isn't even a content and gameplay is too subjective (though I can say that I really am not enjoying CoD4 all that much).

I wish I were as impressed as others in here, believe me. :\

Will get this tomorrow. PS3 or 360 version? Prefer the 360 controller, and already on live. Are the load times much of an issue? And are there any other differences?

Level 7 Boss is the gamertag if you want to score against a noob :lol

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
dark10x said:
Wow, we finally agree on something.
Let me chime in and agree. The PC demo hat some pretty bad graphics in parts. Even from that shot with the borked tanks on the bridge, if you move like 20 steps forward, it begins to fall apart IMO.

Don't agree about GRAW though, as I find its graphics equally overrated.

dark10x

Level 8 Boss said:
Will get this tomorrow. PS3 or 360 version? Prefer the 360 controller, and already on live. Are the load times much of an issue? And are there any other differences?

Level 7 Boss is the gamertag if you want to score against a noob :lol
Buy it on 360.

I'm getting the feeling that there is a framerate difference between the two. Both have a base framerate of 60 fps but there is plenty of slowdown on PS3. Though, at the very least, the PS3 version of CoD4 is MUCH smoother than CoD2 was on XBOX360 at launch. Still, it's sounding like the 360 version is the superior version (unless there is also slowdown present in that version).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
Looks and runs a million times better than GRAW 2 on the PS3.

Of course. Did I say otherwise? I said as a port, it looks like the same effort went into it. Source material is different (COD4 > GRAW2), but the downgrade "rate" is kinda similar.

Top Bottom